Old 01-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #1  

Default Ideal Protein Alternative Products

I know there are several threads about this, but I am overwhelmed with all the information. Also, they are old threads.

In general, what is a good alternative to Ideal Protein (for cost purposes)? I've looked at several and am leaning towards ProtiDiet, although it's not marketed as an IP alternative and unrestricted vs restricted products. Does anyone know if it's comparable? I do chocolate drinks for breakfast everyday and switch up the lunch packets. Is ProtiDiet's shake similar to IP, or do you use a different kind?
amanda0054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181.5/170/140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi Amanda,
I haven't tried the ProtiDiet chocolate drinks, but I use the orange mix and the strawberry kiwi mix. I also LOVE the vegetable soup mix and the caramel bars and chocolate peanut bars (both bars are restricted). The cheddar and broccoli soup is not great (IP one is much better). I can't say I've experimented much with their other products as I tried those few and liked them a lot. They will send a sample of another product when you order, so you can try a new flavor. As far as chocolate shakes, I do the premix from EASadvantage (bought at local grocery store).

After phasing off IP, I switched to Protidiet (and EAS shakes) for my reboots and lost just as consistently. This past year has been rough and I let myself go to almost my original weight, but after 3 weeks of this round of Phase 1, I'm already down 11 pounds with alternatives.

Check the Nashua website though, they used to let you choose a few free samples before placing your first order. That's where I found the mixes and bars I liked and have just stuck with them.

Good luck!
Snarfler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #3  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Find the alternatives thread and there is a sticky post that is at the top that gives you the guidelines for alternatives including restricted.

I use 4 brands from Nashua Nutrition - Healthsmart, Proti-diet, Proti-thin, and Weight Loss Systems.

I have not found a better hot chocolate than Healthsmart's aspartame free classic - I order boxes and boxes of it at a time.

I also use Quest protein powder but typically use just 3/4 scoop to get same amount of protein as in an IP packet.

EAS, muscle milk, Orgain have comparable RTD drinks that you can buy in a brick and mortar store along with Quest (vs online ordering).

Most products I have found as good replacements.

For me, there is no alternative that compares to IP soups.
And, I have not found any comparable alternative so far to IP Chocolate drink mix that I make chocolate cake from. I ordered Weight Loss systems and have yet to try, but I am optimistic they might be as they seem like a darker chocolate like IP's.

I don't typically eat bars so can't comment on that.

Overall, I found the Quest protein powder to be the most versatile alternative as I make pancakes, bread, waffles, muffins, cookies, cakes, shakes, pudding and ice cream out of it and I like the variety of flavors. Using that powder, you can make sweet or savory. And, if you are traveling, they come in individual packets too as well as the chips so portable as well.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #4  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Find the alternatives thread and there is a sticky post that is at the top that gives you the guidelines for alternatives including restricted.

I use 4 brands from Nashua Nutrition - Healthsmart, Proti-diet, Proti-thin, and Weight Loss Systems.

I have not found a better hot chocolate than Healthsmart's aspartame free classic - I order boxes and boxes of it at a time.

I also use Quest protein powder but typically use just 3/4 scoop to get same amount of protein as in an IP packet.

EAS, muscle milk, Orgain have comparable RTD drinks that you can buy in a brick and mortar store along with Quest (vs online ordering).

Most products I have found as good replacements.

For me, there is no alternative that compares to IP soups.
And, I have not found any comparable alternative so far to IP Chocolate drink mix that I make chocolate cake from. I ordered Weight Loss systems and have yet to try, but I am optimistic they might be as they seem like a darker chocolate like IP's.

I don't typically eat bars so can't comment on that.

Overall, I found the Quest protein powder to be the most versatile alternative as I make pancakes, bread, waffles, muffins, cookies, cakes, shakes, pudding and ice cream out of it and I like the variety of flavors. Using that powder, you can make sweet or savory. And, if you are traveling, they come in individual packets too as well as the chips so portable as well.
Thanks for sharing all this Ro! You are a fountain of facts regarding this weight loss program!!!!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

We have a FB group of 32,000 with all the information , documentation and guidelines you need to follow IP using alternatives. Visit us for info...

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-17-2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Removed link to another site
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #6  

Thank you all for the good info! I am looking into the alternatives you suggested now and also joined the FB group.
amanda0054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/236.20/150

Height: 5'4"

This was helpful for me, too. I am trying to find good alternative products.
Yayalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/140/110 (Lowest 125)

Height: 5'2''

Default Substitutes that Work for Me

Hi Everyone!

Just posting here because i have tried a few things that have worked for me through these amazing recommendations and lately i have been more on the health foodie natural track and reducing things like dairy/ carbs etc and focusing more on things like vegetables and alternatives proteins for health reasons (as recommended by Medical Medium)

In the past i have tried crackers and laughing cow cheese and it worked amazingly but i wanted to recommend to everyone "Flackers" - i was using it with the cheese at one point but wanted to reduce dairy so now i make a homemade dip of: red peppers and a bunch of other yummy things. (Recipe below) I used the Flackers + Dip as a replacement for breakfast and dessert and it has totally helped! It's only 2g net carbs per serving and no sugar! My weight loss hasnt been impacted by switching to more natural, alternative products like this. I totally feel like i am eating regular crackers without the guilt!

I eat 6-7 crackers at a time with 1-2 tablespoons of red pepper dip twice a day in place of breakfast and dessert. Alternatively you can use it as your snack but i replace my snack usually with RAW Meal Protein powder in vanilla which has worked for me wonderfully.

Link to buy crackers is on AMAZON - just search "Flackers"

Link to RAW MEAL (can use as either breakfast, snack or dessert)
Just search "RAW Meal Protein" it's branded under "Garden of Life"

Info:
ON-THE-GO NUTRITION: 20 grams of clean, organic plant protein with 44 superfoods including organic grass juices, fruits and veggies and 6 grams of fiber to keep you satisfied
POST WORKOUT RECOVERY: Help build lean muscle and boost energy with this power-packed meal replacement
VITAMINS AND MINERALS: This delicious vanilla protein powder is packed with 21 vitamins and minerals
MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKE WITH PROBIOTICS: Tasty, smooth protein shake with 1.5 billion CFU probiotics and enzymes for easy digestion
VEGAN PROTEIN POWDER: Organic, gluten free, Star-K kosher, vegan, dairy free, soy free, Informed Choice Certified (Trusted by Sport), non-GMO whole food protein

Red Pepper Dip:
1. Roast 5-6 red peppers cut up into thin long slices
2. Take red peppers out of oven after 35 min at 450 degrees
3. Sprinkle with cumin, cayenne, garlic, adobe (change as needed depending on your taste palette - i like spicy things with a kick)
4. Mix in 4-6 garlic cloves
5. Drop everything in blender (garlic cloves/dip/spices)
6. Squeeze juice of one lemon in
7. Blend until desired consistency reached
8. Pour into tupperware and let sit - it should be like hummus when you do decide to use

S/C/G: 170/140/110
Height: 5'2" Petite Asian Frame
*Most weight lost in 2017 was 45 pounds from 170 to 125 - currently trying to get back around there/less
KayD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #9  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0054 View Post
I know there are several threads about this, but I am overwhelmed with all the information. Also, they are old threads.

In general, what is a good alternative to Ideal Protein (for cost purposes)? I've looked at several and am leaning towards ProtiDiet, although it's not marketed as an IP alternative and unrestricted vs restricted products. Does anyone know if it's comparable? I do chocolate drinks for breakfast everyday and switch up the lunch packets. Is ProtiDiet's shake similar to IP, or do you use a different kind?
Hi All!

I'm on a reboot and I use these products.

I have a Proto-Thin RTD Chocolate Anytime drink in the morning for "breakfrast."

For lunch I have either HealthSmart Cream of Tomato soup, Proto-Thin Cream of Broccoli, or Proto-Thin Creme of Chicken Soup. I put sauteed mushroom, cauliflower bits, red pepper, and sometimes zuchinni in the frying pan, (+ garlic, Salt and pepper) and then add the soup. Yum!

Dinner: Regular

For snack I usually have a Health Smart Bar. I like the Fudge and Graham or Crispy Oatmeal Raison or Oatmeal Bards.

Sometimes I have Healthmart Protein Chips as a snack.

That's basically what I do. I order it all from Nashua Nutrition. If you join their Lifetime Diet Club you get 10% off every order - on top of their weekly sale. There is free shipping for orders over $69 and they always put a little sample in the box.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0054 View Post

Generally, proteins that fit to diet program is protein that contain low in saturated fat or cholesterol and should contain many essential nutrients. So, If you want to have a balanced diet, you have to select your foods that contain the requirements every day. It would be cheaper.
Though I don't know specifics about the nutrient levels suggested by this diet, but it basically sounds like the Daily Apple version of "Primal" with a higher emphasis on shakes. You might want to check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ for recipe ideas and motivation. The site is outdated, yet still you can use the search for plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayD13 View Post
Hi Everyone!

Just posting here because i have tried a few things that have worked for me through these amazing recommendations and lately i have been more on the health foodie natural track and reducing things like dairy/ carbs etc and focusing more on things like vegetables and alternatives proteins for health reasons (as recommended by Medical Medium)

In the past i have tried crackers and laughing cow cheese and it worked amazingly but i wanted to recommend to everyone "Flackers" - i was using it with the cheese at one point but wanted to reduce dairy so now i make a homemade dip of: red peppers and a bunch of other yummy things. (Recipe below) I used the Flackers + Dip as a replacement for breakfast and dessert and it has totally helped! It's only 2g net carbs per serving and no sugar! My weight loss hasnt been impacted by switching to more natural, alternative products like this. I totally feel like i am eating regular crackers without the guilt!

I eat 6-7 crackers at a time with 1-2 tablespoons of red pepper dip twice a day in place of breakfast and dessert. Alternatively you can use it as your snack but i replace my snack usually with RAW Meal Protein powder in vanilla which has worked for me wonderfully.

Link to buy crackers is on AMAZON - just search "Flackers"

Link to RAW MEAL (can use as either breakfast, snack or dessert)
Just search "RAW Meal Protein" it's branded under "Garden of Life"

Info:
ON-THE-GO NUTRITION: 20 grams of clean, organic plant protein with 44 superfoods including organic grass juices, fruits and veggies and 6 grams of fiber to keep you satisfied
POST WORKOUT RECOVERY: Help build lean muscle and boost energy with this power-packed meal replacement
VITAMINS AND MINERALS: This delicious vanilla protein powder is packed with 21 vitamins and minerals
MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKE WITH PROBIOTICS: Tasty, smooth protein shake with 1.5 billion CFU probiotics and enzymes for easy digestion
VEGAN PROTEIN POWDER: Organic, gluten free, Star-K kosher, vegan, dairy free, soy free, Informed Choice Certified (Trusted by Sport), non-GMO whole food protein

Red Pepper Dip:
1. Roast 5-6 red peppers cut up into thin long slices
2. Take red peppers out of oven after 35 min at 450 degrees
3. Sprinkle with cumin, cayenne, garlic, adobe (change as needed depending on your taste palette - i like spicy things with a kick)
4. Mix in 4-6 garlic cloves
5. Drop everything in blender (garlic cloves/dip/spices)
6. Squeeze juice of one lemon in
7. Blend until desired consistency reached
8. Pour into tupperware and let sit - it should be like hummus when you do decide to use

S/C/G: 170/140/110
Height: 5'2" Petite Asian Frame
*Most weight lost in 2017 was 45 pounds from 170 to 125 - currently trying to get back around there/less
Well, need to say it already sounds delicious! I'm probably going to try this, since both hubby and I love spicy snacks - so thanks for sharing.

upd: have tried it finally, that's really awesome! Hubby loved this mix as well!

Last edited by mintleaf; 08-22-2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: feedback added
mintleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:35 AM   #11  

Not bad brands Proti-diet, Proti-thin my wife uses in our menu.
Burlamendavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:16 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

I use only alternative products - with great success!!
cactusblossom is offline   Reply With Quote