Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #1  

Default Only 24 hours down and frustrated already

Hi,
I started this program yesterday very hopeful, especially after everything I've read here. I did everything 100% according to the plan, and woke up today excited to see even just 1 lb gone, but instead, I'm up .2lbs and have a massive headache. Are there people this diet hasn't worked for?
Thanks for reading,
Grace

Last edited by Grace127; 01-13-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Grace127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #2  

One day is pretty quick to expect results. I think it took 2-3 days when I first started before I saw the scale move, but ended up losing nearly 10 pounds that first week! The headache is actually a good sign that your body is going into ketosis - which is what you want to get your body burning your stored fat. Make sure you get enough sodium and water to help with the headaches, thinks like pickles help with that as well. They recommend you only get on the scale once a week on this plan - as weight loss is NOT a linear process. Things like water retention, time of the month, not having gone to the bathroom, time of the day all can make the scale swing more than 5 pounds in any given day. Give it a week without getting on the scale and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised! Good luck!
mandela66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

Im on my 10th day and lost about 5 lbs....didn't lose the first few days... I go up some days, 6 ounces to a lb....then a few days later im down again.... I retain water on this diet and some people get constip too, soooooo.

You cant quit yet! weigh yourself in 7 days.....

take care
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Good advice so far!

Agreed- do not weigh yourself every day. It will make you crazy! Dedicate one day per week to be your weigh in day, and then stay off the scale the rest of the time.

Headache = keto flu. I would say 99% of us experience headaches and "flu like" symptoms as we are transitioning into ketosis and using up our carbohydrate stores. Even though the first 3 days are the worst, these symptoms are good because it is indicative of being on the right track.

You should wrap your mind around this now. There are going to be weeks with good losses and weeks with bad losses. Just because you have a small or no loss in any given week, doesn't mean that the diet isn't working. I can tell you from my own personal experience that there were weeks when I had a big loss on the scale one week but then the next week was a small loss, but I saw a dramatic drop in my inches. You should keep track of both and as long as the general trend on both weight and inches are going down, then there is nothing to fear and you should have faith in the diet.

Since this is your first week, if you are feeling very hungry or very bad keto symptoms, you are allowed (1) extra UNRESTRICTED packet per day. This is only for your first week. Another thing that I know people do is split up their 8 oz. of protein so that they can eat a little bit more often. This also helps getting over the hump of transitioning into ketosis.

Finally, as Lexi mentioned, my body reacts very similarly. I will not see any drop on the scale for several days, and then all of the sudden, whoosh. Then I stabilize again for a few days, etc... Oh, and 0.2#? Is really nothing to worry about. That is daily fluctuation. That is why we are saying to only weigh yourself once a week. If you cannot handle seeing daily flux (I can't) then don't step on the scale except for your scheduled weigh in. Many of us have the issue of not being able to handle the mind eff of daily fluctuations.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #5  

Thank you all! I'm getting my scale out of my house so I don't look at it. I will get weighed once a week when I go to get my food, so I think I'll try to just stick to that.

My headache has intensified 100000% and I feel like total crap. "Keto flu" is a perfect description. I literally just told my kids I was going to take a nap, because I felt like I was getting sick. Hoping it really is just the diet, because I don't want the real flu! The up side is that I am not hungry at all.

One more question, if you don't mind- Do you all take the amino acids? I just had the drink and my stomach is not too happy with me now. Is it important to have everyday?
Grace127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Yes, I take AA in my pre-workout drink. I have never taken them without heading into a workout, so I do not know what my reaction would be.

I feel confident that you are experiencing symptoms of keto-flu. Nap when you can, drink lots of water and don't give up. It usually takes me 3 days to "get over the hump".
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #7  

I jut had my first weigh in and I'm only down 1lb I'm going to start my period in a couple of days but should it effect it that much? I've been weighing everything I eat (in raw state) and following protocol 100% it's very discouraging
NewMamma16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

You period will sure as heck affect it! Water retention & puffiness is very common during our periods! Also for headaches be sure you are getting your sea salt/IP salt. This is hugely important, ketosis dumps sodium along with the extra water. Do a salt lick off your hand or eat a couple pickles/drink some pickle juice. Hugs, you will get through it. Nothing wrong with taking some acetaminophin/paracetamol if you need it.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 203/188/153

Height: "5'2"

There is a zero calorie Propel or Gatorade which I heard helps with the headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace127 View Post
Hi,
I started this program yesterday very hopeful, especially after everything I've read here. I did everything 100% according to the plan, and woke up today excited to see even just 1 lb gone, but instead, I'm up .2lbs and have a massive headache. Are there people this diet hasn't worked for?
Thanks for reading,
Grace
Dresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 228.2/228.2/165

Height: 5' 7'

NewMamma16 when I have my period I typically lose 1.3lbs but when I don't I lose 3.3 on avg so yes definitely a big difference!
KaraNoCarbs is offline   Reply With Quote