Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Reasons to Lose Weight

I thought it would be fun to bring this subject up again for all the new people. I couldn't find the old thread so I'm starting a new one.

I have a new reason for losing weight--to save money! I am looking into long term care insurance (they say if you buy it in your 50s it's cheaper) and because I'm overweight and have high cholesterol, it will be more expensive. When I got life insurance, I had to pay more because I weighed more, too.

Works for clothes, too--regular sized clothes are less expensive than plus sized clothes. And if I get off the acid reflux medication, then that saves me $20 a month, too. And I won't have to pay for WW meetings anymore.

So, one of my reasons to lose weight is to save a bunch of money!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:45 PM   #2  
Catwoman

You can save heaps! My grocery bill is much lower then it used to be. I think I eat half of what I used to and it makes a huge difference.

Think of it as being payed to lose weight
Old 09-06-2003, 12:27 AM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

Okay, we all know the "proper" reasons for losing weight such as adopting a healthy lifestyle to prolong our life, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah. But besides all that health stuff I have a specific reason - my highschool reunion (class of 1974)!! I don't expect to fit into my old cheerleader outfit, but I'm going to be a heck of a lot closer than I would've before joining Weight Watchers!

So I figure that's as good a reason for losing weight as any!

Countdown to reunion (March, 2004)

*\o/* *\o/* *\o/* (cyber cheerleaders)
Old 09-06-2003, 03:12 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

My number 1 reason to lose weight is my family. I think most of you have seen my post Jacob, I promise you... . I still read that all the time. PLUS, I am ready for another and I need to be at 250 to do that. That is the reason for my "baby" tag line.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have to be at a healthy weight due to my kidneys. I was diagnosed w/PKD earlier this year. I've been on HBP meds for almost 18 months, would LOVE to get off of them.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:33 PM   #6  
beautiful

my kids!!! that's the number 1 reason i want to lose weight.

AND....

* to look better
* to feel better
* to be able to buy cute clothes again
* just to be able to say i did it
* so when i sit around people dont think look at that fat lazy thing over there.. instead they will say look at that lazy thing over there. LOL
* so i can add more pounds to my ex's girlfriend
*more energy
*not sweat all the time
* so i dont have to be shy anymore
* so i can go places and not feel stared at.

i'll probably add more as i think about them.

Last edited by jkfla; 09-07-2003 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:48 PM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

To get out of bed in the morning without pain. Back pain, leg pain, heel pain.

To walk up and down stairs without "steeling" myself to do it.

To not dread, or put off, airplane trips because I hate the small seats.

To not be the last person on Metro who gets a seatmate. (Oh, wait, that's good...)
Old 09-06-2003, 09:27 PM   #8  

Oh boy Synger, I hear that. I used to get out of bed in the morning and actually hobble for the first few minutes because everything hurt.

To be able to fit into a restaurant booth.

To not have to worry about squeezing in behind the steering wheel.

To not be embarrassed to go to my kids games because I don't want their friends to see how fat I am.

To actually be able to buy clothes I like instead of just having to buy whatever comes in the biggest size in the store.

To just feel so darn much better about myself.

To be able to look in the mirror and have the image fit the person that I think I am, instead of seeing a stranger.

To have so much more energy to keep up with my kids.

To not have to take medications for blood pressure and anxiety.

To not hide at home because I'm afraid that everybody will be looking at me and thinking how huge I am.

And so many, many, many more reasons!!
Old 09-06-2003, 09:32 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Ever since I had my baby (well 2 yr old now) I have this horrible saggy belly that slaps against the tops of my legs at certain times and that noise is like a knife through me. Getting rid of that belly is high on my list for losing weight. Also my baby is a big reason. I want to be a good role model for him but also I don't want him to be embarrassed by his fat mom later on in life. Finally I just want to look and feel better.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:35 PM   #10  

My #1 reason...I want to have a healthy pregnancy!!

JacobsMommy...I read "I promise" for the first time...I cried..really made me think..I want to have a baby so bad...But I also want to be a healthy mommy for my baby..So I can simply be here? and also for my dh...he deserves a healthier wife. Think maybe I should write my own self a "I promise"...since to me it would be the greatest gift I could give myself...on track..losing weight, then before I know it...baby time...wow!..what a wonderful reward that would be!

My #2 reason...I want to go to Disneyland and actually be able to fit on all the rides and have the energy to walk-it!
Old 09-06-2003, 10:20 PM   #11  

Skinny4baby, I know what you mean. We're going to take a family trip to California this November and we're going to Disneyland. I'm so excited that for the first time in many years I'll be able to go on the rides with the kids!! Last time we went to Frontier City in Oklahoma and I couldn't go on a single ride!!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:08 AM   #12  

The number one reason I want to lose weight is because I want to be healthy! I also feel that my weight wont allow me to advance in my career.

Also I want to get pregnant. I just got married last year and my husband and I are ready to start a family, but it wont happen unless I lose weight. I don't want to run the risk of having a bad pregnancy!
Old 09-07-2003, 05:09 AM   #13  

wow! I'm new to the 100lbs club and agree with every one of your reasons for wanting to lose weight!! I am 50 years old and have been struggling with this problem for about 30 years, but especially since I had my last child at age 38, 13 years ago! I have missed out on so much in his life by not being able to do things with him... I'm an "older" mom, plus an unhealthy obese one, and I know he's looked at his friend's young, healthy, "skinny" moms and wished I was more like them... even though he has never SAID that! I can remember when he was in elementary school, getting into fights because someone would call his momma "fat"... so sad!
Anyway, I am going to do this! I want to live a healthier life and be able to spend time with my kids and grandkids (I also have two adult children with 8 grandchildren).... I have promised myself if I loose 100lbs, I will buy myself a HORSE! a strange goal for an "older" fatty like me, but I've wanted one all my life! so.... I'm on my way to being a "cowgirl"! Look forward to sharing the ride with you all!
Connie
309.25-302.50-150
Old 09-07-2003, 09:27 AM   #14  
Searching

Default THATS A GOOD ONE!

Quote:
Originally posted by SuchAPrettyFace
I have to be at a healthy weight due to my kidneys. I was diagnosed w/PKD earlier this year. I've been on HBP meds for almost 18 months, would LOVE to get off of them.
My SIL has PKD along with HBP. She wasn't a pound overweight has a massive aneurysm, a couple of heart attacks, and a stroke all at the age of 25. That was almost 4 years ago now. The real person that was my SIL died that day and left this shell. She never believed in taking care of herself, then and now smokes like a chimney. NEVER excercises, and though not overweight she eats junk, when she remembers to eat.

I have been trying to remember why I want to lose weight. I think to feel better. Fat Chris is just so darn miserable.

Miss Chris
Old 09-07-2003, 11:36 AM   #15  

Height: 5' 7"

My skinny, unhealthy Mom, who I adored, died of a stroke at 44, leaving me at 22 and my 20-year-old brother devastated.
I was 41 when Krista was born, and she is my promise to the future. I don't smoke and I don't drink (both of which are long stories), and this week I've eaten healthily and worked out.
I'm tired of knee pains and knee cracks, and backaches and I hate my asthma.
I want to run with the dog, and bike with the kid, and have fun.
By the way, we went to a water park this summer, and I now go down water slides. And I shriek.
Don't wait until you're thin. Have fun now. If people laugh at me, I hope they are having fun. And then I hope they choke. I have better things to do than to judge other people.

I want the things I like to do to feel good. My husband and I are going to the health club to work out and swim, and those things feel good.
Closed Thread