UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #1  

Unhappy Emotional eater newbie!

Hello!

So I've been trying to lose weight for a long time, and becoming more and more frustrated and angry with myself for failing. I know that a huge part of my problem is that I eat when I'm bored and am extremely guilty of eating my emotions.

I know that having willpower is my biggest problem, I give in to temptation and laziness too easily. I decided that, this time, I need the support of something like this. Something to hold me accountable. I don't want to do a weight watchers type group as such, I just think the support is necessary!

Any advice? I need 2017 to be the year that I changed my habits and became healthy and motivated! 2016 was awful, I can't let that continue...
BoredNotHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredNotHungry View Post
Hello!

So I've been trying to lose weight for a long time, and becoming more and more frustrated and angry with myself for failing. I know that a huge part of my problem is that I eat when I'm bored and am extremely guilty of eating my emotions.

I know that having willpower is my biggest problem, I give in to temptation and laziness too easily. I decided that, this time, I need the support of something like this. Something to hold me accountable. I don't want to do a weight watchers type group as such, I just think the support is necessary!

Any advice? I need 2017 to be the year that I changed my habits and became healthy and motivated! 2016 was awful, I can't let that continue...
Hi! It sounds like I'm in a very similar place to you in relation to weight loss & motivation!
I've been trying to lose weight for years. I eat too many calories everyday and don't exercise nearly enough! I'd love to lose weight and feel good about myself but I'm my own worst enemy! I'm sick of staring off well then slowly slipping back into old ways!
I use any excuse to talk myself into eating naughty food or drinking wine! I'm currently a U.K. Size 16 and have a lot of fat round my middle. Even with the health risks of being obese, that's still doesn't motivate me enough to change. I'm not sure what I can do to change my mindset.
Rills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Hi!

I am actually joining WW later today because that kind of support is actually helpful to me. EVERYtime I've done WW, as long as I've gone to meetings it has been fairly easy to stay on track and lose weight. The second I decide I don't need the meetings anymore, it all falls apart. I think those weekly meetings roll around so quickly, it kind of satisfies my need for instant gratification. I can always think, stay on track, the scale is coming in just a few days...and it feels like a reward, not a threat, if that makes sense.

Anyway, also, boredom is hard. It is easier to replace a habit than to just stop doing something. If your normal boredom tactic is to distract yourself with food, get a hobby. Read a book, get out of the house. Do you do any crafty stuff? I craft, even while watching tv, and as long as I have a project going, I do not snack. I carry my little project with me everywhere, pick it up every time I sit down. I didn't even realize HOW helpful it was to keep a project going until I ran out of projects and suddenly, I was prowling the pantry again. Any little craft will do. I embroider because it's dead easy and cheap to get started (Sublime Stitching dot com has lots of neat ideas if you like something less traditional, and I do). I also follow a lot of cool embroiders on Instagram, which is inspirational.

Anyway, hope any of that helps. I'm rejoining WW this afternoon and then sorting through my craft stuff to get a project started. Wish me luck, and same to you!
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #4  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hi borednothungry I also suffer(ed) with overeating and boredom eating and am still trying to deal with my inherent laziness. One thing I have found really helpful to stop mindless eating is taking a picture of everything I eat..... I then collage them daily and weekly. Even without the collages though I believe it a great way to make you more aware of what you eat... if you don't want photographic evidence then don't eat it is my new mindset!

I am working hard to make my three meals tasty and nutritious too so I enjoy those and then don't want/need CRAVE the 'bad' stuff.

Exercise is tougher this time round, I am finally working to work everyday and home most days and am slowly getting more active before after and between this too.

Good luck and keep posting, I find this forum a great place to help make me feel accountable
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote