Weight Loss Support - One-week-at-a-time challenge #1 -- Give it a try!!

redballoon
09-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Hello, everyone, this is another challenge in the spirit of the 21-Day challenge, which I am planning to continue (having taken up the baton from our founder Amarantha). I'm on my third 21-day challenge and it's great! BUT. . .

I wanted something else, something short and sweet, where I can buckle down and go all out on and yet still come up for air before I burn out. So, I want to start up a ONE-WEEK CHALLENGE. :sunny: Here, we'll look at the week as a whole, which also means we have room for slipups and unexpected evenings out, or whatever.

So, unlike the 21-dayer where you commit to doing something every, single day for 21 days straight or have to go back to START and count over the One-Week-at-a-Time challenge is going to be about things like saying; I will go to the gym 3x this week, or I keep my calories to a total of 14,000 for the week, or I will not eat anything after 6 p.m. 3x this week. So, if you want to eat 14,000 calories one day and fast for the next 6 fine! :lol: Or, you can go to the gym three days straight and then flop back and do absolutely zilch for the next four.

This way of attacking things will allow you to customize your challenge to suit yourself, allow for tortoise types and hare types to do their own thing AND means that getting back after after a fall doesn't mean you've lost any ground at all. It'll inspire that crucial element of success -- the POWER TO PERSIST!! I think it'll be a great motivator and great source of empowerment!! :encore:

SO, come on!! If you're interested please jump aboard and tell us your plan for the week and then keep us posted with progress reports and tell us when your goal is accomplished, be it early in the week or at the end. I'll do this starting Monday and wrapping up Sunday night of each week.

Hope to see you! :wave: PLEASE, join me!

redballoon
09-14-2003, 11:40 PM
This space is reserved for our challengers. I'll write your names and challenges here and the date you've completed your challenge for the week and update it as we go along. I'm going to start a new thread each week but carry this data over so you can see how many challenges you've done.
:strong: ONE-WEEK-AT-A-TIME CHALLENGERS :strong:

** redballoon: (3x/week no food ('cept for protein shake) after 6 p.m.):

** doIlookfat?: (5x/week min. 3 mile WATP tape or 1 hr. walk, max of 3 junk foods):

** cerise: (count calories every day)

** jackieO: (work out at gym 5x, eat healthy on Friday night, drink 80 oz. water daily, vitamin daily, no starchy carbs after 3 p.m. 4x/week, no weighing til next week)

** Sandybrat: (yoga 5x/week, pilates 3x/week)

** jelynn: (80 oz water daily, exercise 4x/week, no eating out before weekend)

** friendsforfitness: (walk briskly for no less than 20 mins. daily):

** M.N.J.: (AB workouts 3-4x/week)

redballoon
09-14-2003, 11:43 PM
My plan for this week is to NOT eat anything after 6 p.m. on three days of this week (from Sept. 15 through Sept. 21 with new challenge starting next Monday). The only thing I can have after 6 p.m. is a protein powder shake made with protein powder (one scoop) and no more than 300 ml of skim milk.

OK, here goes! When I've done three nights clean I've made it this week.

doIlookfat?
09-15-2003, 02:17 AM
For this week, I will either walk an hour outside or do the 3 mile WATP tape at least 5 times , and be allowed only 3 junk food items at the most. How does this sound?

I'll modify it next week, if need be.

Thanks for the challenge!

Heidi
155/150/130 (water weight gone:) )

redballoon
09-15-2003, 02:39 AM
Welcome doIlookfat!! Thanks for joining the challenge. Please fill me in on what the WATP tape is. I think it's a walking tape, right? Culturally (at least from the States), I'm a bit out of it. So, 5x 3 mile tape or 1 hr. walk and only 3 junk foods allowed over the next week. Sounds great! Good luck! :spin:

redballoon
09-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Well, it looks like this is going to be my first night without eating. I ate a bit in the afternoon, actually not much and then rode the bike to the gym, worked out and because it was going to be 6 p.m. I drank the protein shake I'd brought with me because it had fruit in it and that wouldn't be allowed on my challenge. Then I cycled home and am really kind of hungry but I think, no, what the heck. I can make it through a few more hours and then I can get rid of one of the three days of no food after 6 this week. :spin: I'm drinking water and trying to keep myself distracted from thinking about eating. I figure, if I only have to do it 3x this week I can do it!!

Sure hope to see some more people around here. It's just doIlookfat? and myself right now.
:wave:

Cerise
09-15-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm in! Hel-LO, RedBalloon!

This week I'm going to count calories every day until next Monday. No free days!

jackieO
09-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Count me in too, Redballoon!!!
My challenge this week consists of attending the gym 5 times.(and working out, haha)
Eating healthy on Fri night when I have dinner with my best friend. (This is the most important, beacuse I do well all week and then screw it up on Fri night).
Drinking 80 ounces of h2o a day and taking a multivitamin.
Not eating starchy carbs after 3 p.m. at least 4 days this week
Not weighing myself until NEXT week. I am getting too discouraged for that nonsense.
Anyway, I will let you know how I do!!!!

Sandybrat
09-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Hello ladies!! I am in!! My goal is to do my yoga 5 times this week and my pilates 3 times this week. One day down and 4/2 to go!! Good Luck to everyone!!

Sandy:dance: :flow1:

jelynn
09-15-2003, 06:01 PM
I'd like in!!!
My goals for the week:
80 oz water *every day*
exercise 4x
no eating out before the weekend

We can do this everyone!! :)

doIlookfat?
09-15-2003, 09:23 PM
checking in for today. I exercised (walked 1 hour) this morning and ate very well. No piggying out and no junk. This is 3 days for me!:bravo:

I have a conference tomorrow with dd's teacher (so weird, for 8 years I was the teacher! I love staying home.:devil: So it is the WATP 3 miler.

Redballoon.....WATP is a video workout called Walk Away the Pounds. They have 1, 2, 3 and now 4 mile workouts. They are very simple, with weights too, and really get me sweating.

Gotta make a quick getaway. Ds just spilt Chunky Soup all over the rug. Somedays try the soul. But I'm NOT going to eat over this stressful situation. I'm going to clean it up, and go on.

Have a great day. Wish I was having one.

Heidi

redballoon
09-16-2003, 01:56 AM
Thank you all for joining me! Cerise, is there a limit to your calories or are you just counting? That's something I need to do, too. Maybe a later challenge.Good luck!

jackieO, hello and your challenge sounds very ambitious. Oh, and heh, I've been known to just GO to the gym, do nothing and turn around and go home. And that was my goal, just getting there. Usually I do that little trick because I wind up working out but I also think it's a great thing to know that it's really not a trick. If you can't stand the thought of working out then you feel free to say, promises are promises and leave. It helps to just get there. It really does. Well, you're probably a lot more eager and raring to go than I have been at times in the past. Good luck and please check in and tell us how you're doing during the week.

Sandybrat, welcome. Lots of exercise, OK!! :bravo: for one day down!

jelynn, water and exercise and refraining from eating out till weekend. Sounds good. There was an interesting link to why drinking water is good for you from another thread. Here it is:
http://www.weightloss-dieting.info/water.html

doIlookfat? :bravo: to you for a successful day! :cp: Thanks for the WATP explanation. I've never tried something like that. I hear there are some great cycling ones too, like that have you touring through the Swiss Alps and so. OK, Chunky Soup on the carpet crisis? Hope you got through that without eating through it. I'm finally learning to deal with the stress/eat link. I'm so so much better than even recently and night and day from years ago when I was really bad and at my top weight.

Well, reporting in here. I DID IT!! :dance: I got through last night without eating anything. And the first thing when I woke up this morning was, "I CAN EAT!" The great thing was is that I didn't pig out then. I just ate what I always do, a quick cup of muesli with nonfat milk before running out the door. I feel empowered! I did this. I don't think I've ever not eating after sundown. Really. I may do it again tonight but knowing I only have to do it two more times this week makes me feel so good! :cb:

Ok, all, please keep in touch and new challengers, jump in, even if the week is started you can do something, anything in the remaining time.

Take a look at the second from the top post in this thread. I've added everyone's name and challenge. Good for a quick reference.

Sandybrat
09-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Good Morning ladies!! Well 2 days down with my yoga!! got up early so i could do it ALONE lol no kids hanging around asking what ya doin?? lol they were still asleep! Hope u all have a great day!!

Sandy:dance: :flow1:

jackieO
09-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Accomplished my goal yesterday...drank my water,made it to the gym and did an hour power circuit, ate healthy, FORGOt to take my multiviatmin.....But my legs hurt so bad from the squats I say...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!!

On Track so far today...will let you know later!!!!!

redballoon
09-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Sandybrat, thanks for the report. Okay, yoga is out of the way for 2 days. Only 3 more times for this week. And great planning there to get it done while the lil' ones were still asleep. Good for you!

And jackieO, major day there for you! Uh-oh, if your legs are hurting already from the squats I hope you can walk today! Pop some aspirin and consider that pain your badge of honor! You are a warrior! And talking about popping pills, just take two vitamins today and give yourself an A+! :cp:

Ok, I did it again. I've now got two days of not eating after 6 p.m. under my belt (and hopefully that belt will be loosening up. truth is I never wear belts because I wouldn't dare show them and accentuate the fact that I have NO waist) But yes, I had a similar day of going to the gym and working out very heavy, then drinking a protein shake I'd made and taken with me in the thermos. But then, and this is where it got tough, I had to go out and was actually out and around town for the next 4 hours whereas the previous night I was home and relaxing and into bed early. Well, last night I was SO hungry and I was about to eat something but again, just kept saying, I've made it this far, just DO IT and eat tomorrow. So I did and here I am, with 2 down and only 1 to go.
Hurrah for me!

Oh, and it was funny. When I was lying in bed last night something rumbled and I thought it was my mobile phone going off (on vibration mode). It was my stomach!

doIlookfat?
09-17-2003, 01:48 AM
Wow, Redballoon! Keep going on the no eating after 6:00pm, if you can. The more the better, right? Make it a habit and it will become easier and easier.

I walked 1 hour again today. My eating was ok, not perfect. My mom invited me, hubby and kids over for lasagna for my uncles 60th birthday party. Of course there is chips, a nice big meal, and cake and homemade ice cream. I can't hurt anyone's feelings so I ate a little of everything. Well, almost everything. I was given a cupful of ice cream and I know I ate too much of it. I just kept shoveling it in without even thinking, listening to my mom, aunts, and grandma's stories. What a hoot! But I had a good time, and I'm not dieting. This is a life change and I'm not about to deny myself things that I enjoy. I have to find a way to live my life with food, and figure out how to eat in moderation. I did better today than I have in the past, and I am exercising everyday. This will work, I did not mess anything up. Tomorrow is day 4. I will never again start all over with day 1. I will do the best I can for the rest of my life to create a happy balance of food/exercise/and a normal lifestyle I can live with, without deprevation and sacrifice. I have a lot of confidence in me now. I can do this.

Thanks for all your support.

Heidi

Sandybrat
09-17-2003, 09:55 AM
Well done redballoon!!!:cp: Awesome!! I now have 3 days of yoga under me and i will do my pilates later today. And yes, its amazing what a little quality alone time can do for the soul... i feel soooo good... and i love to wake up like this. Congrats to everyone else for making their goals... and even if u slip.. just get right back in the game!! Take care of U ladies!!!

Sandy:dance: :flow1: :goodvibes

Sandybrat
09-17-2003, 10:00 AM
WELL SAID HEIDI!!! BRAVO!!!:bravo: I just love your attitudea nd your enthusiasm... U GO GIRL!! and u r sooo right... one day at a time... I just LOVE the no more starting over at day one!! I am going to adopt that as my motto as well.. if thats alright with u... it just rings so ture! Have a FABULICIOUS day all!!

jackieO
09-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Great job Sandybrat!!!! I did not make my goals yesterday..got diverted with a bag of Doritos..But I am taking full responsibility and am on track today. My relationship with Frito lay is officially over.

redballoon
09-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Well, sorry not to have posting so often but I've been really busy! Glad to see some of you here and keeping with your goals for the week. Come on! It's just one week at a time. You can do this! Of course, I think my goals were some of the least ambitious among us though. . ..

Well, I'm doing it tonight. I'm knocking this baby down. I've got another half hour before I'm hitting the sack and this is my third night with NO food (or drink) after 6 p.m. I planned it. I ate something before six and even took a thermos bottle with something to a parttime job I have after another job so I wouldn't feel like I had to scour the convenience store for something or become ravenous and light-headed. I did it the night before but I don't think that's a good thing. Last night eating after 6 felt like such a treat. I was full of energy too today. There are only three more days in this week (I'm 13 hours ahead of the U.S. East Coast) so I figured I should get it done with when I could. Hurrah for me! :cb:

doIlookfat? Thanks so much for the encouragement and compliment. Yes, I do want to make this a habit. I've realized I have to make lifestyle changes as that's what is keeping these last pounds on me. I set my aim rather low this week just so I figured I could do it and then feed off the high it gave me. But I am going to keep doing this and even if it's not part of the week's goals I may just throw in some no food after 6 nights for good measure! :yes:

I like your thinking with the life changes. You didn't beat yourself up over eating at your mother's and probably because of that you didn't go way way overboard with the eating either. :bravo: for you! You're doing it!

Sandybrat, congrats on getting your yoga sessions in! Have you done your pilates yet? I must try that too. I have books and even some videos but just could never get into it. I think I should just learn one exercise at a time and do them at the gym until it too becomes a habit. I'm most interested in keeping my core muscles (around the spinal cord) strong (because I ride dressage). Any suggestions on the best exercise for that?

jackieO, How are you doing? Diverted by Doritos! :lol: Yes, I know how that can be. I stay far away from anything of the sort. I could just vacuum up mega amounts like you wouldn't believe. I just know never, ever to get started! :no:

OK, everyone, please keep checking in. Our thread was getting low on the page! How are you all doing? Cerise? jelynn? Give us a shout! :wave:

Sandybrat
09-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Red... u should give pilates a try them... it specificly(can t spell) targets the area from your shoulders to your hips... they call it the box... your working on keeping that area in control as you do the exersices... i find that after the first session you can feel it working... it strenghthens your abs and lower back areas.
I love the frito lay quote... hahahah!! I was laughing out loud and my kidlets asked me what was so funny... lol
AS for my goals... i did not do my pilates yesterday... i instead decided to clean out the garage... and redo a dresser. so i cleand and rearranged the garage then sanded and washed and painted the dresser. By the time the guy go there to pick up the stuff from the garage and i loaded it up with him i was pooped. I some how managed to stay awake til 10pm waiting for dh to get home from work so i could at least say hello and i love u b4 bed.
I am still sore from all the moving and lifting. I will do my yoga later today... i even slept in today... not 6 am but 7:30... got going late... oooppss!! :o
so i will get the yoga goal in but not the pilates... i am too sore to do it today and tomorrow i am leaving for Green Bay for a wedding so i will be gone til sunday. I wont even bother to bring the tapes with me... as i know i wont make the time to do it.
that said i do think i still got my exercise in... just not the ones i planned on... hahahahah thats a great rationalization isnt it...!!
Hope you ladies have a wonderful day... take care of u!!

friendsforfitness
09-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi Redballoon!
I'm in kinda at the end of the week, so I will put my challenge up for the rest of this week and for next week as well.

For the remainder of this week I will walk briskly for no less than 20 minutes everyday. ( I haven't been doing the exercise thing as much as I need to and this will give me a jump start)

Next week I will walk briskly for no less than 20 minutes four days.

Wish me luck!
Lisa

redballoon
09-18-2003, 05:58 PM
Just a quick note to say Welcome aboard to friendsforfitness! Thanks for coming over! You'll be great here. You are such a warm, and supportive person and I love hearing from you! :yes: Good luck on your challenge! :cp:

Marti
09-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey Redballoon.... I decided to browse and I'm interested. But I will start on Monday ok. I haven't figured out what it is yet that I want to do beside the water. So I will see you Monday!!

Marti

Marti
09-18-2003, 06:17 PM
Ok, I couldn't wait. I want to start doing my AB workouts 3-4x a week. That should be a good way to get me started on excercising more!!

Marti

redballoon
09-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Oh wow, M.N.J., I JUST got finished typing in an explanation on the 21-day thread and then came over here and there you were! Hurrah. OK, if you want to jump in right away, just do it through it Sunday and consider it a trial if you like! Then join the new thread I'll start Monday. (It'll no doubt appear on Sunday in the States because I'm ahead of you all but you start when your day changes for you.)

Allright, glad to see things picking up with more challengers!!

redballoon
09-19-2003, 08:50 AM
:wave: Hello there, I'm home for the night and just getting ready to get to bed but wanted to say Hi to all and ask how are you doing? Friendsforfitness, M.N.J., how did things go today? I've added your names to our list of challengers! Hurrah! Let's do it! :cb:

Sandybrat, thanks for the pilates tips. I'll give it a try in the near future. Well, I think you did really well with your week, don't you? Every effort counts in getting us there where we want to be! Have fun at the wedding. I should be in N.Y. next month for a friend's too. :spin:

Good night all! Closin' out Friday! What a long day! :wave:

friendsforfitness
09-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Well, you could say I got my walking in, but not 20 minutes of it. My Van broke down on the interstate last night on the way home from work. So I walked for about 10 minutes before someone was kind enough to stop and give me a ride home. So I guess I am starting over today right? Well I was doing good, I did my warm ups and went out and walked hard, very hard, all out of breath and sweating and everything. I forgot my watch so I just checked the clock when I left the office and when I came back I was sure it was 20 minutes.....NOOOOOO OF COURSE NOT! IT WAS ONLY 10 MINUTES!! I am such a wuss! So I will go out again this evening for 15 minutes when I get home so I can wear my watch and time it, well maybe not, I just remembered we have to do some car juggling with my Mom due to the broken down Van and I don't get off until 6pm. I have to drive 35 minutes to get hubby and then another 40 minutes to get mom's Car, 35 minutes home, then there's dinner...it'll be dark out by the time I get the time to go..UGGGG! Somehow, someway, I will squeeze the time in. I am determined!

:^: Wish me Luck.....
Lisa

PS. Redballoon have you heard from your family in Isabelle's path? I too have some family in Richmond Virginia and I heard it was pretty rough, but everyone is ok.I hope your family is ok too.

redballoon
09-19-2003, 08:12 PM
friends, thanks for your concern about my family. I called and they seem to be OK but I haven't heard from them directly. Power out in Philly but it looks like the hurricane didn't get near Pgh. Don't know about my friends elsewhere but the family at least seems OK. Thanks again. I'll be writing more later. Rushing here as usual.

friendsforfitness
09-20-2003, 11:05 AM
No I did not walk, there was just no way for me to fit it in, by the time I finally got home it was after 8pm and I had to go back out at 9:30pm to pick up my daughter from her ROTC event. I will try harder today.

Wish Me Luck,
Lisa

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:
PS The good news for yesterday is that my wonderful Mother has loaned me her PURPLE (my favorite color) Mustang to use until I buy a new van!! Now I'm really sporting purple!! tee-hee :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

jelynn
09-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Well, I had a pretty good week- yesterday I didn't get all my water/nor exercise, but I'm giving myself until tomorrow to get this challenge in! I finally feel like I'm really doing this! WHOO-HOO for me :D

Marti
09-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Just wanted to say that I plan on doing this with you girls, I'm just waiting until Monday to start it. (gives me time to make sure that's what I wanna do!:dizzy: )

Any way, looks like everyone does well over hear. Excellent. I will tune in on Monday.

Marti

deleted2
09-20-2003, 03:22 PM
I'd like to start a challenge on Monday too. Will you start a new thread or continue here?

I've done well on my challenge to walk 35 miles this week. I'm 27 1/2 miles into it!:D

redballoon
09-21-2003, 02:41 AM
Heh there people. I'm just hanging here till tomorrow (Monday) when the next challenge starts. Hadn't thought about what I'm going to do actually. Maybe the same thing again, no eating after 6 p.m.

friends, no sweat on your not being to get the walking in last night. You wanted to and I know you would have if you'd had the time. Heh, life's not just about our diet/exercise plans, is it? Isn't it strange how life has a way of NOT going to plan? :lol: Good luck, kid! I'm rootin' for you. :yes:

jelynn, how's it going? You'll do it! I know you can. If you can feel it, you can do it! Go for it! :strong:

M.N.J., Eydie, I'm looking forward to doing the next week with you.

I'll post a link to the new thread here when I start the new thread tomorrow. I may wait till Monday is almost over for me to write it up for you all since I'm so far ahead of you timewise. That'll give people time to wrap up this week's and write a closing report on it for us all if they like! Looking forward to hearing from you!

friendsforfitness
09-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Ok really quick, I tried to walk four times this week and haven't been successful UNTIL......TODAY!!! So that's a step in the right direction. Maybe now I'll be able to pull it off for this coming week's thread. I actually walked a mile! Well, actually, in the end I was more like limping, not walking, but you get the point. :lol:

See ya,
Lisa

redballoon
09-22-2003, 04:42 AM
I've started the new thread for this week's challenge. Please click here and join us!

Tell me how you fared on this week's challenge though if you're just wrapping it up.

See you! :wave:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=455429#post455429