Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 11:28 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Amy, the third chick in 3FC, is to have weight loss surgery

You may or may not be familiar with Amy, our older sister that is the third chick in 3FC. She has not been active with the website in a long time, because she has battled various health and personal problems. These problems have had a direct effect on her weight.

Amy did lose a considerable amount of weight when we began the site, but she regained it and then developed a lot of health problems. For various reasons, she was never able to successfully lose the weight again through traditional diet and exercise programs.

After researching weight loss surgery for the last year, Amy decided that this would be the best option for her at this time.

Her surgery is scheduled for Tuesday morning, Sept 16. We will keep you updated on her progress.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:34 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

thanks for the info, suzanne... we're here for her.. give her our love and support.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:48 AM   #3  

Thank you Suzanne for letting us know about Amy. I shall be thinking of her all day and sending good vibes etc to her and to you her sisters.

Keep well keep

Regards

Yo-Yo Dee
Old 09-16-2003, 03:54 AM   #4  

Good thoughts and prayers to Amy. Grammy
Old 09-16-2003, 05:24 AM   #5  
she who must be obeyed

Amy will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

thank you Suzanne for letting us know.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:32 AM   #6  

Tuesday, September 16th.... why....that is TODAY!!!!!!

Hoping and praying for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery for Amy!

peach
Old 09-16-2003, 06:43 AM   #7  
it's always something

Thanks everyone! The countdown has begun, she is scheduled for 7:30 and it's 6:40 right now.

Where did the nervous smilie go?!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:47 AM   #8  

Suzanne hang in there sweetie! Once she gets in there they will move her pretty quickly with paper work and questions and tests and "stuff". Sounds like she may be the first one up and they'll wisk her in!

everything is crossed on my end!
peach
Old 09-16-2003, 09:21 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thinking very good thoughts for Amy and for her wonderfully supportive sisters.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:21 AM   #10  

Will be thinking of her - a good friend of mine had bariatric surgery last February - she weighed 246 and has lost about 60 pounds and is looking wonderful.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:19 AM   #11  
Spreadin' the luv.

Good for Amy - I'm hoping this is the "thing" that turns her health around for good. All 3 of you have been so wonderful in setting up and maintaining this site, and for just being yourselves!

Wishing Amy speedy recovery, then many days sleeping deeply, bouncing out of bed, size 12 clothes and much trotting through meadows.

Hey, I'll join you in wishing that for myself!
Old 09-16-2003, 01:28 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

Amy is out of surgery. The surgery went well, and they took her gallbladder while they were there. She is in severe pain right now. Suzanne and I didn't go to the hospital. Amy is in another town not too far away, but she asked that we wait and see her this weekend. Our Mom and Dad were there, and they said her pain relief pump may not be working. 2 hours after surgery she is awake and talking quite a bit, and she said that this pain was far worse than when she had her hysterectomy. The pain medication apparently isn't doing anything - hopefully that will be resolved soon.

She says it hurts to breathe - Our mom thinks possibly due to the incision being high and near her lungs. I don't know the exacts, but my mother said they cut her from her chest (not sure how high that really means) to her belly button. I am not very familiar with the specifics...is that a normal incision for Open R-N-Y? Did anybody here have extreme pain after surgery? I think she is pretty tolerant to pain, at least with what I have seen.

Thanks for all of your well wishes and prayers, I know Amy will appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #13  

Here's hoping that she's over all that horrible pain soon. Hopefully she will feel so much better being on the other side of her surgery that she will soon forget this current pain.
Give her my best!
Chickadee
Old 09-16-2003, 01:47 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

oh dear. i thought she was having lap surgery not open... yes.. there is a whole lot more pain with the open, and they'd better make sure that her morphine pump is working!!!!!!!

and that incision is typical. remember, her stomach has been cut, and her intestines as well in a couple of places. it's not an easy thing.

but sounds like she's in good hands, once they get the pain under control.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:06 PM   #15  
it's always something

Amy has always been tolerant to pain, and that's why this throws me, given the degree of pain they say she's having.

I just spoke with Mom and she said the pump was digital but nothing was happening when they clicked it, so they didn't know if she was getting any morphine or not.

She expected this to be like her hysterectomy, and I would have thought so, too. However, she said that was a breeze compared to this, and she never thought anyone could feel this much pain. She kept saying she was sorry and blamed herself for it.

She said it hurts so bad to breathe that she's afraid to go to sleep because she doesn't think she will wake up.

Jiffypop, Amy said this was the surgery that her doctor recommended, he said it would be better for her, so she accepted it. I wish she'd have gone with the lap band, but she's really put herself in their hands because she was just so excited to have it done. I know she regrets it now.

Today will be a very long day for her, I so hope she will fall asleep, and tomorrow will be a better day.
Closed Thread