Exercise! - Walking vs. biking question

View Full Version : Walking vs. biking question

Topaz
09-16-2003, 02:19 PM
So, I walk a lot. I love to walk. I walk to work every day. Recently three different people have suggested to me that I bike instead. However, I have the idea that since I'm going a set distance, walking gives me the most benefit. Am I totally off in thinking this? If I walk, it takes 45 minutes, and if I biked, it would take a lot less time. I have the vague idea that either the same time or the same distance of biking and walking uses the same number of calories, but I don't know which or even if that's true. :?: Does that sentence even make sense? :lol: I'm even confusing myself, now.

lilmuffin
09-16-2003, 04:51 PM
I have also been wondering the same question. My sister and I walk atleast 3 miles a day and it takes about 45 minutes. I would think that you'd have to go farther to get same benefits as walking but I'd love to hear someone else's opinion. I just keep thinking of that little bicycle seat and my big rear-end(lol).

bicker
09-17-2003, 08:12 AM
At a set distance, walking will be more beneficial than biking. At a set time, it is very possible that biking will be more beneficial in many ways.

Topaz
09-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Thank you, Brian! That's what I hoped it was. So ha ha on those overly opinionated people who keep giving me (unwanted) advice; I am already doing the right thing for me. :D How come it's always people who don't get much exercise or take care of themselves who want to tell me what to do, anyway? :lol: