Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 05:14 PM   #1  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Default Stay At Home Moms #84

Welcome to a thread full of laughter and encouragment as we try o maintain a household and lose weight. All newcomers feel free to jump right in and regular posters too. Have a great OP day!
Old 09-06-2003, 05:17 PM   #2  
I'm a Jovi Girl

Wow! I never get to start a new thread!

We just got back from Soccer. 2 games back to back! DS did AWESOME! This is his 2nd year. LAst year he was afraid to get kicked.. this year.. he was right in there. Didnt score this game but his hustle was awesome!

DD had her first game ever today (she's 5) She scored a goal! WOO HOO! Of course it was in the other teams net.. so they got the point.. but she still did it! And I am proud!

Now I have to do laundry and get on the treadmill!

Congrats Spryng! Not gaining is always a plus!

I gotta run and break up a fight upstairs.. BBL
Old 09-06-2003, 06:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good evening all!
Karen that is so funny about your 5 yo! How cute that must have been!
Well my day is going pretty well. I made a stir fry for dinner with chicken and oven baked cucumbers (yum) even my kids ate every bite. I am so glad they love veggies. I found a new recipe site http://www.recipezaar.com/ that lets you choose what kind of recipes you like, low fat, low carb, etc and people who try them rate them! So I did the oven fried eggplant recipe but used cucumbers instead and it was very good. I substitutes fat free miracle whip instead of regular mayo and it turned out great. very crunchy on the outside and tender inside. But anyway... it was all good and so is my numbers for today! I'll be getting on the bike after the kids get in bed later.
Well, got to go! TTYL!
Old 09-06-2003, 09:02 PM   #4  
hangin' in there...

Karen, hope you got the peace restored! Sounds like you had a day like we had on the soccer field. Aren't they just the cutest?!?!?!

Spryng, thanks for the recipe site..... I love new recipes! I love to cook and bake. My time in the kitchen is like therapy for me. When I'm cooking or baking, I'm relaxed, and I truly enjoy it. I think that's why I have such a hard time with my weight. Or, at least, a part of why. I read lots of cooking magazines, and when I see new recipes, I like to try them out. I have been trying to limit myself to healthy recipes lately, or I try to substitue things to make them lighter. But it is very hard for me. I am addicted to the Food Network, and Emeril makes some of the most lucious-looking stuff! With no thought to fat or calorie content! It kills me!

Well, gotta get the kids to bed. Dh is at the preschool doing some light painting for the start of their school year next week. We don't have a child there this year, but our older two went through this school and our youngest will be there next year, so we still keep active and do some volunteer work for them. When he gets home, we have a rented movie to enjoy together.

G'nite.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/158/125

Height: 5'4"

Oh Karen ty for begining the new thread. Congrats on your standing O. I'm so glad you found your way to SAHM's you are really a terrific lady and I truly enjoy your posts.
Jen wtg on those track pants and staying OP. You keep up the great work. I'm kinda like you I love to cook and bake etc. it is great threapy to me.
Ginny, glad to hear you are getting into the swing of things and getting your walk in even if it is at 5am! You have always been so devoted to your walks.
Ricci I'm glad you could stop in. Thats really great about your baggy shorts. Keep up the great work.
Spryng, when I first started to work out and wanted to measure my inches I'd use a piece of yarn and lay it out on a yard stick or one of my Dh's carpentry tapes. Works just the same. Just incase you were excited to see some results. Oh and I'm glad to hear you migh get to see Joe sooner than you thought.
Oh and ty for the sight!
Mel hope you are doing great hon!
Well as for me, I have bad news. Today while I was helping Dd#2 get dresses I put my back out. I'm in the awfulest pain. So I'm just gonna kinda take it easy for the next few days and stay in bed. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. This has happened before with previous pregnancies so I know what to do to take care of it. But I just wanted to let you ladies know I won't be posting for awhile. Hope you all stay OP!
I'll miss you girls a great deal!
Old 09-06-2003, 10:24 PM   #6  
soontobethin

Hi all
sounds like everyone is having a good weekend. I went out to my aunts house today and helped her get started on planning a family reunion. Tommorrw gotta go shopping, and we are going to let my boys ride their bikes outside. Thats it for now.
Ricci
Old 09-06-2003, 10:39 PM   #7  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
I wasn't so sure if I would get here today, but everyone is in bed and this keeps me out of the snack food!

Michele-I feel so bad for you, hon!! That is just awful that you put your back out- all those pg hormones that allow your bone to spread to allow the baby to grow can also mess up normal bone alignment! Absolutely- I will keep you in prayer for a speedy recovery and all the patience to get thru this. Hope that your Dd's are good little nurses for thier mommy!

Spryng-What great news that you might see Dh a bit sooner!!!!!
How does he like his new job, has he mentioned that?. Our library here is tiny too, and the kids area is in the basement too!
What a coincidence! Guess it can't hurt to ask if they have a story time...a lot of the local libraries here do. Don't worry about not losing this week- my Dr told me "the body will shed fat at its own rate, and sometimes we can do little to control that"- so in a nut shell.....just hang in there! You will lose!

Jen- I can absolutely identify with the travel soccer thing.....having been a widow to travel softball for 7 years now.
And I agree- waiting another year for your Dd is a good idea. Even if a player is great travel ball is so darned intense and there are some really rabid parents there- worse than normal. But congrats on some great soccer! How was the movie????

Karen- thanks for starting the thread. Funny, as I booted up Iwas considering the same thing!! I love your 5yr olds first soccer goal.......even if it went the wrong way! (I won't tell!) Did you get your laundry done???

We got a lot of stuff done outside here today. Kind of sad- as we put the pool away for the winter. (Dd was none too happy about that!). But, the timing was good- we had a nice dry day to get the liner rinsed off and dry and in the box for next year.
The weather here was gorgeous- almost fall like!!!! Our soccer games start in a week or so. Dd has already had one practice. The other Dd (17) has had 2 HS games already.
I did get a 20 min walk in and ate pretty well.
Me one tired puppy- guess I'd better go!!!! Hope I did not miss anyone. Have a great nite.
Ginny
Old 09-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good evening all!
Misty I am sorry to hear about your back! How hard it must be for you to take care of your dd's and the little one inside you too when that happens! please heal fast, ok?
Jen, I love cooking sites too but I must admit that I am not much of a cook. but I'm learning! One of my favorite channels also is the food network. My DH loves Emeril but I love Rachel Rae and her 30 minute meals. But yes, not many low fat in there. I like that Cooking Thin one with the lady who lost all that weight. She teaches other's to cook healthier... but some of her ingrediants are not available here. O-well... someday I hope to wow people with my own healthy meals.
Ricci, I hope you enjoy your family reunion! I haven't been to one in years. The last one we had my parents offended several family member and because of that only part of the family showed up. It was terrible. I don't know if we'll ever have another one... we might if my mom and dad aren't invited, lol. Which is fine by me.
Ginny, yes DH loves the job. He is on his way to alabama tonight. I'm actually waiting on his phone call right now... but he's doing well. For the first 160 hours he's with a trainer and then once he completes 160 hours of driving time he is put in his own truck and goes solo. I might have already told you that, I'm not sure... but anyway, I'm hoping he gets those hours done as fast as possible so I can see him again. I am starting to really miss him. Not enough to lose sleep over it but ds (2) asks all the time if he is coming home and I hate saying no and his little face looking so tiny and crushed... he misses him really bad. I think it's going to be extra hard when we do get to see him but for only 2 days and then he's off again for 2 weeks... i don't know if ds can handle that or not... it's like a big tease. But that is yet to come... any suggestions on any of this? And I really am trying to hang in here with my eating and exercise.. even though right now I am hungry and wanting to eat the kitchen down. Instead I cleaned it... But I'm not certain how many calories I had for dinner so I don't know if I can have a snack or not... I guess I should sit down and figure that out.
Well we have a new addition to our family... Pickles... that's his name. He's a toad! A little toad the kids caught in the back yard. They were so excited and proud of themselves so I took them to walmart to buy a bowl and such to put him in and we even caught him a tiny cricket to eat tonight. My dd named him pickles because she said he has bumps like a pickle on him, lol. She's right! So Pickles it is. So I guess he's staying,
Well, I need to do something to get my mind off food... maybe I'll go read. Talk to you all tomorrow!
Old 09-07-2003, 04:46 PM   #9  
burned out bus driver

Hi Spryng,
Guess it is just you and me for now. Hope that you made it thru the night without a raid on the kitchen. I had one of those nights last night myself. One of the WW books that I sent you has tons of tips on how to handle times like that. There is always diet jello ( I love the stuff!) or another strategy is to save a point or two for late in the day and then have a planned snack. The slimfast creamy caramel snack bars (not the meal ones) are only 2 points, so are M&M kudos, or a cup full of most dry cereals (some of the kids cereals are great dry) or 3 cups of the 94% fat free Orville Redenbackers popcorn is one point!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!! (I did that one this afternoon ). At least for WW, it is a matter of coming up with some snack that will satisfy you- is low in points and have one serving ready for you to enjoy. One hint that they gave us is to take your favorite snack, lets say you crave Triscuits- and have the 15 (I think) crackers premeasured in a baggie- and know that they are 3 points for that serving. Then when those urges hit you are ready. That is one of the big techniques that WW uses is just planning. One member told us that she always had some diet jello made....just for those moments. Congrats on Pickles!!!!!! We had our resident "Mr Toad"- and for awhile there was an albino one that lived by our deck. Good to hear that the tradition lives........ BTW when my Dh travelled (he had business in Europe a few times) I would have my kids paint a picture (or draw with crayons or whatever) of what they the previous day for Daddy. That way it made them feel more connected to him during his absence and made him feel more a part of what they did while he was gone. Of course, in the early years when their art was pretty wierd I had to add a caption on the bottom for him to reconstruct what the picture was supposed to be! We still have some of those old art items and the caption or title really makes them laugh now- they even remember making some of the stuff! Maybe that will work for you too. Hang in there- it sounds like you are doing a great job during Dh's absence. What book are you reading, anyway?

Well, we went to church this am....boy I needed that!!! Dh was, well- he really hurt my feelings this am, and kind of went out of his way to do so. I don't get it......it was so uncalled for. There are times that his lack of sensitivity amazes me- and yet I understand why he is that way. All I can say is this is going to take me a long time to get over......the look on his face and the emotion behind it is unfortunately deeply etched in my mind right now. Sorry about that, I just had to vent. The weather here was great the whole weekend and we got a lot done around the house ( I kept myself busy to avoid dwelling on what was buggin' me). Guess I have babbled enough!! Off to make dinner. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Ginny
Old 09-07-2003, 05:14 PM   #10  
hangin' in there...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! I just wrote the looooooongest post, and tried to attach a pic to it. When I tried to post, I got a message saying mypic was too large, and my post was lost!!!!! ARGHHHHHH!!!!! I am so frustrated, because it would have been nice to at least post what I'd written without the pic. I don't know why it just dumped everything I'd written like that!

Well, I don't have time to write another lengthy post. I hope everyone has a good night, and I'll catch up with you guys tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:21 PM   #11  
I'm a Jovi Girl

Just thought I would check in for a moment.. I have to bake 6 dozen cookies! Ds's bday tomorrow and I am bringing cookies to school.. I have to make extra for DH... He loves them!

I just ate a huge taco salad so that I wont be tempted to eat any of the batter.. WIsh me luck! It is chocolate chip...

I will post more tmo.. just wanted to say hi!
Old 09-07-2003, 07:55 PM   #12  
hangin' in there...

Well, I had a chance to get back here for a minute.

Michele, so sorry to hear about your back! Please take care of yourself! Is there anyone who can help you with the girls while you're down? I hope you are back on your feet and pain-free soon.

Ricci, hope the boys had fun on their bikes today. Did you get a lot of planning done for the reunion?

Spryng, my kids caught a toad yesterday, too. I am mean, though, and made them release it after they played with it for a few hours. We already have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a dozen fish. I cannot be resposible for another living being in this house!

Ginny, I am so sorry your dh made you feel badly. My self-esteem took a real beating when I was a kid/teen. I have worked very hard to overcome it, but when someone berates me, it is like I am 6 years old all over again. And even when you know where the other person is coming from and that it may not really be all about you, it still hurts. I wish I could be there to give you a hug, because it sounds like you could use one. I'll be thinking of you tonight.

Well, I did a bad thing today. I bought a scale. I know it doesn't sound like a bad thing. Actually, the really bad thing is that I stepped on it during the wrong time. I forgot to buy a battery with it this morning, so I hadn't been on it at all. But, I just now happened to find a battery, so I popped it in and stepped on it....... yes, at 7:45pm and after a full meal. UGH!!! It was awful. I have been in such denial. Previously, my highest weight has been 177lbs. Just now, it read 184. I am ready to throw the thing out the window! But, maybe this is the wake-up call I need. So, no more fooling around. Although I have done well this week, I sorta took the weekend off and haven't been very OP. Tomorrow, I plan to get up early and go walking before dh leaves for work. Then it is back to the program. I gotta get some of this weight off!

So, I am setting a new goal for myself. Dh and I are going away for a weekend at the end of Oct. to celebrate our anniversary. It is about 6 weeks away. I would like to lose about 15lbs by then. I will weigh myself again first thing in the morning, and take that as my starting weight.

Well, gotta get dd out of the tub and ds needs to get in. Also need to pack school lunches for tomorrow. G'nite, gang.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:56 PM   #13  
hangin' in there...

Oh Karen, I didn't mean to leave you out! Please forgive me!!! I am sending good will-power vibes your way to help you stay out of the cookies!!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2003, 09:20 PM   #14  
One day at a time.

Good evening ladies,

I really have been so busy trying to get a routine going, but little Myra has been fussy in the evening, so I'm not getting much done at home. I miss you ladies, and hope every one is doing well! I'll be back when time permits, take care!!!
Old 09-07-2003, 09:25 PM   #15  
I'm a Jovi Girl

MAN! I typed this whole big message and my computer hiccuped on me!

Ginny - I said some prayers for you today. I hope you are feeling better and things are better with DH.

Michelle - you take care you hear? Get that back feeling better! And SLOW down! (Yeah right - I know, I know with 2 kids? LOL)

Jen - Your post about the scale reminded me about when I first got my scale. I went on WW 6 months after my DD was born. Got the scale home and got on it, it read 225! And then it read that same weight the next morning. I was in such denial at the time! I almost did toss it out the window. But I didnt, and it motivated me to lose 56 pounds over the next 10 months. You can do it!

Spryng - You are doing so well! Good for you getting on your bike! ANd I love that name Pickles! My son wants a Frog or Toad too.. we have tree frogs all over the greanbelt behind our house. You can hear them at night but I can never see them.

Now.. For the cookies... I baked 8 dozen, packed up 28 bags for the students in my son's class and his teacher, and put the rest in a plate in the kitchen. I am so proud of myself. I didnt like my fingers, I didnt test the batter, I didnt eat a cookie. I dropped all the utensils in the soapy water. I cannot believe it! But as heavenly the kitchen smelled, I really didnt want any. I think the difference is that this time I know that I can have one occasionallly once I am about 20 pounds from goal. I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And I am focused on my health this time around. Not just looking good!

Ok, DH is wanting the computer so I better run. Need to answer a couple of emails first!

Talk to you all tmo!
Closed Thread