Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Round 2: 173/173/155

Height: 5'3"

Default rewarding and beating yourself up

Do you reward yourself for your success and/or mini weight loss goals?
If so, what type of things do you do?

Do you beat yourself up when you give in or go off plan a little then go hog wild cause you think you failed or do you just take a deep breath and keep going?
wefrogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I last did serious weight loss five years ago and am only just back to it, but as I recall, the answers are No to both. It was a fairly peaceful process for me, without ups and downs. I was losing about 40lb,and if it had been more I can see the appeal of rewards at intervals. This time it's only 20lb.

Edit: oops, sorry, I didn't notice which group this was. Although I'll be forty in December!

Last edited by Esofia; 01-28-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #3  
=)

S/C/G: 230/219/170

Height: 5'8

I haven't reached my first mini goal yet, but I will be rewarding myself when I do, goal being the weight on my driver license! Haha!! (My reward will be something like a new lipstick from my favorite brand or inexpensive earrings)
You know, in the past I noticed when I would "fall off the wagon" briefly, it didnt have the detrimental effect I expected. So, I dont beat myself up anymore. If I have a weak moment it will be ok so long as that moment doesnt become more than a moment.
ThisIsMyRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #4  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I think that to be successful at long-term weight loss, you have to find a way not to let slip-ups turn into extended stretches of overeating, and not to indulge in orgies of self-flagellation. A person is unlikely to have long-term success if she can't get right back on plan after an off-plan event, whether that's a piece of cake or an indulgent vacation. And, she's unlikely to have long-term success if she's miserable from hating on herself all the time.

So, for me, I know I am really in the groove not when I never make off-plan choices, but when I get myself back on plan with the very next bite of food. When an off-plan event is just that - a one-time thing that I did mindfully and that is now over, not a sin or a crime or a sign of the diet apocalypse - it's time to get back on plan, no judgment, no moralizing, no penitence required.

I have tried rewards for mini-goals in the past but the truth is they don't work well for me. The very process of losing weight already taxes my power of delayed gratification to its limits - if I want a book or some music or a piece of electronics equipment or whatever other rewards people use for themselves, I'm just going to get it. I don't have the mental energy to tie those gifts to myself onto reaching weight loss or plan milestones.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Round 2: 173/173/155

Height: 5'3"

I don't have any real set mini goals and rewards, but when I hit my 20 lb loss I got a mani/pedi and bought some sexy panties from Victoria Secret. I was miserable at my highest weight of 190 and size tight 14 so it was more of I finally felt comfortable with myself at 170 and a very lose size 12 that I did those things because I felt good about me.

I did beat myself up a little in the beginning when i gave in to temptation, but got right back at it with the next bite. Now I don't beat myself up and even allow a little treat here or there on a holiday or birthday
wefrogy is offline   Reply With Quote