Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #1  

Default Helpful Hints to Stay on Track

I thought this might be a great way to compile all those great ideas that are all over this site. I know I need all the helpful hints I can get to stay on track. It always seems someone else has thought of something I haven't, so please bring 'em on!

Lisa

My H.H. is to submerge yourself in health and fitness facts whenever possible, like magazine articles, books, shows on tv's and of course the 3FC website!

Last edited by friendsforfitness; 09-11-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

What a great idea! Okay, here are some of my helpful hints to start:

Drink lots of water and avoid sodas.

If you bring home a large bag of something like tortilla chips, immediately put single servings into baggies.

If you are using something like balsamic vinagrette salad dressing, when the dressing separates, suck the oil off with a turkey baster.

Journal your food and your feelings to get an idea of what is causing you to overeat if that's a problem. Journaling also helps you keep track of what worked and what didn't.

Take your measurements, no matter how much you don't want to! The scale is not always the best indicator that you body is changing for the better.

Stop eating at least 3 hours before you go to bed.

Last edited by Sheila53; 09-11-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:38 PM   #3  
Losin It For GOOD!

Go set a goal for yourself... and make a plan of what you are going to do to get there.

Write down at least 10 reasons why you want to lose weight.
Refer to said 10 reasons whenever you are tempted!

Drink Drink Drink your water. Take a sip between each bite. Drink 8 oz before starting a meal. 9 times out of 10 you think you are hungry but you are actually THIRSTY.

Find yourself a good personal motto or catch phrase. Say it to yourself often!

Remember that YOU ARE WORTH IT.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:49 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Keep a list of inspiring quotations you find touch you personally.

Keep a log of the milestones you hit. Not just scale-weight, but when you can do something you couldn't do before, or when you notice something new and exciting about your smaller body. Refer back to it often.

Find and participate in a good support network, either in person or online.

Find and participate in goal-setting challenges (like our monthly one here, or a weightloss challenge at work)
Old 09-11-2003, 08:42 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

Not that I do this all the time -- but, I try to plan my meals for the next day before I go to sleep at night. That way, I know that either the food I need is already in the house, or what I need to stop off for (usually fresh fruit or vegetable, or the meat).

Try to do this when you aren't hungry.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:59 PM   #6  
missaprylj

Make a grocery list before you go shopping and STICK TO IT.

Eat at least 5 veggies/fruit per day.

Water, people--- water.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #7  

Default My helpful hint of the day.

I have found that setting myself mini weight loss goals is helping me to have some sort of short term satisfaction verses looking at like it will be over a year before I get to my goal weight. So I have goals set all along the way.

For example:

10 pounds - 11/01/03 - getting closer to seeing family, maybe they'll notice? (probably not, but it's ok to wish right?!)

25 pounds - 01/03/04 - probably went to many festivities,people WILL notice!

50 pounds - 03/27/04 - spring is here, just picture all the cute clothes!

75 pounds - 06/11/04 - swimsuit sections here I come!!!!

90 pounds - 07/30/04 - summer's not the only thing that's gonna be HOT that year!

103 pounds - 10/08/04 - I'm thinking my Halloween costume will be something that Hubby won't be able to take his eyes off of!!

Lisa
Old 09-22-2003, 01:53 PM   #8  

Lisa, I love your goals!!! Don't get too discouraged if people don't say anything at 10 pounds. It took me almost 50 pounds before people said anything to me. Most people are careful about saying anything about your weight, so sometimes it takes a while before they'll mention it.

I know you'll meet all of these great goals!! I especially love the Halloween goal!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:16 PM   #9  
Crazy Canuck

When I recently whined to my mother about how I'm eating properly yet losing so slowly, she said "Funny, I don't remember you complaining about not gaining fast enough when you were overeating - it works both ways you know". As much as I hate to admit it, she's right. When I think about how much I used to overeat I'm surprised I didn't gain at least a couple of pounds a week - okay I DID gain a copious amount of weight, but it took years; much longer than it's taken to lose a large amount of it.

So my helpful hints for today are: be patient and keep things in perspective!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #10  

Thanks Mthrgoos68. You're definitely an inspiration!! You are doing great! When did you start your journey?

Lisa
Old 09-22-2003, 02:24 PM   #11  

Jillegal, Oh, good advice from Mom!! Thanks for sharing it!! She's too right, it's just so darn hard to be patient. Putting it on was so easy, and taking it off is so much more difficult. I have to say though, I am finally starting to enjoy the process. I look forward to my workouts and hate when I miss them. I look forward to my healthy meals and snacks. I never thought I'd be saying that!!

Lisa, I started in January of this year. Needless to say, I'm enjoying this year much more than I did last year!!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:32 PM   #12  
2006 - Panda Remix

Wow Mthrgoos!

Have you really lost all that weight in just over 9 months? I am in awe! I always assumed you'd been at it for 2 years or something, but 9 months - that is truly amazing!

Any advice you can give me please? How have you done it?

You have always been an inspiration to me - now even more so!

Amanda xx
Old 09-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #13  

C'mon Amandapanda and Mthrgoos68 you guys have to have a great idea up a sleeve somewhere to share?? Pah leeze I need all the help I can get.

Lisa
Old 09-23-2003, 11:07 AM   #14  
2006 - Panda Remix

OK Lisa - I will share my wisdom (not!)

Exercise, exercise, exercise! - it has really helped me physically and mentally. I feel better about myself when I have exercised (it's all those endorphins pumping!) so am more likely to stay on track.

Always have a bag of ready washed salad in to bulk up your meals.

Drinking lots of water has really inproved my skin and I feel brighter and more clear headed.

Keep a journal - I love writing and have nearly filled a whole book since August. I find it helps to work things out in my head and it's great to look back on to see my progress.

I have written some promises to myself which is a great motivator. An example is: 'in a year or so from now I will get married in a size 10 or 12 (UK Size) wedding dress and I will enjoy being the centre of attention'. I have found it really helps to put 'I will' rather than 'I want to' - somehow it makes it seem more real. It is a promise list rather than a 'wish list'.

I think thats all for now - hope it helps!

Love your targets by the way!

Amanda xx
Old 09-23-2003, 05:38 PM   #15  

Thanks a bunch Amandapanda. I really like the promise list. I think I may include that in my own routine. I'm doing great with the water and journaling, but my exercise needs work and I'm planning on working on that as well.

Thank You,
Lisa
Closed Thread