Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: January 9 - January 15

Yesterday's snow was only six inches here. Up to a foot fell in nearby places - we lucked out.

I think of you, Dagmar, taking the dogs out in this stuff. I assume that they love it when it's this clean and fluffy.

My challenge tonight is to spend an evening at a meeting where there will be snacks on the table the entire time. It's so hard not to nibble non-stop.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning!

Bill The dogs love the snow! I'm happy to be out in it for the most part, just makes driving and parking tricky.

I challenged myself to get through the 8-day long pet sit (ending today) without drinking any alcohol. This house is the one with enough alcohol to stock a bar so it's hard but I did it!

A good start to 2017 for me. Hope all is going well with everyone else too.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

We got about four inches of snow on Saturday.

I'm at that stage in winter where I've still got plenty of fight in me: I will get out on weekends, I will have a life, I will not sequester myself, I will not scurry straight home on weeknights without running errands.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Great job, Dagmar!

We don't have snow, but rain, rain, rain.... and more to come....

I drug myself to work as it would be more of a hassle if I didn't come-- there wouldn't be a sub for me, I would have parent volunteers show up and be ticked, etc. Plus, I had a million emails over break from parents telling me they had found lost books and would return them today. I even had a mad parent email me right before Christmas because he didn't appreciate the email reminder from me. He apparently tried to return the book on Christmas Eve and was mad no one was at school. He griped at me for sending the reminder when he couldn't return the book and denounced he wouldn't be paying the fines. Ummm.... first of all, the email reminders go out automatically once a books is at least 3 weeks overdue. Secondly, it clearly states there are no fines if the books are returned. I emailed back all syrupy sweet and ended my email with "Happy Holidays". His terse reply back was "OK".

I left dh at home sick in bed. He thinks he is going to work today but I hope he doesn't try. He's leaving for China on Wednesday and he really shouldn't fly there with his immune system compromised. This virus is nasty. I thought I was much better until I tried to get ready for work. It's going to be a long day.

The good news is my weight is down. We'll see if it stays there once my appetite returns.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I was in Texas for my BIL's memorial service. Temperatures never got above 28 IIRC. Friday had blowing snow. I'm glad to be home in the rain today. My brother, SIL and nieces had a hard time getting back to SLC from Dallas. Their plane was delayed several hours due to snow and freezing rain in SLC, yet when they landed after midnight, the temperature there was higher than in Dallas. Weird weather.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #7  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Weather thread eh? I'll check in - we had 6 inches of snow then 4 inches of rain over the weekend. It's a slushy frozen mess. They closed campus today (first day of the quarter) due to all of the cancelled flights. Now it's pouring rain with thunderstorms. I had an interesting walk to work this morning, with so much flooding. But now I'm in a relatively quiet workplace and may actually get something done.

The Pioneer Cabin tree fell down! It was an icon of the west coast, especially to those of us old enough to have driven through it. RIP "tunnel tree".
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #8  
Workin' It

I'll play in the weather thread. We got some ice and slush here, enough to keep things closed down most of the weekend and the kids in our county out of school today. DSS was just picked up by his mom, as DH couldn't take him to her house since his transmission failed in his car on Friday when he was coming home to avoid the severe weather. He was on the interstate when it started. Was able to get off onto side streets and take it to our dealer, but now we are down to one car.

JZJ - I'm sad about the tunnel tree.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Gotta chime in on weather. We've haven't had this much snow in 30 years, and it's sticking around. Carports collapsing, ice dams causing roof leaks, etc. Then it rains and freezes so parking lots become ice rinks. No plowing on side streets so nearly impassable for some vehicles. The only nice thing about all this snow is that we didn't have to drive an hour out of town to go snowshoeing when we are able to get out of the cul-de-sac. I don't have any indoor hobbies so I have major cabin fever. Right now it's raining on the piles of snow so it doesn't sound too appealing to put on the yak trax and walk.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote