South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 08:23 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default The Skinnyon Fats

FYI - from the SBD newsletter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Skinny on Fats

What are considered "good" fats on the South Beach Diet?

Monounsaturated fats like olive oil and canola oil are Dr. Agatston's number one choice. Studies show that they can actually reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. They're also filling and make your food more palatable, which can help with long-term weight control.

Polyunsaturated fats like sesame, sunflower, corn, and peanut oil are also recommended.

Fats to avoid are trans-fatty acids (the hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils found in most solid margarine), and saturated fats like coconut oil and palm oil, lard, and animal fat and butter, which can increase your bad cholesterol.

While there are no specific limitations on how much of the good oils you should use, they can sabotage your weight-loss goals if you overindulge. Try sticking to a tablespoon or so with each meal, and monitor your response carefully. If you're not losing weight and you think oil is the culprit, consider cutting back.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:29 AM   #2  
In Control: E+R=O

Thanks for the reminder Ruth!
Old 08-30-2003, 08:39 AM   #3  
Mous

This is the first time I have used xtra virgin olive oil and I really like it.

Lady
Old 08-30-2003, 08:53 AM   #4  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Thank you, Ruth.
I have only been using olive oil since I began SBD. If I'm sauteeing, I just spray some in my pan with this little spray bottle I found @ a Kitchen Shop. When we have a salad (which seems to be every day) I mix a little with Balsamic vinegar and sprinkle over the top with some fresh herbs. My DH likes it, too.
I appreciate the information.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:27 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Thank you, dah'ling. I suppose I'd better eat that pound of butter and get it out of the house...
Old 08-30-2003, 11:32 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

What's the opposite of extra-virgin? That's what we use - cheaper and more flavour.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:13 PM   #7  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Dh says that the opposit is, "Extra slut." and "Not necessarily what I WANT in my olive oil." (I think he wants the oil ON the slut rather than the slut IN the oil!!!)
Old 08-30-2003, 01:56 PM   #8  
Work in Progress

My friend who is a chef made me a great butter to use in cooking my eggs. She took butter and mashed roasted garlic, cumin, green onions and then she refrigerated. I use it to cook eggs, I also add it to flavor turkey burgers or chicken in the last few minutes of cooking. Is this alright on SBD?
Old 08-30-2003, 02:18 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

Gee, Rowan - butter is a no-no on SBD. Sneak it in and don't say anything! It sounds just wonderful!

Den, did I ever tell you that your DH is a nutcase? I love it!
Old 08-30-2003, 02:33 PM   #10  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I found a wonderful LEMON olive oil at TJ Maxx....I never even knew there was such a thing! Very tasty in marinades or dressings. I used it to make hummus last week...yummm....
Old 08-30-2003, 09:31 PM   #11  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Ruth-YES HE IS!!!!! One of the many reasons i love him!!!!! (I'll tell him too, because I KNOW he'll be flattered!!)
Closed Thread