Weight Loss Support - went to the gym today..

View Full Version : went to the gym today..

frodo
09-10-2003, 06:56 AM
well I went to the gym today, did 30mins of bicyle.. and 5mins of that air glide jogging thing... broke a pretty good sweat.. I also paid the membership dues and the first month fee.

So now I am on the right track will go every weekday, and will do muscle building 3 times a week.

So now I have found this, I am still diet-less. If anyone could help me find a great diet. I have looked for atkins on the net, but came up with nothing ( couldn't even find the diet at, atkins.com ).

Thanks again:)

bicker
09-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Atkins is best only approached after carefully reading and understanding the book. The 'net is a notoriously bad place to get such detailed information -- unfortunately, the best things in life aren't free. <grin>

Personally, I'd aim more towards The Zone at this point than Atkins, but like clothing choices, diet choices are rather personal.

xDas7x
09-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Congrads at your work out!!

About diet plans.. I dont know.. I keep trying to lower my carbs but it just seems impossible. But I did switch to whole wheat bread, and complex carbs are not bad!

Im also trying to limit my calorie and fat intake.. just keep an eye on it.... and kind of have my own sort of weight loss-diet plan to go by....

good luck and i hope u find something that works for you!!

frodo
09-10-2003, 05:11 PM
what exactly is "the zone"? Do you have a website with more information on it? Anything would be great :)

thanks again

Marti
09-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Frodo!
Good to see you again. I was hoping you would post again and share how you're doing. Sounds like you're doing very well. Getting all set up with a gym and everything. I like your routine you have set for yourself. You are definately going to succeed.

About the diet thing. I wish I had some advise on what's good. But everyone is different with different needs. I myself have just been measuring everything I eat. Lessening my portion sizes. I'm always amazed at what a portion size is and what I had been eating!! It's crazy I tell ya. The first week or two you feel like your depriving yourself, but then you get used to it and your body gets more energy and feels better.

Well keep us informed on how you're doing. I'll cheer you on with your success!!

Marti

Young Grasshopper
09-11-2003, 01:16 AM
try Lowcarbfriends.com for Atkins....

bicker
09-11-2003, 07:30 AM
Here's information on The Zone:

For years experts have been telling Americans what to eat and what not to eat. Fat, they told us, was the enemy. Then it was salt, then sugar, then cholesterol... and on it goes.

Americans listened and they lost -- but not their excess fat. What they lost was their health and waistlines. Americans are the fattest people on earth... and why? Mainly because of the food they eat.

In this scientific and revolutionary book, based on Nobel Prize winning research, medical visionary and former MIT researcher Dr. Barry Sears makes peak physical and mental performance as well as permanent fat loss, simple for you to understand and to achieve.

For instance, did you know that your genes haven't changed for the past 100,000 years? And that 8,000 years ago there were no grains, bread or pasta? The evolution of man's digestive system has been based on a diet of low-fat protein and low-density carbohydrate fruits and fiber-rich vegetables. What that now means for us is that we should still be eating like cavemen and not like cows. Why? Because genetically, mankind has not evolved to a stage at which we can consume excessive amounts of grains and breads without adverse chemical consequences.

With lists of good and bad carbohydrates, easy-to-follow food blocks and delicious recipes, The Zone provides all you need to begin your journey toward permanent fat loss, great health, and all-around peak performance.

In balance, your body will not only burn fat, but you'll fight heart disease, diabetes, PMS, chronic fatigue, depression, and cancer as well as alleviate the painful symptoms of diseases such as multiple sclerosis and HIV.

This Zone state of exceptional health is well known to champion athletes. Your own journey toward it can begin with your next meal. You will no longer think of food as merely an item of pleasure or a means to appease hunger. Food is your medicine and your ticket to that state of ultimate body balance, strength, and great health: the Zone.

godivammmm
09-11-2003, 05:21 PM
I had to comment on the Atkins talk... be very careful! I tried this diet, and ended up with health problems... doctors found ketones and said that my body was in starvation mode which could be hurting my vital organs. I have so many friends that did Atkins only to gain weight back anyways. I read this book by Diane Sawyer's trainer Jim Karas, and I've been able to lose 27 pounds and keep it off. Even if you don't like this diet, try one like it- it's not harmful to your body but rather helps you to eat healthy and lose weight. I learned that it's not about all protein, or no carbs or no or all anything, but BALANCE. Let me know what you guys think...

bicker
09-11-2003, 06:32 PM
A lot of doctors know very little about nutrition, and even less about the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. Very few doctors would understand what they're seeing and interpret it properly, even if they didn't personally disagree with the research that shows that Atkins is relatively safe when practiced properly.

When I tried Atkins my cholesterol shot up, but that happens with about 10% of the folks, and my doctor knew exactly what to keep an eye on, and when the numbers started going in a bad direction had me stop Atkins. However, it really is essential to work with a doctor who actually knows Atkins and doesn't have preconceived notions against it.

Marti
09-12-2003, 03:24 AM
Brian-

I had to post and tell you that I looked at your "celebrating 100lbs lost" and you and Robbie look fabulous!! What an inspiration to us all. I didn't get a chance to read it all, but looking at the little I did, I just had to tell you that you two look INCREDIBLE and congratulations for achieving a healthier lifestyle. It has certainly made me more motivated!! Thank you for sharing

Marti

bicker
09-12-2003, 06:49 AM
Thanks! from both of us!

frodo
09-15-2003, 01:52 AM
Well after a nice recovery day ( birthday weekend ) I am ready to get back to the gym tomorrow. I assume the drinking I did this weekend won't be good for any progress. But I did go to the gym on Friday. The gym I joined gives a free personal trainner session... not exactly sure on the details. But I did book an appointment with him/her for monday night at 7:00. Hopefully they can give me the exact diet/workout routine to fit my needs.

I will post progress, maybe some pictures ( If I get a little less shy ). I should also post in other peoples threads to help them along as well.

Good luck everyone!

frodo
09-17-2003, 01:37 AM
gym gym... 2 days in a row now .. and I am dieing lol. Ah well tomorrow is a cardio only day, and then 2 days of muscle training/cardio again then a well deserved weekend.
I hope this all gets easier...

Marti
09-17-2003, 01:46 AM
You're doing great Frodo!! I'm so glad that you're doing this. What kind of diet did you decide to do? Atkins? Whatever it is, I hope it works out great.

I think that once your body starts getting used to the healthier lifestyle, it will become easier. And you'll look forward to going to the gym believe it or not. I used to go to the gym after work everyday. Then I had surgery at the beginning of the year and then the plant I worked for closed,and......yeah, I know.....excuses. But at the moment, my membership is on hold. But by the end of this month... I'll be going again and I'm really looking forward to it. Tone up my muscles that have disappeared!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Marti

frodo
09-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Hey thanks, you're really supportive :) I slept early last night ( 11:00 ) and woke up at 5:00. I think I should go back to bed for a little bit. My muscles are still KILLING ME. I also got a current picture of my self which I am going to post in about 5minutes here.. post another one in 2 months see how much I improved ( hopefully a lot :) )

frodo
09-17-2003, 10:45 AM
current picture :mad:
should improve though!http://www.graphicaledge.com/where.jpg

Marti
09-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Great picture!
You wrote "should improve" but I think you look great now. And I think it's great that you posted a picture. I haven't done that yet. Well except my advatar...but thats only a face shot, can't really see the rest of me.(kind of nice!)

If your muscles ache,, then you're doing something right!! Unless of coarse you have absolutely no movement going on!!

Keep it up and I'll cheer you on.

Marti

Maybe someday I'll post my pics.:dizzy:

frodo
09-17-2003, 07:31 PM
awesome :) I decided to post just so I can keep the progress going... hopefully help me along

btw I still did not find a proper diet.. just going to change what I eat white bread -> brown bread and only drink water. See how that goes for the first month then maybe get into a proper diet.

Marti
09-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Hey after doing that for a month you may find that just the little things like changing what you eat will be the ticket to success.

You're doing great. You're definately doing much better than I am. I haven't workout in sooo long. Gotta get my butt in gear!!

Keep posting!!! I enjoy chattin and hearing from ya

Marti

frodo
09-18-2003, 01:54 AM
Hopefully after a moth there will be changes but I have accepted that it might take a whole year. I know it seems likea long time, but it is basically a year or never.

Today I did 1 hour and 15mins of cardio... very uh fun..? I wish there was some way to make this more enjoyable. Tomorrow it is back to arms, and then friday legs/biceps.

You should go to the gym I know I am not really one to talk, but I finally decided to get into gear here...

I will keep posting, as I like to refer to this for my self ( kind of like a journal ) and if some one wants to hear it I am for sure willing to tell it :)

Good to hear from you too.. good support

frodo
09-19-2003, 02:40 AM
so.. tired... i went late today, not the best idea but at least I went tomorrow will be the first week down... thank god time to get drunk lol. I am going to bed now cause i cannot even move...

Marti
09-19-2003, 01:20 PM
I hope you're not over doing it! I can just picture how tired you are! And remember,, drinking only dehydrates you and you end up retaining water because your body needs to keep hydrated.

Ok, sorry, I turned into a little mother hen there..... I will stop.

Well take care and workout slowly and easily. Don't stress your body out to much. Don't want to rip those muscles and not be able to move.

Gosh..... there I go again.....better go.:p

Marti

frodo
09-20-2003, 08:43 PM
I don't think I am over doing it because I worked it out with the personal trainer.. he basically set out a routine for me to do and I followed it... Well 1 week completely done.

And a hang over to boot.. Hopefully this next week will be a bit easier.

Marti
09-21-2003, 01:05 AM
Personal trainer!! Excellent. Then you'll be just fine!! I talked to my guy and we agreed to go get our membership back at the gym by the end of this month. I'm excited!!

Keep up the good work.

Marti

frodo
09-23-2003, 01:54 AM
ugh couldn't do it today.. bad day kind of depressing news yesterday but life goes on. Was very sick today but tried to go anyways did a work out on my legs and did cardio but other then that i just talked and then left.....
i have been eating tuna with letuce and tomatoe in a wrap for almost every meal and i basically am going to throw up if i eat it again.. I think this is a very healty/filling choice I am not sure though.

Hopefully I feel better tomorrow.. will have to wait and see.

frodo
09-23-2003, 02:02 AM
as for personal trainer.. not really just something that was included with membership he lays out a routine for you and you never see him again lol

Marti
09-23-2003, 02:42 AM
Oh......a trainer who wants to keep you as a member to their gym. I get it.
About your tuna wrap. You should give yourself more variety. Or else the way you feel about it now is what's going to happen to anything you eat repeatively. You could post a new thread asking people what their favorite lowfat, yet tasty meal is..... and take some idea's from there.
The wrap is good for you. Protein from the tuna, and you got lettuce and tomato... but I can see you being starved after awhile!!
You need more calorie intake if that's all your eating for every meal. And it sounds bland. Find something with a little kick. You definately need variety. I had to post about the Mongolian Grills. Didn't know about the sauces. But got some good feedback. Have you been to one of those? They are very filling. And healthy. (as long as you don't overdo the sauces as I've been told)
Well I hope you start feeling better tomorrow. Don't feel bad for a day going by. Health is more important.

Take Care
Marti

frodo
09-23-2003, 06:41 PM
not really feeling better will try it today though. I took your advice and opened a new thread as this one has basically become just a convorsation for us so I doubt anyone will reply in here.

fern
09-24-2003, 10:52 AM
What a great thought you have given me. Have lost 20 pounds,DH has lost 50 we have a combined weight loss of 70 pounds wow. We both have 20 more to go. I am trying to figure out my fitness plan. I am tired so swimming. I do like to walk. My "Y' runs out soon. I wonder about adding to my own stuff here at home. Set up a program. But will I be motivated enough to do this all winter....hmmm. Or do I consider jopining Curves which I here is going to open soon? You are doing a great job. I like the fact DH and I both do this as we don't have to deal with cakes and cookies anymore.

Marti
09-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Frodo-
I've seen you got a lot of responses about food!! Isn't it great? I hope you get a good variety. And don't worry to much about not being the greatest cook. That's what cookbooks are for.
About rice. I was told to stay away from rice. I believe it's the white rice. Maybe brown or wild rice is better,, I'm not sure. But if I find out... I will let you know.
So---go shopping and don't go when you're hungry. Making a list is a big help. Just get the things on your list nothing extra no exceptions. It helps believe me!!

Talk to you later
Marti

frodo
09-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Hey yes it is great :)! I Will go shopping today, and go to the gym as well. If you do find out about the rice that wuold be great, because I could just throw some meat in the rice and eat it easy enough. I will make a list thanks for the tip :)

I haven't posted for a bit, some things going on. Not a very productive week last week :( But this week will be different. Starting in about 2 hours when I go to the gym :)

Your posting really means a lot to me thanks :)

Marti
09-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Hey there-
Ok, about the rice. I was told that brown rice is the way to go. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with white rice, I still eat it... in fact I did today! Just not huge portions. I believe Redballoon posted on your "food choices" thread about the rice.... take a look to see what she said there.

I'm glad the posting helps. I found this place to be a huge help in the choices and other things I do. I joined the "week at a time" thread and the "21 day challenge" thread. Check it out and see what you think. I actually started drinking 80oz. of water for the 21 dayer, and succeeded!! And I still drink that much. Now I'm on another challenge.....eating breakfast. (boy that's hard!!)

Oh, and after seeing your photo, I decided to look around for my "before" pics. and found a few and posted them. You can check it out on the 21 day challenge thread. But they're scary so be prepared!!:lol:

Well I hope to hear from you more. Keep up the good work and let me know your new "menu" and what you think. Variety is good and you'll feel like you're not really on any diet anymore... More like a change of eating lifestyle...... (did that make sense?)

Talk with you later
Marti

Here's my "before" pictures. Laugh all you want, just don't let me hear!:lol: (sometime soon I will post my current "during" pics.)

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/belong2james

frodo
09-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Yes this forum really is great.. I have been reading for the last hour or so, and will probably read/post for the next hour till it is time to go to the gym :/.
I think the one thing that really gets me is that I have no schedual or routine. Hopefully when my new job starts in november I will have the basis down for the new lifestyle.. with a proper menu and workout routine.
Some days I wake up at 3 oclock in the afternoon, so I automatically miss breakfast and lunch, and I usually don't eat anything untill around 5-6 if there is anything, I usually eat late at night. When I am out or what ever.. Like right now I haven't eaten anything yet today. I should probably go shove some tuna down my throat. mmm.
I would like to set a goal of 3lbs per week I know it is high, but I think I could do it that is 156lbs in a year.. I don't think I need to lose that much, since I will gain some in muslce mass but none the less.. will lose it quicker. Some times it is really frustrating because all of my friends are fit, and kind of the odd one out.

I also will have a hard time this year, because we have a tradition of watching our home hockey team ( canucks ) at a bar, and eating pizza or cheese fries etc... and beer which obviously would kill everything I am going for. I guess I will just drink water lol.

I looked at your pictures, and I am not sure why you are upset :)
I think I will put on some clothes and stand in front of something ( not sure what yet ) and take a picture of now, then do that every 1 month of the diet, and wear the same clothes to see the progress... could be interesting.

Ah well thanks for listening :)

Marti
09-30-2003, 03:41 AM
Hey again-

I have a suggestion for your traditional game gathering. If you're really serious about cutting back on everything including beer.... why don't you designate yourself as everyones driver. Be alcohol free on those nights. Or a couple nights. (Is this a one time event or more?)
The pizza can be ok if you don't over due it. You gotta give yourself something you like. So maybe a suggestion would be to stick with the healthy eating and wait for that event to have an "anything goes" night. That way you don't feel like you're depriving yourself of the foods you love. Just don't go crazy and eat an entire pizza yourself!!.:lol: And you could always "share" those cheese fries.
About your schedule... it does seem a little sporatic (if that's the word I wanna use..) but all you really need to do until you get some kind of schedule is just watch your portions. And keep up with your workouts. You'll still see results no matter what your schedule is. But you need to eat breakfast and lunch (no matter what time you get up) at least eat something first thing in the morning (afternoon:D ) to get your body going. That is one of my goals this month. Get myself to eating breakfast every morning. Since I started going back to school... I get up early... and my brain needs something!!:lol: And it is hard, but it will get easier. (I've just started so I'm still struggling myself.)
I like your idea of a photo once a month with the same clothes. It's a good one. And then you could see the progress your making.
3lbs. a week? I've heard of people losing a lot a week. I myself have never been that kind of person. My fiance works out to gain muscle mass, but he does a "diet" before to lose fat. Men tend to lose more than women.... what's up with that??? Plus, my metabolism has slowed down since I've turned 30.... also-"what's up with that?!"

Well here I am rambling on and on. I hope you ate something beside tuna. Try and give tuna a break for awhile. Hide it in the back of the cubboards!!:D
Take care and anytime you need to chat....just start typing away!!

Marti

frodo
09-30-2003, 07:50 AM
that is a good idea, but there is 82 games a year lol, plus the playoffs... so I might just have to give it up maybe a beer or two, won't kill me and just say I ate before the game... which I will.

As for schedule yeah starting in november I should have more of a firm schedule. So I will work towards having everything fine tuned for then.

The tuna wasn't bad i put it on bread instead of wrap today... but I bought so damn much of it! like 40 cans or so. I think I shall buy a scale today as well.. just to see if I am actually losing weight.

I over did my workout today because I couldn't even finish it.. I was about to fall over and pass out, i was very faint and eyes started to go blurry so i stopped... now I think I will sleep it is almost 4 am :)

G'night

redballoon
09-30-2003, 08:47 PM
frodo, I was just glancing through the thread and saw some questions about white rice, brown rice. Well, the main difference is nutrition. So much of the vitamins and minerals are thrown away when the rice is polished. All rice (basmati may be an exception) is brown. That's the outer covering. But people thought it looks prettier when the rice is white (just like wheat) and so they started grinding off the outer covering (the grinding is called polishing). But so much of the vitamins are ground away as well, along with the fiber.
So, it's just silly to lose all that nutittion.

Now, another thing that is being realized is that, due to the natural fiber having been taken away, the white rice (and flour) causes a sharp increase in your blood sugar levels and then a sharp increase in insulin (which is trying to regulate the blood sugar levels). This is why they're rating foods with the glycemic index. The higher the number the faster it causes your blood sugar levels to jump up (not a good thing, because later they crash). And when the blood has lots of insulin coursing through it it makes things easier to be turned into fat. That's why, cutting down on anything with high glycemic indexes (sugar, fruit juices, alcohol, white rice, white flour) makes it harder to get fat.

People are getting fat mostly because of the highly processed foods they're eating. So, it's always best to eat foods as close to their natural state as possible. Our food has changed due to big business, processing. Our bodies have NOT changed. Get back to the natural state as much as possible.