South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 07:48 AM   #1  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Boot Camp Physical Fitness-Day 19

Ten Hut!

This week begins a weeklong look into getting physically fit. We all know it is something we SHOULD do, and why it is so good for us. But so few of us manage to make it a part of our lives on a regular basis. Why?

For many of us I believe it goes back to our childhood. Were you the last to be picked for teams? And did it bother you? Did your parents encourage you to take part in sports or were you noncompetitive? Did you think that sports were for boys? Did you think strong girls were a bit, well...unfeminine? Did your parents model an active lifestyle? Did you enjoy Phsy Ed class and learn a lot of skills or did you just suffer through?

Maybe you were lucky and grew up with a great attitude about being physical. But then you grew up and life got in the way. You were in college and couldn't find the time. You had kids and time was an issue again. But then when you did have the time you just couldn't translate what you enjoyed as a child into a program you could live with as an adult?

Today your challenge is to closely examine your attitude about fitness. What is your attitude? How did you get it? What role did childhood play in developing your attitude? Has your attitude changed at all over the years? I would like to hear a bit from each of you about your "FAT" (Fitness-Attitude Towards ) Tell us about being physical as a child...Yes? No? Maybe so?

I'll start. My mom used to go tell us to run around the block, but that was to get us out of her hair, I'm sure. I hated gym class, except swimming. I hated to compete, and still do. I never knew it was okay to be strong. It was definately NOT COOL to be a jock when I was in school. Not that I would have been even if it WAS COOL! When I joined the US Air Force I made it through basic training, but just barely. When we had our annual physical fitness test I opted for the 3 mile walk, not the 1.5 mile run. I was thankful I wasn't a Marine! I had NO knowledge of basic exercise physiology, and didn't know cardio from Cartier.

So, as you can see, the deck was kind of stacked against me from the start!

Tomorrow we'll talk more about FAT and how to change yours!

Don't forget the trinity while we do all this other fun stuff, okay?

My activity minute for Day 18-I'm embarrassed to say...ZERO...unless trolling the mall counts! I'm off to get some serious cario in right now! Don't forget to post your minutes so I can keep a tally! Our goal for this week is 1500!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:02 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

waaaaaaaaaaah! I WAS the last to be picked for teams!
However, in high school I started running every day. Just a mile. But it made me feel really good, and I still love running to this day. It makes me feel asexual. Cool. Strong.

Dad was always VERY fit, but we had older parents, and they were "tired" where parenting was concerned. We took the odd swimming lesson, but other than that, it was stacking wood, helping to build a cottage, hiking trails while camping, canoeing... actually, it doesn't sound too bad.

I WAS fit as a child/young adult... it was the food that did me in. It caught up to my metabolism.
Now I hate the THOUGHT of deliberately exercising for my health, but I always feel better for doing it.

I'm not going to the gym today, but I'm going to do some house work, and I'm going to feel "butch and strong" while doing it! I'm going to squat instead of leaning over to pick something up. I'm going to carry things up the two flights of stairs immediately instead of leaving them at the bottom to be taken up "when it's convenient".

Good reminder, Franny! Thank you!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:05 AM   #3  
Imagine...

lets see fitness.....

was ok as a kid, my problem I think is taking care of everyone else. I am so used to being caretaker of the world when I exercise I always think I should be doing something else. For example how can I waste 30 minutes exercising when the laundry needs doing & the floors have not been mopped in weeks. In my mind I realize the exercise is for me and the housework will always be there. I can't take care of anyone until I take care of myself. Maybe if I wake up a little earlier......I could get in a few minutes without the guilt.

Anyway that's just me.......next
Old 09-15-2003, 08:06 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, my broken toe and I had a talk this morning and I told him to get over it! Toes are male because of the shape, by the way. I lerned that in Physiology 101.
So....we are going to attempt a dog walk down for the paper in a bit. I am putting the pedometer back on but know there is no way for 10,000 steps today.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:17 PM   #5  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

i was always an active child, played sports through high school, and went to college on a softball scholarship - that was never my problem - of course i was never a "skinny minnie" either - always with some meat on my bones

after my softball career was over, i still ran and worked out, but couldn't get the weight off.

after i got together with my DF and started birth control, it got even worse - the pounds just were stuck to me it seemed. I trained for a half marathon (13.1 miles) last fall and only lost 3 pounds during the entire process - i mean, i was running like crazy, but to no avail)

it's always been the food issue with me - i joined WW in february, lost 11 pounds, gained back 8, and quit. I've been doing SBD since mid-august (about 4 weeks) and have lost the re-gained 8 pounds plus 2 more!!

i've also got back on the ball with running and doing some pilates/yoga exercises which i think have been helping

hang in there girls!!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:23 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

All I can say is
OUCH!
Obviously it's a bit early to take my toe for a walk!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #7  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

so far my minutes for the week: 60 (ran/walked for 60 minutes on Sunday)

or does it start on Monday??
Old 09-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #8  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Just a quickie before I take DS to the dentist....fillings, plus he has a front tooth hanging on by a thread. Hopefully the dentist will make quick work of it while he's mucking about.

Ellis, here's to "butch and strong!" Hike those stairs, squat to get that stray sock...that's the ticket!

sflake-Feeling guilty over spending time on yourself is counterproductive in my mind! I mean, I would rather my kids have an active, alert, fit mom who will be around a while than a spanking clean house! What you do for yourself benefits your family, too!

Ruth-I want to know where you took your physiology class! Although the fact that your toe stubbornly refuses to heal lends credence to your theory!

Lucky-I have NEVER liked to run...it hurts my ears, oddly enough! I can walk like there is no tomorrow, but run? Only if my life depended on it! Good for you getting back in the swing of things! And your minute for yesterday do, indeed, count!

I did NOT get my workout in today! I am trying to get a charter yacht tour organized for our cruise and ran into a snag. Then I spent 2 1/2 hours in the orthodontist chair getting braces on my bottom teeth I think they let the new tech practice on me...it took FOREVER. My new, revised goal for today is to just make it to naptime in one piece. Sometimes we just have to be realistic.

Hope you all have a great day! So far it seems most of you had pretty active childhoods, so that is great! Tomorrow we'll take a look at how being active as an adult is different.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:05 PM   #9  
In Control: E+R=O

I'm with ellis, I was always one of the last to be picked for teams! Such an unfair way to do things, in my opinion. Someone (usually me) always got their feeling hurt. Do they still do it this way?

I am very unathletic, klutzy, uncoordinated, and self-conscious. I was your typical bookworm growing up, I learned to read very young and spent a lot of time with my books. I didn't play any sports. After college I took a lot of jazzercise, aerobics, water-aerobics, step-aerobics, and yoga classes, but eventually fell out of the habit and never got back into it. Right now I am the ultimate couch potato, but I'm slowly working into getting back into the exercise habit (thanks in large part to you chicks, and to franny's boot camp!)

My exercise total for Sunday was the 1 mile WATP tape....that takes about 20 minutes I think?
My exercise for today is a 20 minute walk over my lunch break at work, and the 1 mile WATP tape again, for a total of 40 minutes.

Ellis, it sounds like you were very active as a child....what fun activities! And you know, housework can be more physically exhausting than working out, at least in my house...of course if I did it more often I wouldn't have so much to do when I finally do get around to it!

sflake, I know how you feel about mopping the floors, hateful job! I finally broke down and thoroughly cleaned all of my pergo floors this weekend, and then it rained again so now they're once again full of little doggy footprints. I have to admit, I love the pergo because it does tend to hide dirt pretty well.

Ruth, I'm sorry to hear your toe is still bothering you. It pretty much affects your whole body when you foot or part of your foot hurts. Interesting thought about the shape of the toes....now I'll never look at my toes the same way again!

Lucky13, you put me to shame with all of your activities. Good for you (literally!)

franny, you absolutely deserve a day off!! Wow, you and your poor mouth.....but think of how wonderful it will be when you finally get your braces off!! I hope you enjoyed your nap. If I haven't said it before (and even if I have, it's worth repeating), you are such an inspiration and great motivation for me!! Thanks for doing the boot camp and keeping us on our toes and keeping us honest!
Old 09-15-2003, 07:26 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Pvt. Lizzie reporting after a week away from camp.

We had a great vacation, very resful and most enjoyable. We did manage to walk every day, starting out with about 40 minutes and finally 1 hour. I think that was my salvation, as I was not careful about the program at all. So my gain was 1.5, less than expected.

I grew up on a farm and did all that sort of work. But I have always been on the 'chubby side', so I know about the always being last to be picked on the team, and being called uncomplimentary names. I did horseback riding, and alot of walking. I can't run either, Franny. And it is really bad for the joints so walk up a storm. We tried to swim a lot in the summer. In college we had P.E which was a joke. So my college exercise was walking from class to class and downtown, etc. as I had no car.

I am probably more fit now than I have been in years, as I go to Curves 3 times a week. walk most days, and ride my bike.
also go to the pool as often as I can. Retirement has given me time to do those things.

My exercise minutes today- 45 minutes walking, 30 minutes at Curves.

Glad to be back at camp! Lizzie
Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 PM   #11  

Didn't exercise yesterday (Sunday) but today I did my 45 minutes on the treadmill before work, 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer and 30 minutes at the gym after work ... (yes, I sound like a lunatic but this is more stress relief than anything else) ... stayed op with the food and drank 8 - 24 oz bottles of water ...

Ruth, don't walk until your toe says you can ... if it doesn't heal right the first time it never will ...

Great job everyone!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:55 PM   #12  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Group Activity for Sunday & Monday-315 minutes!

We are doing really well! I shouldn't say "we" since not a single one of those minutes are mine! Tomorrow will be better, I promise. I called off sick from work for tonight. The orthodontist left a bracket prong (a little metal tab thingie) sticking out and it has cut my tongue several times already. Back to the orthodontist first thing tomorrow. Until then, no talking.

My poor DS lost a front top tooth before we even got to the dentist, then got "wiggly" in the chair and caused another one to be knocked out! It was loose, but still! : We are a pair tonight!

Lizziepie, welcome back! I really hope I don't have to wait until retirement to get fit! I just have to find a way to make it fit my schedule...or vice versa.

2dog-I know you meant to say you WERE klutzy, uncoordinated and self-conscious, right? Not now, right? Well, we'll just have to work on that, private!

Nikki-you go, girl! I know what you mean about stress reduction...my stress levels go WAY up when I don't work out. And that just makes it more difficult to get back to it the next day.

See you all tomorrow....get some rest because revelie comes mighty early at this camp!
Closed Thread