Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #1  

Default Struggling to keep motivated to stop binge eating...

Hi there,

First post... although I've been a lurker for a while. Basically, I've struggled with binge eating for years and years now and despite my best efforts things haven't got any better. I first started having problems with food when I developed anorexia as a young teen, but then it switched to binging when I went into 'recovery' and could no longer put up with the deprivation anymore (or the unwanted attention it gained me). Anyhow, long story short, I'm still stuck with these bad habits and it just feels like another side of the same coin. I'm trying to eat my feelings away and ending up just even more miserable but heavier too. I don't like feeling ashamed of my body or my eating habits, but I can't seem to stop doing this to myself.

I go through periods of managing to control my food better, but it feels very restrictive and I often end up undereating accidently which then inevitably sets me up to binge. I'm lucky if I go to bed not feeling stuffed... I feel trapped in this endless cycle and I can't bear it. It's making me so depressed that I don't even like to leave the house, and I avoid seeing friends because I don't want to have to deal with food around them and/or I constantly feel sick and bloated.

So, I'm here.

I don't know if anyone can give me some advice on how to deal with this? I feel like I've tried every 'diet' or health plan... I try to eat right, with lots of fruit and veg, even if I'm overeating/binging. I also keep an eye on protein intake as I know that helps keep your blood sugar stable, drink lots of water and mainly decaffeinated tea. I probably snack on too much sugary food in between meals, but then I don't know how else to deal with my stress.

I hope that I can learn some ways to gain better control. I hate living like this... I feel like it's taken over my life and every thought seems to be related to food in some way. I'm always either thinking about the next time I can eat, or regretting what I just ate. There is no state of contentment. No inbetween where I can find peace and get on with more important things. I want my brain back! I feel like I'm going insane!

Last edited by blue_orchid; 01-04-2017 at 07:01 PM.
blue_orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #2  
I can and will do this!

S/C/G: Goal is to reach 170

Hi there,
I am so sorry to hear about your difficult struggles. Hang in there!
Here are some ideas, if you don't mind me sharing:
Journal what you eat. Sometimes just seeing in writing is enough to help us realize the bad choices we made.
Do you have a Fitbit or a phone app to track steps and weight? That might be another helpful tool.
Join an active thread where people offer and receive support and encouragement.
Could you maybe try and get rid of or have somebody in the family hide all the bad sugary stuff?
How about using almonds, cheese sticks, a high protein low sugar bar (Costco has some delicious ones with only 3 g of sugar, for ex) instead of the sugary snacks?
As for binge eating, would a non-food reward plan work?
Could you start with one or two days without binging and give yourself a reward such as a good book, a new hair product, anything like that?
With time, increase the number of days and the value of your rewards 1 week = a massage, or a mani/padi, or a. piece of fashion jewelry that wouldn't break the bank but you would like. 1 month - tickets to a show/musical/music concert you would like to see
Longer = work towards a vacation, etc.
As for weight loss: clothing can be a great incentive, buying new ones or just "shopping" in your closet for smaller clothes you haven't worn in a long time.
Watching motivational weight loss clips on youtube was also helpful to me. I would watch one and and get my bum on the treadmill after even if I didn't feel like it. It's one of those things: if they can do it, so can I!
Find a walking/gym buddy. Sometimes it is helpful to have somebody close in addition to having support online. Maybe somebody you could walk with or go to the gym with during your lunch break, after work, during weekends.
Use an exercise DVD or free ones off youtube like Zumba or many many others(so fun!!!) even you don't feel comfortable going to the gym or you can't join the gym.
I don't know, just thinking out loud here. Hope it's ok.
I don't struggle with binging but with being fat, having a much higher weight that I want or need and work on being healthier. I am doing low carb, higher fat, lots of veggies and water. It is the only thing that has ever worked for me. The sugar cravings (or any cravings) literally disappear after a few days. I am not suggesting this for you just sharing what works for me, as an idea.
If you want to, you are most welcome to join me and a bunch of other people trying to lose weight and stay accountable on this thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...ty-thread.html

I wish you the best of luck and don't give up!

Last edited by futurehealthyme; 01-04-2017 at 09:47 PM.
futurehealthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #3  

hey blue orchid!

I can relate so much to your story. I had a phase of extreme restricting when I was 15/16. I would eat nothing for three days and then go on a giant binge when I could not take it anymore. Then I tried to starve again with the firm resolve not to binge this time. Eventually I gave up on the restricting madness, I couldn't take the hunger anymore, but the binging stayed. It was like a switch had been turned over in my brain, I could not stop eating. I thought the problem would go away after a while of not restricting but I was plaqued by binge eating for years to come! But thankfully I found something that helped me, a program of living that enables me to stay recovered from compulsive eating day to day, as long as I put some daily effort into it. If you have a similar problem to mine, that is you can't stop eating even if you want to and it's more of a mental problem as well, then I could try to help you! If you're interested, I would be happy to try and help you! Please leave me a message or write me an email if you want to .

Love,
Bee
LittleB is offline   Reply With Quote