Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 11:21 AM   #1  

Default how long before all you post ops were not so sore?

I know everyones experience is different but i was just wondering. My sister is 1 week post op and she called me in tears yesterday cause she thought by now she should be in less pain and able to be up alot more than she is. She has this pressure pain like gas build up that she cant seem to bring up. She takes liquid motrin and is having trouble with the pill percocets coming back up even though she is cutting them up. I am just wondering what the average time for people has been for them to start feeling better.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:57 PM   #2  

I know with my Doctors support group we're not allowed to take any asprin product. It works as a blood thinner and can cause stomach bleeding. Your sister might want to check with her surgeon before taking any more Motrin. I had my RNY 3 months ago and I was sore but I wasn't in any pain. The gas is normal and will eventually pass. Everybody's pain level is different, if its more then what she thinks is normal she needs to see her doctor.

I hope she feels better soon, the first couple of months are a big adjustment and aren't the easiest to get through, but it does get better, and the results are so worth the effort!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #3  

Everyone's post op directions are different, but just for the record this is the direction that we are given for medications after surgery:

After gastric bypass, There are certain medications that need to be avoided such as ASPIRIN containing products or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and any medications with sugar. Here is a partial list:

Advil
Aleve
Alka Seltzer
Anacin
Ascriptin
Aspirin
Bufferin
Coricidin
Cortisone
Dolobid
Empirin
Excedrin
Feldene
Fiorinol
Ibuprofen
Meclomen
Motrin
Nalfon
Naprosyn
Norgesic
Tolectin
Vanquish

Here are a few over the counter products you can use:

Gas-X
Di-Gel
Mylanta
Milk of Magnesia
Imodium AD
Dramamine
Zantac
This is also a partial list!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:01 PM   #4  

The DR ordered the motrin for her and it was given to her in the hospital. She just went to the dr today for her 1 week post op and staple removal. They gave her a script for liquid oxycotin and told her to continue the motrin. She is feeling a little better today. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:42 PM   #5  

Good! I'm glad that she's feeling better. She'll be up and around before you know it! I remember in the beginning I was sooo tired. I'd be up for an hour or two and then I'd take an hour nap. Once the medication starts working for her she'll be able to get up and walk around more and that will help the gas work its way out. I'm glad that she's feeling better, keep us posted!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 03:41 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

not sure why the doc is letting her have motrin. i've never heard of anyone allowing anything other than tylenol [acetaminophen] or codeine derivatives like oxycotin and percocet
Old 09-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #7  

I second Chris's concern's about the motrin.

I was given the oxycotin which is a 12 hour pain reliever. It is a slow released one so that it has peaks and valleys. I took tylenol in between.

The first week I was easily a two nap a day person. I was sore on my left side.

I did not start feeling really better until week 3. I could get some good sleep because I finally FINALLY could go back to sleeping on my side.

Week 4 now and I feel terrific.

Tell her to hang in there. I was pretty miserable for a while...it gets a bit better each day.

peach
ps...percocet (sp) and I didn't get along.
Closed Thread