Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - cooking for a single man

View Full Version : cooking for a single man

hefty1
08-30-2003, 01:37 PM
i need help with ideas to cook for one. stores don't small quantities of veggies and hate to throw half away when they go bad. any ideas would help.

:) glen

SuchAPrettyFace
08-31-2003, 01:11 AM
cold cereal + milk = bachelor chow :lol:

I'd say buy the smallest bags possible of veggies. I use my freezer a lot when cooking for one. I make rice/pasta once a week, freeze a lot of the rice and put the pasta in containers for later in the week.

hefty1
08-31-2003, 09:04 AM
thanks sapf. i could try freezing portion size veggies. salads are problem also, but i guess i'll' have eat them more often.

SuchAPrettyFace
09-01-2003, 02:03 AM
For salads, I suck it up & purchase them premade from the grocery store. Sometimes I will throw a can of tiny shrimps on top of a garden salad, w/fat free French dressing it's yum!

hefty1
09-14-2003, 10:36 AM
i've lost 8 lbs so far. any other ideas are welcome. cooking for one is pain maaybe when i loose wieght i'll find a girlfriend.

conway_1979
09-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Go to the market on your way home from work, and get one serving of food each evening. That way, your food is fresh, it really only takes 10 minutes, and you will not be tempted to overserve yourself. That way, you will eat in moderation, and also be able to eat what you want!

bandit2
09-15-2003, 06:17 PM
The bbq chickens at the grocery store (deli section) are great for suppers (have 1/2 & keep the other half for lunch). Easy to bake a potatoe in microwave. Also I buy fresh veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots) and break off some & put in plastic bag & microwave for a few minutes. This has saved me throwing out alot of veggies. Also canned soup - I eat half and bring the rest for lunch. I love leftovers - they are easy & tastey for lunches and save me lots of money since I no longer buy lunches.

Good luck on your journey!

hefty1
09-15-2003, 09:43 PM
thanks for the help. bandit where in ontario do you live? :) glen

SuchAPrettyFace
09-15-2003, 11:55 PM
Also, I would be lost w/o quart-size freezer bags.

When you are making frozen broccoli or green beans or whatever, just take out the amount you want to eat & bag up the rest in freezer bags. That way you can come home & just take out a bag & nuke it.

Same w/rice. I bag 2/3 cup in each bag, then squeeze it into a big flat square, and freeze them like that. (It thaws quicker)

bandit2
09-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi - I live just north of Oshawa and work in Richmond Hill.

Topaz
09-16-2003, 11:26 AM
These are all such great ideas! I hadn't thought of freezing rice, for some reason. I often want to cook different things for myself than for my family - we're all pretty picky :lol: and I'm the only one who is trying to lose weight; one family member is underweight, so it doesn't make sense for us to eat the same things all the time.

hefty1
09-16-2003, 10:38 PM
hi all thanks for the ideas. i make chili and spagetti sauce and freeze it. i also seperate meat portions.
bandit i live in north york and travel to brampton by bus to work. needless to say i am tired when i get home. how is everyone's loses going? :) glen

Shad
09-23-2003, 12:40 AM
Hey, the Chinese market in Toronto is fabulous and you only need to buy one piece of each fruit etc. The Lawerence Markets are good too. My biggest problem while there was to limit the portions - I could blame the shop keepers but hey it's my decision to buy. The fruit was out of this world. Yum yum.
If the supermarket doesn't sell in single lots, then try to request it from the department manager. Most supermarkets are happy to listen to suggestions.

hefty1
09-24-2003, 03:13 PM
the store across the street is starting to sell some smaller size in tin goods.
shad : did you live in to.
:)

Catrina
09-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Here is a neat site for cooking for one

Cookink for one (http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_16/tklcc.html)

Cathy

kari_berry
09-28-2003, 01:40 PM
My mother prepares a lunch every day for her Diabetic boyfriend, so when she finally got tired of staying up late, making him meals, she went out, and bought some "Glad Ware" containers, and each evening, when she prepared food, she would prepare enough to put in several containers. Then she would freeze them, and he could bring them to work, pop them in the microwave, and would have a good lunch.

You'de be surprised at all the foods you can freeze. I try to freeze EVERYTHING when I get a chance. My Fiance' hates it because he thinks that these things should just be thrown away, because they will be no good after being frozen. He is WRONG!

Skinny4baby
09-28-2003, 03:22 PM
hello hefty...I like to make a big low-fat homemade vegetable soup (made with lots of veggies and chicken) on Sunday and freeze about six small containers like mentioned above. I take out and put in ref. in morning to thaw (makes it taste better)..then pop in microwave when you get home and you are starving!..Serve with a small side salad OR 1 slice of whlole grain bread toasted, topped with low-fat cheese. This meal is hard to beat because it is sooo filling and satisfing and will be great with the cold months coming! If you need my detailed soup recipe...let me know and I will give it to you!...tootles

bandit2
09-29-2003, 11:26 AM
I ordered the Chinese mixed vegetables with shrimp & asked for it to be steamed with no oil & it was very good. Also have had them with chicken (a little cheaper). I got 3 meals out of one dish, one of them being my lunch today.

hefty1
10-04-2003, 02:42 PM
hi all
i going to make speghetti sauce today
skinny post the soup reciepe thanks.
thanks everyone for the ideas

Skinny4baby
10-06-2003, 12:48 PM
ok...with this soup recipe you can either use COOKED skinless boneless chicken breast OR 1 lb. of lean hamburger meat...of course the chicken is the better choice as far as fat content.

In a large soup pot....START with hamburger meat..cook til brown (before adding other ingredients) or cut 4 chicken breast in small strips and add to bottom on pot.

THEN ADD THE FOLLOWING IN ORDER AS LISTED..PUT BURNER ON MED.

~4 CUPS WATER
~2 PACKS LIPTON ONION SOUP MIX
~2 LARGE ONION (BROWN SKINNED)
~1 LARGE BAG OF MIXED FROZEN VEG
~1 SMALL BAG OF OKRA
~1 SMALL BAG OF BUTTERBEANS
~2 LARGE CANS OF CRUSHED TOMATOS

Turn heat to MED HIGH and stir frequently..ADD salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to LOW when ever you see a boil at top of pot. Simmer on LOW for about approx. 30 minutes.

It is always better to use frozen vegetables over canned. You could also use a small head of cabbage if you like. Just be sure to add to pot first after meat.

ENJOY!:D courtesy of my MOM

hefty1
10-06-2003, 08:39 PM
thanks skinny
glen

AquaWarlock
10-18-2003, 06:29 AM
the veggies from the frozen foods aisle may be good choice (i'm cooking for 1 here too). Most of the veggies are flash-frozen right after being picked off, so most of the nutrition and flavor stays when you cook 'em up. And frozen veggies can last quite a while, so you can only pick out as much as you need, retie the bag, then throw the rest back in freezer for next time.

As for salad greens (esp. lettuce), one way to extend the shelf life is to leaf them early, dry them up, and store in layers between paper towels (in tupperware, casserole dish, etc.). Lettuce stored this way can last a little over a week, and I'm pretty sure this will extend shelf-life for other greens too.