Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #1  
slow and steady is ok

S/C/G: 318.6/279.2/190

Height: 5'6"

Default I Need to Make This Work

Hi,

I just turned 55 and I have a terrible food addiction. I know how to lose weight, and have and some success with it in the past, only to resume my old habits and gaining the weight back. The last time I tried I lost 70 pounds, but then I returned to my old eating patterns and gained most of it back. My youngest son is getting married in Oct. 2018 and I want to lose at least 90 pounds by then. Short term goal, i want to be able to sit in an airplane seat and not have to ask for a seat belt extender when I go on vacation.

In spite of my weight I am generally a happy person and I love life. I would love to find a weight loss partner to communicate with each day. Support and accountability are key for me to stay on track and lose this weight.

Last edited by Joyful in Missouri; 06-08-2017 at 11:51 PM. Reason: add tracker
Joyful in Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/265/160

Height: 5'2

Default Same!

We have similar struggles! I lost 80 lbs in 2013 and it's all crept back on. Every single pound! I am very knowledgeable about good food choices. I know about lean protein and complex carbs, healthy fats and portion control. And I never follow it! I don't know what is wrong with me. Last time it was a horrible breakup that drove me to lose it. Now I'm happily married. And I'm a genuinely happy person also rarely does my weight lead to me crying but I'd say once a month my self fustration pours over and I just lose it. Maybe we can help eachother stay accountable!
Midnightangel1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #3  
slow and steady is ok

I would love that. The weight loss journey is so much easier when you are doing it with someone.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:40 AM   #4  

Default .

I'm a night owl. My husband works late at a manufacturing plant so I stay up until 3am sometimes because that's the time when dinner and dishes are done so, currently I have 1/2 a carton of strawberries and blackberries I haven't touched in a week in my fridge, in addition to 2 bags of unopened baby spinach and a small bag of green beans. I try to pump myself up to buy the good things at the market then never eat them! I drive myself crazy. My husband would rather die then eat any thing green so I don't make veggies with dinner either. But u know as men are blessed he weighs 190 at 5'9 chugs soda all day and gains nothing!! Meanwhile I go hard for 2 weeks before I make some excuse to give up and lose nothing. I also have a fitbit. That's sitting dEads on my coffee table now. Been there a month... in My head I see myself as a svelte athletic girl running with her dog or playing with my nephew. But in reality I'm at 275lbs and only getting bigger because I have no self control or discipline. Anyways that's a bit of a novel I think we can be good for eachother to bounce ideas off of. I have so much more to say but I'll wrap it up or you'll be reading all day! Hope to hear from you
Old 06-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #5  
slow and steady is ok

I had a hard time finding this thread again at first. I kept thinking I said I wanted us to support one another, and now I can't find the thread. Fortunately I finally did so here I am. I hate it when I buy produce, let it sit in my fridge until it goes bad. and then have to throw it out. I don't like to waste money yet I often do that. I also have a Fitbit and just started using it again this week. My job can be pretty sedentary at times. If I don't make a point of getting up and walking a bit I will only have 2500 steps for the day. How sad is that? Today I was more active so I have just over 5700 steps. That is much better.

Are you following a specific diet plan, or just trying to make better choices? I am using the app My Fitness Pal. It is free and that is what I used last time when I lost so much weight. Then I stopped using it and quit using my Fitbit, and gained 40 pounds back. Since I know I can be successful when I use My Fitness Pal and my Fitbit, I have started using both of them again. I just started on Thursday of this week but so far so good.

I tend to be one of those people that craves sweets and once I start eating them I have a hard time stopping. Since I know that I made a low cal gluten free lemon pie and I have had a piece each evening since I started back watching what I am eating. It is sweet and creamy enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, but not so sinfully delicious that I want to eat multiple pieces. Having something sweet on hand that I can eat helps me stay on track.

What do you like to eat? Do you prefer sweet or salty food? Perhaps we can figure out something for you to have on hand that you like so you don't feel like you are depriving yourself. I think when we feel like we have deprived ourselves it leads to giving up.

I am so happy to have you to bounce ideas off. Hope your day was happy and you were successful.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:33 AM   #6  

Default Chocoholic!

So, my thing is chocolate! I am so addicted to it and always have been. I don't beleive dessert is dessert unless it's chocolate. I tried to make a low calorie recipe for strawberry mousse using Sugar free strawberry jello and fat free Sugar free whipped topping to try and ebb my cravings. That did not work. I also tried buying a tub of ice cream (moose tracks is my downfall!!) And I portioned it out into the smallest size Rubbermaid containers I think they are a half a cup each. And that worked as a nightly snack but not so healthy. So id say im definitely more on the sweet side. Though I also have an addiction to sunflower seeds. I usually eat 2 small bags a day. It's my TV watching snack. Better then chips I suppose but still salty and filled with fats. During my day I am on my feet constantly walking or standing in place I usually would get 8k steps or so. I did charge my fitbit so I can use it again but, my feet KILL me when I stop moving or sit down. It's like a railroad spike is being driven up my heel the first couple of steps in the morning. It's been a good few months now and I plan on asking my dr about it when I see her next month but according to Dr Google I'm pretty sure is plantar fasciitis. I do have insoles for my shoes, I've tried many but none help alot. Anyway so that would be my excuse for sitting on my bum watching TV until bed after work. When I lost my weight Ito was easystem the first time. I had just gotten dumped my my ex and we were together for 7 years so I didn't have many friends and swore to get my revenge body so I just lived at the gym and made mostly good choices like no soda Monday thru Friday and packing lunch even though I worked at a restaurant. And I was only 22 so it fell off. Now I'm 27, I'm married and always with my husband if we are home. I do try to get my dogs out for about 6 miles a week, but other then that I'm too lazy and lack discipline to do the amount I did before.

What do you fill your day with after work? Perhaps at work if you have a desk Job that isnt customer facing you could get a fitness ball to sit on even if it's just anot hour a day, balancing burns a few extra calories. Also, and I'm sure you've known about it but just incase I'll mention it anyways! Parking farther away, at work or the grocery store. Taking stairs instead of elevators. Walking in place during commercial breaks. All little calorie burners that add up over time! I wish I could reference what u said while I rely to answer your questions. I feel like I forgot some! Oh, for this post I hit the star button and hit subscribe that way I can find it straight away. Once you subscribe just go to forums, then hit the menu and click subscriptions and it should be there

Have a good Sunday!
-M
Old 06-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #7  
slow and steady is ok

Thanks for the tips on fitness. They are certainly good reminders. Also thanks for telling me how to subscribe to this strand. It will make it much easier to find it each day. I am a school administrator so some days I am walking a lot while other days I am at a desk completing paperwork or sitting in meetings. Those are the days I am going to have to make the extra effort to get up and move. Again, I know how to do it, I just have to be motivated enough to do so. Physical activity is difficult at times due to arthritis in my knees and an auto-immune disorder that affects my muscles but I am not going to let either one of them win. I am not old enough for that nonsense.

I am quite a bit older that you though, in fact you are just a year older than my youngest son. In the evening when I get home from work I complete additional work related stuff for about 2 hours and then watch TV with my husband. A couple of nights a month I get together with a group of friends for Bunco or book club. Wow, I am really highlighting our age difference there. On the weekends I run errands and my husband and I like to go to festivals, antique shows. etc. My youngest son is getting married in Oct 2018 so I am also on the hunt for things for the wedding at a great price. I don't have a daughter but his fiancee and I are close and she has asked me to help. She tells me what she wants and I start looking. I am really enjoying the planning part of this.

I just finished my first week of using My fitness Pal and I am down 4.4 pounds. Yipee, I always love the first week weigh-in. I am at a conference today and tomorrow so it is catered meals for me. Not good for the diet for sure. For instance, lunch today was salad, chicken with risotto and asparagus, and cheesecake. They also had a bread assortment which I passed on. Did I pass on the cheesecake you ask. Well, the answer is a resounding no. I ate it and really enjoyed it. I have decided I can't deprive myself of everything so in special circumstances I will allow myself to indulge, but that doesn't mean I can go completely overboard. This morning they served bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches on a croissant and a fruit cup. I ate the fruit and took the sandwich apart so that I didn't eat the croissant. Baby steps I guess.

From what you describe I agree it sounds like you have plantar fascitis. I have had that before and it is very painful. When I had it my doctor had me take Aleeve and I found it helped if I took 600 mg. It also helped to freeze a water bottle and roll the arch of my affected foot over it while sitting (about 20 minutes at a time). Aetrex and Earth Origin shoes helped as well. I hope you get some relief from the pain soon.

Have you ever made the chocolate cake that uses a devils food cake mix and a can of pumpkin? It is extremely moist and a small piece may satisfy your chocolate craving. If you haven't ever had it let me know and I will be happy to send you the directions. My sons love it.

Have a great day.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #8  

Default .

I suppose I'm a few years younger but I don't really feel it! I know someday I'll kick myself for wasting away on a couch watching chopped in the peak years.
I also like to read though but usually light things on myvdeck or on the beach it's been a while since a book has been good enough to have me choose it over the tv though. I'm reading the Stephanie plum series, just started so only on book 3 but it's humerous, has some romance and some mystery so its a little bit of everything

I'm a pharmacy technician/rx supervisor at a CVS. I love what I do but when I'm in the pharmacy it's slot of standing still and that's when my feet start to get cranky. When i work up front I can walk around and move more so it's a little better. I will definitely look into those shoe brands! So funny, of all places I was at the gyno and I asked the nurse what shoes she wears cause it's a known fact they never sit down and she said Asics kayano gel is what she was wearing. I looked them up and they were around $99-120. Which would have been okay but only a few months ago I invested a similar amount into a pair of dansko clogs after reading reviews on those. Very supportive but didn't help me unfortunately. That water bottle trick is genious! I've been using a bag of frozen corn haha.

A wedding!! Weddings are so fun and a good goal to give yourself. Also a great way to get to know your new daughter I just got married in October. We did teal and yellow/sunflower theme. It was cheap as far as weddings go but it was perfect. Are you on pinterest? I'm addicted and there's so many great ideas on there too!!

Well I usually have one weekday and one weekend day off per week. I really try to take my dogs for long walks near creeks where they can swim and play. I also love love love to kayak! Nothing crazy just a lake or easy going stream and I'm all over it. That's another issue with my weight. My kayak seat has metal clips and they dig into my hips :/ but hopefully soon they won't anymore! I also love to work on my garden but they only thing I can seem to keep alive are pansies and hostas. I tried growing from seedlings and that did not end well so I cheated and just bought some. I also have azelias that I'm trying to keep alive I love to go out to eat with my husband too. After around 7pm unless we go to see a movie or something I usually watch tv the rest of the night. Which as u can see is until 3am most days due to his work schedule. I Do this even when he's at work. I just watch tv for hours and hours. I need to work on getting to the gym 3 times a week and sticking to that.

I'll admit I have not been good the last few days. I did have a cookout at my parents and skipped over the carbs on Saturday. But then Sunday we went to Texas roadhouse and I had 2 buns and a pork bbq the size of my face. Then tonight was wing Monday with my co workers so I got 6 bbq wings and fried pickles. So not the best :/ I'm going to the beach for 3 days starting Wednesday and I know I won't behave there either. I really just need to get 8nto gear when I get back. I have my fitness pal but I find that if I've been a disappointment that day I don't use it because I just don't want to deal with the numbers (there's my immaturity showing!) But as with fitbit I will make it a goal to do all step goals and fitness pal check ins when I get back from vacation. I'll start small, just every day for 14 days I think I can do that.

You sound like you're well on your way very disciplined with leaving out the carbs. And yes there was the cheesecake but at least it wasn't cheesecake AND all that bread so still you're kicking butt I've always been in awe of people who could completely cut carbs and go into ketosis but I know I do not have half that strength! I tried medifast a few years ago. When I started putting weight back on. $200 a month for the most terrible food I've ever eaten. I got to day 3 of the prepackaged meals and then just ate the bars, breakfast, lunch and I could have a salad for dinner. I was literally crying by day 4.

My husband, who was just my boyfriend at the time there all of it away and said it's completely ridiculous. About a year later I tried again, another $200 and a breakdown over just wanting pizza. So never trying that again! I feel like I just need fatcamp. Just like a month of eating clean and working out and having fun with a bunch of other women who are overweight. To help build the habits and discipline. I've almost signed up for weight watchers a few times. I felt like the meetings could really help. But I'm scared to waste more money.

I have not heard of the pumpkin devils food cake but I'll try anything send me the directions and I'll give it a go!

You seem like a fighter, not letting arthritis and the disorder get in your way well, when I did go to the gym and I really really really didn't want to go I would tell myself just go, just 10 minutes and if u still don't want to be there then u can leave. I never took my own offer, once i went and was there I felt good about it, and even prouder when I left for getting through my laziness. Perhaps trying that take for your walks around the school to get your steps? Tell yourself if u just do one block of halls then u can go back and sit and maybe once you're up and moving motivation to strike will outweigh the pain. Another trick i read about food but haven't applied it's telling yourself I don't eat that. So instead of thinking oh I can't have that croissant, you say I don't eat croissants. Something about the words makes your brain process it differently? I can't remember the terminology they used but perhaps it's worth a shot even though you're doing well in that department!

Take care

-M

Last edited by Midnightangel1690; 06-13-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #9  
slow and steady is ok

The more you write the more I see that we have in common. I love the Janet Evanovich books. I have read through book 13.

The Devils Food chocolate cake recipe is 1 box of devil's food cake mix, i can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) and 1/2 cup of water. Mix them all together and pour into a 9x11 cake pan (spray with Pam first). The batter will be thick and sticky, It will nor rise when you bake it so don't be alarmed. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. When it is done let it cool completely. Spread coolwhip for the icing and store in the refrigerator. It is actually better cold.

In the fall substitute spice cake mix and make mini pumpkin muffins. They are so good. You decrease the water to 1/4 cup. When I make them I don't use mini muffin liners, I just spray the mini muffin tin and bake them for 20-22 minutes at 350.

I tried Medifast for a very short time but like you I did not like the food at all. Didn't stay on it for very long. I like your idea of telling myself I don't eat certain things. It gives it a positive spin. I have actually cut way back on gluten. I had so much pain in my left ankle and I just could not figure out what was going on. My son is a personal trainer in VA and when he saw me in Dec he was concerned as well. He asked me to try cutting way back on gluten to see if I could get any relief. As an adult he discovered he has a gluten sensitivity and gets severe neck pain when he eats it. I decided to try cutting back for 2 weeks to see if it would make any difference. After a week I was surprised by how much better I felt. Of course I have continued to eat very little gluten and it has made a huge difference with my ankle.

I hope you have fun at the beach. I am originally from Florida and I love to walk along the beach. Enjoy yourself and we will work on this journey together. We just have to look at it not as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. We can do this.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #10  

I'm definitely having fun at the beach and not being too bad with food. I haven't gotten fries and I have only gotten small ice creams.
I never would have guessed gluten could be such a nuisance. No wonder gluten free is so popular now.

Thank you for the recipe! I'll have to try it sometime next week

We can definitely do this! Perhaps by winter we will both need some smaller jeans when the temperatures drop. When I was thinner a few years ago I was 170 lbs and a size 10. And I was so happy so that's my ultimate goal. My sister and I have the same none structure and she weighs 120 and I feel like she looks too thin. I'd be happy with 150 at the least possible but really 170 is my magic nunber. But more importantly I just want to get to a size 8. Just being in the single digits in pants would thrill me. I think for me I'm going to try to focus more on inches lost then pounds but I know I'll still weigh myself. Anyways, sorry I dont have slot to say today. I'm tuckered out from dodging waves and getting sunburnt (only a little though)

Take care!

-M
Old 06-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #11  
slow and steady is ok

Sounds like you are staying on track while at the beach. Keep it up!

In an earlier post you spoke about your wedding. It sounds like it was beautiful. I love sunflowers. The kids wedding will have a bit of a Bohemian feel to it and the colors are ivory and gold with jewel tone accents. My son loves old buildings so they are having their reception at a building that was built in 1904 and was designed by the same architect that designed the buildings for the World's Fair in St Louis. It is such a neat venue. They don't have a ton of money for the wedding and reception, but they found the perfect venue. I am having loads of fun picking things up from a Wedding Resale site on Facebook, as well as the app Offer Up. We have found lots of bargins. I just got a large floor easel for $5.00. What a deal!!!

Tonight my husband and I are going to a neighbor's for a game night with them and some other neighbor.s We don't know any of them. We connected on the Nextdoor site. We all live in the same neighborhood and I think it will be fun. I checked to see if we could bring a snack to share, and she said she has fruit, veggies, Smart pop and Kettle Corn. Perfect! I won't be tempted to eat something that I shouldn't.

Continue enjoying the time at the beach.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #12  

The venue sounds gorgeous
! My husband and I really lucked out on a fewer high ticket items. The photographer was free as I knew one from my previous job. She hadn't been in practice for years but the pictures were great nonetheless. And my husband set up a network inside of a bakery for a friend of a friend a long time ago and the lady who owns it came to know us because we'd stop in for cupcakes every so often. She made us an adorable little cake for $30. We Sam's clubbed the rest of the cupcakes and found the cheapest fire hall for the reception. We met online and our first date was meeting at a park (public place so neither of us could murder the other haha) and that's where we ended up for the ceremony. I always dreamed of a beach wedding but perhaps to renew our vows in 25 years fingers crossed!

I also am a part of a few yardsale sites near me. They do come in handy. I got our kitchen table for $20! And sold a bunch of stuff too. Though I've never used an app for buying or selling, perhaps I should.

That does sound like a very healthy lifestyle friendly party I honestly know one neighbor 3 blocks down lol and that's it so perhaps I should try that too!

It saddens me to say my beach trip is over it was just a quick 3 day trip but it was enough to push my reset button for many things. It's always nice to come home with a clear head.

So what are some visions of yourself at your goal? What would mean to you that you "got there"? A dress size? Or ability to do things you couldn't now? For me, I told you my kayak digs into my hips. I love roller coasters but they also are tough sometimes for my wide hips to squeeze into. I love looking at pictures of yoga and someday aspire to do some moderate moves and hold proper form. I'd like to be in pictures and not stick out as the biggest one. I'd like my husband to be able to lift me up. For piggy back rides or on his shoulders in the pool. Pretty sure i'd break his back right now haha. I don't have kids yet but plan to in my very early 30's and I want to be healthy and able to play with my grandkids someday and watch them grow as long as I can.

My co workers and I just did the Color Run today and it was so fun but I struggled alot on the hills. The 2 girls I was with are more close knit so they got ahead and didn't notice me falling behind, which is completely understandable, they were having their own conversations. I did have another co worker who did wait up or hang back with me and talk and he made it seem like it was his normal pace too which was very kind. But in the pictures i took and they took i am just so much bigger then all of them. I still feel pretty but i just look at myself and thats not the me i know i am.

Anyways first day back to work tomorrow. (Ew!) So I'm gonna try to relax a bit before bed. Talk to you soon!!

-M

Last edited by Midnightangel1690; 06-17-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #13  
slow and steady is ok

Congratulations on doing the Color Run. That is amazing and you should be extremely proud of yourself for doing it. It doesn't matter that you fell behind your co-workers. You finished it and that is a fantastic accomplishment.

How will I know I reached my goal? My first goal is to be able to sit comfortably in a booth at a restaurant and to be able to fly without having to request a seat belt extender. I would also like to be able to go up a flight of steps without being short of breath. My longer-term goal is to be able to wear a plum dress that I have to my son's wedding. It is beautiful and has a gorgeous beaded jacket. Right now I am about 5 dress sizes too big to wear it. When his wedding gets here I would probably buy a new one even if I can wear it, but I would like to know I could wear it if I chose too. I wore it once when he was 2 years old and would love to know I could fit into it again. My ultimate goal is to be about 165 pounds. That is over 150 pounds from where I started, so I know it will take quote a bit of time and will power to get there. Most of all, I want to be here for my family and any grand children that I may have in the future. My family is my greatest joy.

So, you are back to work tomorrow. What are you planning to do to get this weight loss journey started? As for me, I am going to make an effort to increase my average steps per day by 500, and continue to pack a healthy lunch and snacks this week. I am also going to log everything I eat on My Fitness Pal each day.

Have a good day at work, and know I am here cheering for you.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 315/315/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi! I just joined 3fc and I am also over 300 lbs.. 315 the last I weighed myself.. which was about a week or so ago.. I pray I haven't gained since then. what caught my attention here was the comment about the seat belt extender on a plane. I'm planning on going to Az late Aug or early Sept and I was wondering just tonight if I'll even fit in the seats.

I am 46 and am at my heaviest point. This has GOT to stop. I'm just unsure how to do it. I think I'm going to go low carb/keto.. but I'm not all that familiar with the plans... and I get no exercise, but Idk if I can do anything, besides walk... I do have a treadmill though.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me butting in here.. I'm just browsing around the site and saw this post and thought I'd pop in.
JennaFurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #15  

Yes I was super proud to have finished the color run it was fun and I blew away my steps that day! I think the small changes and short term goals of yours are good ones. 500 steps extra day us very doable. You can even walk in place during commercials. I've done it before and the fitbit still registers it!. My goals for this week are to log into myfitnesspal every day and stick to the 1700 calorie budget even if I exercise and earn more aclories. Also to get 10k steps a day on my fitbit. I also want to stretch. Nothing major, just a few moves to limber up and relax my body more before bed. I'm so glad we have one another to hold accountable and go over our goals for the week.

And, Jenna, I have never flown before as I am terrified!! So I'm not sure how the seatbelts are on a plane. I mentioned my love of rollercoaster and how I cannot fit on those. I'm 5'2 272 lbs. I'm a size 18/20 pants and xl top. Not sure how you compare because we aren't far off in pounds. I personally would never be able to do keto. I have no self discipline and will dive head first into the nearest extra cheese pizza face first after 2 days!! I've lost a lot of weight before and used the 80/20 rule for clean eating. You can try to find a book I keep handy for reference it a called "the eat clean diet-recharged" by Tosca reno. It pretty much emphasizes clean whole foods and good portions. A rule of thumb is if it doesn't grow from the ground or have a mother don't eat it! Stick to the perimeter of the grocery store as much as possible. Veggies, lean meats etc. Combine a lean protein (like turkey breast) and a complex carb (like quinoa or brown multigrain rice) for your meals. It will keep you fuller longer! As I said before I just struggle so bad with discipline and Oreos are delicious and hard to ignore!! But I will be trying harder with my new found friend here. I don't mind you butting in at all

I don't know your real names so I call you Joy (my first friend here) and jenna. That way if you stay with us I can say who I'm speaking to before it gets confusing!! My name is Missie

We are all stronger then the food in front of us. We have goals that matter more then temporary temptations! We can do this!

-Missie

Last edited by Midnightangel1690; 06-19-2017 at 09:34 PM.