General Diet Plans and Questions - Doing our own thing - September 2003

Jello
09-01-2003, 08:07 AM
It's September already!!! Who's got their Christmas shopping done yet? Anyone? Anyone? :rolleyes:

Well, OK, then how about we start off the rest of our lives today? Soon Fall will be in the air and we can hide our bodies under wooly sweaters and thick coats. But it's tough to hide from ourselves. Gotta get undressed sometime.... :lol:

Some of our little group (but EVERYONE is welcome! :) ) have decided to post our weights daily, right here on the internet for all to see. :eek: ..... hmm....

What was I thinking!!?!

Nope, I'm gonna do it!! My "official start(ing over) weight" ...

185.0 :encore:

Now I gotta go work on goals for the month/year/life.....

SEMO
09-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Happy Labor Day. I'm off today and so far haven't done a thing. What a waste of a day off. DS and girlfriend spent the night at the hospital got home about two hours when called back to be with her mother, they are going to try and remove the breathing tube and she won't let them until her daughter is there. Dr said she probably had less than a week, so hard on the family.

Sept 1st - 1st day of South Beach Diet and weighing in at 168.2

Hope my book gets here soon. Internet info (If my memory is correct) says to eat at least 2 cups of veggies per meal, does that mean breakfast too? Went to the grocery yesterday and stocked up so no excuses. Someone with the book, pinto and white beans they are okay, right?

You all have a great day.

Faye, I couldn't get your picture to pull up, will try it at work tomorrow. The computer we have at home is terrible, had to pull the old one out when lighting got the new one. No budget to replace yet. Hubby won't let me turn it in on insurance, we had to replace the roof last year because of a storm and he's afraid that they will cancel us.

Going this time. Bye!

Annex
09-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Christmas shopping? thinking about it a little early are we? lol

course I shouldn't talk. our neighbor has his Christmas lights all done up outside already lol

Jello
09-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Tuesday morning - 184.6.

I was a good girl yesterday. Drank gallons of water. Even ate all my veggies. :D

Yeah Annex, there's a few folks in our neighborhood who just keep those little lights up all year around. No fun in that.

Semo, doing nothing isn't necessarily a waste of a day off! :twirly: Oh but your DS, girlfriend and family are in my prayers. :angel:

Ah but I've got stuff to do. Rooms are covered in plaster dust (don't ask) and although I've promised not to move heavy furniture, there's plenty of other cleaning to be done. One more week before it's back to the grind. :( I've savoring the moments.

Talk to you all later!

SEMO
09-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Good Moring Ladies and Gent. Wt as of this morning 168 on the nose. Did one hour on the orbiteck yesterday and have 20 mins down this morning. I have to get back into the habit of getting up earlier.

Baked some cookies and took to the hosiptal yesterday. Sent some Butter pecan bars Saturday for the family to have in the ICU waiting room. DH and I went Friday night and I went back yesterday, I got to see her yesterday since there weren't many family members there. Sad to see such a sprited woman so helpless, if all goes well, they hope to take the breathing tube out today. She was showing improvement yesterday, we are still praying for a miracle.

Annex, tell us about yourself, sorry to ask if you have already done so. Did I hear someone say you were 30? My oldest son will be 30 in December........ Can we Mamma You? :D Most of the guys that work here are my youngest son's age, I try to mother them, but as sons do with their mothers.....they don't listen to a thing I say! :)

Well, work calleth.......... Have a great Monday, oh I mean Tuesday, feels like Monday doesn't it.

Edited to Say; Faye, I went back to look at your pictures and WOW, you have done a great job!

DNW
09-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Sorry I was missing in action everybody. Well I don't have to cut up a cat this semester for school since I had to change to Chemistry at the last minute. Apparently you can't take the Anatomy class until you do the Chemistry...thank God I have the repreive until the spring!!

Also had the MRI for my back and should get the results today. Although the Skelaxtin helped relaxed the muscles in my spine the pain is still there so I am waiting until I hear from my nurse practitioner before I start the exercise tapes again. And I would really like to start them soon.

As for weight....well this year using Fitday.com and becoming a regular member of our thread I lost and kept off 14.5 pounds. Although that is not a lot it is significant for me that I did not gain it back at any time. I know that the encouragement and focus I got from all of you plus recording everything I ate at fitday.com kept me on track. Thanks for al the love and support!! Hopefully I can lose more weight before I start nursing school next September.

Welcome Annex!! You are among a really nice group of people...hope we can help you in your journey for weight issues.

Well I am back at work so I gotta get back to what they pay me for.....

Cafe976
09-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Hello NEW THREAD! And all of y'all of course. ;)

OK, well this is the official 1st day of the South Beach Diet for me. DH is going on it with me for moral support. He'll be cheating left and right (which is fine) but I'm so stoked about this because regardless he will now KNOW what this effort is. They just think it's so easy, it will do wonders for my willpower to hear him complain. :devil: (I know, I know, but?!? :lol: ) He doesn't have anything to lose so it's just a game between us - to make the first few days fun.

SEMO - I hate to be the one to say it, but no beans the first two weeks <sorry> but after that they are OK, from what I remember. My offer stands if anyone would like any part of the book scanned while they can't get their hands on it yet.

So I made those quiche-to-go thingies? They're good, but they're small, suggested serving is 2. DH ate two when he woke up, said in 10 minutes he went from starving to OK so he was impressed. However, he did eat 2 more with me while I ate my breakfast. :lol:

So I have a question- the book says, if you're hungry, increase your portions... but then the meal plans have pretty specific amounts mentioned... So how does that apply to these quiche cups? They're made in a muffin pan and are literally, like little hockey pucks about 3/4" to perhaps 1" thick. Not that I'm complaining (oh no, not me!) And I have to admit that oddly enough I'm not hungry (although that reminds me it's about time for a snack.) OK, so anyone got any thoughts?

Anyway: Quiche-to-go-Cups recipe, thumbs up on taste, thumb to the side (wavering) on quantity. Easy to make, doesn't take long, store well so can have them on hand... GOOD.

Hugs around - I'm off to read the rest of last month's thread. :)

P.S. Welcome Annex! so what would happen if I called you Annie? :s: (I'm just playing)

Annex
09-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Semo - nooooooo I'm 24 lol

Cafe - Annie? I don't mind. That's actually a nickname of mine :)

gma22
09-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Hey everyone! Hope you all have a nice holiday weekend. I have been sick the whole time and we had dd, sil and the stinker here yesterday and he of course was a live wire and I felt like you know what!

I got my hour in the pool and so far one routine on the glider and 2 to go.

Tig: I knew the festival would do you in! They have food galore and nothing that won't put fat on the behind! Hope you had a good time though! I miss it.

Semo: Thanks, I have been really working hard to make my personal goal by my birthday, but with me being sick the last few days I certainly haven't done anything to help it. I have to pick up speed big time!

Annex: I remember this couple when we lived in Indiana and they had THE most ghastly Christmas decor. A hodge podge or religious and Santa stuff and it stayed up about 10 months out of the year!

No, haven't done any shopping just planned a trip to Nashville to the Opry outlet mall with dd in November. Should be interesting. We are like sandpaper and glass together. I haven't spent an entire day with her since she was in high school and with good reason. She is to put it bluntly a *****er and I am just the opposite. I get tired of listening to it, ya know? Her poor husband, but he knew what he was getting before he married her so he is stuck!:lol: The thing is, I love her to death I just don't LIKE her.

Dh patched my cat's try at redecorating our house, but has had to redo part of it 3 times because the cat keeps tearing it down ! I finally got up there this morning (it is on the ceiling way back in the corner where the fridge is) and put some more patching compound up there and did a pretty fair job. Made me feel good that I could get on a ladder and do it now! Now if the little bugger will stay out of it until it dries and I can sand and paint it we will be alright. Those front claws have got to go but it is going to have to wait for now. We have $1000 worth of electrical work has to be done by the middle of next month to bring the condo up to code again. UGH!

I have 26 more days til D-day! I am just kidding, but can't say I am looking forward to 50. I didn't mind 40 but 50 is bothering me some! Luckily I have a husband who doesn't mind being married to an old woman! :lol:

Have a great day group

Faye

Tigerlily
09-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi. I posted on the old tread this morning. :o

Faye, it wasn't so much the food tempting me at the festival as it was my Mother. She bought all kinds of food. Luckily there were four of us and we split everything. So, got to sample lots of stuff without going hog wild. The best...blueberry donuts that melt in your mouth. Dangerous, very dangerous.

Cafe, I haven't been following the portion much. I'm more just using the foods list. Something I like to make..I use a large piece of baby swiss and wrap it around my turkey. Kinda like a rollup with no bread.

loose dog,,,gotta run.....

SEMO
09-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Cafe, I didn't eat the pinto beans, but thought they were okay. Glad, I passed on them. This is day two for me.

brighterdays
09-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

Sorry I have been AWOL lately....been busy with the little "addition" to the family, kids involved in school, and just keeping up with life in general.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend.:cheers:

I've been reading about the South Beach diet....really close to Atkins for the first 2 weeks, I'd say. I'm not really good at low carb diets so I'm still researching to see if I can handle this one....I'll let you know.

I stopped WW a few weeks ago but have continued to lose despite that ... I think it's the abundance of fresh fruits out there at this time of year and I love fall weather.

Sorry to hear about your ds's girlfriend's mother's illness, SEMO. What a life changing experience...I know that every time I am close to someone with such a crisis in their life, it changes my view on my life and makes me grateful for healthy kids and family. They always say we are given only as much as we can bear...must be a strong woman in there. Sounds like you are doing well on the SBD.

DNW: glad to hear everything is coming around with school. Hope that back gets better!

Cafe: That is so cute that your husband is doing the SBD with you! I'm trying to talk a few co-workers into following it...no luck so far. What quiche-thingys are you talking about? I'm sure I missed something so point me in the right direction, if you would....

Annex: Good luck in keeping up with this crew. I have to read for miles just to feel caught up when I go AWOL..... Nice to see another new face on the thread.

Huntress: Where are you hiding, girl? Hope all is okay and you are just enjoying this fall weather down south.

Jello: You are the home improvement :queen: girl! I'd be savoring those off days, too.

Tiger: Blueberry donuts? Wow, those sound great! You are doing SBD too, right?

Faye: You don't look a bit like 50 but happy birthday early! You never know when I'll get back here so I better say it now! I've heard the nashville mall is super....great to get some Christmas shopping in I'm sure.

Hello to everyone I missed.

Have a little reprieve from the puppy---her "owner"(my dd) is not working this pm so she and the boyfriend have the dog with them. My family was making fun of me this weekend because I treat the dog like a infant...they never thought I would ever have an inside pet after the hamster got loose.... we had to "fish" it out of the furnace ductwork with a carrot tied to a velour robe tie---took me an hour and several tries before he hung on and finally got hungry enough to come up!!!!:faint:

That's all I've got, folks!

Take care all and keep the umbrellas handy...it's gonna be some wet days coming up!!!

:rain:
Bright

Jello
09-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Jello at 183.8. See how I post faithfully when the numbers are good. :s: I was a good girl yesterday. Two days in a row!

There's this pizza place near me that has veggie pizza. :jeno: It's a thin crust, a little tomato sauce, a tiny bit of cheese ... and then piled an inch high with broccoli, spinach, mushrooms and fresh tomatoes. :T So delicious but expensive! So I thought about a new type of home improvement - food improvement. The only problem I'm having is with the crust. Got some mediterranean flat bread, added tomato sauce (low sodium flavored with Mrs. Dash), fat free shredded mozzarella and then heaped on the veggies, frozen chopped broccoli and spinach from the freezer, fresh tomatoes from the garden.... Another sprinkle of spices and into the toaster oven. Not bad. Needs a little "tweeking".

Brighter, good to see you and congrats on the continued loss. Must be from chasing that little "addition" around all the time. :lol:

DNW, how's the weather? It's been raining non-stop for 2 days here. :rain: I'm sending it your way 'k?

Faye, I had a friend that I used to get along with like you and DD. When I first left my ex, she suggested she and I get an apartment together. I tried to hide the look on my face. Love her like a sister but we'd have killed each other within a week! :stars: Problem was that being with her was just exhausting sometimes. Haven't seen her in a while. :?: Hope she's happier with life these days. Hm.....

Tiger, sounds like you did pretty well at the festival. Blueberry everything! Yum! :T

Well, I gotta go. Spending part of today covering anything that doesn't move with drop cloths so Rich can sand freshly patched walls when he gets home without getting an inch of plaster dust on everything. Oh it never ends.....

Tigerlily
09-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Good Morning.
196 today. Up half a pound. Must be delayed reaction from the Blueberry food.:dizzy: I'm probably lucky I didn't gain more.

Grocery day. I hate planning meals lately. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a chef to do that stuff for ya...buy the RIGHT foods and prepare them.:cloud9: While I'm dream'n, I'll take a personal trainer too.

Jello, we use drywall dust as a food garnish at my house.:lol:

Gotta get the kids ready for school. :twirly:

sassysus
09-03-2003, 08:02 AM
Goodmorning all!

Well this is day 10 for me SBD'ing, and all is going well. Got on the scale this am and am down to 175! I got on and off the scale 3 times cause I didn't believe it lol! So in those first 10 days I have lost 6 pounds. I am happy with that. 15 to go to my first goal, then we'll see.........

About the portion sizes. I asked that same question on one of the forums and was just told to eat till satisfied, that those are just guidelines to make sure you are getting enough veggies, etc.

Those quiche cups are yummy! Just finished my two actually! When I make them I throw a lot of veggies in-then use 1 package of liquid eggs(1 cup) and mix. Put in sprayed muffin tins, and to make them a little larger, fill up the cups with additional liquid egg to the top. I usually end up using 2 or close to it cups of liquid egg. It makes 12- and there is 10 eggs in 2 cups so its not even 2 eggs per serving.

Has anyone tried the riccotas yet? My favorites are the mocha(didn't use the chocolate chips) and vanilla. I use my hand blender, and they come out very smooth.

Hope you all have a great day!

Starting Weight-220
Current Weight-175:D
Next goal-160

SEMO
09-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Good Morning, day three - 167.8 Okay where are these recipes that you all are talking about? I haven't received my book yet, are they in there? I'm missing my whole wheat bread and yogurt, sniff, sniff. This is going to be a long two weeks..........

They didn't remove the breathing tube yesterday, I tried talking to DS yesterday at noon, but he's so worn out that I couldn't get any information from him. He left going back to the hospital before I got home from work. Guess him being unemployed has at least been a help with staying close to the hospital. He was going to go to the schools yesterday and sign up to sub, but bless his heart, he's wiped out.

Nothing much going on, it seems to be raining everyday. We got 3 inches of rain,at our house, yesterday and just a few miles away they got six. Corn farmers are trying to harvest their corn, so another set back.

Chow.

gma22
09-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Hello to everyone!

I DID A 5K WALK THIS MORNING! YAHOOOO:cb: :cp: Now I know I will be able to do the race in October with no problem. DD had the wrong race and finally found the race for the cure one that we are SUPPOSED to be in and it is Oct 25. I even have a couple hills to climb this morning and it is really humid and muggy and was sprinkling rain a little.

Boy sounds like everyone is busy. Bright, I will trade puppy for cat! I hope to get the sanding and painting done on the ceiling today so he won't "recognize" the spot he tore down anymore, but we shall see. Oh and thanks for the compliment. Most people think my dh is a lot younger than I when in reality he is 4 years older. I don't feel 50 (well occasionally it creeps up on me!:lol: ) I guess it is just that half century thing and the fact that everywhere I turn I find people who could be my children! :lol:

I better run as I want to get in a pool workout before the sky opens up, but when has that ever stopped me right?

Faye

Jello
09-03-2003, 10:49 AM
I'm with Semo. Quiche cups? Ricottas?

Can someone post these wonderful sounding recipes?

Tigerlily
09-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Jello, I saw the quiche cup recipe on the low carb/fat chicks on a beach/recipe thread. I think maybe the riccotas might be at the Prevention website. I haven't tried either one yet.
I have had cottage cheese with splenda and cinnamon.:T

No dream chef showed up to buy my groceries, so I had to do it.
Now, in the exciting life I lead, I'm wait'n for the grass to dry so I can mow. It's rained for three days straight and no sunshine today...I may be waiting a long time. :dz:

Cafe976
09-03-2003, 01:03 PM
OK Recipes first -

Sassy! Thank you for the hand mixer idea. DH and I were thinking that it would be MORE good if it was smoooooth. I made the mocha ricotta last night. I was decadent and I put 5 actual chocolate chips instead of 5 mini chips on top - because they were what I had. I was going to put 3... because they're bigger... but DH said NO, it says 5 and I want 5!!! LOL. more about him later.

And I *was* sort of thinking to myself, "Self, if I doubled everything in this quiche recipe except the spinach, and added a little ham or smoked turkey, and filled the cups more full... it would be more eggy... and more food." So I like your modifications. I don't mind the spinach, but there is almost more spinach than egg. They're tasty enough though.

UNMODIFIED Recipes as they appear in the book... according to my memory, ha. I'm 93% sure they are accurate.

Mocha Ricotta Creme

1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 packet of Splenda (or whatever sugar substitute you like)
Stir... or blend with your hand mixer!
Top with a dusting of espresso powder and 5 mini chocolate chips
Serve cold
*my tip - since the ricotta package is close enough to 2 cups, I just make 4 at once to use up the ricotta and portion them in dessert cups.

Quiche Cups (to go, if you want)

1 10-oz package frozen, chopped spinach (thaw on your counter or microwave on high for 2.5 minutes to thaw and DRAIN)
3/4 c. egg beaters (or what have you)
3/4 c. shredded or grated reduced fat cheese
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
3 drops of hot pepper sauce
mix all together

Line 12 muffin cups with TIN liners, spray the liners with cooking spray and fill with the above mixture. Bake at 350 deg for 20 min or until a knife comes out clean. Serves 6?

Cafe976
09-03-2003, 01:22 PM
1 more recipe which is a Chinese dish that I make which seems Phase 1 appropriate:

Bang-Bang Chicken

In your wok, wok shaped fry pan or plain ol' big fry pan
saute in 1-2 Tbsp peanut oil:

1 big chicken breast cut into pieces (split breasts I use 2?)
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
1 scallion cut on the diagonal into 1" pieces

stir fry until chicken is just done. add sauce:

1/4 c. water
2 Tbsp peanut butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

let the sauce simmer for 5 min. add vegetables:

2 cups broccoli florets (1 bunch of fresh broccoli)
1 cucumber, sliced (I peel and cut legthwise, remove seeds to make canoes, then slice into 1/2 inch C-shaped pieces)

Cook until the broccoli is crisp-tender. Mmmm. Who needs rice?

My tip: I like to stir fry somewhere close to medium high heat, and this recipe is done quick when you do that, but you have to have your ingredients prepped before hand. You could turn down the heat and simmer the veggies with the lid on if that's your style - whatever works.

I guess street vendors in China sell this and attract customers by banging sticks together - hence the name.

SEMO
09-03-2003, 02:02 PM
I got my book in the mail today, now I just want to go home and read it! Excited about a diet, who whould have ever thunk! :D

Okay, sooooo your supposed to have 1/2 cup of veggies for breakfast, what are ya'll eating? Mushrooms are the only thing that has come to mind that I might be able to do that early.

Back to work. OBTW, thanks for the recipes.

Tigerlily
09-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Mowing break.
Semo, I have been having mushrooms and tomato juice in the morning. Today, I actually had some tomato wedges with my feta cheese mushroom omlet.
Back to the mowing...

Jello
09-03-2003, 05:34 PM
So Tiger, how's 'bout them frogs??? :lol:

Guess where I'm just back from? Curves!! Two new machines but I mastered them quickly. :strong: Felt so good to be back! :D

Cafe, thanks for the recipes. Makin' my mouth water here.

And speaking of that, I'm off to think about dinner. What do I want? What do I want? What do I want?

More importantly, what should I eat? What should I eat....?

Cafe976
09-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Tiger - feta cheese mushroom omlette.... Mmmmm. :yes: with sauteed onions?

Dang it, I forgot to have veggies this a.m.! DH made basted eggs (like a cross between frying and poaching?) and turkey bacon. He put a tiny bit of H&H in my coffee :devil: but we forgot to pour the V8. :no: He *did * use the smart spread instead of butter, which I consider a victory.

Anyway...

WTG, Faye on being ready for your 5K walk way early! I wasn't thinking of you as someone in TRAINING. :) I hope you're taking your anti-oxidants. When my husband was training for his first marathon, he was told that anti-oxidants are a must to help flush out the free radicals generated during dramatic increase in activity. :)

Bright - nice to 'see' you. Whatever you're doing, bottle it and sell it if you're still losing. :lol:

Sassy - congrats on your loss, too.

Annex - I will NOT call you Annie, now that I know you're a GUY! :) Wahoo! A male! Sorry, late to the party.

DNW - I'm glad to hear you're not going to dismember any critters ...this year. :s:

Jello - back atcha with the mouth watering - that veggie pizza sounds awesome. WTG on your return to Curves!!! Yay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dropping in from home, which is not like me, because I was lookin at my SoB book tonite and noticed that I made one little mistake on the amount of vanilla in the mocha ricotta. I fixed it above!! all else is correct~~~ off to experiment with the quiches, since DH polished the rest off on his way to class today! He didn't cheat today at all, btw, even tho he chose his own food, and he's very proud~~~oh yeah, me too. day two, in the bag!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

brighterdays
09-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Hi all,

Just popped in to Print recipes (Thanks, Cafe!)

Still researching the SBD---found quite a few articles to explain it. Probably will start over the weekend since 1rst few days are supposed to be the most difficult. Sounds like most of you all are doing fine so far---good to know that.

Talk to you later---time for bed. I'm beat!

Bright

sassysus
09-03-2003, 11:52 PM
Hi all!

If you go to prevention.com (message boards-south beach diet), there are lots of recipes and handy hints there-many more than the book gives.

That chicken dish sounds absolutely yummy!! I'll have to try it!

Today I cooked up pumpkin with spices and then when it was done put about 1/2 cup pumpkin and 1/4-1/2 cup ricotta in and mixed-YUMMY pumpkin pie!

Semo: I don't go by the portion amounts you mentioned, but usually I have veggies in an omelet, (using leftovers if I can), and/or a glass of V-8 juice, yesterday I had cottage cheese with cinnamon and splenda for breakfast,(not too appealing to the eyes i must say but yummy! Feta on scrambled eggs is one of my favorites!

gma2one: great job with the 5k! How is the gazelle going? Do you still enjoy it?

Hope you all have a great day!:cool:

Jello
09-04-2003, 08:14 AM
OK, you guys, knock it off with the recipes!! You're killin' those of us non-cooking types. ;) Just kidding. Maybe I'll learn something. Like how to turn on the oven??? :lol:

Meanwhile ... 182.4 this morning!!! Moving right along here. Wish I could keep up this pace! Poor little treadmill is currently buried under debris so looks like I'll have to put on clothes before I go for my walk.

Did I tell you guys about my li'l pink room drama? AFTER I got it all painted and "purty" Rich decided we should replace the windows. So OK, I found a lovely border to put around the new windows to cover the cracks and plaster spillage, etc. THEN he decides we should have put in new insulation in the walls. We got the blow-in kind. Sounded easy.

Wasn't. :(

Now we've got about 80 4-inch holes in all three rooms upstairs and dust and crud and :censored: everywhere. Oh, this house better be darn warm and toasty this winter!!!

Oh sure. And me with my all new hot flashes.....

There is good news. I get to try some all new decorating and painting techniques ... once the clean up is over ... in about ... oh weeks ... months ..... :rolleyes:

Gotta go. Off to the Home Depot for more spackle. Just what every gal wants. :queen:

Hm, but first a stop at prevention.com. Thanks Sassy. Maybe I'm not too old to learn something...

Tigerlily
09-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Howdy!
Today's weigh-in was a surprise. 194. I'm happy with that after the big blueberry blunder.
Has anyone seen the new EZ marinade? It comes in a zip lock bag! What a good idea! I know, I get excited over stupid stuff. Unfortunately, it has fructose in it. But, I'm using it.:^: Jack Daniels Mesquite. I figure by time it's grilled, I wont be getting much of the "fructose". :shrug:

Cafe, thanks for the recipes. I'm gonna have to try the bang bang and I have a large container of ricotta ready to go. :D

Semo, did you get to start reading your book?

Jello, back to curves! That's great. Now that my kids are in school full time, I should check out curves. I'm just not sure about driving to town for it this winter. Country roads...

HEY! to everyone else! I'm off to fix breakfast.:T

SEMO
09-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Good Morning.......... one more day until the weekend.....but who's counting!

Day four of South Beach - back to 168.0 didn't cheat, probably the peanuts I ate late last night. Made the quiche last night, a little too much spinach for me and I forgot to add salt and pepper, but still pretty good, had two for breakfast.

Faye, WTG Girl, PM me info and I'll make a donation for your run.

DNW, how's the back? Glad that you don't have to think about the kitty thing, for now anyway.

We went to the hospital last night so just barely started reading the SoBeach book before I got to sleepy. Can't wait to get out of Phase I, only 10 more days. I'm not really expecting a huge loss since I've sort of been doing Phase II type eating with the SugarBusters.

Boss, just gave me a BIG OLD LIST of things to do, this always happens when he goes to those sales meetings............ Back later.

Cafe976
09-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Good morning! Going to be a busy day here at the office but I have my priorities straight. ;)

Sassy - thanks for the tip, I will go and check out that place when I get a minute. I love hearing about what the rest of you are eating, gives me ideas. How exactly do you do this thing with pumpkin and can I do it on Ph 1 or do I have to wait? Sounds nummy!

Bright - for me the hard part is having my meal plan ready to execute whether I'm tired or not, and having the right stuff in the right place at the right time so I don't get too hungry. This diet is a lot like the Zone to me - the even energy level all day is a great feeling - makes me stronger to resist temptation.

[I really think I would have succeeded on the Zone and never looked back if there wasn't so MUCH exactitude to it. :dizzy: ]

Jello - the second I read blow insulation I started to giggle. :lol: Sorry, not funny when it's you and you're trying to HEAL, doggone it. Hopefully, you can get the chaos contained before you go back to work.

Tiger - I'll be grilling tonite!

OK time to check posts and get the heck to work.

Edited to add: SEMO, it was the same with me. I was so excited to get that darn book and it took me several days before I could sit and really read. I doubled the egg beaters on my latest batch of quiches and they turned out good. Still pretty spinachy, but maybe some ham would help balance that. Hospital stuff is hard, hope you're getting enough sleep. {hugs}

QuilterInVA
09-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Sassyus - I adore the ricotta and I thought I'd hate it. I got the fat free - only 40 calories for 1/4 cup. Made the mocha with cocoa, vanilla, and a bit of real coffee. Also love the lemon and lime.

I really like SoB - so much I actually bought the book and read it from cover to cover. I'm down 7 pounds in 10 days and have lost 2 inches from my waist/tummy area - carb bloat I guess.

I never thought I could give up carbs and it is so easy. The other morning for breakfast I made cottage cheese with 1/2 cup diced celery and 1/2 ounce of chopped walnuts - I was surprised how good it tasted. I don't even miss my cereal but I may try a bit of Fiber One - helps the internals pass a little faster.

I made the quiches, too, but only made 6 from the batch. Easy to adapt to other seasonings and veggies.

For lunch, I roll up tuna salad or turkey breast, a bit of cheese, and mustard in Boston Lettuce Leaves. I've also made my BLT without bread the same way using Morningstar Farms Bacon.

Finally out of the mess at work and now tackling the insurance company. The lightening did $50,000 damage in all.

Glad to see all of you doing so well.

Jello
09-04-2003, 05:03 PM
I'm wearin' my "little" jeans!!!! The washed a hundred times ones that I haven't been able to get into!!!

Granted, they're a bit tight. And they're not going to stay on too long because they press against my incision site....

.... but still..... :D

Tigerlily
09-04-2003, 06:43 PM
:cb: Go Jello! ....so, after reading your post I have to go try on jeans. I have a pair that my little sister gave me. She wore them post pregnancy.:dz: I know they wont fit me right now...but maybe by the holidays. :chin:

The boys have football practice 5 to 7. It's really mess'n up my supper time. I'm starved, but try'n to wait for them to get home. :hun: The dogs leg is starting to look like a big 'ole chicken thigh. :p

Jello
09-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Well, after a day of pasta and entirely too large portions, I'm at 183.4 - up a pound from yesterday. Bummmer. But today's a new day. Maybe those tight jeans packed me in real good or something??? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm going to Curves this morning and have to get weighed and measured. I'm just looking at it as a new start. :cool:

Tiger, how were your jeans? More importantly, is the dog OK!?!? :eek:

One of the things I did while I was recuperating was write letters (you know, the snail mail kind) to some people I hadn't heard from in a while - a girl I knew in college, one I used to work with about 15 years ago, etc. I've heard from 3 or 4 people so far that I haven't seen in a very long time. We're all talking about the possibility of getting together "soon". Me, I'm thinking I should keep in touch - :write: and :callme: - but not meet face to face for a little while. That'll give me some incentive, don't you think? Oh the games I play....

Well, I'm off to dress and head to Curves. Then it's off to the grocery store armed with the recipes Cafe provided. :T Talk to you guys later.

gma22
09-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Everyone is doing great! Sounds like South Beach is the hit of the season here!

SEMO: If and when I get my info I will let you know. I have never done this and dd is handling everything so who knows!

I am so excited. Jack wants so badly to go to the Cubs convention some year. It is 3 days in January and you can go to symposiums and seminars, meet players and get autographs that kind of stuff. Tickets are only $40 and go to Cubs Care charity for children. DD is getting him tickets for his Christmas present for he and I to go and I am booking a hotel downtown. The event is at the Hilton and you can get tickets now if you book there, but the hotel is $265 a NIGHT! I don't think so! We are staying a mile down the road at a Red Roof Inn in a suite for $99 and I can take Fortune with us! If the weather is not bad (like it won't be in January in Chicago!) we will walk now that I have found I have legs that can do that! :lol: If is is bad it is a 2 mile taxi ride!

Has anyone tried the Slimfast snack bars. Man they are great if you need a candy bar fix. Low in calories and fat too! I have tried the one that is like a butterfingers and the one that is carmel and crispies. I am going to get them for snacks to travel to Chicago the end of the month. Only three more weeks! Man I hope the Cubs can hold on and overtake the Astros !

Those quiches sound yummy and you could even stick meat in there if you want. I have found ff deli ham that is like 25 cal a slice and you could probably get three quiches out of one slice. I am going to HAVE to try those!

Thanks for the recipes cafe! I am going to include them in my recipe section of my website!

Have a freaky Friday ladies and Annex!

Faye

Tigerlily
09-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Happy Dance for Friday!:dance:
Jello, the jeans were "ok". The 16's...they fit, but I would like them to be looser. I like my jeans loose. And, I actually crammed my butt into the 12's my sister gave me. I couldn't walk, but I was in 'em. :p
I had a little bit of pasta last night too. :rollpin: I fixed steak on the grill, mushrooms and a pasta side dish for the crew. I was SOOO hungry by time they got home from practice...that's my only defense.
Weigh-in today~193.5j
Down 6lbs!

SEMO
09-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Goooooodddddddd Morning!! It's Friday, it's Friday...:cb: :dance: :cp: For a short 4 day week, it's been long for me.

9/5/03 SoB day five - wt 167.2 (knew it was the peanuts! :yes: )

I made chili last night and it was pretty good. I was looking at the prevention site yesterday and there were several recipes for chili, and you know how you get to thinking and then I was hungry for it. Didn't really follow a recipe just mixed together: x-tra lean G.chuck, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped onion & green pepper, can of black beans and kidney beans (drained and rinsed) boullion cubes (4 or 5) celery, water and seasoned with chili, onion, oregano, garlic powders, salt & pepper to taste. Guess what I'm having for lunch! :hun:

You all are all out bright an early this morning! Started back exercising and so far I haven't missed a day. Everyone sounds so positive and cheery, love it.

It's beautiful here in Missouri, it was 62 degrees on my way to work and it's just going to be a beautiful day. I'm really thinking about skipping out at noon. ;)

Better get busy, everyone have a great day and weekend.

QuilterInVA
09-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Happy weekend to all! SoB must be working, I was able to get into a pair of pants I couldn't wear before and they are a little loose even. Maybe I'll get into my winter clothes after all!

Beautiful day without much humidity and cooler temperatures - supposed to last for several days. Wonder if we'll get anything from Fabian? We had a bad lightning storm last night -- I was worried about the darn computer system. I don't think I could go through that again.

Going to Sully Plantation in Chantilly, VA Sunday for a big quilt show (about 3 hours from here). Stopping at the quilt shop in Occoquon in case there is something we need to buy after this huge show...okay we just have to hit every shop on our route.

Cafe976
09-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Could anything sound more delicious than wearing smaller pants and quilting in the fall?? Congrats to those with pants success. I was stoked about my jeans too... until I washed them again. :shrug: Still, just give me a couple of weeks on the SBD.

See, I'm not even calling it the SoB diet anymore. But gimme a coupla weeks. :lol: (Can you believe Cafe still thinks that joke is funny?!)

Quilter, I'm only on day 4 but I gotta say I LOVE the SBD too. I feel kinda silly, but it's good.

Faye - I like the sound of all the trip planning you're doing. I was in a nice blizzard in Chicago in January once. Made everything look so fresh and clean, it was fun. It was fun to roam around in all that snow, too, and good exercise. Different perspective when you're not going about the daily grind in the stuff.

SEMO - Chili!! You said the magic word. But I'm gasping now as I realize that, I think there is corn flour in Carol Shelby's spice mix which I love. I'll work around that. If Carol can do it, I can do it. You have really got me going! I love to add a little fresh cilantro and a lil squeeze of lime at the very very end. MMMM. Chili.

Jello, congrats again on the little jeans. Double happy Friday Dance for Jello.

OK, outdoor film fest Saturday night. A friend does this annually for about 50 people... I'm bringing my own food darn it. After all, I can't have popcorn anyway and with my mocha ricotta creme I am proof against the passing out of the candy bars. I can do it!

BTW, Malt Shop last week WAS a train wreck. Attendance at the study group was sparse and everyone was tired, so DH and I were among the few that went... and we did have ice cream. We both woke up with sugar hangovers and said "never again."

But that was BEFORE the SBD! I'm looking forward to a good, on plan weekend. Saturday afternoon I will plan next weeks menus. That seems to be the key for me.

Jello
09-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Saturday morning at 182.8. Reprieve!!! :cb:

It's going to be a busy day homewrecking .... uh, homeworking ... uh, well you know. I'm counting that as plenty of exercise!

Went to Curves yesterday but there was only one person working and she was measuring someone and had two people waiting for interviews so I just worked out and left. Have to get weighed and measured on Monday. Another reprieve!

Faye!! By Cubs, you mean .... Chicago Cubs!?!?! Oooh, I wanna go! Been a big Cubbies fan for years. Go Sammy! I believe in you! I knew you were innocent! :lol:

Semo, recipe sounds good. And when the weather starts to get cooler, it's a great time of year for chili. :T

I'm off. Still cleaning up that insulation! It's a real SoB!!

(Cafe, that was just for you. ;) )

Later.

Cafe976
09-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Hee hee hee; Jello; ha. {{hugs}}

Keeping strong on Day 5. Weighed in today at 215.5 which is down 3 pounds from where I've been hovering on good days. [I saw something even higher last weekend but Aunt Flo came to town on Wednesday so I was attributing it to that.] So I'm pretty stoked.

But I can't get too stoked because this is a project to take me through the winter. I'm kind of excited about this long-term thinking. Its making the idea of winter more fun. The colder it gets, the winter clothes will be like my cocoon.

That being said, it's beautiful late summer weather outside, almost hot even. I'm going to put on some capris and go for a walk. :hyper:

P.S. being off the corn, the recently tortuous first days of my cycle have been a breeze. Guess that was it all right.

Have fun homewrecking, there, Jello! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

DNW
09-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Well in about 3 hours I will be on my way to Seattle, WA. Going to see the sights and and my nieces. BUT...I have 80 pages of Chemistry to read plus homework problems so don't be jealous. I have about 2-3 hours of studying to do each day.

Jello: 182.8, well if I were that weight now I would be so happy, but I guess if anyone is not as heavy as me I always want to be their weight!!!...and you sound like you are back to your old self. Boy your house is going to look so great when your done.

Semo: I use the Carol Shelby chili mix and when I throw in chopped tomatos it thickens by itself. Also I have been using turkey because it has more flavor than the beef...but that's just me. It's not that it has a turkey taste...it's just not so bland.

Quilter: You're inspiring me again!!!! And do i wish I had the time to take up quilting. I love quilts and watch the quilt TV shows when I can.

Faye: You go girl!! A 5K is a real accomplishment!

Cafe: I know what you mean about Zone diet and "exactitude. It is a great plan but right now reminds me too much of my exacting Chemistry class.

Sassysus and Brighter: As usual you both have great suggestions and brighten the thread whenever I read it.

Anyway the most amusing thing about this vacation is that the weather in Seattle has been beautiful for the past 4-5 months and today is the first of about 7 days of straight rain to come.

Conversely today is the first beautiful day we have had in NJ and we are due for sunny, beautiful and cool weather until next weekend when I come home. Go Figure!!!!

Talk yo you all next week! :grouphug:

brighterdays
09-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Hey all,

Research done....day 1 South Beach Diet and it is going well! Much better than the high fat of Atkins!

We have sunshine and football games starting----I love fall weather! Need to buy some more bright mums for my porch--now that's what I call gorgeous!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend---no time for shout-outs but here's wishing everyone a safe journey whereever you are...

:cheers:

Bright

Jello
09-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Sunday morning and Jello's grumbling at 183.4. :mad: Worst part is I don't know why it's up again. :?: Can't even blame PMS anymore. :shrug: Oh well, it's another day.

And, as Cafe pointed out, it's another season!! Cafe, what'd you come up with for enjoying the cooler weather? I'm with you in that I've decided that this year, instead of coming home and "tucking myself in" for the evening, I've got to find things to do even if it's cold and dark outside. And I need winter exercising that extends beyond the occasional shovelling of snow.

DNW, I guess you're probably gone already but hope you're having a great trip. Use the travel time to study and then go out and play!!! :dancer:

Well, guys, gotta run. Rich has sworn that things will be straightened up enough by the end of the weekend so that I can actually get to my dresser drawers, closets and makeup table before I have to go back to reality (job :p) on Tuesday.

The end is near.

gma22
09-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Good Morning girlies! We are still girls, huh? I have decided to try and think of turning 50 as being closer to Zero than to 100!:lol:

DNW: Hope you have a great time in Seattle. Never been there, but dh has and loved it.

Jello: I was a total grump all weekend because I decided to repaint the kitchen so everything was in a jumble and I CAN'T STAND messes. DH laughed and shook his head. He asked me what was wrong with me and I told him. He said, "Well, you shouldn't have painted then." I know, but it needed touching up and I have been planning on it....Everything is back in place, but now that the cat walked on my wet countertop and put paw prints on my white tile, I will be on my hands and knees with the scrubber today I guess. Hope you have a beautiful home AND one that is back in order soon! AND HONEY... yes I mean the one and only Chicago Cubs! Dh and I are HUGE fans! THEY ARE IN FIRST PLACE AS OF LAST NIGHTS LOSS BY THE ASTROS! WHOOOPEEEEEE! They are going to give me a birthday present of sealing the pennent win I just know it! (How'd you like the brouhaha with the suspensions etc. I got really mad at the fact that NO one holds the umpires accountable for anything and that from what I understand, any ejections the umpires write a report about and whomever in MLB is responsible for issuing punishment reads IT and makes a decision about suspensions and doesn't ALWAYS look at the tape! Sounds pretty shifty to me against players and coaches)

Tig: I am still about 2 inches shy of getting my butt into a pair of jeans hanging brand new in my closet for 5 years, but sooner or later. You go girl and wear those little ones!

Cafe: A blizzard in Chicago? Man, those things are wicked with the wind blowing off the lake, but the real ugly ones come on the other side of the lake where we lived in Indiana, when the winter wind and moisture passes over the lake, the people on the other side get dumped on in feet not inches. Have had that experience more than once, Huh TIG? It is beautiful though as long as you are not commuting or walking in the slush etc trying to get to work but just enjoying it all.

Well, I need to kick butt and get some stuff done this AM.

Faye

SEMO
09-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Good Morning to all! Day 8 of SoB and weighed in at 166.6 was at 166.2 on Saturday. Don't know why it was up because I have been CHEAT FREE for the entire time. Okay, just a little vent! heehee

DNW, hope that you are having a ball, only a tad bit jealous and not of the studying! Don't know if my brain could do it any more.

Faye, 50 ain't fatal......... hitting 30 was far worse for me that 50.

Bright, I sure have been enjoying this great weather, even took a walk without being attacked by mosquitoes.

Jello, enjoy the day, tomorrow it will be back to the grind, :( I'm sure all the other employees will be glad that you are back.

Cafe, WTG, three down. I think that we have all found the perfect healthy eating plan. I did manage to read the entire book this weekend.

Quilter, how was the quilt show and what all did you buy? I told DH that I'm going to start back sewing, wasting too much time in front of the TV.

Sassy, how are things with you, kids back in school and you back to work? Any more recipes? I'm going grocery shopping tonight to make one of the recipes you posted. I did cut up cucumbers and onion and put them in vinegar and water with salt, pepper and splenda. Pretty good.

Tig, hope you are getting some of this wonderful weather, if you aren't I'm not sending it on just yet.

Huntress, we're missing you gal.

Gotta run back later.

Cafe976
09-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Monday Funday! (where's Tig with her newfound freedom?)

Well, today is Day 7 on the SBD for me but it feels like longer? I'm not missing anything, I feel so good. Blood sugar must have been more outa whack than I thought, is all I can figure. But... I'm just happy.

Plus, good news on the scale this morning - 214, which is down another 1.5. I know this is only the crazy induction weeks, but I'm loving it.

Jello - you can't let yourself get discouraged! This is just a little blip on the radar. Keep working hard, you'll succeed. How's the home-un-wrecking going? Can you open that dresser yet?

As far as colder weather goes... Fall is a season that just draws me out of doors to stroll along, enjoy the breeze, and later to put on sweaters and crunch leaves. It's not hardcore exercise, but it's exercise for the soul. I ask you: What is not to love about crunching leaves??!

When true winter arrives, I will probably have to hit the gym. I have ideas about taking up cross-country skiing again, but the last few winters we have not had all that much snow. I'm also wanting some yoga tapes to keep the creaky winter body flexible and springy. But I want to be outside more. Maybe what I really need is a good sled! Now that's my kind of exercise. Another idea is to bundle up and get outside on my lunch hour when the sun is up.

Guess I need more ideas too, lol.

DNW - I hope you thoroughly enjoy your trip to Seattle! My sis lives not too far from there. She was joking that with as little rain as they've had this year they should rename the state California. But they'll get theirs, hopefully it's light the week you're there.

You may be on to something with the Zone/chemistry thing. I turned my mom and dad on to the zone diet quite some time ago. They liked it, esp. my dad who lost 4 inches around his waist. My mom didn't read the book so I don't think she ever had full buy-in but participated to some extent. So I was talking to them yesterday about the SBD because my mom's trig's are still high. And I said, it's a lot like the zone but not so much exactitude, counting trying to get just the right ratios all the time. And my dad, who is a PhD chemist, halfway-jokingly says, "But that's what I LIKE so much about it." :lol: what a nut. Anyway, this time I gave the book specifically to my mom, cause now I know she needs to read it herself.

Anyhow, I keep getting sidetracked so I need to hurry up and finish this post already!

Faye, you are so right about enjoying snow vs. grinding through the routine + snow. Hope your orderly house is happy again now. =)

Bright - hope it's going good for you on... Day 3?

SEMO - It couldn't be a PMS thing, could it? Don't worry, it will drop. BTW I went out and stocked up on tomatoes with chiles and kidney beans to make chili this week. Carroll Shelby (he's a man!! :o just found out this weekend.) *does* have some corn flour in the spice packet too. I was going to run with it anyway but dad gave me a different chili spice blend recipe. I'll try it first before I post it, LOL.

OK I gotta cruise.. Hope you're all doing great today!

Tigerlily
09-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Good Morning.
What a weekend. Burger King and Taco Bell. Weigh-in up at 195. :cry: That's all folks, I'm gonna go cry now...
No, I wont do that.
Weekend are always hard, but this one was the worst. It all started when DH burned himself lighting a fire with gas. :doh:
We spent Saturday evening in the ER...picked up Buger King on the way home. Then Sunday, since it hurt DH to be out in the sun, I had to take the boys to a football event....picked up Taco Bell on the way home. (DH is gonna be fine) I need to work on my "off schedule stress eating plan". :^:

Weather is beautiful here too. I'm gonna get some house cleaning done so I can get outside for some yard work. I'm feeling sluggish. Fat food overdose!

QuilterInVA
09-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, this weekend was not the best eating-wise, but I'm back on track. I had my once a year treat of a funnel cake at the Quilt Show. It was a gorgeous weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Bough some new patterns and a couple of pieces of fabric. Did really well since I wanted it all and don't have room at home for much more!

Work seems to be back to normal except for the argument with the insurance company.

Got a 10% increase in salary so I'm happy with that.

Going walking at lunch time.

SEMO
09-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Just a quick note to tell you the DS's, Girlfriend's Mother just passed away. She had requested that everything be removed (beathing tubes, etc) because she was ready to go. I know she was in a lot of pain, so sad.

Jello
09-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi all! Weighed in and "measured in" at Curves this morning. Not good. :cry: All the numbers were up including weight, fat percentage, thighs, hips, etc. But the very nice lady even wrote "Don't be discouraged" on my printout. I'm kinda just getting started again. :^: And I got a great Curves Tshirt!

Notice I haven't posted my weight for the day..... Tiger, you're not the only one who had a bad weekend. I'm trying not to cry myself. Up yet another 0.6 at 184.0. Going in the wrong direction! :mad:

Almost glad to be going back to work tomorrow. ALMOST!!! Won't have time to sit around and eat. Sadly, won't have time to bum around and shop all day like today. ;) Didn't buy much but had a great time :hat: ....in my final hours.

Cafe, nope, can't open the dresser drawer yet ... but I can see it!!! :lol: That's a start. Good thing too. Sooner or later, I'll have to change the underwear I've been wearing for the past month or so! :fr:

Semo, yeah, I think some of the other employees will be happy I'm back. Best part is the old *itch is on vacation this week!!! :dancer:

I gotta go. I promised Rich I'd do a couple things around here before he got home. It's almost 5. Guess I'd better get started.

Or not.....

Edited to add - Semo, I'm sorry for your loss. Her mom is in my prayers. She's in a better place now.

Cafe976
09-08-2003, 05:01 PM
SEMO - Sorry to hear the sad news. Still, it was all her wishes which had to be respected. Brave lady there. Hang in there and give yourself extra hugs from us.

And Tig - Man, it is not your DH's year, is it? Poor guy. I'm glad it wasn't so serious that they kept him in the hospital or anything. It's practically a cliche, but vitamin E, pop the caps and smear it on.

Quilter - Congrats on the $$! Like I said before, worth every pretty penny. Maybe your boss is pretty good after all. I will stop blaming him for the lightning now.

Me - I'm hanging in. My female boss must have read my mind she asked me what I thought of SugarBusters. I don't talk about dieting at work, too personal. So it was funny, I confided in her that I'm on the SBD. We had a nice little chat about salad dressing. Why do I feel kind of silly? Now I have to go do something NOT DIET RELATED. :blah:

Cafe - avoiding obsession, or trying.

Edited to add: Jello, underwear! LOL! Maybe they will be glad to see you at work, maybe they WON'T if you don't get to that dresser! :s: Here's to new beginnings. :cheers:

gma22
09-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Jello: When you are able to detach yourself from your underwear, leaving it for itchypoo on her chair as a return from vacation present!

Tig: Give you hubby a big ole kiss for all of us to make him feel better!

For all of you downers regarding your weight gains or at least no losses. CHIN UP! You guys are doing great and you will get there in no time. Do not let one bad report spoil it for you! YOU CAN DO THIS!

Semo: I am so very sorry for you ds's girlfriend's family. Please share this with them on my behalf. http://view.greetings.yahoo.com/greet/view?BJDE6686Z3VHR

Talk to you later ladies!

Faye

lizabeth
09-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Hi all.

I've been lurking around for awhile and you seem like a great bunch. Hope you don't mind me joining in.

I started YogaFit tonight and found out that I ain't (fit that is). Tommorrow, DH may have to roll me out of bed... As tired as I am, I'm bound to be sore. But I'm going back!

This makes my first week of WW after a long hiatus. If I added up all the pounds I've lost over my lifetime, I would disappear! I hope to uncover the holy grail of keeping it off this time.

Anyway, nice to meet all of you.

QuilterInVA
09-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Lizabeth, welcome to the Ghost Ladies - we'd all disappear with you, I'm sure.

Semo, I'm sorry about the mother's death but it is a far better pain-free place that she is in. It's just so hard for those left behind but we will see them again!

Down to 167 today - going slower now but that's okay - 12 more pounds to go.

I guess I never told y'all about our buildings at work being build on an Indian burial ground - at least I'm sure we are if no one has made a study. We are 2 miles from the original settlement at Jamestown (1607 - we beat those Pilgrims!) and cleared woods to build here. We have the worst luck and strangest things happen of any place around here so I always blame it on the Indians being upset with us taking their burial ground.

I'm taking Friday off - he said take a few days whenever so this Friday, and 3 days in October sound good to me. 3 of my quilting friends and I are going to Nags head for our own private quilting retreat. My friends aunt owns a house on the beach and said we could use it anytime. Sounds like fun to me...no men! No cooking to speak of ... got to be careful or I'll win the free 5 pounds on my hips!

Jello, sorry about having to go back to work. Take it easy!

Hello to everyone else.

gma22
09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Morning ladies! Hope all is bright with you!

Liz: Great to have you here! These ladies are a hoot!

I forgot to tell you that I entered a poetry contest. It could be any style and any subject but no longer than 20 lines. I chose an appropriate topic and include it below. Hopefully the Bard is not TOO ashamed of my entry! :lol: I had fun creating it anyway. I take all criticism but hope it provides at least a little chuckle for your day!

Blissful Ignorance

This fat on me is like an armor coat,
It smothers me exactly like a hug,
Surrounding me just like a castle moat,
And choking me just like a grave fresh dug.

Oh not to have these rolls and rolls of mass,
And freedom from constraints it holds on me,
If ever to be thin of breast and ***,
Would certainly provide for me much glee.

But only now the truth to me has come,
To rid myself of such a glob as this,
Means exercise and food reduced by some,
To **** with that I'll just die in fat bliss!

Hope you all have a great day!

Faye

Cafe976
09-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Faye - I like the way you captured conflicting emotion in your poem. I'm giving it a big thumbs up.

Quilter - Nag's head, no men, autumn; sounds enchanting. You're so close to your goal! Rock on sister.

Lizabeth - Welcome! We're a friendly bunch, dive right in. :)

Just a quick halloo before I get to work on projects here.

I broiled some salmon fillets last night... Not sure if it was one of you ladies that inspired me, or if I read somewhere, or the thought just came naturally (ha) but I wanted to share... I mixed about 1.5 Tbsp Tamari Sauce (basically stronger soy sauce) and 1.5 Tbsp Canola Oil with 2 packets of Splenda... whirred with the hand mixer and spread it over the filets before broiling. It was a little like teriyaki and turned out wonderfully.

Day 8 today...

~Cafe

lizabeth
09-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Morning All!

Not as sore from yoga as I feared, just a little "tight" and REALLY TALL;>). Got in an hour of walking this morning and I'm really feeling quite good. It is amazing how taking care of myself makes me feel better about everything.

Can't find a job! Added another reject letter to the pile yesterday... think I'm going to wallpaper my bathroom with them. I'm going to start sending out surveys... check one: too old, too fat, to ugly, over qualified, under qualified, we just didn't like you.. Oh well, I found the perfect man, now I need the perfect job.

Susan: A beach retreat with no men, no cooking and no kids screaming... sounds like heaven to me

Faye: If I ever be thin, let me keep breasts and ***... take away the spare tire(s) and triple chins and leave me my ***-sets!

Cafe: I have tried and tried to like salmon. My friend told me I must be cooking it wrong. I'll try your way and if it doesn't taste good, I will have to assume I just don't like salmon.

Later.

Jello
09-09-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm back at work!!! Auugggghhhhh!!!!!!!! :mad: Me hates it! Me wants ta go back home and play!!!! :snooty: Humph!

Lizabeth, welcome. We're a good "bunch" ... a little "sour" some of the time but we don't usually "w(h)ine"....

Oh, I'm weird today. :dizzy: Must be the smell of toner in the air. At least I THINK that's what that smell is. :?:

Annnnyway......

This is the first chance I've had to stick my head in here today. Work! Bleah. Who needs it?

Well, guess I do, eh? BTW Lizabeth, what's that strange term you used? "Perfect job"???? Ranks up there with Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and fat free chocolate!

Have stuff to say to all of you but no time! Boss is lurking and I can't hide under this pile of paperwork much longer. Gotta come up for air ... and lunch! Starving today! :hun: Must be all this working.

Not likin' it one little bit,
Jello

P.S. Weight still at 184 - same as yesterday. :shrug:

QuilterInVA
09-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Jello, sorry you're having to work like the rest of us slaves to men. My boss is going to Dallas on business tomorrow and decided he needed a PowerPoint Presentation to take along - only 30 slides, plenty of pictures, music, the whole 9 yards. Shouldn't take me more than 15 minutes do you think? I've managed to get the words onto the slides and the pictures so he's looking at that. Now to coordinate music and then get the whole thing onto his laptop. The sad thing is, if he gets there and it requires anything more than clicking on the PP icon, he's totally lost and it won't get used ... but we're printed 20 sets and binding for him to take to them in case it doesn't work...does that tell you anything? I'm surprised he isn't taking one of the men with him to do it for him.

Lisabeth, good luck with the job search. If you are over 40, remind them they get ECO (or whatever the letters are) credit for being a woman and over 40 - now if you are American Indian or Black, they can get 3 credits with just your little body. I was lucky, my boss hired me at 51 and I'm fat and ugly and have red hair. Guess I had some talents he needed! Seriously, it's no fun but perserve, somewhere there is someone who will hire you and overwork you, too!

Faye, loved the poem...hope you win.

Cafe - I'm going to try your salmon recipe. I love fish. Guess that goes back to the 5 fish meals per week at WW in the 70s.

Okay, lunch time is now offically over so I can't play anymore.

Jello
09-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Quilter, you're right. My last post did sound a bit whiny. Sorry. :sorry: I knew this day had to come. But I'd gotten so very spoiled. Sigh.

That stuff about your building sounds cool. I love that kind of stuff. When I was in college, one of the buildings had a ghost, supposedly someone who'd committed suicide there years before ... or so the story goes. :yikes: It was scary at times (like those late night study sessions there) but really interesting. Anyway, have a great trip. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Faye, loved the poem. And yes, it did provide a chuckle or two from me. :lol: Wish I was one of the judges. You'd win!! :encore:

Well, morning weigh-in showed exactly 184 AGAIN! :mad: And I was so good yesterday. :angel: Hoping for all my good deeds to kick in today.

Talk to you all later!

Cafe976
09-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Jello - I'm feeling your pain with the scale. Mine actually had the nerve to eke back up a pound. That is WRONG because I have been a good lil girl. Now this is they say weigh in once a week. OTOH, I am motivated with a vengance! :rollpin: So maybe scale hopping isn't so bad.

BTW, if I went back to work after however many weeks you'd hear more whining than that. I think you're entitled, but only for a couple of days. ;)

Quilter - Sounds like one of my last-minute powerpoint days. Although, thank goodness my guys don't use the music. Guess bosses are universal.

Hey Lizabeth, if I had known that yoga would make me taller... :)

Day 9 - the bad scale trip dampened my zeal just a little. But I'm still strong. I told my DH this morning - this weekend is going to be hard, that 12-14 day hump is difficult for me to cross.

Went to a work event last night at a bar. The chafing dishes could not sway me. I had some hunks of sausage with course-ground mustard. And diet coke. I feel pretty good about that. Considering it was open bar and I did not indulge in free martinis, not to mention the other edibles - or even good old Irish beer.

And then since I did NOT have booze on my breath, I left a little early and went striaght to worship. By the time I got home, I knew I should eat a proper supper but I was too tired, so I had celery stalks stuffed with a little tuna salad.

OK, work is calling- I'm going to check posts and toddle off.

lizabeth
09-10-2003, 12:30 PM
It's Tuesday. Every muscle in my body aches. I woke up at 3am to eat asprin. I thought it would be the yoga that would bring me to my knees... but no. It was water aerobics! A sneaky, utterly delightful romp in the pool with some really FUN ladies. (How could this possibly be exercise, I asked myself?)

My abs hurt when I just THINK about them! Went for a walk with my track buddies this morning anyway... feeling better now.

Susan: OMG Red hair too??? Oh well. Yes, over 40, over 45... grandmother and everthing. My mind still thinks I'm 20 (although my body knows better.) I get startled every time I look in the mirror... what is my mother doing in my bathroom mirror??? Thanks for the encouragement.

After being in the pool for an hour, I get home famished and what is sitting on the top of the microwave??? Little Debbie cakes!! DH bought them for his lunch box. I passed the up and prepared a lowfat omelet and drank a gallon of water. When I updated my journal, I was 3 points shy of my daily allotment. Guess you all know what I did...

Until tommorrow.

Tigerlily
09-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi All! Just pop'n in real quick. Busy week.
Lizabeth, I read your post of the dr phil thread...very well put.

:wave:

SEMO
09-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Just a quick hello for now and a big Welcome for Lizabeth. Still feeling very sad and not really in the mood to visit right now. Not only the funeral but remembering today's anniversary. Talk to ya'll real soon. XO Semo

Cafe976
09-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Morning everyone!

Oh, I cheated last night. I had dinner with my mom and dad and some old friends of the family - a duty dinner - and I ate small portions of the few things I wasn't supposed to have. The thing was, I couldn't face the evening without allowing myself 1/2 a glass of wine - and yet the wine weakend my resolve.

Anyway - I was controlled about it, at least, and I'm back on the wagon this morning without hesitation. The thing about cheating is, it discourages me because I think I just blew it and I'll never lose weight. So I'm putting it behind me because it's a new day and I WILL succeed in finishing my winter project.

And the good news is, I made it through the evening with good manners and made people feel good even though I'm tired and am DYING for some time alone. (it's been a busy week!)

Hmmm, that sounds kind of whiny and selfish. And yet, looking at it: putting obligations/demands and needs of others ahead of my need for a little personal space and time weakens my resolve to stick to an eating plan. I have to admit that. Sooo, selfish or not, I guess it's important for me to schedule some time for myself in between all these different command performances.

That sounds weird though, how could putting other people first make me fat? needs more thought I guess.

Cafe, puzzled, but maybe on to something? Why is it hard to figure out my personal motivators? :dizzy:

QuilterInVA
09-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi ladies, I'm off for a long weekend in another 30 minutes. Hope you all have a great weekend!

brighterdays
09-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Hi All,

Semo: my condolences---brave lady...has to be in a better place.

Cafe: Day 6 and doing pretty well---had kinda a dizzy spell today but I think I ate too little at lunch and then tried to squeeze in some clearance shopping too quickly. Felt better after eating a bit more.

Weight staying the same at 178 but I think I have a fairly high sodium intake with this program. Does it mention anything about reducing the salt in the book? I've been eating the grilled salmon by Gortons--the lemon pepper one and some veggies at lunch. Tonight I fixed the recipe from www.diettalk.com ---Portobello Pizza. Excellent if you like mushrooms, mozarella cheese, tomatoes, and some italian spices!! I made the Roasted eggplant also but I think I'm going to add tomatoes (fresh roasted/grilled) and moz cheese to that receipe to make a full entree and spice up the taste--it's a little dry even with the olive oil.

Jello: Only one more day to go til the weekend....you can make it....

DNW: Hope trip goes well....

Faye: Cute poem---lots of potential there! Having a problem with my puppy's chewing and scratching. Bought some puppy spray and hoping it will curb some chewing of furniture pieces! All shoes have to remain in the highest position possible at this time or they are attacked by the small creature!!! Baths are fun, though..... House breaking is good most days but sucked again today....no rhyme or reason....

Lizabeth: Welcome! These guys even let me get away with going AWOL alot on here... You sound very motivated with your exercise---could you send a little of that my way???? :^:

Tiger: your poor hubby! Hope he's feeling better. I'm a stress eater too unless it's big time crisis time and then I'm too upset to eat....go figure! Lost 40# in 2-3 months with my last divorce and gained it all back moving to a small town with no social life!

Huntress: where are you girl?

Gotta run....need to see what small teeth have gotten into...just like a toddler...have to watch where and what she's doing! I think I'm going backwards with this raising kids thing!

Take care and have a great weekend,

Bright :sunny:

Tigerlily
09-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Good Morning!
Bright, get a Kong dog toy. They are made to put a treat inside. We put dog biscuits and peanutbutter inside. It keeps the dog busy for a long time and helps with the destructive chewing. The vet told us when our dog was a pup...if it's on the floor...it's a dog toy. :p

Jello, how was your first week back to work? Was your stuff all a mess? Had someone been sitting in your desk and eating your poridge?

Friday night football today. If I can get out of going :s: , I plan to watch Dr Phils show. Maybe he'll flip my switch. I've been down since the Burger king/Taco Bell weekend. I am disappointed Dr Phil is "selling the *bleep* out of weightloss...but I'm hoping to watch anyway.

:df:

Jello
09-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Tiger, LOL!! Yes, and someone's been sleeping at my desk. :lol: Did I tell you guys about the 70 page report that my boss asked "one of the girls" (his exact words) to start typing last week? I got it yesterday and after trying to figure out her horrible typing job (grammar, type-o's, misspellings, etc.) I threw hers out, took his original and started from scratch. Still finished in record time. He was impressed. :D

And how about this? He and I were here late last night, well only until about 5:45 or so but still. Anyway, he commented about how I always seemed to be in before him in the morning and I told him that I sometimes get in around 7:30 just to get some stuff done in peace and quiet. (I don't have to start until 8:30.) So he asked if I wanted to work extra hours in the morning for overtime. Why sure! I wouldn't have to get up or come in any earlier but still get paid more. :high: Hey, I can live with this.

... of course, he doesn't have to know that I spend lots of that time here with you guys, does he? :s:

Brighter, like Tiger suggested, get the puppy stuff that he IS allowed to chew. Puppies chew, it's just what they do. The trick is training him to chew the proper things. That's usually tougher than house-breaking. BTW, that pizza sounds heavenly!! :T And I just bought portobellos too!

Cafe, the key to what you said is that you ate SMALL portions of that stuff you weren't supposed to eat. That's a good thing! :bravo:

Well, yesterday my weight was at 183.8 (I think :?: ) and this morning it's at 182.4! Something's finally kicking in, I think. Just gotta make it past the monthly birthday cake this afternoon. I've been informed that since I'm a September birthday, I "have to have a piece". What kind of rule is that???? :mad:

Off to do some work. Gotta make it look good when the boss rolls in. Let's just see if he even remembers our little deal.....

gma22
09-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Tig: I'm with you! Dr Phil is NOT a nutritionist he is a psychologist and has no business touting or endorsing pills, shakes, bars etc. It really irks me when people come out all health conscious and sell out because plain and simple it is GREED! I watched E True Hollywood story on him a couple nights ago and he is NOT a very nice person. He has been divorced (which for someone who is supposed to be a relationship guru is not a great thing), they say his staff routinely quit because he is such a jerk to all of them and I guess Oprah had to go out to Ca when she found out he was alienating his whole staff when his new show was in production. I like is in your face style, but I am highly disappointed that MONEY is really what is behind it all and that is pretty much was the program about him said. He is NOT the only one to do so, I believe Richard Simmons sold out too!

I walked 3.4 day before yesterday and 3 today so I am pretty up about the 5K now. I was not sure if I could do it, but I am positive I can now.

Semo, still have not heard anything from dh about the pledge stuff. Hope you know we are all here for you and love you!

To all the rest of you! Have a wonderful day and weekend. Tomorrow is Monster INC on Ice so I will probably feel like I walked 10 miles after having dgs for most of the day! :lol: Can't wait though.

Faye

Cafe976
09-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Good morning, all! Happy Friday!

Tiger - I've been down since my cheat too. I cannot let this get to me! Must be the perfectionism. Still, I stayed on plan yesterday anyway, even though my heart wasn't quite as into it. Somehow, I've got to learn to break that chain because I cannot afford to be slowed down by discouragement. Too close to the slippery slope if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I do feel better today. Thank you for the props, Jello! I guess damage control and jumping right back on the wagon does count for something.

Bright - I have not read anything about sodium and the SBD... that I remember! ;) More water will flush it out, of course. I don't think Dr. A is picky about that stuff unless it's an issue, but it's an individual thing, of course.

Jello - Nothing's cooler than getting paid for what you already do. Wahoo! Maybe it's his way of making up for the fact that he realized while you were gone that you do produce more work than others.

Still analyzing the stress/weight connection. Aside from 1 slip I've been on plan (Phase 1) all week but seeing no results. If anything, I have been eating somewhat less just because I've been too busy and then too tired when I finally had a moment. I think that I need to acknowledge and plan for the idea that for ME, part of successful dieting is not just the right food, but being able to relax and eat it. It really seems if I'm wound up too tight the body won't let the weight go. [Hey, that sounds familiar... didn't I read somewhere that stress hormones trigger fat storage?]

OK so managing stress is not only being kind to myself but stops my crazy lifestyle from undermining the efforts I'm putting in toward WL, saving myself additional frustration and discouragement. Now that's a powerful thought. :^:

Maybe I could be really simple and just say no to additional weeknight activities outside my already established routine. Trying to squeeze that work function in between work and worship on Tuesday set me up for a really difficult Wednesday because I had forgotten the dinner party. During the week, the schedule I already have is ENOUGH! now why was that so hard to figure out?

Gotta run - hope you all have a great weekend!

Jello
09-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Saturday morning at 181.2! :)

Pouring rain out and supposed to be like this all weekend. Good day for indoor chores I suppose. Ho hum. Oh well, got a lot of painting to do anyway. Plenty of exercise in that. :strong:

Hope you all have a great weekend!

brighterdays
09-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Hey all,

Tiger: I saw those Kong things at Petco this weekend but did not have a idea what they were....we (my sis and I) were busy looking at the "dolly" toys for our little girl dogs. I will pick one of those up...thanks.

Cafe: I have only lost 1 or so #s with this regimen and I'm on Day 9.

I wonder if the banana I had the other day made the difference---I was afraid that my fuzzy head that day was low potassium again (since I had that once before) so I ate a banana at work. Maybe I can't do that but I'll have to look up some other foods that are high in potassium---right now only the salt substitutes, bananas, and potatoes are all I can think of.... Otherwise I am never over the extra 75 cal with sugarfree drinks and even went to a dance last eve and only drank caf-free diet Pepsi.

I went for my annual at my gyn last week and I was spilling ketones in my urine and was a bit dehydrated. I am trying to drink the water as much as possible but expected the ketone spill because of how I did that on the other low carb diet.

Jello: we have nice cool fall weather here today with a touch of sun every once in a while---I love this weather! Kudos for the pounds down, girl!

Faye: my sis has been watching all that wt. loss stuff on Dr. Phil and the info she tells me is just like the examples that he gives in one of his last books-----I have the book but can't think of its name???:shrug:
I'm sticking with this SB diet until I can get some idea if it's what I'm looking for---I should know after 4 weeks I would think.... I DO know that food commercials about LJS fish and shrimp and french fries do not bother me like they did and neither did the snack bar last eve at the dance I went to...just have no appetite for those things right now....which is strange for me.

SEMO: missing your upbeat posts but I understand....we all have to take some grieving time. Take care:grouphug:

Hey to all I missed and Ms. Huntress---I hope all is well down there....

On a mission to find more delicious SBD recipes,

Bright
;)

Cafe976
09-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Monday Funday!

Bright - I'm sorry your loss has not been greater, but I'm glad you shared that. Like you, I'm not having any cravings that are really bothering me, so I'm not about to give up. Today is day 14 and I've stayed steady after those first 4 pounds. Well you know, down a half, up a half... whatever.

Jello - Wahoo on the scale!

Gotta run, noise in the office is driving me nuts - our head of sales left a broadcast voice mail that makes him sound like a drunken sports announcer and people are listening to it on speaker. I need a CD and headphones, now!

SEMO
09-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Hi Girls and Guy! I totally blew the weekend, ate everything in sight. Iím not weighing for a few days and drinking as much water as I can hold to try and undo some of the damage. On the up side, I did exercise Saturday and Sunday but did little else. Iím trying yet another exercise regiment, anyone heard of t-tapp? You can check it out on the web site if interested, supposed to get better relsults with less time.

Faye, happy belated BIRTHDAY! It was yesterday, right?

Iíve got to get the payroll done, be back later.

QuilterInVA
09-15-2003, 11:29 AM
Faye...Happy Birthday and may you have many more. You've accomplished much since you last one!

We're laying in supplies for the hurricane - even if it doesn't hit us directly, there'll be a lot of storm damage. Our ground is already saturated so more will just make trees fall over. Depends on the storm surge how bad things will get...besides damage from wind, flying debris and all that stuff. I live on a Peninsula with 6 roads that can exit all of us. Since they all back up in morning and evening traffic, there is no way I'd even think about evacuating. I'll tough it out a home. Hoping for more water and battery shipments today since they were cleaned out yesterday when I went to get more. Going to the bank for cash today.

Didn't do my best foodwise this weekend, but I did maintain when I weighed this morning. Got to get with it so I'm going back to phase one for a few days.

How about a New Year's Challenge beginning October 1? Any one up for that? I'd like to be down to 160 by then - very doable for me.

Jello
09-15-2003, 12:31 PM
No time! Just checking in quick to say hello and hope you're all having a good day. Semo, I had a weekend like yours apparently. I ate anything that wasn't nailed down. :cry: Wasn't pretty and the scale this morning said ... well, I can hardly bring myself to tell you all. How exactly does one gain over 5 pounds in less than 48 hours?!?!?! :mad: Stupid, stupid.....

Uh oh, gotta run. Oh but Quilter, I'm in!!! Let me think about a goal weight for New Year's Day! :chin:

Boss footsteps approach....
Doo doo. Doo doo. Doo doo. Doo doo..........

DNW
09-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Hi Girlies!!

Seattle was really nice and I got to see quite a bit of at least one of my nieces...the other niece only one time as she has work conflicts. The weather was better than they said it would be but then late Weds. and Thursday rain, rain, and more rain...and my sinuses were singing!! Well the rainy part of Seattle rules out this place as a possible place to move to...got to find a place that is a bit dryer.

I also gained about 5 pounds in 5 days since although I didn't eat my face off...my eyes and nose are gone!! :lol:

I am back on the program and being good....oh well not everything that is good for us has to be fun.

Lots of love to all and I will write more later in the week....got to catch up on office work and chemistry homework.

Smoochies :grouphug:

lizabeth
09-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Hi Everyone!

Two weeks down, total loss 10 lbs... but now the honeymoon is over. All the water weight is gone, rain cancelled my morning walk, DH is working nights so have chauffer duty tonight for DD which means I'm going to miss my yoga class!

At least I got off to a good start.

Faye: Happy Birthday!

Susan: Hope the worst of this hurricane misses you. Just coping with the water is bad enough without all the wind damage. I lived in Miami for many years so I know what you are up against.

Jello: Ignorance is Bliss... stay off the scales 'til you're back on track.

gma22
09-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Good morning ladies!

Well I watched the Dr Phil program and I agree with all his points as I have been trying to pound that stuff into ladies heads for a long time. I only take issue with the fact he is putting his name on food now and that is just for profit.

Hope you all are doing well:

DNW: Have your facial features grown back yet?.......Sounds like you had a great time in Seattle.

Anyone who lives up the Atlantic coast, you are in my prayers. Been there, done that when we lived in Va Beach and the waiting is frightening all by itself.

We had a grand time with the gs at the Ice show. Ole big mouth threw a fit when our seats were behind the sound system and they tried to move us to the middle of a row way down on the left side. I told him no way, I had bought aisle seats and aisle seats is what we were going to have and in the same row so find us something! He tried to get nasty and man I was up in his face. DH kept trying to calm me down and for $105 worth of tickets, I was having none of it! Jack's wallet came back $60 lighter as Nonny doesn't say no. Thomas came home with a figurine, hat and a tshirt!

Well, ladies, I need to get out and get my walk in and today is clean the upstairs day so I got to hit the bricks so to speak!

Faye

SEMO
09-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Good Morning, it's 58 degrees here with a promise of a beautiful day. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off, I have some outside painting that I need to get finished before cold weather sets in. Plus, I just wanna be outside!

Susan, please take cover, will be praying that it weakens more and more.

Faye, Don't you know that Southern Women DO NOT GET INTO OTHER PEOPLES FACES! We just demand what we want with a southern accent ;) with a threat to do bodily harm.

Lizabeth, Congrats on the ten pounds, I haven't had that kind of success, but SugarBusters is very similar, so it wasn't that much of a change in my eating.

Jello, is Itch back this week? How are you going to spend all your OT money?

Cafe, What DEEP thoughts, guess maybe it's a blessing that I have such a short attention span.

DNW, Sure you don't want to change your occupation to Travel Agent? Glad you had a good time.

Tig, what projects are you working on this week? Kids are back home before you know it, aren't they.

Bright, The weather guy says Fall weather is here to stay, and I'm sooooooooo glad. Hope we have a long fall, this is my favorite time of the year.

Gotta run, one more day until my weekend starts....... woohoo

QuilterInVA
09-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Well, the shelves are cleaned out of water and a lot of food, batteries and plywood are also gone. We are battening down the hatches. They are shutting down the Jamestown Ferry service at 12:30 pm tomorrow and moving the ferries to Richmond to ride out the storm. All the hotels are booked clear to Charlottesville. Looks like the storm is weakening, but it's still on a track to hit west of us which puts us in the northwest quandrant - the worst place to be. My boss is in Denver for a big business conference and I spent a lot of time scheduling individual client meetings during the time. He sent me an email last night and said he's coming home tonight. For once, I'm glad. He needs to be here to take care of all the properties he has and decide what we need to do. I'm 30 miles from work and probably won't be here for several days if we get much wind and rain.

Tigerlily
09-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Hi!
I went shopping yesterday.:D I actually had help from a salesperson picking out bras. All these years I've been cramming myself into a 38B...sadly, the B part was correct...I need a 42! Funny thing, bra's really aren't that uncomfortable if they fit right.:dizzy: Ofcourse, a 42B is a rare creature. The industry assumes if a person is a 42 she must have large ones. I ended up getting "extenders". Who knew? I also got some slacks and a really soft sweat suit type outfit...new shoes and a sweater.... :hyper:

Quilter, good luck braving the storm. You sound like me getting ready for a lake effect blizzard.

Semo, what'cha painting? I still need to stain our deck...it's just that staining the house was such a horrid job, I don't even want to start the deck. Today, I'm cleaning house. It's a wreck from DS's birthday party over the weekend and for some reason the maid didn't show up while I was gone yesterday. :p I also plan to get outside..maybe pick some apples.

Jello
09-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Quilter, take care! Even here "inland" in PA, we are being told to stock up and tie down, etc. Should hit us late Thursday into Friday. What a birthday gift that'd be. :o

How 'bout you DNW? What's your forecast looking like?

Faye, I admire your standing up for yourself. I'd probably have sat there behind the sound system and grumbled. Or maybe would have sat where ever Mr. Nasty moved me to. Good for you! :encore:

BTW, your b-day is at the end of this month, isn't it? Or am I wrong? Where'd I get that idea....? :?:

Semo, *itch came over to my desk yesterday and welcomed me back!! :shrug: Whassup wit' dat!?!? She was all smiles and nice. Ah but I'm not fooled. I know what she's really like.... :devil: Her vacation mood will wear off soon enough. BTW, if I don't get a chance to say it later, have a great time off! Enjoy!

Well all, scale was down a pound or so this morning. I'm recovering. Drinking lots of water these days too. And oh I didn't mention! The frenchmen are back! Oooh la la..... :rolleyes:

Gotta run ... in my panty hose ... literally..... :(

Cafe976
09-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Morning everyone!

Work interferance, computer crashed in another application, lost post. :?: Where was I? :write:

Anyway - on to Phase 2 today -wahoo! Unfortunately the scale is being contrary-wise. I have no way to account for an apparant gain this a.m. except waking up 1 hour earlier. I'm going to assume it's a fluke and keep moving forward. I like this diet, and I'm going to eat an apple today. :yes:

SEMO - Enjoy those days in the sun! Makes me think... I'm about ready for some vacation, too. Maybe a fall cabin trip. :sunny:

Jello - You crack me up! I have to remind myself the same thing about one lady - this is good, ergo it can't last.

So guess what? I put my fingers through my nylons in the bathroom yesterday, resulting in many runs. Get it, I went to the bathroom and got the runs?! :lol: Would have been more funny if it wasn't TRUE. Hope you find some nail polish.

Tiger - Congrats on the new "slingshots." Nice to have the right stuff, for a change.

Quilter - Hope that storm goes right around you, even if it doesn't sound that way at the moment. Sounds like you will be ready, come what may, hopefully you can just hide from the rain and sew.

DNW - good going getting right back on program. That's the hardest - tempting to let the 'vacation' last.

Faye - I'm picturing the usher man trying to mess with you, LOL, he didn't know who he was crossing. :rollpin: I'm glad you stood up for yourself and had a nice time.

Lizabeth - WTG on the first 10 gone! Hope your day yesterday improved.

Well... I went for a couple of 2 mi. walks over the weekend, just for fun, and I missed not having that chance yesterday. I'm thinking I might have to go for a ramble on my lunch hour. Take my healthy lunch somewhere and eat it outdoors, maybe...

DNW
09-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Dear Lovely Ladies and One Gentleman:

My sweetheart, best friend, and the love of my life passed away this morning from a sudden heart attack. I was with him and he went very fast and did not seem to be suffering too much.

Please keep my Bob in your prayers and I will be back here when I can cope a little better.

I love you all!!

Carol Ann

gma22
09-17-2003, 04:19 AM
DNW: Oh my God, Carol Ann what can I say? You sweet thing what a horrendous thing to happen to you. I will pray dilligently for you and your family. I cannot even express my sympathy for you and all I can say is my heart goes out to you and that I sit here with tears streaming down my face thinking what pain you must be in. Know that God has embraced you in your grief and has his arms around you good and tight!

Sorry guys, but I just cannot be jovial or flip this morning.

Faye

Jello
09-17-2003, 08:19 AM
Carol, we love you too!!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have stopped and said a prayer for Bob and for you and will continue to do so.

Please come in here when you can and know that I am thinking of you every moment of every day.

Love you.

QuilterInVA
09-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Carol, my heart, prayers and sympathy goes out to you. You will be in our thoughts.

SEMO
09-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Sending my love, I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words that can express my concern for you. Kisses.

Cafe976
09-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Carol, my heart is aching for you! I am so sorry that this happened. My prayers are with you & Bob.

{{Love and Hugs}}

lizabeth
09-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Carol Ann,

I'm so sorry. I will remember you and Bob in my prayers and thank God that you were there with him when he passed.

May your freinds and family be a source of comfort for you.

QuilterInVA
09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Ladies, such a sad day. I probably won't be posting before Monday, depending on the strength of Isabel when it gets here tomorrow afternoon. I live in the 100-year flood plane and we have been strongly urged to evacuate. There are no hotel rooms available for 300 miles around here, my sister-in-law in PA is expecting flooding so we are staying put. I am not doing good food wise - ate a small bag of fritos and half a bag of pretzels today...

QuilterInVA
09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Ladies, such a sad day. I probably won't be posting before Monday, depending on the strength of Isabel when it gets here tomorrow afternoon. I live in the 100-year flood plane and we have been strongly urged to evacuate. There are no hotel rooms available for 300 miles around here, my sister-in-law in PA is expecting flooding so we are staying put. I am not doing good food wise - ate a small bag of fritos and half a bag of pretzels today...

SEMO
09-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Quilter, I haven't watched the news since I left for work this morning. I've been praying that Isabel would lose some steam as the day progressed. Please be careful, check in as soon as you can. Gosh, I'm so worried about DNW and you, thinking about you both. ((((hugs))))

Jello
09-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Quilter, please take care. Don't know where in PA your SIL is but we're being told to bring inside anything that's not tied down.

Semo, I'm wishing Isabel would just give up already myself. No one's quite sure exactly what she's planning on doing. That's the scariest part.

Rich's mom is flying from Boston to Raleigh, NC today. Not sure what time she was supposed to get in but we're going to call when we get home to make sure she's safe and sound. I'm hoping she's already on the ground.

DNW, I'm still thinking of you. Have been all day long. I know you've got other things to think about but post if/when you can and know that we're thinking of you.

Girls, have to go now. Interesting. Everyone's trying to get everything done quick here. Isabel's supposed to hit us around noon time tomorrow so who knows what's going to happen regarding power, flooding waters, etc.

Life on the edge. I'm not liking it.

gma22
09-17-2003, 06:05 PM
All of you east coast ladies are on my prayer list. Please take care and be careful. I have been through one and it is indeed scary.

DNW: We continue to pray for you and know that you are totally in God's hands now and he will provide you comfort. We love you and this grieves our hearts all of us terribly.

Everyone take care. This stupid storm is actually supposed to benefit us I guess. At least that is what the weather man says! God surely works in mysterious ways.

Faye

brighterdays
09-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Carol,

I am so saddened to hear of your loss. I know that we all read about your love for your husband since he was a subject of many of your writings and you were very proud of him. It has always been apparent that you two were very close and enjoyed your lives together. I'm sure that will be a comfort to you in the days to come.

God bless you at this time.:grouphug:

Bright

brighterdays
09-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Take care everyone on the East Coast!

It looks scary on the news and I hope everyone stays safe.:grouphug:

Bright

gma22
09-18-2003, 05:58 AM
I hope this morning everyone is still ok. I haven't looked at the news to see if the storm has made landfall yet, but I am worried about you all. Please be sure and take extra care the next few days. We are here for you!

Faye

Jello
09-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Rich's mom is safe and sound in NC. :) She landed with no problems and now she and dad are going to ride out the storm. Rich and I (and most of our neighbors) spent yesterday evening packing up lawn furniture, etc. and packing our sheds and garages. Only problem - today's trash day so by the time we get home, our garbage cans will be who knows where. Can hardly wait.

In this area, the storm watch has been changed to a storm warning which basically means "we don't THINK it's coming, we KNOW it's coming". :stress: But it's supposed to pass mostly south and west of us so we'll get lots of wind and some rain. Biggest problem will probably be tree limbs falling and taking down power lines. The warning is supposed to last through 5:30 tomorrow evening. Some local schools are already closed. Gonna be a wicked couple of days.

Have I mentioned I'm a stress eater? :tape:

Still thinking of DNW and how she's doing. Praying to God several times a day to watch over her and help her in her sorrow. Carol, if you're reading this, please know that we're here for you and let us know if there's anything we can do for you. :angel: Bob is in a better place than this earth and he is watching over you to.

I have to go. I'll talk to you all later.

Cafe976
09-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Hello to everyone!

4:15 am - cat proceeds, with difficulty, to barf up a hairball - in the bedroom, naturally, bringing Cafe to a fully wakeful (not to mention disgusted) state. <sigh>

That's just to let you know why I was awake watching the news at 4:30 a.m. about the hurricane. They interviewed a man standing in a wind tunnel - raising the wind from 60 mph all the way to 110 mph to show what that was like. [Proving that category 2 is still one heckuva storm.] All I can say is wow! All of you out East take care, I will be thinking of you today.

And Carol, of course. {{{Hugs}}}

~Cafe

huntress
09-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Carol Ann,

I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

Love, Lajuna

Tigerlily
09-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Hairball *giggle* I feel bad saying it, but I don't miss our cat that found a new home recently.
Water problems here...some bladder thing went out, water spraying everywhere. Life. Lemons. Lemonade. ;)

Jello, dont 'cha wish you could change the stress/food dial setting? Ya know, like LOSE your appetite under stress?! Below a certain level of stress...I eat...above a certain level...can't eat. If I could just dial it down a little. Life is so stressful...I'd never eat. rattle, rattle, babble...

Carol, thinking of you.:angel:

Cafe976
09-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Tiger - wha? Your bladder went out and you're spraying water everywhere? :devil:

100% agreed on the food/stress threshold. I think you've got a right idea about turning the threshold down by magic, turning the stress up is not an answer.

Rainy day... hard time wanting to work, here.

gma22
09-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Tig: Get to the doctor quick!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cafe: Yuck, I don't think Butterscotch has ever had a hairball and I hope he never gets one. I have enough problem with the dog puking because the idiot will put anything into his mouth and chew it up.

Quilter: Hope you have battened down. I saw a pic of Va Beaches boardwalk so I know you have to be getting pounded with rain and wind by now as that was at about 5AM.

Carol Ann: Still praying for you. Bob is right there with you in your heart and you can carry him around always.

DD wants me to go on the Zone diet with her but I don't know. I hate to get out of my comfort area of knowing what I am getting into, but I know I am definitely over carbing as I am bouncing back and forth with 2-5 lbs and not losing consistently even though I am losing inches so I am thinking about it.

Well, gotta run and put dinner for Jack in the oven. I had breakfast and lunch out so I don't think I am going to have much dinner.

Faye

Jello
09-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Pouring, teeming rain here. Place is practically empty with folks going to pick up their kids from closing schools. Wind has trees all but bent over horizontally. I'm very nervous about getting home tonight. :stress:

And yes, handling that stress did involve chocolate. :sorry: Can't help it.

To make up for it, I'm going to get home, change my clothes and hop (or step gently) onto my treadmill. This I vow.

Sorry to ramble and run but have a few things to finish and then I'm outta here. Boss is busy with the frenchmen anyway....

DNW
09-19-2003, 08:28 AM
Hi Everybody:

Thanks for all the wonderful and kind posts. Today is the wake (viewing). I am looking forward to seeing him again...I miss him so much already. He was my heart you know. Friends and family have been with with me all week and I look forward to some alone time just to sit in the living room reading and pretending that Bob is at work and will be home any minute now. I just need to do that for a few days. Then deal with as much reality as I can each day. It's not that I can't live alone. I did that very well for over 22 years after I left home at 21.

It's just that I will miss everything about this man who loved me with all his heart, mind, and soul. Even though I am a little over 100 lbs overweight Bob always said I was most beautiful and sexy and was that I was one of the nicest people he knew.

He was a man to be admired. He volunteered a lot of his time to people in recovery and would help anyone he could. I admired him as much as I loved him. The world has lost a great and quietly gentle hero.

I will write soon I just need to get through the next few days...I have lost my soulmate and my heart hurts so much with the pain of missing him.

Love
Carol

gma22
09-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Carol: We hurt with you. You have many many people praying for you right now. You just go and do what you need to do and DON'T let anybody tell you how long to grieve or how to grieve. I believe God let's us know when it is time to move to the next step. We love you and know that the very very special man in your life is looking down on you right now!

Faye

Jello
09-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Carol, I've always believed in Heaven and how wonderful a place it must be. Bob is there now, watching over you and will wait until you and he meet up again some day. In the mean time, you will keep him in a very special place in your heart. Take the time you need. Take care of YOU. And know that we all love you here. :angel:

To all the rest of you, hello and I hope everything is going well. We weathered the storm (no pun intended) :rain: without too much trouble here. Some power outages (should have gone looking for the flashlights BEFORE the power went out) and lots of tree limbs, branches and leaves blown all over the place. But today, the sun is shining and the wind is blowing the clouds outta here.

And it's my birthday!! :hat: It's official. Rich can now trade me in for two 21-year-olds!

gma22
09-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Jello: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :gift: :hat: :balloons: Hope ou have a spectacular one!
Gald you weathered the storm ok. The Cubs are playing a doubleheader with the Pirates and I expect it to be a pretty soggy couple of games! Wish they were on tv today.

Faye

Cafe976
09-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Carol, I'm glad you're doing OK. I like the way you said, "only as much reality as I can deal with in a day." That resonates with me, I need some escape time too when things are hard. {{{hugs}}} What a wonderful man - I'm glad you got to share in his life for as long as you did! Only too short.

I went to my naturopath again today - I feel ready to take on new challenges again which is a relief over what I was feeling before. ;)

Tigerlily
09-19-2003, 03:46 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JELLO!! :cb:

I've been lost in the boys room today. Started out making the beds and ended up re-arranging. :dizzy:
This weekend will be football mania. Varsity football this evening. DS's Junior football tomorrow. And, DH is going to the Notre Dame football game. rah, rah, rah...

I ate a bowl of icecream this afternoon and now I feel like crap.:rollpin: Cherry Cordial. I don't even really like Cherry Cordial. :?:

Dryer is buzz'n. Hope everyone has a nice weekend. :wave:

Jello
09-19-2003, 04:38 PM
What a great bday present I got. Power went out at work around 10:30-11:00. Apparently out all over the area including traffic lights. Well, something back in one of our labs didn't like the power going out and caused the fire alarms to go off. There we all are standing outside when the fire trucks come screaming in. What fun.

I asked everyone if this was a surprise party just for me and the firemen were going to start stripping. :lol: Not.

Anyway, our prez. called the local electric guys who couldn't even wager a guess as to when the power would be back so ... he let us all go home! Paid day off! :cb: We all felt like little kids getting out of school early. Pretty funny - about half the company's employees ended up at a local pub knocking back a few. :cheers: I just had one light beer and a diet coke and then went on home. Been bumming around ever since.

Rich got me a little TV for in front of my treadmill in my li'l pink room. He's in the course of rewiring, oh, just about everything in the house to get the picture just right. :rolleyes: Whatever. Guess now I'll have no excuse for not being on the treadmill, eh?

Well, I'm off. Not doing anything special for the birthday but will probably face a food challenge or two over the weekend. But that's just typical.

Hope you all have a good one.

P.S. DNW, I was thinking of you today. And always. {{{Carol}}}

gma22
09-20-2003, 07:02 AM
Jello: Darn, no strippers and FIREMEN to boot. That's ok, I wouldn't mind them with their clothes ON! :lol: Keeps us young!

Tig: At least DH didn't go to the ND game last week cause Michigan kicked their behinds. What a waste of money that would be and the TRAFFIC there is always such a nightmare. They had Kelly's graduation (PENN HIGH) at the JACC and even that was a mess.

I just found out that my son must really really love his girlfriend. He gave her a $6000 engagement ring! Sheesh! I figure mine way back when cost around $250. How times have changed!:lol:

Carol: Thinking about you this morning and saying a little prayer for your well being. Big hug to you!

Quilt: You're not out in a rowboat quilting are you? Everything ok at your house now that the storm has passed?

Everyone have a great weekend and don't work too hard!

Faye

brighterdays
09-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Hey all,

The sun is shining here in MO but it is a chilly morning.

Carol: Take care and hang in there...we all love you and appreciate your posting to let us know how you are doing. I know that must have been difficult for you do at this time. :angel:
Sending you a hug from MO:grouphug:

Glad to hear you all weathered the storm, Jello. I hope Quilter was as fortunate.

:hat: :hb: Happy Birthday, Jello!

Gotta go---puppy chewing somewhere?? I can hear her but not see her......gotta mean trouble!

Have a good weekend all.

Bright

Jello
09-21-2003, 08:36 AM
The good news: Went to Delaware Park casino yesterday and came back about $350 richer! :yes:

The bad news: Both Rich and I have cards from the casino good for a $20 food voucher to be used during the month of September. (We both have Sept. b-days.) So we had breakfast there and we had lunch there. :no: And the vouchers are use them or lose them so we "had to get" 20 bucks worth of food both times. So it wasn't just eggs for breakfast but also home fries and sticky buns. And it wasn't just a sandwich for lunch but also dessert. Yikes! :eek: Lots of eating yesterday.

Lots and lots.

And lots....

Anyway, today's another day and I've got walls to paint. BTW, my li'l pink room is finally done AGAIN. I tried this new painting technique with 4 colors and these double sponge roller things so the li'l pink room's actually pink, peach, lavender and light yellow. Oh so pretty. :D But it'll always be the li'l pink room to me. Today's room is blues and greens. Stay tuned.

Faye, they say men are supposed to spend something like 2 months' salary on the ring ... or something ridiculous like that. :?: Anyway, I'll bet it's gorgeous!

Brighter, your weather sounds like ours here. A bit cool in the morning but pretty and sunny. Bye bye Isabel, you ol' :censored: . Spent part of yesterday afternoon cleaning up twigs and leaves and pine cones from the trees. Things are looking much better around here now.

Carol sweetie, I hope things are going a little better for you. Each day it will get easier. Things will always remind you of Bob and that's the way it should be when a marriage is as wonderful as yours. Take care. Love you.

I have to go. Paint cans await. Last weekend, my black cat had a pink tip on her tail. Can't wait to see what color she is after today.... :rolleyes:

brighterdays
09-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Hey all,

I changed my avatar to the scale thing because it makes me laugh.....I have a cartoon that has a lady looking for her scale in the bathroom and the scale is hiding against an outside wall as if to say, " oh, no! here she comes again!" My scale is getting a workout these days so it seemed appropriate.

Rainy day here....getting alot done inside but not venturing out much. Day 2 on the phase 2 of SBD and I like the smoothie that is recommended---I made that "lunch" instead of "breakfast".

Emmys are on tonight and got a few more things to get done so I just wanted to check in and say hey.

:rain:

Bright

DNW
09-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone I am still hanging in here. The funeral was yesterday and I should get the ashes back sometime this week. My pastor said this is the first wake and funeral where she actually laughed and felt joyful.

You see Bob wanted to be waked in his Bib overalls, Grateful Dead Ship of Fools Tee shirt, his purple Grateful Dead stocking cap with the 4 dancing bears on the front, his grateful dead socks with the bears, and his birkenstocks or "birkies" sandals. He had his Grateful Dead dancing bears blanket on him like when he usually took a nap. His casket was stuffed with his beanie bear Grateful Dead bears, a picture of me his Jerry Garcia doll and other strange and wonderful things. When Bob told me of these wishes when he had his first heart attack 2 years ago I was not sure I could do it the way he wanted it, but I now see the wisdom because he looked like he was just sleeping and peaceful as he was when he took his beloved naps. He was my big lovable boy and my sweetheart.

We also had the Grateful Dead music playing all through the wake. More than 400 people showed up to pay their respects and say goodbye and our church was packed. I knew my husband had an impact on those he came across in life and served in his vocation, but I never dreamed it was this many people. I am starting a Memorial Fund for him and will use the money for nursing scholarships and also for mental health issues or concerns.

Things quieted down today and I went to church. My pastor Diana said when she saw him in the casket he looked like he had died and gone to heaven and then she said when she looked at each of the pictures of us on the Memory board I made for the viewing she said the same thing.

I had the best husband, the best friend, and a true soulmate and I am so grateful (no pun intended). I admit I am feeling a bit sad today, I don't feel that I am alone though, and that's not because people have been coming around. I just feel Bob hasn't left me yet. Bob always loved being with me and I know wherever he is he misses me but I also know he is glad to be with his parents and friends who have gone before him and also Jerry Gracia of the Grateful Dead, who he really adored (probably they are plucking on their guitars right now). And I know if Bob had his choice he wouldn't have left me so soon.

I know you all have great relationships like mine and remember always make sure to kiss good night, good morning, say I love you alot and let the little stuff go, I am glad I learned to do that in the 12 years we were together because it gave us so much more time to live and love each other totally and be so in love.

I love you all and will write soon. :grouphug:

gma22
09-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Good morning ladies!

Carol: Everytime you post, you say something that just touches my heart so much. I always end up balling through the whole thing. I am glad you conceded to his wishes. We miss you but know you need time for all of this so just keep us in your thoughts knowing you are much loved here!

Bright: I have seen that cartoon and I am SURE my scales try to do the same thing, but my bathroom door opens out so he has no where to hide! :lol:

Jello: You HAVE to take pics of your room and post them. I am dying to see what artistic extravaganza you created!

I am enclosing a pic my daughter calls the "unfortunate finger painting incident" That boy is something else! God knows what her table looked like when he was done!

Everyone have a great day. It is cool and very wet here today so exercise will be inside. I am working on my menus since I have all my dinner recipes compiled for the three weeks. I am looking forward to starting this and seeing if I can again jump start my weight loss.

Faye

SEMO
09-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Good Morning To All.

Carol, Much love goes out to you. My Son's Girlfriends Mother was also buried in her bib overalls. She was such an outdoors person and loved her overalls. Good for you to honor his wishes.

Quilter, hoping that we hear from you today. Hugs

Jello, Happy Belated Birthday!

I went to St Louis, Friday and Saturday with my friend that had the tumor. Nothing has grown since the operation and she will begin radiation in a week or so. We really had a good time and shopped until we dropped. First time we have had time to just enjoy each others company in a very long time.

Well, I've got 30 min to get payroll in. Back later.

Jello
09-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Carol, you tryin' to make me cry here? What a wonderful send-off for an obviously wonderfully loved man!!! And picking guitar with Jerry Garcia is a wonderful image! :angel:

Hm, using the word wonderful quite a bit here. Must say something, eh? Take care of yourself Carol and know that we love you.

Meanwhile girls, my blue room turned out ugly ugly ugly. :mad: Just plain ol' YUCK in general. Didn't like it much, can you tell? :rolleyes: So next weekend's project is painting over it. I had tried to mix sponging light blue, light green and light purple. I think I mixed the paint too thin or something because I ended up with a purplish-gray wall.

Blech!

Stopped before I ruined any other walls and instead painted the remainder of the room just light blue. I'll try some "better sponging" next week.

Hey Faye, maybe your little painter can come over to my house! :lol: I was almost as blue as he was when I got done!

Have to go now. The boss stayed last Friday ... in the dark ... as usual :s: and left a pile of stuff on my desk for me. Good news is that he's at a trade show and won't be back until Friday. Bad news is that he left a project that I have to work on with the old *itch.

I will not let her get to me! Gearing up to go talk to her and I'm thinking I'll kill her with kindness, joke a little, maybe even compliment her outfit.....

Nah, I've seen what she's wearing today. :yikes:

Well, I'll try to be nice anyway. No need to stoop to her level! :smug:

Later!

Cafe976
09-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Good morning to all!

Carol - what a beautiful, fun sendoff! The music Jerry created with the Dead and with his JG band had a kind of quality to it - especially at the only concert I ever attended - that seemed like it could go on and on seamlessly practically forever, the same but always gradually changing... I never imagined it at a wake but it seems oddly appropriate and somehow comforting. Life is bigger than we are, after all, and although as individuals we pass on - the beautiful, magical complexity of life goes on and on and on and those who remain are each part of it, adding to it. The music plays on, and bit by bit we get through sadness, too.

Or maybe that was the contact high, LOL! <kidding here>

Ah.

I had a rough week last week with my PLAN but I'm back in the game! My visit to the naturopath on Friday got my spine straightened out and my perspective/attitude on straight too. I love this SoB diet! Really, I do. I was having a little "leaky gut" going on which is what was stalling my loss & even made it seem to reverse. Needless to say, that kind of de-motivation without knowing what is going on made it hard to stick to my plan last week. Sometimes I was good, sometimes bad. :shrug: But like I said, it's back to the beloved Beach for me. :)

{{{hugs to everyone}}}

~Cafe

Cafe976
09-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Woa! Am I the 'Ultimate Threadkill' or what?

It's lonely at the top, what can I say. <snicker>

SEMO
09-23-2003, 10:03 AM
I didn't really have anything to say, but I don't want you to be lonely.;)

Hi Ya'll!

Jello
09-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Cafe, it's not you! I've been trying to post all day and couldn't get in! Grumble. Fortunately, I saved my post to Word so I could try again. Let's just see....

What Jello wrote...

OK, it's official. My brother just emailed me the info. for the hotel that all guests of my niece's wedding will be staying at in January. I checked their website and yes it has an indoor pool. I aim to be in it! Just another reason I have to get my big ol' butt in gear and make it a small ol' butt! :lol: It's a January wedding in Ohio so I'm not quite as worried about what I'll wear to the wedding as I probably should be. :shrug: Can probably stay "well-covered" and all. But I'm fishing out the bathing suit today and will put it on and stand in front of the full-length mirror. :eek:

That oughta' do it. :s:

So along with Cafe, I'm back in the game!!! :strong:

Uh, what game is it we're playin' again? I'm so tired of that kick Jello down and make her eat chocolate game I've been playing. Chocolate keeps winnin'. :mad: Grumble.

Semo, I'm so glad you had such a great time with your friend. Been a lot time since I shopped til I dropped. I've come close but... Hmm....

Gotta get to work now. We're having torrential downpours with high winds. The drive to work was so not fun this morning. :( Wasn't that Isabel broad supposed to be outta' here by now? Anyway, I'm a bit late starting today. Good thing the boss is out of town. ;)

Later!

Edited now to say the sun is shining and chocolate is still winning. Who's idea was it to double stuff those :censored: Oreos anyway????

Cafe976
09-23-2003, 03:02 PM
THANK YOU Semo & Jello. :)

Shoppin' and droppin' DO sound fun.

Guess what? They're sampling the new special chocolates for fall of Godiva's at the department store just next door... someone kindly came and told me... and I didn't go! Counting small victories.

Oh, Jello, oreos are the bomb. They are SOOOO good. I'm going to eat a couple of those... but first I'm going to lose some weight! And now that this is past you, so are you. :yes:

~Cafe

Jello
09-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Geez, Cafe!!! Are ya' sick? Do you have two broken legs!?! Were you chained to your desk, unable to escape or even phone for help!??! :o I can't think of any other thing that would have kept me away from those Godivas!!

Anyway, whatever it was, I'm so sorry to hear it! :rolleyes:

Nah, I'm not! Glad you're not either! ;)

Now about those Oreos ....

Dipped in Godiva chocolate maybe ....

So close by that I can smell them and hear them calling my name ....

Oh it just keeps gettin' better and better...... :dizzy:

gma22
09-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Ok, time to put Cafe and Jello into Chocoholics Anonymous. Sounds like desperation here. May need to tie them up or something. Don't want to exacerbate you two's "problem" but the best chocolate fix is Dinsthul's chocolate covered strawberries. Only about 10 grams of fat per! I don't even drive past the store because I am too week to not pull right in and get them.

Carol: I sent my son your last post because he used to be a "deadhead" and he asked that I send he and his girlfriend's condolences.

I am two days from vacation and am chomping at the bit. Combine that with the fact that the Cubs can go ahead in the division race tonight if they win and the Astros lose and I am pretty much in outspace right now.

Hey, I was a pretty good girl. My ds and future dil asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told them it sounded stupid but what I would really like were some free weights for strength training. It's true, that is what I want! :lol: I can just see them hauling these weights into the restaurant after the game on Sunday.

Well, girlies, I need to work some more on my menus. I have 15 completed and I am trying to do between 3 and 4 weeks worth and then repeat them.

Have a great day and if I don't get back here before vacation, you all take care and stay OP!

Faye

lizabeth
09-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Hi All!

Carol: Interesting to hear that you feel Bob's presence. When my wonderful mother passed last year, I felt her all around me every time I was alone. I could almost hear her telling me not to cry, that she was okay... When you feel low, just imagine Bob and Jerry jammin... I'll keep you in my prayers.

Its been a weird week here. I didn't get to exercise as much as I wanted to because everyone needed me to do something for them! Youngest daughter need to be picked up late from band practice every night, son needed a babysitter for my little slice of heaven (grandson) two days and husband working 12 hour night shifts (read: working and unable to do a damn thing for himself) leaving me with all farm chores on top of my Mom chores. I don't know what these people are going to do when I finally find a job!!

Got my walk in every morning, but that was it. The scale showed I'd lost 3 lbs on Monday, but in a sneak peek this morning one of them showed back up. :chin:

I'm not having too much trouble staying motivated. Not cooking a big meal at all last week helped!! I Lean-Cuisine-d quite a few nights and drove dd thru a drive-thru on the way home from band.

I've been watching that idiot Dr. Phil and the Ultimate Challege... its like a train wreck... you are repulsed but still compelled to watch... He has managed to turn the whole thing into a circus. Those poor people... I thought it would be more like when Good Morning America locked the 5 or 6 folks in for a week and taught them the right way to eat and exercise. I just don't buy into the crap about "something in my life is bothering me so much I overeat".... If they didn't have a mental problem before check-in, they will before they leave...

Jello
09-24-2003, 08:05 AM
My name is Jello and .... gulp .... I'm a chocoholic. :sorry:

Lizabeth, bravo to you for even watching that guy! I have to turn off the radio when just a commercial for him comes on! :mad: I could go on and on and on about this ... but I won't. Suffice it to say I don't care for him much. :shrug:

Faye, good for you! I went out and bought my own little weights years ago because I was too embarrassed to ask for them. I even told the sales clerk they were for someone else. Hmm... Note to Jello: find my little free weights.... :?:

BTW, GO CUBBIES!!!!! :lol:

Carol, how are you? Just know that I'm thinking of you. :love:

Hey all, got on my treadmill yesterday for about half and hour. Watched my new little TV while I walked. It makes it go so much faster. And what did we ever do without remote controls!? Anyway, the plan is to walk on the days that I don't go to Curves. That's the plan.

Oh and have you noticed that I haven't been posting my weight as promised. Sorry. :cry: Too embarrassing after my fiasco last weekend. I know I've asked before and will probably ask again ... why does it take soooooo long to lose it and sooooo little time to gain it all back! :censored: !!!!!

Guess I'll wander off now. I'm doing this extra time in the morning for OT. Boss says I can "try" it so I have to have something to show for it when he gets back. It's Wednesday and he's due back Friday so I guess I'd better get some stuff done to show him that I'm not just sitting here posting on the 3FC forum.... ;)

gma22
09-24-2003, 08:45 AM
lizabeth: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one that thinks Dr Phil's approach is BS! I go along 100% with his ideas about working to get rid of why we overeat, but man he really made me mad yesterday and the day before. HE AND HIS STAFF ARE SETTING THESE POOR PEOPLE UP TO FAIL! On top of that, he is axing 5 of them, so what will they then do? Go home and binge because they don't think they deserve to lose weight or some such thing. I told dh he should be glad I'm not there because I would give DR Phil what for right on the tv in front of millions if they had the guts to air it. Why would you intentionally put roadblocks of food in front of people that are at the bottom? You know, I was a psychology major in college and my sociology prof told me to change majors because me therapy ideas were too radical. Basically, NO ONE BUT US MADE US FAT AND NO ONE BUT US CAN MAKE US UNFAT! BOTTOM LINE! I don't care if you were abused, neglected, beaten divorced whatever. You cannot blame those people for your overeating. They did not shove the food down your throat. Now, the fact that something catastrophic may have started you down that road yes, but YOU DIDIN'T HAVE TO KEEP IT UP! Ok, soapbox is over, he just really riled me the last couple days. I have told him off before and I may do it again.

Jello: Oh for goodness sakes, you have to not worry about the fact that you had a lousy weekend. I will go first to make you feel better ok. I had an EXTREMELY bad weekend and gained 5 LBS! I ate Krispy Kreme, Popeyes chicken, BBQ, Chicken Alfredo. Now you should NOT be ashamed because you ate badly or that you gained. Post your weight, no one here is going to be whispering, "what a pig that Jello is." We have been there and will go there again so we surely understand! As for me, my sloppy eating is keeping me from making my birthday goal and I am not embarrassed just mad at myself. I come home from Chicago and man I am seriously gonna kick butt. We are here for you all the time!

Gotta go girls. I have tons to do today!

CUBS ARE IN FIRST PLACE! YEAH!

Faye

SEMO
09-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Good Morning to All! The weather has absolutely been gorgeous here for the last several days. Makes me want to get out and run in the sunshine, well okay, maybe take a fast walk. Thinking about heading out to the park at noon for a stroll. Nothing much going on, itís been a little slow business wise, should start our fall rush in a couple of weeks. I must say that Iím enjoying this slack time tho.

DNW, thinking of you sweetie. Please know that we are here any time should you need to express your feelings, or concerns. Hugs

Think Iím gonna start cleaning up my office in a few minutes, heaven knows it sure needs it. Cough, cough from all the dust and cigar smoke floating around.

Faye, I do know who Dr Phil is but Iíve never watched him. Have fun on your trip and I wished you a Happy Birthday a bit early, thinking it was last week. So here goes again in case you get gone on your trip before I get another chance. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have you received you AARP paperwork yet? We kept getting that stuff and I would throw mine away and give DH's to him, it would aggravate him that he was getting it and I wasnít. Giggle. After all I am two and a half years younger than he is! Ha

Hey to everyone, gonna start cleaning now.

Cafe976
09-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Good Morning - Happy Hump Day!

Um, my name is Cafe, and... I'm a chocaholic. I've been clean for 13 hours and 6 minutes. :lol: Yeah, I had a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips last night. A little dark chocolate is OK on phase 2??? I was so good earlier, too. :shrug:

Lizabeth - wow you are a busy lady! It already sounds like you HAVE a job. :) WTG humming along on plan.

Jello - you are making ME want a treadmill. That's saying something. ;)

Faye - Making menus must take the guesswork out of weekly planning, shopping and cooking. Are you doing dinner menus, or whole days? Any tips?

SEMO - Know what you mean about the glinting sunlight at this time of year and wanting to play - in the leaves, too. Only, there aren't any leaves here yet, LOL.

Don't know if I have said this before - I have a window panel in my cubicle that faces a hallway - and the doors to 2 of my boys' offices... When they are open, and I try to make sure they are, I can glance up from the computer and see through their offices and out their 15th floor windows. Through a couple of buildings I can spy the grounds near our state capital. An expanse of grass, trees and sidewalks. Now that the weather is cooler, it will be more fun to make the short trek over there. :hyper:

lizabeth
09-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi all!

Faye, I so wish you had been chosen!!! Someone needs to straighten that jerk out!!! Those people are going to veiw the tapes of how they were portayed and manipulated and be too ashamed to leave their homes...

Cafe, I too am a Chocoholic. I buy Milky Way lights (4 pts each), cut them into fourths, eat one and freeze the other three for my 1 pts snacks for the rest of the week. Unfortunately, they are just as good frozen... Should just be honest with myself and either eat the whole thing or not buy anymore!!! :T

gma22
09-24-2003, 02:16 PM
SEMO: Thanks for the bd wishes. No, for some reason I haven't gotten any AARP stuff, but dh sure did and it started right after his 49th birthday. I must be just too too beautiful for them to believe I am going to be 50 on Sunday so they didn't send it! :lol:

I think it has become evident that we have some serious chocolate issues here and I think I need to work on a 12 step plan for those of you suffering with this "disease."

Cafe: What I did was found dinner recipes that were lowfat, then I took my 1800/410 cal and fat, started with dinner and slotted in the main dish, added whatever bread, another veggie, fruit, dessert whatever, then did lunch, then breakfast, then 3 snacks. I would add my cal and fat as I did each food and if I found I was going to run out, I would go back and remove something higher in cal or fat and put in something lower so that I get 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. I made a full day's menu for 20 different days and I am going to try and make 8 more so I have a full month's worth to work with. I keep a folder in my computer of "all things weight loss related" and in it are some recipes, and also a great list of snacks from 25 cal to 200 I think. I draw from there to fill in snacks and even breakfast or a meal where I need a fruit or ice cream or pudding or something. Here is an example of a day's meal:

MENU 2

BREAKFAST: 1 carton egg beaters with 1 slice toast with all fruit jam 150/10

SNACK: 16 oz spicy bloody mary mix with snack mix (1 cup lowfat popcorn and 1tsp peanuts) 190/ 80

LUNCH: WW frozen meal 400 cal less 80 fat cal or less
Carton sugar free jello and 1 tbl ff cool whip 50

SNACK: slimfast snack bar 125 /30

DINNER: Peppered Pork Chops (see recipe) 2 servings 334/72
Baked Potato with 2 tbl low fat margarine 320/100
1 cup cooked broccoli 50
health start ice cream bar 80

SNACK: chocolate grahams (14) 130/25

It takes a long time to do, but it is going to put me back on track to losing weight again as when I started this, I would take a sheet of paper early every morning and basically make a menu for the day and followed it strictly. Let me know if you are interested and I can pm you all the menus and almost all the recipes are here on 3fc.

I am going to go downstairs and read for awhile. Jack will be home in a couple hours and we get to pack and when we get to travel I never hate packing! ;)

Faye

Jello
09-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Step 1: Buy chocolate.
Step 2: Unwrap chocolate.
Step 3: Eat chocolate.
Step 4: Buy more chocolate........

...... etc. :s:

Giggling fiercely...........
I crack me up.

lizabeth
09-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Faye:

Put those menus into a file and send it to all your friends (us!!!) :gift: for Christmas. You are really building a strong foundation to succeed!

I read about Fitday.com in another thread and started recording my food into their program. Even though I'm eating less, my fat consumption is between 40 and 45%. I'm going to follow your lead and pay more attention to fat and less to points. I want to be healthy and sexy, not just sexy. :flame:

Jello: ... Step 12 - Step on scale and scream :yikes:

Until tommorrow.

SEMO
09-25-2003, 10:32 AM
You Girls are too funny. Jello, step away from the chocolate, step away now!

Quilter, Where are you? Pop in a let us know how things are going.

Faye, Iíll be back in Memphis, October 7 & 8th for some training, wish I could break away from the pack long enough to visit with you. Ahhhh one day.

DH and took a walk yesterday afternoon, felt so good to get out in the fresh air. We walked to the back of the farm to check his soybeans. Must say they look very pretty, what didnít drown out in the flash floods look really good. $$

Nothing much else going on, Iím still doing the T-Tapp exercises, and so far so good. Iím seeing changes in my body already, think itís a keeper. In fact, Iíve signed up for a class in St Louis on November 8th, early birthday present to myself. DH thinks Iíve lost my mind, drive three hours to exercise then drive three hours home. Oh well, Iíve done crazier things!

Chat later.

Jello
09-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Alright you guys. It's official. I need to lose weight.

... As if I didn't know this before.... :rolleyes:

Today .... oh I can hardly say it ... too embarrassing.....

I broke my chair!!! :cry: Sat down and crushed the sucker. :sumo: Darn near landed on the floor, I did. :headache:

(Had to use the headache smiley because I don't believe they make a smiley for what I almost landed on.... )

Annnnyway, now I need to lose weight AND a new place to park my big ol' .... Oooh, embarrassing....

Trying to convince myself: chair was old and squeeky and ready to die anyways......

:sorry:

QuilterInVA
09-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Hello, ladies - I have survived Hurrican Isabel - got power and phones back on at work - so working today. Power at home is another story - still have 40% of people here without. I must live right ... the flood waters came within one inch of coming in my house...on all sides. It was pretty scary. We were blessed - lost the food in the fridge and chest freezer and our air conditioner demanded a new part and wire to the house fust box - did not take well at all to being covered by water. The damage here is unbelievable. My neighbor had a crane in yesterday to get a tree out of his living room - it came there by way of his second floor bedroom and roof. Tree was huge - 30 inches in diameter. We had many such cases as that. My next door neighbor lost 2 cars in the flood. They were parked on the street and we never thought the water would come that way - we found out we live on a peninsula, not a cul-de-sac as we had thought. The whole town of Pocquoson flooded - $100 million damage and running. Fema has set up shop and we are getting water and ice at the fire station. Grocery stores and gas stations are opening again so we can get food - but only enough for the day.

If we have another, I'm getting out of town.

Sad to report, I've gained 5 pounds. Just have to eat what I can get and be glad to have it and I've also overate due to the stress. I'm going to start South Beach Phase I Week 1 again as soon as we get power and I can get some decent food on hand.

I've missed all of you.

SEMO
09-25-2003, 03:08 PM
SUSAN (((((hugs))))) We're so happy that you are okay! Don't worry about the gain, heck, I'd been tearing off and eating the wall paper if I had been in your situation. I'm sure the after effects will hang around for awhile, just give yourself time to breath. We missed you.

DNW, kisses, thinking about you.

Where is everyone, sure has been quiet today.

DNW
09-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Hi my ladies..tonight was a weeper and it's really starting to sink in that Bob is gone...I am eating crappy because I just don't care...and seem to be craving carbs like pasta and cookies. Alas it doesn't bring my sweetheart back so I guess I better get back to basics very soon. Besides the extra carbs are making me a little more depressed...damn sugar.

Quilter: I am so glad you are OK!!

Semo: Thanks for the hugs and kisses...I was picturing you and DH going to go look at the soybeans in the back...that would have been so Bob and me...cherish those moments.

Cafe, Jello, Brighter, Huntress, Tiger, Lizabeth and Faye...thanks for your love and kindness too...it means so much right now to know you all do care....I must pull myself together...it's just so hard right now!!

I really love you all!! :grouphug:

Jello
09-26-2003, 08:01 AM
Carol, you cry all you want and eat what you want and the carbs be damned! It's like what you said to Semo. You have to live your life and cherish every moment. Take the time you need and when you're ready to get back to this weight loss stuff and pay the bills stuff and take out the garbage stuff, you'll know it. And then all your friends here will be happy to crack the whip and get you back onto the weight loss wagon. :drill: Love you!

Susan, I'm so glad to hear from you. :) Sounds like you got clobbered pretty good. Hope things get back to normal soon. Bet you never thought you'd be glad to get back to work. But I'll say the same thing I said to DNW. Worry about getting back on program after you've worried about the other stuff.

Yes, weight loss is important to all of us but there are other things that are so much more important.

Man, am I waxing philosophical today or what? :soap: I'm going to shut up now. It's Friday! :yes: And boss is due back in today. :no: Yeah, yeah. Take the bad with the good. For example, it's rainy and overcast here .... but it's Friday!!!!

Or have I already mentioned that?

QuilterInVA
09-26-2003, 08:39 AM
It is so good to get back to my normal routine. I was just so disorganized the whole time I was off. My friend and I were comparing notes and we both felt we just couldn't think clearly.

DNW, cherish yourself and don't worry about carbs or weight or any thing else that, in the end, is really inconsequential. My priorities have been drastically rearranged by the Hurricane.

You know, normally when you go to the grocery store, everyone is in a hurry and some people practically run over you to get a head of you in a line that has 1 other person. Well, the stores that had generators and were able to open after the storm -- sans and perishables, frozen foods, meats or dairy -- were jammed. The generators could only operate a little light so it was like candlelight. People were very calm and subdued. The lines stretched from the front of the store to the back but no one got angry or anything. People actually shared items that they had in their carts! We have people from Montreal here now helping restore electric power. They are hoping for 75% restored by tomorrow. There are still areas considered unsafe to work in and they won't go there until the downed trees have been removed and the debris somewhat cleared. One unpleasant aftermath of the storm is the smell of rotting vegetation, garbage, meat and the stink of fish from the flood waters. My asthma is getting worse and worse. The Air Force is going to spray for mosquitos over the weekend. They anticipate they'll start hatching Monday from the standing water left by the storm. I already have bites on my bites. The other thing is snakes...had pictures in the paper today and what to do if you get snake bite because they have come into houses and garages to escape the storm. I'm more afraid of snakes than anything.

The first 8 spaces in the parking lot here at work are roped off and debris from downed trees is stacked about 10 feet high in that area. Don't know where or when we'll be able to get rid of it.

Well, another weekend of cleaning up the mess. I must say, I've gotten a lot more exercise lately!

Dyanm1
09-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Long time no hear from me I know :o . But don't think I haven't been thinking about ya'll. I can't even remember when the last time I posted was. I believe I told ya'll that I was pregnant, and I still am! I'm due Dec 19th, and can't wait. I'm looking forward to having this last little bundle and getting back to some kind of routine. Ever since that rat ba$tard of a con artist, I've been unemployed and way down in the dumps..... but I am truly trying to pull myself out. I will be trying to check in as much as possible to see how ya'll are doing. I am so far behind that I will have to start over with the posts from here. On a good note, at almost 7 months I'm weighing in at 299. Still under, from where I started last June!

Talk to you all soon (I hope)!!

QuilterInVA
09-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Dyan, welcome back. You're doing a great job. Please stay in touch with us!

Jello
09-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Hey, Dyan's back!! Good to see you here! Both of you! ;)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

lizabeth
09-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Hi All!

DNW: Hang in there and don't forget to be kind to yourself. When I was greiving I took long walks. Something about walking helped me. I was kind of hypnotized by the sounds of my feet slapping the pavement. Seek out something that gives you a brief interlude from your pain. I am so sorry you have to go through this.

I have been so good... until today. I had to do my parently duty and work at the Bands Chicken BBQ fundraiser. I made 2 apple pies so I had to have a peice with my meal. Then shared an apple dumpling with ice cream with DD at the football game. Its amazing what havoc such innocent looking foods can create to a healthy eating plan!! 700 calories over what I usually consume... Oh well, tommorrow is another day.

Gotta go. The cat is going to help me type if I don't get off and feed him. He's standing on the desk meowing and pawing at my hands.

DNW
09-28-2003, 09:07 AM
My Very Dearest Ladies:

Thanks for all the kind words once again. Well the tears are coming just about everyday now...and I know that with great love comes great pain...so I will get through this.

I cleaned out Bob's car yesterday and found mounds of candy wrappers, empty cupcake packages, at least 12 chocolate bars of the variety that you purchase for fundraisers...so they were extra large. I even found a whole matzo...now that was strange! Bob would never let me clean out his car after last year because I found a similar, but small cache, of these items. He said that they were there from a long time ago, and to please not clean his car again as it was his space.

I understand now that my diabetic husband never could get away from his cigarette and food addictions: which were sweets and cheese, and fats. I tried to cook healthy, but you can't be with someone all the time. And nagging him did no good. And you need to know that my husband was only about 20 lbs. overweight when he had his heart attack two weeks ago.

However, I know this from seeing it with my own eyes, enough of the wrong food will kill you in the end. Bob was a nurse and I know he figured that all the heart medicine and insulin would compensate for the cigarettes and fat and sugar...but he was wrong. Medicine only does so much and we have to do the rest.

I am down to 252 now with a total loss of 18 lbs for the year. I am renewing my promise to myself to get healthy, exercise, and get slim to honor myself and to honor my husband who was not able to help himself, or admit he had a problem with food.

I have the same issues my husband had with food, but I knew I had a problem. Bob chose to deny it.

Now I have to move forward and do the right thing for my body and my soul. Food used for anything other than sustenance kills you in the end. The gluttony I enjoy today will come back some day for payment...so I will fill my bank up with loving memories of my husband and care for my body and stay healthy...gluttony will go away empty handed and I know it will always be ready to return another day. When it does, I will remember my husband lying lifeless at my feet, and once again forcefully close the door on my endless appetite and take only what I need and leave the rest.

I apologize for sounding preachy but someone I loved died from too much of the wrong food...Bob is a good example that you fool only yourself when you don't listen to your body.

I love you all...:grouphug:

brighterdays
09-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

Carol: let those tears flow....it's much better that they come out rather than be bottled up inside. You'll feel much better letting the grief come out.

Quilter: Glad you weathered the storm... it was so scary looking on the TV.

Lizbeth: Sounds like an excellent BBQ!

Faye: The menu planning is what I need! I'm gonna work on that this weekend....great idea!:idea:

SEMO: I'm freezing this am when taking the pup out to do her duty.....what is the temp this am? Are we in the low 50's this am? Guess I better watch the weather a bit lately....

Dyan: Welcome back, girl! We've missed you! Hope you and the little one are feeling good these days...good to hear from you.

Cafe: Challenge #27---shopping with sister/daughter/niece and Olive Garden is chosen.....Eggplant Parmigiana was my choice and I didn't eat the spaghetti that went with it but ate the salad and 1/2 the bread stick. I think I did okay...especially since the mall smelled of freshly baked cinammon rolls---man, someone is rich with that store! Stayed away from all other sweets/drinks/carbs and shared my pecans (stored in my purse) with all while trying to find a restaurant. South Beach diet rules!

Haven't weighed this am but walked for about 9 hours yesterday shopping so I'm sure I haven't gained---weighed in at 174# yesterday am.

Jello: I'm a bit of a chocolate freak but my weakness has been french fries...tater tots, cheese fries, waffle fries, etc. I like a bit of chocolate esp. when it's time for Aunt Flo to visit.

Take care all and hello to all I missed. Ms. Huntress--hope you have a sunny day today!

:flow1: Bright

brighterdays
09-28-2003, 11:21 AM
P.S. Happy Birthday, Faye!!!

Bright

Jello
09-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Carol, you are absolutely my hero!! You are so strong and just amazing. And shedding tears for that wonderful husband of yours doesn't make you any less strong. That's about all the words I can conjure up after reading your last post. I want to be just like you. We don't live too far apart and some day I'd like to meet you in person for a real hug! :grouphug:

Of course, you'll be so skinny I probably won't recognize you! :angel: Take care of YOU!!!

OK everyone. Let's follow Carol's lead. Let's all get onto that wagon and stay on. Even if we have to hold on for dear life. If we're all on there, it won't be so easy for any one of us to fall off! :high:

I'm going now. Been painting and am finding purple and green on body parts that I don't even want to think about how it got there! :o Spent yesterday painting too while Rich installed a new toilet. Boy, how excited we were, you'd think we'd been using a hole in the ground before this. :lol: Ah, life's little things.

Off to find the hand cleaner...

Faye - HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! :gift: And all that good stuff.

Dyanm1
09-29-2003, 03:01 AM
DNW: I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I always remember all the wonderful things that you would say about your wonderful husband. I say......cry girl, cry.....We all need a release!

Jello, Brighter, SEMO, Tiger, Cafe & brighter: I am so glad to see that your all still here!! Has Tiffany been around? Also, have you guys kept up any of the challenges?

I can't wait to have this baby and start some kind of weight loss something. I had an ultrasound on Friday (because the baby is measuring big) and it sounds like I may have to go to insulin AGAIN. Had pregnancy induced diabetes with my last one. I had to check my blood sugar levels 6x a day and inject insulin twice a day......which was very hard for someone with a needle phobia!! I still have to take the 3 hour test to know for sure, but the ultrasound tech told me not to be surprised if I failed. I just missed the 1 hour test, the high is 140 and I tested at 142. UGH!!

Anyway, it's late and I am so very tired. I hope everyone had a great weekend!

TTFN

QuilterInVA
09-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Good morning - A lovely day here - the better to see what needs fixed, removed and generally cleaned up. 94% of the people have power back now. Tree removal is lagging behind.

Came in this morning and a virus/worm has attacked one of the computers. What a lovely way to start the week.

Scale was down 3 pounds so didn't do as much damage as I had thought. Back on track today - Phase I Day 1 - and counting.

SEMO
09-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Ughhhhhhhhh, itís Monday alreadyÖ.. Iím only here in body, wish I could win the lottery and live a life of leisure, but guess that requires buying a ticket. Well, in this area I should just be proud to have a job and be able to work. Okay, Iím all better now.

DNW, Iíve thought of you all weekend. I really canít imagine how hard this is and know that it gets harder before it gets easier. Time takes care of a lot of our pain and you have so many fond memories of your beloved DN. Thanks for sharing so many of those wonderful times with us, I really feel that we knew him too. You know that we are here to lean on anytime. Try and do at least one thing for yourself each day and make that a priority.

Dyanm, GIRL, glad your back, so did you make that move? Hope that you get a good report on your test. I missed all your stories about the kiddies.

Bright, Iím freezing my buns off, well on second thought, that might be a good thing. Sounds as if you shopped until you dropped too.

Faye, Happy Birthday, and didnít the Cubs win just for you, thatís the story I heard on the news.

Tig, where are you, we havenít heard from you in a while. With the kids in school you should have some time for us.

Jello, Sounds as if everything is back to normal. Hey, I get excited about inside plumbing too. Ha

Quilter, Surly to goodness, your run of bad luck will be over with your latest incident. A person can only take so much. Saw on the news about all the damage in your area, very glad that it didnít get inside your house.

Lizabeth, one slip up will not destroy you, just jump right back up and donít look back.

Still doing T-Tapp, and I am sore! Iíve dropped back to every other day now and doing some other type of exercise on my off days, hope this keeps me from crashing and burning. Girls, gotta get payroll done.

Tigerlily
09-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Hi.
Semo, I've been keeping up on my reading. Just not feeling very "posty" lately. :sorry:
Wondering why the longest I can stick to any one plan seems to be two weeks. Short attention span.:^:
On the up side, my DH actually mentioned that he would like to start some kind of exercise. :faint: This coming from "I'm on my feet all day" and Mr Been Skinny all his life. I hope something comes of it, because that would do wonders for me. He actually confessed to doing some pushups in the bathroom. Wish I could have seen that. :s:
Dyanm, nice to see you pop'n in. Do you know if your having a boy or a girl yet? Name all picked out? That's great you haven't gained weight with the pregnency.

Hey to everyone else :wave: Laundry is call'n my name.

gma22
09-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Hey gals, I am back home and don't ya know we are dancing on the ceiling at this house since our CUBBIE BEARS won their division championship! As for my trip, it was spectacular. Got into Chicago around 1 AM and slept until around 9. Went looking for Wrigley Field, found it and Harry Caray's, then we went to the museum, I got to feeling bad (TOM decided to rise up) so we decided to go out to their big mall, got lost in downtown Chicago at lunchtime (UGH WHAT A MESS, but guess who was driving and wouldn't stop to ask for directions until we were almost out of gas?) and 3 hours later instead of lunch, we ate ate dinner at the CHEESECAKE FACTORY (need I say more) and came back to the hotel in a driving rain storm. Saturday, we skipped the ZOO because it was really cold and wet, drove over to Indiana instead to see our son and give him the extra CUBS ticket we had (they were scalping them for $500 each and we paid $20) and he was going to try and sell it, spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with my oldest sister and her husband and went to the big Amish restaurant called Das Essenhaus and drove back to Chicago getting back to the hotel about 10. My sister bought me a baseball mit and glove picture frame for a pic of Thomas, a book I have already read (didn't tell her that though) and a beautiful fall candle in a stand. Sunday was "I TURN 50" day and GIRLIES it was so cold it would have frozen your boobies right off! Because the CUBS played a doubleheader on Sat and won the division title, Sunday's game didn't count for anything, but the WGN announcer and former CUBS player, Ron Santo was having his number retired. The game was at 1:20 and the ceremony at 12:30 but I was sitting on the bed naked having taken my shower at 9:30 am and saw on WGN's news that there were 3000 people at the stadium so we rushed around and left. The wind blew ferociously and it was about 50 so it was so cold. I had taken a blanket, our son, his fiance, her friend and the friend's boyfriend and mother (who got the extra ticket, which was fine with us) all got there around 12:30 and we just had a great time. Jay bought his dad a CUBS hat, I bought Thomas this big soft stuffed baseball that said Chicago Cubs on it and a bat (his mom will kill me!) and the first 10,000 ladies got this cute little ceramic bear wearing a CUBS uniform and Ryne Sandburg's # on it. Also, my son, unknown to me had submitted a guest card and they announced my birthday on WGN radio AND TV on Sunday which was really special. We left early since the game didn't count and went back to the hotel and changed into dressier clothes. GIRLS I BOUGHT A PAIR OF 2 INCH HIGH DRESS MULES (SHOES) AND LOOKED HOT HOT HOT! Made me 5'9"! I haven't worn heels in a longggggg time. Dinner at Harry Caray's was fabulous, the food was exquisite though really expensive, our son paid for our dinner, but we bought a bottle of champagne and toasted their engagement (my future dil's friends came too). The two of them bought me the most beautiful jewelry box, an assortment of Bath and Body products in my favorite scent, Cotton Blossom, a PAIR OF YELLOW DIAMOND earrings, and this pewter "prayer box" necklace. It is this tiny tiny box that you can open like a locket and you insert a prayer into it that you want answered. Other than my period starting and having a mess driving home today, it was just an amazing weekend.

Oh and guess what? I got a letter in the mail and an e-mail while I was gone from the chairman of the poetry contest and I won a spot in their new poetry book. They only choose 200 entries out of the thousands they get and I was one of them. On top of that, because I was a SEMI-FINALIST I am supposed to submit another original poem and it will be included plus be entered into a $ award contest. I get to submit a biography of myself including what prompted me to write the poem I did etc. What a way to be able to make a statement to help other fat people think about losing weight. My poem was judged by a panel of established modern poets and I was sent a "review" of my poem. On my review was written, EXCELLENT POEM in caps. Maybe I should shoot for exercise next, huh? :lol:

CaroL: Honey, keep knashing those teeth, crying those tears and loving those memories. As for the food, I know you are caught in the middle of not caring about what food you consume right now and wanting to be healthy after your husband's death because of the circumstances. Just don't be too hard on yourself. You are probably going to have those EVERYTHING CARB days popping up and don't stress out over giving in to them. This will all fade in time, but it does take time. I actually, smiled when you talked about you husband's garbage can of a car. Maybe you don't realize the adorable glimps you gave us of the may you shared your life with. I even chuckled over the matzo. Sort of like finding a "sour ball" covered in fuzz in an old coat!

Well, ladies, I am pooped and I need to get up early because the whole house is a mess with suitcases, souvenirs and such.

Faye

Jello
09-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Whew! How on earth could I follow a post like Ms. Faye's!?!? Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL birthday trip! And Sammy and his Cubbies gave you quite a gift. :gift:

Bad news is that I pulled my Cubs jersey out of the closet and it had a big stain on the front. :mad: How'd that get there!?!? :snooty:

Girls, I'm in my second week of working an extra hour or half-hour in the morning for OT. Yeah, a little extra money's nice but I'm not so sure about this. Heck, by the time my "usual crew" is back there having coffee without me, I'm already pounding the keyboard. And it's ... gulp ... cold and dark when I leave for work in the morning! :eek:

Yeah, I know, I'm complaining again. I'll shut up. :tape: I am getting a lot accomplished anyway.

And speaking of accomplishing a lot, tomorrow's October 1st. Any thoughts about the October challenge we'd discussed earlier? I'm thinking that I'm going to vow to do better on weekends during October. That's when I usually crash and burn.

Uh... well, except for the weekend of October 25. That's when we'll be down in North Carolina for Rich's parents' 50th anniversary! I plan to indulge ... just a little.....

But there's some inspiration in that trip too. About a year and a half ago, Rich's mom found out she has diabetes. Since then, she's lost almost 60 lbs.!!! :D

Like ... wow!

SEMO
09-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Good Morning. Nothing much going on around here today. DS has his third interview at 2:00 today, say a little prayer for him will ya. He needs this job.

Faye, what a wonderful time you had, Ms Hottie! See, told ya turning 50 wouldn't be so bad. ;)

Kind of cloudy here today and cool, all the farmers are scrambling around starting to harvest soybeans and the cotton will be ready before long. Grain trucks running wild on the highways going to the grain elevators and hurrying back to the fields. Oh man, I love the fall.

Jello, start rat holeing that extra money for a winter vacation. That will make it easier.

I have invoices to mail out today so guess I'll get started.

TaTa for now.

lizabeth
09-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone.

Faye: God! My life is so ordinary!!!!! (but I am glad you had a great Bday!) Harry Cary's??? Best food I ever had (on expense account). What great gifts, too. I like the shoes best...

There is nothing like a new pair of shoes to perk a person up. Right after I lost my job, I was BROKE and DEPRESSED and my DD dragged me to Gabes (discount store). There were these stacked soled, red sandals with a strap for the big toe and a strap that held them on... both covered with red beads & sequins. Now ordinarily, these shoes would have seemed gaudy to me, but that day they made me laugh. I spent $2.99 on them and everytime I wear them, I smile. Dumb huh?

Jello: Glad Rich's mother lost so much weight, but that's a wake-up call I can live without. I'm even more inspired to lose...cause that could be me any day. My dad waited until he was diagnosed to take care of himself and by that time he had lost some kidney function and suffered from heart problems. How can I know this and still not have whatever it takes to change it???

Carol: Hang in there, you remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Dyan: Glad to meet you. I hope you can manage your gestational diabetes without the shots. My blood sugar was out of wack with my third child, but I never had to take insulin. What does the Dr. say about walking... I was told exercise and frequent meals would help (and they did). Pregnancy is so wonderful, to have a little person growing inside you. When you deliver, everyone finally gets to meet the baby you already know. Enjoy being "legally fat".

I only lost 1 lb this week, so my band debacle costed me!!! But that was good pie...

See you later

gma22
09-30-2003, 04:16 PM
lisabeth: Anything that makes you smile can't be bad. How cool. I was thrilled I could actually walk in the things. They have that new heel that is wide but kind of thin. They are certainly not for going to Target in, but as long as I am not walking all over the place they are great and pretty comfortable actually.

Thought you might like to see us so here is my son, future dil and Jack and I at Harry Caray's. We had this adorable short little Italian waiter that looked just like Adolf Hitler. Poor man, every time he would walk away from the table we would get the giggles, but man he sure knew his stuff!

Faye

SEMO
10-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Faye, what a nice looking family! One of these days I'll figure out how to post a picture. First thing I did was scroll down to see if your shoes were in the picture. LOL

SEMO
10-01-2003, 11:15 AM
I've read this before and thought I would post it since we won't be using this thread much longer (I't October now) Somehow it seems fitting for our group at this time, I hold all of you dear to my heart.

There's one flaw in women,"..................
By the time the Lord made woman, he was into His sixth day of working overtime. An angel appeared and said, "Why are you spending so much time on this one?"

And the Lord answered, "Have you seen My spec sheet on her? She has to be completely washable, but not plastic, have over 200 movable parts, all replaceable and able to run on diet coke and leftovers, have a lap that can hold four children at one time, have a kiss that can cure anything from a scraped knee to a broken heart -- and she will do everything with only two hands."

The angel was astounded at the requirements. "Only two hands!? No way! And that's just on the standard model? That's too much work for one day. Wait until tomorrow to finish."

But I won't," the Lord protested. "I am so close to finishing this
creation that is so close to My own heart. She already heals herself when she is sick AND can work 18 hour days."

The angel moved closer and touched the woman. "But you have made her so soft, Lord."

She is soft," the Lord agreed, "but I have also made her tough. You have no idea what she can endure or accomplish."

"Will she be able to think?", asked the angel.

The Lord replied, "Not only will she be able to think, she will be able to reason and negotiate."

The angel then noticed something, and reaching out, touched the woman's cheek. "Oops, it looks like you have a leak in this model. I told you that you were trying to put too much into this one."

"That's not a leak," the Lord corrected, "that's a tear!"

"What's the tear for?" the angel asked.

The Lord said, "The tear is her way of expressing her joy, her sorrow, her pain, her disappointment, her love, her loneliness, her grief and her pride."

The angel was impressed. "You are a genius, Lord. You thought of everything! Woman is truly amazing."

And she is! Women have strengths that amaze men.
They bear hardships and they carry burdens, but they hold happiness, love and joy. They smile when they want to scream. They sing when they want to cry. They cry when they are happy and laugh when they are nervous. They fight for what they believe in. They stand up to injustice. They don't take "no" for an answer when they believe there is a better solution. They go without so their family can have. They go to the doctor with a frightened friend. They love unconditionally. They cry when their children excel and cheer when their friends get awards. They
are happy when they hear about a birth or a wedding. Their hearts break when a friend dies. They grieve at the loss of a family member, yet they are strong when they think there is no strength left. They know that a hug and a kiss can help to heal a broken heart.

Women come in all sizes, in all colours and shapes.
They'll drive, fly, walk, run or e-mail you to show how much they care about you. The heart of a woman is what makes the world keep turning! They bring joy and hope. They have compassion and ideals. They give moral support to their family and friends. Women have vital things to say and everything to give.

Pass this along to your women friends to remind them how amazing they are; however if there's one flaw in women, it is that they tend to forget their worth.

DNW
10-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Hi Everybody I am still here, and although my therapist, pastor, and people in work say I am doing great...inside I am not. However, I am putting one foot in front of the other and doing the next right thing and God and Bob will watch over me and help me get through this pain. I will try to be more upbeat in my next post, but since I feel so close to you all, I had to say how I was really feeling today. I love you all!

Semo: I loved your post about "woman"...it is so true...bless you for putting it in the thread...it made me smile for once today.

:grouphug: