Weight Loss Support - Dr Phil's Weight Loss Challenge Thread #4

Young Grasshopper
09-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Hi Ladies :)

Hope everyone is done with work and off for the weekend! Going to post this quick so others can write.

Deb

Young Grasshopper
09-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Okay....back again!

Whomever mentioned the accountability person made me think. Not sure if I have such a person in my life. Maybe we should think of setting up an optional buddy system for those who'd like a email accountability person? Just a thought.

Angel...good job on all that studying. Made me think of the Farside comic with the kid raising his hand in class and asking to be excused because, "my brain is full".

Hope everyone has a great weekend! And remember...NEXT WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE SHOW IS ON MONDAY :)

Deb

Angel26519
09-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Deb- :LOL: on the Farside cartoon.... which reminded me of my neighbor - she is my adopt a mom..... she went to see her grandchildren a couple of months ago and they were talking her ears off telling her story after story.... finally she told them they had to stop.... that she was an old lady and has run out of room in her brain....

Sunny- Thank you for all your support.... got your pm but could reply back for some reason....

Anyway, I am truly looking forward to this.... as of last count we have 11 profiles filled out.... we are going to have a great group..... I am going to start making notes for the 1st post topics and should put it out late Sunday or 1st thing monday morning.....

Hope all is well with everyone....

Young Grasshopper
09-20-2003, 11:42 PM
Hi All,

Great job on the book thread Angel. Just a suggestion, although I don't know how we'll do it, but why not make each section a different thread? That way we can keep thoughts seperate, people can work at their own pace (maybe), and we won't end up with one huge thread?

Went to fill out the profile section, rambled, depressed myself :(, and decided to do it another day. Seems like a great group :) Can't wait for Mondays show! Maybe we should try and set up a chat time on Monday after each show? Don't know if I can make it all the time but it might be fun :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Deb

Angel26519
09-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Hey Deb-

Each week we will have a new thread.... one for each weeks discussion.... they will be open for that week and then Suzanne said she would close the thread to further posts....... they will still be where we can read them you just cant post on them....

I am looking forward to it........ We are getting a very large group together and it is exciting!

Dont forget to get your intro done Deb! We want to know where you are starting and how we can help you! Rambling is allowed :) We are there for you!

How is everyone else doing????

LuckyLadyBug
09-21-2003, 11:43 AM
I have loved Dr. Phil since her first started appearing on Oprah, I love reading, and I hate being fat so this is the place for me.

Angel: The one point under #1 You Either get it or you don't from the June 2001 show:

You may have a fear of NOT failing - of being thin and then having no excuses

REALLY struck a cord with me. I couldn't help but think, WHY do I know I believe this? Especially when all the "messed" up people I know are thin. It's not like being thin makes ones life blissful.:dizzy:

But, I have complete faith, that with all of us working together we CAN get ourselves smaller and healthier.

SunnyD57
09-21-2003, 12:44 PM
http://members.aol.com/gardenmail/irnewch79.gif

Good Morning gals! Just wanted to let you know that I just printed up Book Club Introduction # 24!! WoW! :o We are going to have quite a club going! This is exciting isn't it! I just finish my 1 - 46 pages and wanted to go further, but decided to wait... I want it all to be fresh on my mind when we chat. I have never done this before --- Book Clubbing --- so I hope you'll be there to guide me ;) and others like me. I love the idea that there is a format, so we don't go all over the place.

Well, you all have a wonderful Sunday!
God Bless!

:wave: Hello there LADYBUG! :)

SunnyD57
09-21-2003, 06:01 PM
26 now :dance:
Whew! Gettin' up there... :D

Bev
09-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone, well I am off to do my introduction so I will be ready for monday. Bev

SunnyD57
09-21-2003, 06:12 PM
Hi BEV! You will be # 27!! :dance:

I secretly wanted to be a cheerleader :lol: :lol:

Angel26519
09-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Hi Everyone!

Quicl post....having computer problems and hubby is working on installing a new driver....

I was hoping to have the first discussion posted at midnight tonight but it might end up being in the morning because of the computer issues.... sorry ladies....

Anyway, I will get it done soon. Hope everyone is doing great!

So Many People!!!! Yeah!!!

mauvaisroux
09-22-2003, 08:38 AM
This is great - we currently have 30 people in the book club! :)

I have read my chapter but won't be able to discuss tonight. I have work followed by my WW meeting and after that I am going to a concert so I probably won't be able to post until tommorrow evening. I am also taping today's episode of Dr. Phil.

SunnyD57
09-22-2003, 08:53 AM
:wave: Morning!

It IS great, Mauv... but we have 29 with Mitchypoo

Still waiting for #30 (where are youuu :?: )...
I have printed out each person and #'d them to add to my Book Club Binder that I started.

Didn't count Angel's example in the beginning or any comments made in between them ;)

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!

A NEW BEGINNING FOR US :bravo: ALL

Angel26519
09-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Good Morning!

I have started the discusiion thread! I hope it gives people ideas on some things to discuss..... also add anything else you want to talk about....

I want this to be an open forum for all discussion and debates!!!!

Have a great day all!

nanj
09-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Can someone give me a synopsis of the Dr. Phil show today. I missed it and it didn't tape! I went to the his website but couldn't get the slideshow to work. What was the life and death situation mentioned? Is there anyway beside buying the tape of seeing it again?

I did try one of his bars this weekend. Nothing special I think it was a chocolate peanut bar. The taste wasn't bad, but I felt like I had a waxy coating on my teeth after I was done. I think the calories were around 230, five or six grams of fiber; can't remember anything else. Don't think I would buy it again.
nanj

sillymonkey
09-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Here's the text from the slide show. It's not played in my area yet, but this seems like a pretty good synopsis:

When all 13 Weight Loss Challenge finalists are inside the mansion, where they will be living for the next five days, Dr. Phil greets them via a video conference call. "Congratulations guys!" he tells them. Their first task is to decide whom they want to share a room with.
"One more thing you should know," Dr. Phil adds. "There is a twist. There are 13 of you now, but only eight of you will get the chance to work with me one on one over the next 10 months to change your lives. That's right, five of you will not make the cut. Play this game hard. Your life may well depend on it."
After the Weight Loss Challengers choose their roommates, they start spending time exploring their new digs!
The kitchen is stocked with goodies, from Ding Dongs and Doritos to pork rinds and peanut butter. They order in food for dinner, and get frustrated when it doesn't come promptly. "They don't know who they're pissing off," jokes Jim, "a bunch of angry, fat people."
After they finally eat, there's a cake to celebrate Fred's birthday. "What are y'all trying to do to us?" asks Angela, as everyone else chimes in about being sabotaged.
That was not Dr. Phil's motive. "It's OK to have a piece of cake on your birthday," he explains. "The problem is when you have the whole cake when it's anybody's birthday!"
Key 4 in The Ultimate Weight Solution is mastery over food and impulse eating. By the time they finish the challenge, even Fred, who loves birthday cake, will be able to control himself.

Key 7 of The Ultimate Weight Solution teaches you to surround yourself with a circle of support. To find out who in their lives was helping or hurting, we listened in on their conversations when they called their loved ones at home.
"I'm bummed out," says Terri's fiance, who doesn't like the idea of her living with other men for five days.
"I want to lose this weight," Terri tells him. "I need to do this Charlie."
After all of the challengers call home, they have an individual "confessional." Angela, who's in a relationship with a man who's embarrassed to introduce her to others, says, "It's time for me to heal a lot of issues in my life."
Kimberly cries. "I don't see how being away from my family and the ones that I love is going to help me lose weight," she says. "I'm trying to get focused on why I'm here and that is to lose weight and to do something for myself."

On their first morning in the house, the early birds are given a tour of Hollywood homes and take a trip to the grocery store, while the late risers are given the task of cleaning up the kitchen.

Later, the group has their first explosive moment. Key 3 is to create a no-fail environment, so some of the challengers thought it would be best if they got rid of the tempting treats that were in the house.

Not everyone liked that idea, and tempers started to flare over the issue. Then, an off-color joke about a rapist didn't go over well with the group; for some, the joke hits too close to home.

In order to truly succeed at losing weight and keeping it off, you have to exercise. So Dr. Phil sends his own personal trainer, Robert Reames to put the challengers through their paces.
Each challenger also has a medical meeting with Dr. Arnold Diaz, who takes a closer look at Monika's heart condition, the pain Leslie experiences when she exercises, and other issues they face.

Over the course of their five days in the house, the challengers get to know each other better, especially bonding when Donnie sings his "Weight Loss Challenge Blues!

When Dr. Phil makes a surprise visit, he tells them: "My view is that if you don't do this, a lot of you are going to die too soon. You've got to be willing to change your entire existence ... You couldn't be in the the shape you're in if you didn't have a lifestyle to support it. This is a disease, but it is a disease of choice. You are addicted to food. And this is a big-time intervention."
Turning to Sarah, he says, "You're 22 years old. You can turn this around right now. Do you want to live your entire life as the fat girl?"
The message hits home hard, as Dr. Phil continues, "You will never have a better chance than you have right now, never have more help, never have a better offer than you have right now... Y'all have no idea how proud I am of every one of you. You have no idea how seriously I take the fact that you've put enough trust in me to be in this room and do this. I am so committed. You will not fail."

nanj
09-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Thank you sillymonkey! Seems like a I missed quite a bit. Dang VCR! I haven't got all the names straightened out yet, the heart condition lady, what was her age? I have to be honest I would like very much to work one-on-one with Dr. Phil, but I don't think that I could live in a house with complete strangers! So five are getting the boot, that is very dramatic! I'm kind of disappointed about that. Wonder what the booted people will do? Wonder if that will be one more type of disappointment that they will have to face or maybe he knows because of their actions that they will never take the seven steps seriously.
Thanks!

gemini
09-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey all.... been away for a few days, and I have missed all the introductins!!!! I'm off to go find them.............

Angel26519
09-23-2003, 11:07 AM
FYI- Todays show is supposed to be a continuation of yesterdays!

Young Grasshopper
09-23-2003, 07:27 PM
So what did people think of today's show? (tuesday). I found that I could identify with almost every woman there.

What really struck me was the woman with the most to lose, sorry can't remember her name, and his comments about victimization. Really rang true for me. The whole idea of that was then and this is now might come off as cold but he had a good point. What I have allowed myself to do, thinking that I was protecting myself - hiding, has continued the pain of the past. Not to mention it has created a shadow life for me. Know what I mean?

I'm really working to define what purpose my weight serves. And I find that it's not an easy question to answer....

Thanks to all for their posts on the book site. I especially appreciated the comment by the person who'd been injured and on a couch for a year. Been there, doing that, and trying to get my butt motivated to exercise. Hard to believe how weak I've become. Even harder to have patience with myself.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Deb

Angel26519
09-23-2003, 09:14 PM
What struck me most was when he said:

"Everybody has a role in Life - What is your role????"

What Role would you like to have????

Too Deep for words.

SunnyD57
09-30-2003, 05:30 PM
This Thread will continue after the DR PHIL BOOK CLUB has completed...

Please come back then and join us all for continued support to get you to your goal :)

God Bless us all!