Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:52 AM   #1  
Crazy Canuck

Default Quitting smoking vs losing weight

I quit smoking on November 3, 2000 (at 3:45 pm - not that I'm keeping track or anything ) I needed to lose weight as well, but I knew I couldn't do both at the same time, so I concentrated on stopping smoking (and gained about 70lbs in the process - but that's another thread).

It was difficult - very, very difficult. I'd been a heavy smoker for almost 30 years (Teens! Don't start and tell yourself you can quit anytime!! You're lying to yourself). I know it was a physical addiction and as much as I enjoy being able to breathe again, to run again, to have nice smelling clothes again and so on, I have to admit there are times when I REALLY want ONE cig, but I know that would be courting disaster.

So anyway, two years after ridding myself of the nasty nicotine habit, I embarked on this weight loss journey and I've noticed the difference in people's reactions between quitting smoking and losing weight. Most people seem to think ending smoking was the bigger challenge, and I'm not sure I agree...think about it:

* people don't come up to you at social events holding trays of cigarettes pleading with you to "just try one, one won't hurt"

* you don't HAVE to buy cigarettes - they're not in the cupboards and fridge to tempt (or taunt) you

* you aren't told "oh but you've done so well and look great, can't you have a few cigarettes as a treat now?"

* smokers are pretty much considered social outcasts and are not encouraged to smoke in homes or restaurants - the same places where you're encouraged to eat

* smokers have a physical addiction - but don't try to tell me people who have a severe weight problem aren't addicted to food physically, emotionally and mentally!

* you're not faced with thousands of varieties and flavours of cigarettes to choose from every day

* there are no commercials on television (in Canada anyway) telling you how wonderful cigarettes are, but ohhhh those commercials for food....

* there aren't pictures on bags of cookies and cartons of ice cream depicting blocked arteries (In Canada cigarette packages have pics of cancer-filled lungs and things like that)

* you don't NEED to smoke to live.

I think it's funny how so many around me feel that losing weight is just a matter of eating less and exercising willpower, yet quitting smoking was a true test of controlling a physical need. People who are naturally thin, in particular, seem to think that way.

Yes, quitting smoking was difficult, but I feel that I'm a non-smoker now and forever and the worst was over in a relatively short period of time. The weight-loss journey is taking much longer and is still a daily struggle. Attaining goal is only half the battle - maintenance is for life and will be the true test.

So, all in all, I'd say the weight loss is the more challenging of the two and though I know all of us here understand exactly what that challenge is all about, I wish the general public was as supportive about it as about quitting smoking.

Rant over
Old 09-03-2003, 12:24 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

well said, jill!!!!!! you've really hit the nail, actually several nails, right on the head!!!!

those of us with lots of weight to lose really bear the brunt of society's displeasure.

congrts on doing so well all the way around!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:54 PM   #3  

Good points. And they remind me of my overweight Dad. As he'd say " I don't understand - I quit smoking (and he had smoked for years) - I quit drinking (and he'd done his share or more there) - but I can't seem to quit eating enough to lose weight". He'd demonstrated he had will power. But eating just a bit of food always led to more just as one drink or one cigarette would have probably put him right back in trouble there.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:10 PM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I have read that the effects of smoking are the equivalent of carrying at least 80 extra lbs. So imagine the effect if you are already overweight and smoking. Even if you gain weight while quitting you are still ahead of the game in my opinion. I have never, ever tried smoking, could never understand what was the appeal. I definately think weight loss is going to be a lot more difficult because you don't have to smoke in order to survive but you do have to eat!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:16 AM   #5  
Searching

AMEN SISTAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on the quitting smoking. I quit for over a year this last time and got into a little rough patch and there went my diet and back to the cigs. I have always thought dieting was way harder than the smoking. For the good of quitting smoking it takes about 14 days to get past the physical withdraws, and you immediately feel better, then it just a struggle with the head, and if I can stay out of convience stores and pay at the pump its not a problem. BUT FOOD. Can't give it up, and cutting back it takes years sometimes to see the results.

UGH!
Miss Chris
Old 09-04-2003, 09:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

OMG, I just had this discussion with someone the other day! She was harping on me about my weight (a collegue at work who I'm not fond of, go figure) and she said the same thing, well you quit smoking so why's it so hard to lose the weight, she happens to be a size 4, of course. So, why I bothered trying to explain it to her I'll never know but I told her the same thing. The nicotine withdrawl lasted for me about a week and I felt like death but I quit my 2nd try and haven't smoked in 3 years. The weight however, is a whole nother story and they have no patch to make you stop eating too much! The ironic part is that for so many of us, quitting smoking causes us to eat more and then the weight is soo much harder to get off! Welcome my extra 20 lbs!
That are history now granted. Great thread.

Tummy
Closed Thread