Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-17-2017, 01:45 AM   #1  

Smile Newbie

I was here eons ago. Found it helpful!
I seem to gain 20 pounds or so and then manage to lose it with great difficulty then gain it back etc and repeat.
I've lost it before on Weight Watchers.
This time I'm more worried than ever.
I'm on prednisone 15 mgs for an autoimmune illness, I'm in my 50s, and just moved and found that to be very stressful.
My blood pressure is going up and my self esteem is going down.
I'm short so 20-25 really shows up.
I desperately need support.
Due to my age and prednisone...very very little room for error.
Basically trying 1000 Cals a day, no sugar, no flour, minimum/moderate starchy carbs like potato and rice, moderate dairy, low glycemic fruit, lean meat and lots of vegetables.
Any ideas?
Support much appreciated.
Thank you.
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Well, I agree with your low carb approach. It's what works for me, and for many people. Are you also avoiding processed foods in general, and alcohol? Both of those things can be pretty bad.

Different autoimmune illnesses have different responses to diet and supplementation. All of them have 1 thing in common- low serum vitamin D. So you should definitely be supplementing daily with D3. Your doc should be testing you a couple times a year for serum levels of vitamin D- you want to keep it up around 70. I'd research natural approaches to treating whatever autoimmune disease you have- for example, I read the other day that PCOS responds very well to L-Carnitine supplementation (which makes sense, as it also responds very well to paleo and keto diets).
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #3  

Many thanks!
I do take a lot of vitamin d and last time it was checked it is considered high-normal (don't recall the number).
I was half trying a low carb diet, but finally made the transition about two days ago to DEAD SERIOUS.
Saw a nutritionist and got some pointers.
The prednisone basically makes everything soooo extreme. Losing weight is difficult enough as it is...but this is NUTS.
However, it is what it is....just have to accept it, get support and move forward.
The support , IMHO, will be vital.
Thank you again!
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote