South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Default Welcome to the weekend 3/4 & 3/5

Yeah I have a true weekend off!!!
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning,

Went and saw the Shack last night it was very good. This morning, I am cleaning house (very clutter due to kitchen stuff still out) and need to run and get a few groceries. Nothing on the agenda for today.

Jekel enjoy your weekend off

Have a great day everyone!
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

Yeah for you Jennifer! I'm sure you have a to do list but I hope you can have some relax time also.

Good morning, chicks. We are COLD this morning; wind chills below zero today so I will NOT be taking my walk outside. It's quite a change from last weekend when DH and I enjoyed temperatures near 60*.

So today will be the normal weekend chores: laundry, cleaning, etc. I should also plan some food for the week.

Congratulations to you , Amy! What an accomplishment to reach that goal. I'm not acquainted with the mm lafleur bento box but my sister has ordered a similar thing from Stitchfix. Isn't it awesome to celebrate your weight loss with some new clothes!!

Hope everyone has a great day! I'm off to refill my coffee.
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #4  

Good morning been on the phone with work since 0630 (actually multi tasking right now). Ugh!

Pearlrose I read The Shack and loved it!!! Now you've convinced me to go see it!

Amy glad you had a nice visit with your sisters. I was away all week and came back .4 less than when I left. Believe me I did not stay OP at all. Today is back to my normal but I expect a blip up at some point this week lol.

I'll get to personals later as I have a lot of catching up to do today.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #5  

Enjoying a cup of soup and a hard boiled egg while catching up on posts. Pearlrose isn't it amazing how estimates can vary. I too enjoy a small hometown. Our population was roughly 3000 in the winter up to 10000-20000 in the summer. But that has changed, local law now prohibits summer rentals!!!! Big mistake as the town has greatly suffered. Very few businesses are surviving. Only a couple of year round restaurants, even the diner (which was an icon in my town) has closed its' doors. Neighborhoods have gone from cute little summer bungalows to run down homes with cars on the lawn. My childhood home deteriorated to this state. Makes me glad my mom hasn't seen it in years.

I loved spending time with HS friends this week. Nothing like old girlfriends laughing hysterically about like in general. Going to make a commitment to do this more often. It's only 2 hours and 15 minutes from where I live.

Debbie how did the cake turn out? I'm not sure what lemon curd is but the cake sounded delicious and sort of healthy.

Hope Ruth is enjoying the warm Georgia temps. We had some white stuff this morning but fortunately did not stick. Beth I think I am going to get a few hyacinths to brighten up the days here.

This morning I woke checked my work email to learn two of my officers got hurt last night. One has 4 compression fractures in his back, the other possibly a broken wrist (too swollen for clear x rays) They were attempting to arrest a subject, who resisted and took the officers down a flight of stairs which him. Fortunately the subject was arrested a short time later and is being charged with several felonies. I am so incredibly grateful the officers will be OK in time. The bad thing was the notifications that went out were vague. My Chiefs were upset as was I that the injuries were down played. As I told my sergeant this morning, wake my butt up for something like this!!!!! Great way to get welcomed back to work on my day off lol.

I did get some stress relief on the bike inside as it is way too windy and cold here!!!! Pearlrose glad the tornados spared you. Im afraid of really high winds too.

Coconut seems so happy I am home. I think DS stresses him out lol.

Have a great day.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #6  

Smile

Hi all! I just rejoined 3FC after about a 3 1/2 year absence. The reason why I rejoined is I decided to retry SBD. I bought all of the books years ago and I followed the food plan in 2008.

When I decided that my food plan needed a change this is the first one that popped into my head. However, I could only find the cookbook which was published in 2004.

I decided to start Phase I on Ash Wednesday. I felt that since I had been eating rather sloppily for quite some time (although still managing to lose weight mostly because of calorie reduction) that I felt it would be good to detox from sugar since I am Type II diabetic (not taking medicine yet though).

I belong to another internet weight loss site and I joined a Low Carb team. However, as you well know, low carb food plans have evolved over the years. Since it does seem that SBD seems to differ with many of the ones that 'others' are on I felt I needed to check in with those who are doing what I am doing so I could get the 'goods' from the 'source'.

My first question to anyone who wishes to respond is: is everyone following SBD as it was originally created or has it evolved over the years since its inception?

I checked the Phase 1 food list here and it seems to stress both low carb and fat free but again (this is coming from other sources) I have heard that doing both is not recommended especially the fat free. This is coming from sources who are doing the High Fat Low Carb food plans.

Right now, I am also tracking my calories (which is what I have been doing for the past couple of years) which I will continue to do while I am following this food plan. In the 2004 cookbook Dr. A. mentions to limit grains and fruits to 1-2 servings for Phase 2. Is this what most people who now follow SB in 2017 are doing?

Thanks again for any input that you can provide. I want to do low carb but I also want to do it in a way that allows me to lose weight but eat in a healthy balanced way.

Pam
TweetyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #7  

Hi Pam a lot of us who are maintaining live in what we call phase 2.5. I've kept my weight off for a few years now and for me I find staying away from processed food, white flour and watching sugar in prepackaged foods (granola bars, yogurt). I don't really keep an accurate track of how many grains or fruits per day I eat. I do know if I eat poorly I feel it big time! I tend to avoid gluten (my choice as I feel better) but refuse to give up pizza (lol I am from NY its in my blood). It's all about finding your personal balance. As of late I have been calorie counting as my portion control was becoming an issue. Also, I need to adjust my calories based on my exercise levels for the day. I use Fitbit along with Lose it to make sure I am eating enough. My "daily average" is 1400 calories on a normal day. My weight stays pretty consistent a few water weight pounds here and there throughout the week, but nothing that concerns me any longer.. Like I said before it is a balance.

I still eat fruit with a fat. I don't use fat free anything. I try to eat as close to natural as I can (except for pizza) and plan for indulgences. I was away last week for training and my portions and food choices weren't perfect. Not to mention I didn't exercise at all! I did make sure my water intake was higher than my normal. Tried to make the best choices available. I came back a smidge less than when I left. But I know in a day or two the scale will go up and then go back to my pre trip weight. Being in my middle / late 40's hormones like to have a hand in all this too.

SB works for me with my own little modifications. I really don't feel like I am missing out on anything I enjoy. Now I don't even want stuff (it wasn't real food anyway) that I used to use as a staple in my life.

Looking forward to getting to know you. Feel free to keep the questions coming. Having new members really helps us too to stay focused and accountable.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #8  

Good chilly morning to all!!! Nothing planned except a little grocery shopping. I found a recipe for gluten free Irish Soda bread muffins. I usually bake a few loaves for work. This might be an easier option. Otherwise just tackling little to do's all day. I did manage a little pampering yesterday and a nap. Have a great day!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good mornin', y'all. Back from Georgia and feeling rested and ready to crank up my life again. Just loved Spring warmth, flowers, gardening and good food with good friends. Not so enamoured of our current way below freezing weather but know it will improve.

The Parson met me in Ottawa yesterday morning , we had breakfast at Cora's - is there a Cora's in the States? - and then meandered home by early afternoon. I managed to not gain a single pound despite Southern hospitality which included mojitos and a "gracious plenty"of everything. We got a lot of spring gardening done and even had veggies from the winter garden. Relaxing with my two pals was just what I needed - no hustle and bustle of the cities and I spent exactly US$5 on a certain cigar for the Parson. (I didn't know he smoked but nobody is perfect!)

We now resume regular programming.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome back Ruth! Glad you had a good trip. Hope this morning's chilly temperature isn't too much of a shock; you are back in Canada, you know!

Yesterday was productive but I will need to get groceries and do some food prep today, plus I will try to get in a workout.

Jennifer, glad you had a good day.

Debbie, I suspect you are off to work this morning. Hope it is only "busy", not "crazy busy"!

Pam, welcome aboard and let me give you my personal thoughts. I've been maintaining for a couple of years. I still avoid anything white: sugar, flour, rice, bread, potatoes. I eat whole grain bread/crackers a couple times a week but also cook with nut flours to make breakfast muffins. I use either whole wheat pasta or pasta made with legume flour. I eat LOADS of veggies (usually exceeding the 4 1/2 cups per day rule) including things like sweet potatoes and very little fruit. I use low-fat (like part skim cheese) and good fats but not no fat. The food lists on this site are the most up to date, and if you have an old copy of the book it is worth re-reading. The basic principles are still the same. There is a long thread on this site about people's Phase 2 combo so check there if you want more food for thought. Personally I feel like my eating has improved greatly, although red wine and dark chocolate are my big downfall.

Ok chicks, off to refill my coffee and start the day!
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning, oh yesterday was a beautiful day, despite having to deal with a clogged drain (still working on it) took a break and went on a 6 mile hike with DD2 on hiking trail at a nearby lake, it was perfect weather for it. I also got the cleaning and grocery run done as well. Today might be a relaxing day, other than the drain, if I can't get it unclogged I will call plumber tomorrow.

Jennifer sounds like you had a good week in your hometown, it sounds like where my MIL lives, every time we go back another store has closed. Sorry that you had officers hurt but glad they will mend.

Pam welcome it is like Jennifer said I think most of fit SB to what works for us. I still have 10 lbs to hit goal but I seem to waiver between losing and maintenance right now (my food choices) but I stick to real foods and do not do low fat but am more about choosing real food and watching my portions.

Ruth welcome back, glad you had a wonderful time in Georgia, isn't it a shock to the system to come back to cold weather.

Debbie I got a couple of the bellybands and it has been working, she did wet it last night but that is the purpose.

Beth hope you enjoyed yesterday off and that the weather is warming up.

Have a great day everyone!!
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good morning everyone and welcome to Pam! Ruth, glad you had a great trip. Sorry about the cold. Birthdays were good. I will update later. For now I just have to get to work. LOL
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #13  

Welcome home Ruth!!!
Old 03-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

Height: 5'6"

Hi Pam! I think I'm the only person here actively losing weight. I too did the "original" plan, and it's pretty much what I stick to, though I believe now it's okay to eat carrots. For me I don't eat more than 2 carb servings a day - I have steel cut oats with a cup of berries most mornings, so I have either 1/2 cup brown rice, quinoa or couscous at dinner. For the fruit - again I have the berries for breakfast and a few times a week I do the vanilla smoothie from the book - 1/4c plain nf yogurt, 1/4 skim milk, 1/2 c frozen fruit, vanilla. I have some sf syrups that I put in sometimes. If I eat eggs for breakfast I'll have 2T PB on one piece of WW bread for lunch.

I viewed phase 1 as a cleansing. My husband was dx'd with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a host of other issues - he HAD to lose weight immediately. I knew this diet so we jumped on it right away. I ended up buying all the cookbooks and we cook regularly out of them. We do change the cuts of meats many times - my hubby worked his way through college as a meat cutter so he knows how to improve recipes without increasing the fat. I lost the urge for the potatoes and bread pretty quickly, but my sugar addiction is another matter. Where I'm fine without a baked potato, I continually miss things like ketchup, terriyaki sauce. Not all the time, just sometimes.

I wasn't crazy at first at some of the things - fake butter, fake sugar, and yucky tasting salad dressings. I hardly use butter now, so I use the real stuff. I do use skim milk. For salad dressings I mix up olive oil and different flavored vinegars.

I count calories, use a fitbit to track everything, looked up my bmr and calorie expenditure, calculate how much to work out, etc. What I discovered is south beach if followed to the letter is 300 calories at breakfast, 100 calorie snack, 400 calories lunch, 100 calorie snack, 500 calorie dinner, 100 calorie dessert. That's about what I eat each day. Why it works is the higher protein healthier foods keeps you feeling fuller longer.

I have a lot of weight to lose, so I started at square one to reset myself. If you don't think you want to start at ph 1, just start at ph 2, you just may have trouble with cravings for longer.
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #15  

Pam, how have your first few days gone? I did South Beach years ago and found that it really did eliminate my sugar cravings. Right now, I am at an all time high with my weight. Ugh. Am going to start Phase I tomorrow and am determined to make it through Phase I this time.

Colleen
cliffri is offline   Reply With Quote