Snacks - Phase 1 - Roasted Chick Peas

View Full Version : Roasted Chick Peas

Ruthxxx
08-31-2003, 02:27 PM
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Open 3-15 ounce cans of garbanzo beans (chick peas) and dump into a colander.
Rinse well with cold water.
Drizzle with olive or canola oil, tossing until well coated.
Add about a teaspoon of pickling salt (larger grains) and spices to taste. I use chili powder, coriander powder, red pepper flakes, cumin and black pepper because we are hot food nuts!
Mix well and spread on a baking sheet.
Roast for about 30-40 minutes, tossing frequently for even baking.
Remove and set aside to cool.

Be careful! These can be addictive!

Ruthxxx
04-02-2004, 02:13 PM
A serving is 1/3 or 1/2 cup of legumes.

valerie910
07-14-2005, 07:21 PM
I made these today and they are YUMMY!! I dried the chick peas off after draining them and baked them at 425 instead of 400. I baked them for 40 minutes instead of 30 and stirred them every 10 minutes...they turned out almost like corn nuts and are nearly as crunchy! I just used garlic salt and chili powder on them and they are great. I'm going to see if I can find some seasoning that resembles 'ranch' dressing for next time....I'll let you know how it works out!

Thanks for the great recipe :cheer:

KO
08-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Wow!!!
I just made these with Hot garlic oil (garlic infused canola) roasted garlic spice cumin and chili powder. . .soooo goood!! I ate a quarter cup just portioning it out into baggies. I was nice tho and saved some for DH
I cant wait to try it with all sorts of spices
I roasted them at 425 for 40 min most came out nice and crunchy
Has anyone ever tried cinamon and splenda?

Loriann7
08-02-2008, 06:09 PM
WOW~! Dangerous!

I backed these in the oven that I have combination wtih toaster oven, a life saver in the summer! I changed some of the seasonings, next time I think a bit more spice! AWESOME!

One problemo.... addictive!

As I'm eating them, I think if we tried brown sugar,and roast them to more crispness we might have a mock "boston nuts" recipe!

cottagebythesea
08-02-2008, 07:38 PM
As I'm eating them, I think if we tried brown sugar,and roast them to more crispness we might have a mock "boston nuts" recipe!

Just make sure to use a brown sugar substitute rather than real brown sugar. Brown Sugar Twin might work.

Loriann7
08-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Just make sure to use a brown sugar substitute rather than real brown sugar. Brown Sugar Twin might work.

I HAVE SPLENDA brn sugar,w ill that work?

KO
08-03-2008, 12:18 AM
I would think a combo of more baking spices might be good. . .maybe pumpkin pie spice?
I portioned 1/2 cup servings into baggies so that theres no danger of over snacking.

cottagebythesea
08-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Loriann, Splenda Brown Sugar is a blend that is mixed with white sugar, so it's a no-no for true South Beach followers.

rdw1
08-18-2008, 11:46 PM
omg- soooo good! and totally addictive! I decided to make only 1 can drained and rinsed tossed with lots of red pepper, some cumin, chili powder, garlic salt, onion powder...oh, and olive oil. YUM.

Fat Melanie
08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Well I have made these only once, but I just loved them! Whoever said that they were like corn nuts were right, they're quite similar.

When I made mine, (I think I posted about it, but not sure), I had a bag of dried chickpeas so I cooked those and drained them and then mixed them with some smart balance, then after they were roasted, I put them in a tupperware with cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, a bit of soul food seasoning... I shook it up... and it was fantastic.

I did find that they were a bit chewier the next day as Kshe says, but I didn't turn them frequently as called for, so some were more crispy and some weren't quite as crispy. Still great though.

Kshe, since you aren't crazy about certain textures, hopefully they'll turn out a lot more crispier if roasted on a higher heat, and for a longer time. You could always take one out of the oven, taste to see if it's crunchy enough for you, and keep on roasting until it's reached your desired level of crispiness. Good luck! I like 'em crispy too.

I've got two bags of dried chickpeas and have been meaning to make more roasted chickpeas! I need to get to it.

This is probably one of the best snack recipes ever.

CyndiM
08-25-2008, 05:57 AM
I did 425 for 40 - maybe I need to go to 450!

That seems really high. Did you drain them really well first? I rarely set my oven above 400 and they are really crisp. Oh, I also leave them in the oven after I turn it off. I made them for a party Saturday and there were no leftovers to worry about!

ladybugnessa
08-25-2008, 07:09 AM
That seems really high. Did you drain them really well first? I rarely set my oven above 400 and they are really crisp. Oh, I also leave them in the oven after I turn it off. I made them for a party Saturday and there were no leftovers to worry about!

I do 450 I have an electric oven.

LadyNtreeg
10-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Just an FYI here, Oven temps will probably need to vary as different altitude levels can cause the need to bake at different temperatures to achieve the same crispy results.

I'm trying this recipe for the first time right now. I've got a can, well rinsed, and coated with olive oil, garlic powder, and peppered Bacon Salt. Can't wait to see how they turn out. I'll be sure to come back and let everyone know. :)

jenne1017
12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I've used Essense of Emeril (with cayenne added) as well as Montreal steak seasoning!

Both are yum!

KO
12-31-2008, 02:19 PM
has any1 tried this with any other beans?

cottagebythesea
12-31-2008, 02:39 PM
has any1 tried this with any other beans?

Sure do! I like to cook my green beans this way. I call them my "french fries."

RedE2go
01-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Wow! By using a slight variation of this recipe I've stumbled across something that tastes SO much like "seasoned french fries" you'll be absolutely amazed! My son has to be credited with this one. He was so eager to try out what I was baking that (of course) he was popping them into his mouth as soon as they came out of the oven, nice and warm. His first comment was "These taste just like french fries!", and by-golly, he was right. I tried the chick-peas right out of the oven with a litte reduced sugar ketchup and felt like I was eating steak-house seasoned fries. Yum!

Here's what I did to prepare these (it's all in the seasoning);

Rinsed the chick peas (I used 2 cans) and allowed them to dry, then tossed them in just enough (good) olive oil to coat them. At this point I added two generous pinches of chili powder, lightly sprinkled the chick peas with salt, and then added LOTS of McCormick's (salt-free) Garlic & Herb seasoning. I spread the peas in a single layer in a glass casserole dish and baked (uncovered) for 40 minutes at 425 degrees, stirring every 10 minutes or so.

My son and I are both addicted!

cottagebythesea
04-24-2009, 06:33 AM
They keep well for a while, but you should probably eat them within a week.

AlphaGal
08-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi, i have been making these for a few months now and they are delicious!
with my electric oven i put the temp close to 500 and baked for about an hour (stirring every 10 minutes or so).
with my gas oven, i'm doing 425 for about 40-50 minutes and stirring every ten minutes or so.
whoever said to use montreal steak seasoning is right on! they are so delicious! i have my aunt hooked and now her friends are requesting the recipe! hahahaha
love it!

texaslove
02-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I also like to use a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, and some cracked black pepper. It's delicious, tastes like something I would eat even if I weren't on the SBD!

WaistingTime
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I finally tried these today, to see if they would be a good snack for my upcoming vacation. My verdict: yes and no. They are quite tasty but I will not make them often because there are a lot of calories in a small amount! (I know it is not about calories on SB but still.) I only made one can to try it out and I split that into 4 servings in baggies for my trip. I could easily see popping tooooo many of these!

RiverGirl
06-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I tried lots of dill and salt, and it does kinds taste like dill pickle chips... yum!

Natasha1534
07-09-2010, 01:27 AM
I tried lots of dill and salt, and it does kinds taste like dill pickle chips... yum!
I almost did dill on mine, but didn't. Thanks for posting that...now I'll know for next time!!! I looooooooooove dill!!!

I just made these using dry ranch dressing mix and garlic powder. I baked for over an hour and a half at 400 degrees (I did take them out a few times to let them sit and see if they firmed up...then I put them back in). They're still not as crunchy as I want them (I've got them sitting out right now...might put them back in). Still, they are yummy!!!

srego909
01-23-2011, 07:00 PM
:DI tried w 1can & salt, pepper & garlic powder. I made 1/3 cup portions right away because they are so crazy good! Just the crunch I needed.

Willow324
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
I was so psyched up to make these...i followed the directions and made 3 cans of them. They weren't good. I dont know if I made them right. I was preparing for something with the consistancy of 'corn nuts' but they were kinda hard on the outside and soft on the inside. Help! Did I not cook them long enough (i left them in for closer to an hour) :?:

Usernametaken
02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Willow,
I think you just need to keep them in the oven longer. They eventually will get all crunchy.

Restypines
08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
I was so psyched up to make these...i followed the directions and made 3 cans of them. They weren't good. I dont know if I made them right. I was preparing for something with the consistancy of 'corn nuts' but they were kinda hard on the outside and soft on the inside. Help! Did I not cook them long enough (i left them in for closer to an hour) :?:

I had the same result. I was afraid if i cooked them any longer they'd burn. They did start turning black and I was stirring every 10 minutes. The spice mix was good....it was the bean itself that was funky, like you mentioned.

pinktoes
10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I just fixed these....oh my! they are good....I used a rub for chicken after spraying a little EVOO on them...cooked @400 for 45 minutes..can't wait to try other flavorings! I am going to put them on salad for crutons:carrot:

indigal
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
They keep well for a while, but you should probably eat them within a week.

Once cooked, are they fine unrefrigerated? Or is it better to store them in fridge? Going to make them today..

CyndiM
01-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I keep them on the counter in portion controlled containers

jenne1017
12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
making these now - added Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb, some more garlic powder and some salt :)

EliseVi
01-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Wow! These are delicious. Just made them for the first time and now I understand why CyndiM wrote that she keeps them in portion-controlled containers. These are borderline dangerous!!

jekel383
01-14-2013, 05:19 PM
I actually have to play a game with myself when I eat them. Only allow myself one at a time and must drink water after each one. Otherwise I could eat all three cans worth at one sitting!

CyndiM
01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Another yummy variation, Buffalo Ranch (http://kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com/2012/08/05/buffalo-ranch-roasted-chickpeas/)

EmmaD
01-24-2013, 08:55 PM
I can't believe I waited so long to make these! I have had dried/roasted chickpeas from Middle Eastern stores and they were NOT good, so I was always reluctant to try this recipe. I think Cyndi mentioned them recently so I thought it is time.

Yum - perfectly crispy and delicious. As was previously mentioned, the biggest problem is how to stop eating...

I made mine from dried/cooked chickpeas... coated in olive oil. Baked at ~400 degrees in a toaster oven (I just did 1 cup) for what seemed like foreeeeeeeever, well over an hour. I just kept checking them and making sure they weren't burning (maybe mine started out too wet? but they turned out fine). At one point, they *seemed* done but were soft in the middle so I just kept cooking until they were solidly dried out and crispy. Let cool inside the oven as suggested. Seasoned at the end of cooking with sea salt and garlic powder. OMG - tasted like garlic bread!!

Now I want to try other versions. Someone mentioned dill. I want to try this version of Dill Pickle Roasted Chickpeas (http://kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com/2012/06/11/dill-pickle-roasted-chickpeas-oil-free/) (same source as the Buffalo Ranch ones).

Beth19
01-12-2014, 02:14 PM
I had tried these once before and don't think I cooked them long enough.
Tried them again today and they are delish!
I will put them in single-serving baggies for portion control.