Depression and Weight Issues - Welbutrin SR

View Full Version : Welbutrin SR

jdg1574
09-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Has anyone experienced weight loss from taking Welbutrin? I was prescribed this for depression, but I have heard it is also prescribed for weight loss and to help quit smoking. My doctor told me that one of the side effects can be appetite suppression.

liz321
09-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Hi jdg and welcome

I have heard of it prescribed for depression and cigarette cessation but not for appetite alone....though I must admit I am not an expert on such matters. What is your story? I don't think that we have met.

Eliz

lynnie24
09-12-2003, 03:35 PM
I take it because it helps to even out my paxil.My dr also said it would give me some energy to help with weight loss.

jdg1574
09-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks. Eliz, I am new here. You are right, we have not met. I guess I don't have much of a "story". I'm just here for some moral support and advice from people who understand. I don't have a signifigant amount of weight to loose. I'd like to loose about 30-35lbs. I'm 5ft5in and weigh about 160. I am very small framed, so I should probably weigh closer to 130. I don't really care how much I weigh. I just want to feel good again. I've gained about 30 pounds in the last few years. I feel sluggish and tired a lot. I always feel better with less weight on. Besides, I don't feel like I can wear cute clothes well anymore. I started the sugar busters plan this week. Have you done that before? I'm also thinking about joining Curves. I currently walk 7 days a week, but it's not enough anymore. I think I have reached an excercise plateau. I'd love to hear about you. Jenn

Aquareggie
09-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Wellbutrin did suppress my appetite. I lost weight while I was on it, but I was also taking another AD, so I can't say WB alone caused the weight loss.

:)

AR

Leenie
09-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi Jen !!

After I was on Zoloft and didn't like the way I felt, kinda antzy and flippy for lack of a better word, my Dr. put me on Welbutrin but only after I suggested it. I am sorry to report it did not help me with weight loss :( But you got to realize something, different drugs will work differently of folks, what might not help me might do a world of wonders for you.

All I can say is try it for a while and see how you feel.

Also Jen, theres a thread here at the top that's called Bio's, you'll find most of us there and if you'd like you could add one of yourself so we could get to know you too.

HUGS, hope to see you on the daily board.

Leenie

tcstart
09-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Welbutrin was originally designed as a weight loss med--not depression. People who have had problems in thge past with anorexia should not use it. I have been on it for several years due to depression and panic attacks and have gained!

Leenie
09-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Gee I've never heard that Bupropion was originally introduced as a weight loss med. And I've worked with the product in its Generic development (Zyban) for years. Can you tell me where you found this out? I'm really curious. Thanks !!!!

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/328/7438/509

Bupropion was developed and initially introduced in the United States as an antidepressant but was subsequently noted to reduce the desire to smoke cigarettes and shown in clinical trials to be effective in smoking cessation.

wildblue_yonder
09-17-2004, 04:08 PM
I am on Wellbutrin but I started it about 2 weeks before I decided to lose the weight. It has been a life changing experience for me with depression.
It is also used by some to help quit smoking. Wellbutrin is made by the same company(GlaxoSmithkline) that makes Zyban an anti-smoking drug. The two should never be taken together. I have heard it can suppress some peoples appetites. I may be more determined than ever due to wellbutrin helping me with my depression therfore I am able to lose weight easier; but I do have to say I don't have much of an appetite and that is not like me. Food use to be my every thought ...not anymore. I am focused and think more clearly.
My x-hubby works for GSK and maybe he could give me some info about this. :)

Have a beautiful day!!

Leenie
09-17-2004, 05:03 PM
WY,

My DH quit smoking on Zyban, the only difference is the color of the tablet (from welbutrin vs zyban) but the main ingredient is the same (active that is). I'm really glad it is working for you. My DH has quit smoking over 2 years now thanks to Zyban :)

Check out this link:

http://www.uspharmd.com/packageinsert/