Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #1  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Fiscal policies as a way to encourage people to eat healthier

I was reading an article about France's new ban on unlimited soda refills... basically disallowing soda fountains in fast food places and corner stores. It made me think about how governments in general use their fiscal rulings to encourage people to eat more healthily (whatever that means this decade).

Think about pronouncements about what the Recommended Daily Requirements are, or the four food groups to the pyramid to My Plate, school lunch requirements and rules about what foods can be put in school vending machines, and subsidies of veg and fruit and taxes on sugar-laden drinks.

How much do these things affect how we look at what is "healthy" and what is not?
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #2  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Well here in the UK unlimited Soda only ever happens in random American style restaurants. It was the one thing that I loved about working in the states. Pizza Hut I think was the first place near me to do the unlimited refills.

We also get free school meals for young kids and they are aloud water all day to keep them fresh and hydrated. I think what France is doing is trying to take on some of the good habits that other Euro countries have already trialled and tested. The states could learn a lot from some other euro food trials. I think the problem the western world has.... is an overload on miss communication when it comes to food. Some people also seam to think that there is a magic pill to drop all excess weight. So id like to think that the government have a responsibility to make its easier and more understandable for everyone to live a healthy lifestyle.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote