Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 123/80

Height: 160

Default Cold feet

Hi! I'm not sure where to post this, so here goes.
I am 4 years out and had a DS. I went from 125 kilos to 59-60 kilos and have been stable for 2½ years. My only change is that I lose extra weight in Summer which I then gain again in Winter. But that is not my problem.
Even since the weight loss my feet are freezing, it actually feels as if the bones inside my feet are frozen. Also, when I'm in bed I notice that I hardly give off any warmth at all, so I can't sleep (in Winter) without my electric under blanket. During the day I have my feet in an electric foot warmer. It's just ridiculous. No problems in Summer.
I've heard that these cold feet are caused by weight lossand that's just fine. But what can I do?? I already wear several pairs of thick socks over eachother, but the only thing that really seems to help is the electric foot warming bag.
Any tips?? Thanx!!
ReneeFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #2  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Gosh, I wish I knew!!! Hopefully someone wiser than me pipes up. That's the one thing I noticed with weight loss...I get cold much easier!!! I compensate by excessive blanket use and cuddling to my husband. (I even make him warm the shower for me).

I have started to climatize to my smaller frame some what. I don't get as cold as I did at first...But still colder then before.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Have you both been checked for anaemia? Dieting can really deplete your iron stores. They need to test your ferritin, your iron stores, and you want your ferritin levels to be above 25, ideally above 50 or 75. Different countries have different reference ranges for what is considered anaemia.

Don't just take iron tablets, that's not wise. The amount in standard vitamin pills isn't enough to treat anaemia, and the amount needed to treat anaemia would be dangerous if you actually had high iron levels. If you get tested and it comes back borderline (e.g. in the UK they won't take action until your ferritin gets below 12, which is ridiculous), then it may be worth taking the therapeutic dose, but get checked first.

Plus there are various other things which can cause cold extremities such as low thyroid, which the doctor should also be running a test for. Having feet that cold isn't normal!
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

Whenever my weight is lower, I'm cold to some degree all the time, but the problem is really exacerbated during my menstrual period. I take mineral supplements and they help, but not as much as an electric blanket. I'll be checking this thread to see if anyone else has suggestions.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

By the way, I was randomly reading an article about someone who'd been on a dangerously low 500cal diet, and she mentioned that before she started it, her iron had been tested and her ferritin was in the healthy range, but after a few months on it, her entire iron stores had been run down and she was highly anaemic. So this makes me think that iron stores are something we should all be keeping an eye on, especially if you are on a big calorie deficit and/or having problems indicative of anaemia such as very cold feet.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #6  

Great thread.
lisawarren is offline   Reply With Quote