Side Dishes - Phase 1 - Spinach Casserole

View Full Version : Spinach Casserole

Suzanne 3FC
07-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Spinach Casserole

2 pkgs frozen chopped spinach
2 cups low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute (equal to 2 eggs)
1/2 cup parmesean cheese (optional)

Cook spinach until heated through. Drain very thoroughly, pressing into a colander or squeezing out the excess water. Combine the cottage cheese, egg substitute, and parmesean cheese in bowl. Mix in spinach. Pour into a 9 inch pie pan or into 6 individual baking dishes which have been sprayed with nonstick spray. Sprinkle casserole with a little parmesean and paprika. Bake at 375* for 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned at the edges.

Since we are allowed cottage cheese on this diet, we could easily use something like this instead of the veggie cups for breakfast. Just use lowfat CC instead of fat free, and leave out the parmesan cheese. I frequently make it without the parmesan, and it's just as good. I know it tastes a lot better than the veggie cups, in my personal opinon.

juniper366
05-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey,

Thanks for this recipe! I'm gonna try this over the weekend! :D

skherb
07-07-2004, 04:07 PM
It was good but was still a little wattery. I guess I just did not get enough of the water out. :o

Linky
08-18-2004, 09:17 PM
I made this last night - soooo good.

littledemonbean
11-02-2004, 06:22 PM
I made this last night and it was quite delicious. With this recipe, there's enough for a group of, say, 6-8. Since I made it for me and my girlfriend, there's plenty left over and I'm excited to have more of it tonight.

It was good but was still a little wattery. I guess I just did not get enough of the water out. :o

Seeing this post, I made sure to squeeze out as much water from the spinach as possible. It probably made the difference in this dish turning out so well.

tori34
11-04-2004, 08:35 PM
This was great..my DH and I loved it! We will definitely have this again!