Depression and Weight Issues - Wednesday, September 10

View Full Version : Wednesday, September 10

Leenie
09-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm just heading out to get some coffee and throw some bacon in the nuker.

Hope y'all are having a wonderful morning. It is 50 degrees here and beautiful.

I'll be back later :D

Kempyd
09-10-2003, 09:47 AM
It is s nice one here too. It is around 70 but the humidity is still 100%. I think I can take the humidity when the temps are that nice. I still am not able to have my hosue aired out though. It just isn't cool enough for that. We are prayin in our house that Hurricane Isabela doesn't coem our way. That would not be good for us or for the duck hunting season. Sorry, about that last part but hubby is a big duck hunter.

Not much going on here yet today. I am working on stocking our pro-shop for winter right now. So, I am sitting at my desk with tons of catalogs all over it.

liz321
09-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Hello people!

Well yesterday my pc was in for repair and did I ever miss it....it truly is a part of my day to check in here and my e-mails from family and friends and my trivia game I am addicted to........well I give myself 30 mins a day give or take!

I had a not so great day yesterday.....first rotten day in months....I was trying to figure out what was different about the day....it was not hormonal....nothing really happened....I was up at at it and well on my way to a great day but then I sat down to work on an album that I am doing for my mom and dad....adding a few final touches and I think I was remembering things from my past....hurts, disappointments as a child and worked a bit on my page of my dd son Zach who died when he was two and all my other neices and nephews who are alive and well (thank goodness)....and I think that is what it was.......I was feeling sorry for my self....for my past pains...which I am sure we all have and for the loss of my son Zach when I wanted him so very much. I find when I have days like that I just freeze up....I stayed close to home...did not walk or exercise even though I have been enjoying that and I ate ice cream and dill pickle chips which I didn't even really enjoy.

That get's me to my point about Dr. Phil (I read the posts from yesterday earlier today).....being over weight in my mind is not just about knowing about nutrition and exercise....I believe that people who are moderately to quite overweight do have emotional issues and so in that way that is how a counsellor can help....do I think Dr. Phil is the be-all end-all?....no I do not. Do I think that he is telling any of us stuff we haven't already thought of?...no I do not. Do I think that sometimes he is right when he says just get on with it and do the right thing if it is best for your marriage and kids.....yes often I do. I don't think that any weight plan is going to work if you do not deal with the emotional issues underneath....I believe that one 'addiction' may be conquered (be it food), but another one will take over...until you deal with your issues....alcohol, codependency, dysfunctional relationships etc

For me I know I have issues and I accept that....I don't spend a lot of time analyzing why I do what I do.....I try to have healthy positive people around me. I try to have a routine and push myself to do the right things even when I would rather not...I try to do for others and treat others how I want to be treated. I accept myself for all the good and the bad and continue to work away at living a good life......I dont' have all the answers, nor does Dr. Phil or anyone else. I am the only person I can take care of and work on......and I continue to do the best at that I can.

Anyhow that is my sharing for the day....I am off to the shower and going for a walk with my friend.

Hope everyone has a good day and good luck with your own personal journey....only you can choose which way you are going today! Me too!

Hugs to you all:flow2: :flow1: :flow2: :flow1: :flow2: Eliz

cathyxxx
09-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Good Afternoon Chickadees!

It's busy around here, but wanted to pop in!

Leenie, enjoy the weather! do you have a window in your office?

Kemp, guess what! my hubby is a HUGE duck hunter too! he absolutely loves it! If I remember right teal season opens up this saturday! yippppppppee! lol

Liz, thanks for taking the time to share today! your post made me cry - I don't know why - it just did! But there is a lot of wisdom in your words! thanks for posting!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

hugs,
Cathy :wave:

Kempyd
09-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Cathy I usually am a duck widower this time of year. Joe is going hunting down in Dulac this weekend so this year will be no different. Is your hubby in DU over there?

liz321
09-10-2003, 02:32 PM
HI Cathy.....thanks for acknowledging my post and for your support....it is sure nice to know that others are really out there in cyber space.

I walked for 1 and a half hours this morning....I hooked up with a friend part of the walk but we walked to and from our meeting place on our own....during that time I listened to a DVD book...it really helps me to pass the time when I am listening to a great book....also helps me keep up with all the great books out there.

It is a beautiful day and I am glad that I am alive!:flow2: :sunny:

Eliz

Leenie
09-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi Ladies,

Lizzy, I don't think your feeling sorry for yourself, I think your being human. I hope to God I never feel what you are feeling, the loss of a child to me is a pain that will never end and it eats at your insides forever. My mom lost two of her 7 kids, one in 1990 and the other in 1998. I see her crying all the time and the only thing we can do is hug one another and cry w/her. I think if you didn't cry you wouldn't be human.

I agree with you regarding Dr. Phil, I would never go as far as saying he's a bad councelor, if he helps just one person then its all worth it, but to have his name on food products and claim to be a diet doctor (for lack of better words), I just dunno, I think its just ka ka and all boils down to the mighty buck. He'll be one of those fly by night diet plan/people/dohicky's like Susan Powter (oh gawsh remember her - eat LOTS OF CARBS !!) etc.

DVD books COOL !! I need to get me some, actually I need to get my rump out for walks, I move ZILCH!!

And I need to get back into my spiritual life which I let go a long time ago. How does one get that back ? sigh ~

Anyways, its so good to see you feeling better today :)

HUGS !!

liz321
09-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks Leenie!:grouphug: Eliz

Kempyd
09-10-2003, 02:58 PM
I am glad to see that you are feeling better Liz!!!! :)

liz321
09-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks Kemp.....hey which programs do you and hubby watch in the eve.......I find it hard to watch shows that play each week....never sure if I will catch it......Eliz

lynnie24
09-10-2003, 04:22 PM
hey gang

*hugs Liz*

My day is going pretty well and I discovered something today.My eyes are bigger then my stomach now.Me and the hubby went to a restaurant and I ate to much.On the way down the road; I got rid of it.Now that I am losing weight I need to change my thinking; the things I use to eat effect my body more now.Like greasy food and to much of it.
We went to the dr's today; to get my hubby checked out for his Cpap machine.He has sleep apnea.He has to go in for another sleep study to get the pressure of oxygen that is right for him.
They are taking blood also to check him for thyroid problems.

I hope all is well with yall and hope u have a great day.

*hugs*
lynnie

lynnie24
09-10-2003, 04:40 PM
CIN
when u see this would u please help me.What type of vitamins do u suggest i should be taking?I am feeling extrememly exhausted at times.

*hugs*
lynnie

Kempyd
09-10-2003, 04:58 PM
:wave: lynnie. Be careful at how much you beat yourself up. Sometimes it will backfire on you. I am sure that if you stick with this you will be able to get everything under control. And, we are always here for you.

Liz Joe and I watch Paradise Hotel (I can hear all of your groans all the way over here) I don't know how we go into that one we just did. I usually like sitcoms so if he is around that is what we watch. Sometimes I will be a good wive and let him watch football. :D As far as if we miss some of the weekly shows, yes. But, they will always show reruns of them later so I know I wont be missing them for long.

liz321
09-10-2003, 05:22 PM
OIC Kemp I have never heard of Paradise hotel....don't feel bad my family is watching the tail end of Big Brother......I am not proud to admit it.........what a bunch of deviants.....can't believe they can find such a bunch of misfits! Oh well maybe it makes me feel better about myself:lol: ...just a little;) ;)

Lynnie keep up the good work with the losing....takes a long time to break our habits doesn't it? Have you been to the doc as well as your hubby? The doc may be able to help you with meds and vitamins. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Just got back from bike ride with dd and have the water boiling for wild rice and pork chops are in the oven....

How is everyone with kids doing with back to school? Kemp are more people at the gym? I have to get my butt back regular as well.....just that it is so beautiful out that I can't bear to go indoors...I know the winter will be long and cold......

Does anyone know where some of the oldies are?

Bye for now! Eliz

lynnie24
09-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Liz I watch Big Brother every summer when it comes on.I like to see who is twofaced...I like cussing the people out too.*blushes* But the thing I have really liked watching is Cupid..

Thanks Kemp; I try not to beat myself up to bad....

MrsK
09-10-2003, 05:44 PM
To start with my husband lost his job 2 months ago. He still hasn't found a job and has only had one interview after months of diligent job hunting. No jobs in sight.

We tried to get independent health insurance, since he was not eligible for COBRA. Joy of joys. I cannot find one insurer (who anyone has ever heard of) to cover me because of my weight.

So in addition to being a total looser for not being able to loose the weight on my own now I can't even get health insurance so if I get sick I could cost my family what little we have left.

Not to mention affording my antidepressants. Without which I am a complete basket case.... I can't win for loosing these days.

I was starting to feel encouraged - but this letter today just feels like a total slap in the face.

I suppose I now have to try to find the energy to pull myself up again. I just don't know where I'll find it this time. All this makes me want to do is eat myself into oblivion.

alteaon
09-10-2003, 07:34 PM
Hi. I've had some request to let everyone in on my wedding:
The Day : May 8th, 2004
My wedding is odd in the respect that I have no maid of honor, no best man, no attendants. It's because my fiance and I have no friends/family members that we are close enough to have stand up for us. We've planned our wedding mainly w/ our parents, who will be seated at our head table. We just decided to do away w/ the attendant thing because all they would do is stand there and nothing else. It would have been a burden to pick people, when again, it would be to fill a space more than honor someone. Our witnesses are my father and my fiance's mother. When we decided to have no attendants, I felt so relieved. I've actually met other people who did the same thing. We're inviting approximately 100 people. I know a lot may not be able to come due to travel, but we want them to know we thought of them. Our colors are dark purple and gunmetal grey...kind of like pewter.
My dress cost me 108.56. It's not a traditional wedding dress. I do not like big froufy dresses. This dress looks nice and wedding like. It brushes the tops of my feet, it's a delicate material that feels like cheese cloth, but not as rough ( hard to explain) with stitching and little beads. It laces up the back, but is not fitted around my waist. It has a jacket thing that goes w/ it that has big sleeves with beading. The top of the dress is kind of like a tank top style. but it also looks like something I'd actually wear. I felt so awkward in a "real" wedding dress. I'm not wearing a veil, either. I'm wearing a crown of flowers,My mother calls it our hippie wedding because of my non traditional look at things. She means it as a compliment. I"ve always had "hippie" ideals for most of my life. and my fiance is wearing a suit. He hates tuxes, and if he's going to be comfortable any day, it should be our wedding day. We have the church, reception hall, caterer, DJ, gift opening place, and rehearsal places taken care of. My big thing is not to have a pain in the butt wedding. I refuse to get all crazy over droopy flowers five hours into the reception. As long as we are happy and I go to bed a wife that night, that's my main concern. I look forward to getting married. But it's being married that I really look forward to. Off this topic: I"m not sure about Dr. Phil, either. He was okay as far as relationships go, but what does he know about eating and weightloss? A lot of people who have never dealt w/ it themselves or know someone who has think they know the answers. It's always assumed that it's over eating, when rarely that's the problem. I don't watch much tv. Even when I had cable, I just watched T.L.C., A&E and Discovery. I normally dont' like sitcoms. I never could get into "FRiends", but I do like Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Will and Grace. I probably like other ones, too, if I could remember the names. I dont' like Reality TV. At first, I thought it was a cool thing, but it's everywhere. I wouldn't want to find true love on t.v. Some people go to bars, some people go to network execs...I like watching people on Survivor get kicked off...I never watched Joe Millionaire or For Love or Money. My guilty and embarassing pleasures are thigns like Ricky Lake, Maury Povich...trash t.v. makes me realize that things could be worth, or if they aren't, Im not letting everyone know that on t.v. I know who the father of my non existant kid is, and I haven't been cheating on anyeone.

CIN
09-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi Ladies
Liz.......I am glad you shared your feelings.I think that is important.Hugs to you!

I lost a friend today and just dont feel like talking ( no.not my friend with ovarian cancer) Someone dear to me who had a stroke Sunday.

It makes me realize ( as always) what a precious gift LIFE is and is not to be taken for granted. Be good to each other.Be good to strangers.Everyone out there is fighting some kind of battle. I have all happy memories of this person.Even last week when she reached in her purse and bought a $20 book from my Grandaughter...Abby was thrilled..I was thrilled..we sold 5 that day for school!

We are to love one another !

Later
Cin

:)

CIN
09-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Mrs K
Sorry things are going so badly for you all. Sometimes things have to get worse before than can get better.

Hang in there! They are bound to improve.Dont worry in advance...many things we worry about never happen.

Hope you know people care.

Cin

cathyxxx
09-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Wow lots of good discussions going on here. I think its good that everybody is talking.

Lynnie, I take a time released multivitamin from GNC that I like. I think it is called Woman's Mega Vitamin or something like that. I can check the exact name for you tomorrow when I'm at work and have the bottle handy. You take 2 a day. They are big and green and loaded with vitamins.

Mrs. K, I'm so sorry to hear about your health insurance problems. I do understand. My son takes meds and all we have is a major hospitalization policy that doesn't pay for that sort of thing. The costs of meds and doctor bills are really high. I hope it all works out.

Alteaon, it sounds like your wedding will be just what you want it to be. I like the idea of a ring of flowers in your hair. That sounds pretty! BTW, I love Everybody Loves Raymond - too funny!

Leenie, I don't know if you were just throwing this question out into cyberspace or if you were really asking but you know me girlie, I gotta jump right in there - hope you don't mind ..... you said "And I need to get back into my spiritual life which I let go a long time ago. How does one get that back ?"

Leenie, I know you know the answer to your question and that I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know. ;-) You know that Jesus is always right there waiting on us to spend time with Him. We just have to spend that time with Him - in His Word, and praying and listening to your Christian music and spending time with other Christians I know you are busy (man do I know), but there is always listening to Christian radio on the way in and from work, or listening to the Bible on tape, I also get some daily devotionals thru my email that help me thru my day.

Just like your signature says "Jesus Loves You This I Know". God is Awesome! :-)

((((((hugs)))))))))
Cathy

cathyxxx
09-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Cin - you and I were on at the same time (again). I am sooooooo sorry about your dear friend!!!!!!

((((((((hugs))))))))))
Cathy

CIN
09-10-2003, 09:29 PM
TWINS forever!;)

alteaon
09-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Cathy, Thank you for the reminder of God's awesome power and how there are so many ways to get in touch spiritually. I have some issues w/ my church because it seems very political. Thank you for reminding me that there are other facets of Christianity, such as Deb, the Christian woman I work with daily. She's a blessing. I feel kind of bad for my post about my wedding coming up after such bad news from Mrs. K and Cin. Unfortunately I can't help overly much due to logistics, but I do offer my prayers and thoughts. To give you guys as much support as you've given me.
This site is a life saver!

Leenie
09-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Alteaon, please don't feel bad about your uplifiting happy post, we love to hear good happy news.

Cin & Carole, I'm also glad your posting about the not so happy issues in your life, one thing we must do here is support each other thru thick and thin (so to speak) and happy or sad.

We all need to be able to celebrate when a celebration is called for and we all need to morn when morning is the case.

Happy, Sad, Silly, Angry, Embarassing.......post it all.

Remember your happy news might just cheer up those who are having a down day.

APRIL !!! You still with us ?