Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 07:48 AM   #1  

Default 3 Apples a Day? Anyone ever heard of this?

Gold's Gym registered dietitian Tammi Flynn discovered the link between apples and fat loss through coaching her clients in Health and Wellness programs and Gold’s Gym get in shape contests. As you'll read in her biography, when her clients started losing fat more quickly by adding a fresh apple eaten before each meal, it was easy to put one and one together. Apples and exercise are a key to healthy living, but Tammi felt that she discovered the key to help lose fat more quickly than by a low-fat diet and exercise alone.

And the 3-Apple-a-Day Plan was born.

The 3-Apple-a-Day Plan is part of Tammi’s overall “Get Lean” diet, a healthy, low-fat diet that she developed to help her Gold’s Gym clients dominate the annual get in shape contest.

To get the entire Plan, you may order it at GetfitFoods.com. The Success Kit contains Tammi’s Plan, the “Get Lean” diet, recipes, a guide to fat loss and more. Following the information in the Kit will give you the best results for losing fat.

You can also try it on your own. Just eat a fresh Washington Apple before each meal, follow a low-fat diet and exercise at least 3 times a week. It’s simple. And it's easy. You'll never get bored with apples, because every Washington variety works. Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious, Granny Smith, the list goes on. Find one you like, and stick with it. Or, try a different apple for every mood you're in. It doesn't matter. But what does matter is how you'll be losing fat from your body.

Apples help you to lose fat more quickly
Apples fill you up so you eat less. That part is obvious. What you might not know is apple fiber decreases the transit time of food in your digestive system. Apples help to keep you hydrated. And, the enzymes naturally found in apples may help your body to more efficiently digest foods that you eat. Plus, apples are easy to carry with you and available year ‘round. Finally, the sugar in apples satisfies your sweet cravings, so you'll likely eat better, but that same sugar does not spike your blood glucose level up and down like other sweet snack foods.

Eat at Least 5 Servings of Fruits or Vegetables a Day
Eating an apple before each meal counts toward the five recommended daily servings of fruits and vegetables. One medium apple, about the size of a tennis ball, is one serving of fruit. And obviously, apples contain the vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that your body needs to stay healthy and fit. Is it any wonder that Washington Apples are The Official Diet Pill of Gold's Gym International™?
Old 09-20-2003, 10:13 AM   #2  

I have heard of doing this and it makes total sense! I am gonna give it a shot. Do you know of anyone personally that did this before each meal and it worked? If so what was the result as far as weight loss? I love the lil granny smith apples!
Thanks for posting the info
Old 09-24-2003, 07:32 PM   #3  

has anyone got a reply on the 3 apples? it will work on ww so I too will give it a try.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:21 PM   #4  

I'm not familiar with the Tammi/Get Lean diet, but this was in the latest issue of Prevention magazine:

.................................................. ..................................................

"If you're not eating enough fruit or dairy, you're missing some powerful diet aids!

Fiber up to slim down. In a 12 weeks study of 35 overweight women, those who ate three pears or apples a day lost 30% more weight than women who ate a similar diet, minus the added fruit. Reseachers believe that the fruits high fiber, low calorie combo helps curb over eating because the fiber leaves you feeling fuller on fewer calories.

Moo-ve over belly fat. Obese people who ate three servings of fat free yogurt a day lost 22% more weight, 61% more body fat and 81% more abdominal fat than those who ate the same number of calories without the extra dairy, according to a study of 34 people.

Eating more dairy may lower levels of cortisol, a hormone that steers fat to the belly, so you lose more fat from your middle. "Any dairy will do." says study author Michael Zemel, PhD.

~Prevention Magazine, October 2003"

.................................................. .................................................

There has also been some research on some substance (can't remember if it's a hormone, protein, or what) that may be lacking in overweight people - it tells you when you're satisfied - and it seems to help produce this substance when you consume high-fiber foods. I heard Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN talking about it a few weeks ago, and he said it might be a good idea to start each meal with a high-fiber food.

I definitely think high-fiber foods help me to eat less, for whatever reason.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:34 PM   #5  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Irishgirl, hi.

I read an article in Woman's World magazine that was very similar to your post...did you happen to see it? It sounded so doable, and as Dollar Bill says, it's a WW friendly twist on our OP days. Sometimes these are the variations that keep us on track when we're in a slump or ready for a change.

If anyone has success with this, let us know!

Thanks for the post.

choosewell.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:09 PM   #6  

I can say this i started doing this monday and i eat one before i eat lunch and one before i eat dinner i feel much fuller quicker! I also weighed myself this morning and i have lost this week! I am down 144 from 149 last monday! Plus eating these apples makes me feel like i am doing something good for myself! I am gonna keep this up and i wil let you know how it goes! I find also that these apples help to curb my appetite! I dont feel like eating everything in the house for supper which is my weak time of the day!!!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #7  
Turtle Buddy

I really hate to be a wet blanket, folks, but there really are no magic foods. I'd get so tired of apples if I did this. I think the point is to increase your fiber intake by eating 3 servings of fruit and plenty of fresh veggies. Plus whole grains, beans, etc. Also, they tested fat free yogurt in that study, but skim milk or any other dairy has been shown to have the same result. So I think the important thing is to mix up your foods so you don't get bored. And make sure to eat the full compliment of fruits, veggies, whole grains, dairy, fat, and protein. In other words, a general, all-around, balanced diet in the right amounts for your body, either to lose the excess weight or to maintain it, depending on where you are in your journey.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #8  
Running Babe

I'm weird, I usually eat 2-3 apples a day anyway... I love them so much, they're one of my staple foods. I consider it as much a staple for me as whole wheat bread and fat free yogurt.

do what works for you!

Sure apples are not a magic pill, but they do have some really good health benefits regardless... Some excellent anti-oxidents in the darker red skinned ones too.

Lin: you'r e Yoda quote is one of my favorites and no you're not being a wet blanket, it's true, variety is a good thing too! I think my one mistake while losing weight was not eating enough fruit. I adore all fruits now Yet for me, it's just so easy to grab a small apple in the morning and then stick one in my lunch... I think that's why I eat so many!

Take care!

Ali
Old 09-25-2003, 11:00 AM   #9  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Actually...(this will prove I'm a squishy-wet blanket) I think 16oz of water curbs my appetite enough before a meal so that I am more thoughtful in my food choices.

Plans like the 3 apple a day deal add fibre, suppress your appetite...but I bet many people in the general (not yet WW!!!) world might not even be getting 3 F/V's a day, so this would be a vast improvement over their unadventurous eating habits.

Imagine being part of a non-WW world! Wow, what would that be like? For me, it would be less healthy, that's for sure.

Anyway, thanks for the additional perspectives.

choosewell.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:51 PM   #10  

I totally agree with the no magic pill deal! But i was not getting any fruit really before i discovered this lil trick,so now i am filling up a lil and getting my fruit in for the day i needed! So yes i agree 110% there is NO MAGIC PILL! Thanks for the input! So far however it is working for me!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:56 AM   #11  
Cowboy Up Chick

It is the basic concept of eatting something small, low cal and filling before eating your meal so you eat less at that meal. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Makes a bit of sense however water does the same thing for me. Helps me get full quicker so I don't eat as much with my dinner!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:21 PM   #12  

Apples are 2 points each. If I ate three apples a day that's 6 points which only leaves me 16 for the rest of the day. I'll stick to my one apple a day.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:34 PM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Just to disagree a minute fist size apple (about 2 1/2" around) is 1 point.

I eat an apple a day lately (with caramel of course).
Old 10-02-2003, 03:09 PM   #14  

Apples contain pectin and this is what causes you to feel fuller. There is really a reason behind this one - it won't work with just any fruit because it is not just the fiber.
Closed Thread