Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow Autoimmune Disorders Support Thread

Hello everyone

I thought I'd post a thread on Autoimmune Disorders, where those of us who have AI issues and are on weight loss journeys, can support one another, vent, chat, etc.

My name is Jessica, I'm 37 years old and live in Texas. I am married, a counselor by profession, and a self professed extroverted introvert

I had a 'mystery diagnosis' for many years and got very ill.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Diabetes in my late 20's, then the AI Disorder diagnoses starting piling up:

Hashimotos Thyroiditis
Latent Celiac Disease
PCOS

and the latest (as of 2 weeks ago)

Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS)

So here I am.

Trying to juggle this weight loss journey thing and AI issues.

Hoping to begin an active thread where we can give/get support.
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #2  

Default Hi

I don't know where to start and thought maybe this would help me. I've been diagnosed with Hasimotos, fibromyalgia, sjogrens, Cushing, and possible lupus. As of now I'm very overweight and have tried to leave off gluten, with many times failing. I need a plan and really can't afford weight watchers or anything else.
Gardenparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenparty View Post
I don't know where to start and thought maybe this would help me. I've been diagnosed with Hasimotos, fibromyalgia, sjogrens, Cushing, and possible lupus. As of now I'm very overweight and have tried to leave off gluten, with many times failing. I need a plan and really can't afford weight watchers or anything else.
Hi There

I'm glad you're here, but sorry to hear of your AI issues. I understand completely. It's hard to know where to begin. I have plenty of resources - both AI and diet related - if you are interested. Oh, and there's a free weight watchers points plus app, which is what I used, so I didn't pay for anything (I did not attend meetings or anything.) Actually, it worked out rather nicely and I was steadily losing weight on the program. Unfortunately, my mom died 6 months ago and I completely fell off the weight loss wagon, gained 20 pounds of the 95 I had already lost. Sigh

As for gluten free, gee I hear you on that too! I had one doctor tell me that I have "Latent Celiac Disease" due to positive antibodies on my blood work but inconclusive endoscopy, and I had another doctor tell me I do not have Celiac Disease based on the endoscopy alone. So that has left a HUGE grey area bc nobody can seem to tell me yes or no, to stop eating gluten or keep eating it. So, being the addictive type of personality I have, I've continued to eat gluten here and there.

BUT... my body is going haywire. Since I posted this thread, I've developed a minor case of hives, and I believe that is also AI related. So after we get back from our vacation in August, I'm starting The Elimination Diet. It's kind of like Autoimmune Paleo Protocol. Basically, you have a 2 day "detox" phase, followed by following a 7 day "YES foods and NO foods", then re-introducing foods back into the mix to see which foods trigger what symptoms. That way, you know which foods to stay away from and hence hopefully FEEL better.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with all of this. I'm tired of feeling sick and tired. I'm tired of the rollercoaster. So I'm about to embark on this life overhaul/lifestyle change (hopefully for the better!)

Ok, this has turned into a book - LOL. I'll be back on here this weekend or first thing Monday morning.

Have a good day! Hopefully this thread becomes active, as I'm sure there are more AI peeps out there than just us

Last edited by JesikaBeth; 07-20-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 357/347/200

Height: 5'4"

Hi,
Good topic. good thread.

I've had Crohn's and Thyroid trouble for over thirty years. Both leave me with fatigue that is awful.
Most diets say Fiber, Fiber, Fiber! But then Crohn's says blockage blockage hospital.

I've started on the Microbiome process to see if I can do that. So far the joint pain has seriously been reduced to when I can move a bit without pain.

Anyone else feel trapped by their body and their conditions?
Kathy.kolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy.kolb View Post
Hi,
Good topic. good thread.

I've had Crohn's and Thyroid trouble for over thirty years. Both leave me with fatigue that is awful.
Most diets say Fiber, Fiber, Fiber! But then Crohn's says blockage blockage hospital.

I've started on the Microbiome process to see if I can do that. So far the joint pain has seriously been reduced to when I can move a bit without pain.

Anyone else feel trapped by their body and their conditions?
Hi, nice to see someone else on this thread

What is the Microbiome process?

Sometimes, yes, I feel trapped in my body d/t my conditions. I try my best, more times than not I'm ok too... but when I'm not. Ugh
Old 08-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #6  

Height: 5'0

Default Yes feel trapped!

I have RA and my joints ache making it difficult to walk some days. I'm in my 50s and now obese. I considered WL surgery but spouse against it. Can't quite figure out which diet / healthy eating to begin.
LuvSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Default Vegan

I do not have AI but I am seeing lots of success with those who are eating vegan, especially if you also stop eating processed flour products. Search YouTube for videos. Tannyraw or fullyrawkristina or highcarbhannah for recipes or nutritionfacts for the science. Lots of videos with people with MS lupus hashimoto RA who have gotten better on plant based diet. Check it out.

Last edited by kris2008; 09-02-2017 at 01:17 PM.
kris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290 / 225 /170?

Height: 5'9"

Yay, an AI thread.

As far as I know now, I *just* have Hashimotos. Skin issues which I suspect are psoriasis though I've never been diagnosed, along with *new* allergies. My body in the last few years seems to be going haywire.

Considering the Autoimmune Paleo protocol, but man is it restrictive. My endocrinologist has suggested I do a Whole30 to see what foods are making me not feel well, or do a mostly plant-based diet. She really wants me off gluten/grains, dairy and sugar.

I did find out already by allergy testing that I am allergic/sensitive to eggs, rye, hops (and my DOGS , trees, grass, mold and dust mites).

I feel like crap a lot, but I seem to be addicted to the things I know are making me feel crappy. Mainly SUGAR.

Leaning heavily toward Whole30 w/o egg and go from there. AIP is too much of a leap for me right now.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #9  
Be happy.

I'm so glad to see this thread!

I recently started Joel Furhman's autoimmune protocol. Because I eat a vegan diet it seems the best option for me. I'm still adjusting, and it's hard to know if it's helping since I'm still in a lot of pain. And I've got a shingles - a nice little bonus for the holidays. lol

Tinky, your post is the most recent, how are you doing? Have you found getting off gluten and sugar has made a difference?
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #10  

Hi everyone
Old 02-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/200/160

Height: 5' 6"

I have had RA for about 8 years, now. It is well controlled my meds, although I am flaring a bit now. It leaves me feeling tired and mopey.

LuvSunshine, losing weight will help with your RA. I have noticed less foot pain since losing 35 pounds.
DiveChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #12  

Default AIP, Stress, Migraines...me too!

Hey, y’all!
I’m a Tennessee native, Texas transplant, living outside of Tokyo. Got ANA markers for lupus, MS, scleroderma, and RA about six months before moving from the states.

Luckily, I’m basically asymptomatic beyond thyroid issues, migraines, gluten/dairy intolerance, and anxiety (being completely serious in the “luckily” modifier; I know how much many AI’ers suffer compared to me.)

I quit my job before moving, which seems to have exponentially helped my anxiety and stress, but my white coat syndrome is so much worse. I have a referral to a Japanese rheumatologist, and i just feel almost uncontrollably shaky over it.

But, I was able to put on my size 14 Ellen Tracy dress pants and my Land’s End size 16 jeans are loose! So maybe things aren’t all that bad.

Last edited by BeccaBee; 04-02-2018 at 06:08 PM.
BeccaBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoimmune disorder, dieting, support, supportgroup, weight loss