General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #1  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Default What causes the "swoosh" is weight loss?

So I've been losing steadily since May of last year and had dropped about 45 lbs when everything stalled. I got stuck at 153 for like 6 or 7 weeks. It was a seriously frustrating plateau. My first mini-goal is 145 and to be so close and making no progress was frustrating. Then last week- swoosh- the weight started falling off again and I'm 149.6 today. Finally into a new decade, at least.

What causes the "swoosh" in weight loss? I'm not using any new supplements, not really exercising any more than I was. My exercise has changed a little recently since the weather is nicer so I'm going outside hiking/biking more and less of my TV workouts. But I don't feel like I'm working any harder, in fact my workouts feel easier.

Is it just normal to plateau in weight loss and then re-start? Do our bodies need a break and so they take one?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/See Ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

There are so many things that could cause the "swoosh". For me, water has a lot to do with it- I'll be drinking a lot of water and then start to slack off and drink less. When I start up again I'll loose some water weight and then I stall again as my body adjusts to my hydration levels. Once it has adjusted I start losing fat again and the scale shows it.

The change in workouts- whether they feel easier or not-- can help too. Bodies get used to a specific workout and then that work out stops being as effective. The variation kicks your body back into gear in some cases.

Whatever the cause is, congrats on breaking your plateau!

Last edited by KsLittleSparrow; 06-13-2017 at 10:20 AM.
KsLittleSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:36 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

The way it's been described to me is that, because our bodies are programmed to hold onto fat/weight as a survival technique from the Stone Age, once some of our fat cells empty, they fill up with water, which has weight. Once our bodies are reassured that the food is still coming in, and it doesn't need to protect itself from famine, it releases the water out of the cells, and the whoosh happens.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

To me, only the monthly cycles cause the swoosh. I may lose a pound or so in between, but really the major loss of 2+ pounds happens only during the start of monthly cycles.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 AM   #5  
Here to Learn

Interesting. The closer I get to goal weight, the more I have long plateaus. I spent six weeks at 153, then in a matter of a couple of weeks I dropped to 148. When I had more to lose, I lost it faster, now it's more work and longer plateaus and I understand that. I'm just not clear on what I might be doing or not doing that's causing the body to finally let go.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:06 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I don't think it's anything you're doing/not doing. I think the nature of whooshes is that they're just what the body does.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #7  
Halo Top Lover.

S/C/G: 265/149/125

Height: 5'8"

Your fat cells hold water in them as you lose weight to prepare to be refilled with fat once again.
When the whoosh is triggered (alcohol usually does it for me), the fat cells dispose of the water inside and shrink.
I've heard carb loads also trigger them.
AshleyFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

This assessment in a blog made a lot of sense to me and has given me much peace! What I don't know is if it is scientifically valid. It is true that water and CO2 are waste products of burning fat.

http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-26-2017 at 08:59 PM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 AM   #9  
Here to Learn

Thanks for that link, GrannyNancy, I will check it out!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I liked this part, about how to make the whoosh happen.

Scientists in the study referenced above actually found a trigger to cause the whoosh effect. You ready? It was a single meal that included a dramatic increase in caloric intake. For instance, a 2,300-calorie meal was served to celebrate the half-way mark of the experiment, and researchers noted that many of the men woke up several times to pee that night and, in the morning, were several pounds lighter than the day before.

Yeah, you read that right, a small cheat-meal triggered the drop in water-weight… And it’s one of the key reasons I recommend incorporating a REASONABLE cheat-meal once a week into your long-term weight loss plan.

Once again, it’s important to reiterate that you don’t NEED to do anything to trigger the whoosh effect. It’ll happen when it happens. But sometimes, if you’ve been dieting for a long time (6+ weeks) and haven’t lost anything on the scale for 1-2 weeks, a small cheat meal can help you feel like things are “back on track”.

I have heard this before....that calorie cycling or carb cycling can break a plateau. But I think you have to be careful that the extra calories are still healthy foods, not just have a lot of junk food to up your calories. That could increase cravings and/or cause a binge IMO.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

To me just knowing that it is a plateau and a whoosh *will* happen makes me more inclined not to try to force it. It is all to easy for a cheat day to become more and more frequent. To me, this is changing the way I eat food for life and food is sustenance and that makes eating what I am eating now the "non desired" state and the heavy meal the "reward". I just don't want to think that way anymore.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #12  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyFaith View Post
Your fat cells hold water in them as you lose weight to prepare to be refilled with fat once again.
When the whoosh is triggered (alcohol usually does it for me), the fat cells dispose of the water inside and shrink.
I've heard carb loads also trigger them.

I agree. When I've gone maybe 8 days with decent food
and fitness, my body responded to allowing something
high carb. Only when I still incorporated fitness. Like
magic the whoosh would strike. There have absolutely
been harsher stalls though. I'dsay closer to goal the
body holds tighter to those fat cells.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 235/186/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Agree

I definitely think getting your water in & adding exercise, regardless of how strenuous, helps! Keep it up!
itsmesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #14  

Default plateaus

It is normal to reach a plateau. try adding small things over time to your diet good supplements that create a thermogenic response like cayenne pepper if you can handle spice l'carnitine is great for increase blood flow into fat cells that have been there for a while also helping you increase energy. theres lots more and quite a science to it. let me know if you want any free advice
msmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote