South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 06:59 AM   #1  
Mous

Exclamation What's to eat at the Beach DAILY 8/29

I am getting TIRED of the same ol same ol! Is it just ME or are you to?

I go to the refridgerator, which ISN't calling my name, and look at things and shut the door. Ten minutes later I am repeating this same action saying naw, I don't want that or that! So I go to the cupboards...hmmm popcorn, NO I really don't want that so why eat it if I don't! Repeat the steps to the fridge......

I know that this can be a "bad" thing because we might go straying into the NO-No's that we do have laying around for others to eat.

At this stage of my WOE I don't need a plan because I am "tired" of what I have planned!

I have been reading the labels of the SF things! YIKES! Only 10 calories, 15...I can therefore eat MORE of them and still stick to the allotted 75!

NO NO NO, Marcie..you can't do that.

I NEED H_E_L_P!

If you see YOURSELF here what are YOU doing???

Have a great day, and inspire this Lady.

{{hugs}}

Lady
Old 08-29-2003, 07:39 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I need a cook. I am so darn tired of baking and cooking for DH and for almost every community event. I want Oprah's cook to serve me tasty SB meals!

Can you tell I'm tired and a bit over-carbed? The refreshments at the meeting last night were mainly OP but Ev Thomas brought in her wonderful sour cream coffee cake and I succumbed. I threw the rest of it into the garbage this morning!

Busy day ahead on only 5 hours of sleep! I take dear old neighbour Betty to the doc in town for 8:30 this morning for her eye re-check. She had a cataract removed yesterday. Then I need to ice a cake and make 2 dozen eggs into devilled eggs for a party that starts at 5:30. Oh my!

So I'm outta here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whoosh!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:01 AM   #3  
Imagine...

Sign me up for the I need a cook program. My trouble is I don't cook so good. (or is so well?) I am going to try a new recipe once a week. The problem is, it usually isn't fit to eat. I am not very creative cooking wise so I can't just throw something good together. The only things I really now how to cook are not op friendly.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:07 AM   #4  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I can't help with the cook part....my DH does most of the KP (kitchen patrol) around here these days.

I do have a great cookbook to recommend...while it won't actually cook the meals it may give you some great ideas!

It is called Low Carb Meals in Minutes by Linda Gassenheimer. It is set up just like SBD, with the first part being phase 1 friendly, and so on. I have cooked several of the recipes, and I like the format. Plus it gives me new ideas which helps because I get bored VERY easily. My DH says it is a good thing that I have a job that changes every single day, and he's right.

Take care, and have a great day.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:07 AM   #5  

Good Morning:

I know what you mean Marcie, I do exactly the same thing at home ... open the fridge, close the fridge, look at menu for the day and realize I don't feel like eating of my planned foods but have no idea what I WANT to eat ...

It's getting the same at the supermarket ... I could have a million dollars and still can't find anything I FEEL like buying to cook for the week ...

Wish I had a solution ....... Ruth, can we share Oprah's cook???

Have a good day!!!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:52 AM   #6  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Good Morning, everyone!
Bored???? Never!!
My two hard boiled eggs and tomato juice are calling me!
And I'm only ending up week one.
Oh, well....off to Water Aerobics after that!
Talk to you later, SB buddies!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:55 AM   #7  
In Control: E+R=O

Good Morning Beach Beauties! I'm so happy, I'm not going to work today!!! I LOVE having a long weekend.

I hear what you are all saying about boredom in the same old food every day. My weekly goal for this week was to try at least one new recipe a week, and I've already tried a few. I bought a couple of new low-carb cookbooks last weekend (including the one franny recommended...which I love by the way), and have been pouring over them reading recipes. I'm not much of a cook either sflake, but the recipes that I've been trying are very simple and easy to follow.....if I can do it anyone can! I'm going to make a couple more new recipes this weekend, and I'm looking forward to doing that!

Ruth, good for you for throwing out the rest of that coffee cake!!! You deserve a big round of applause! Please remember to take a few minutes for yourself, it's especially important to do that when you're so busy!

Today I'm going to do some cleaning in my kitchen and laundry room. I'm going to clean cabinets and cupboards and refrigerator inside and out, and pull out appliances and clean under/behind them. Does that count as my exercise for the day?

Have a Fabulous Friday everyone!!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:02 AM   #8  
Imagine...

I think I will invest the cookbook y'all mentioned. Hey 2dog please come to my house when your done. I would say thats enough exercise for two days lol!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:19 AM   #9  
cranky & determined

Thumbs down

Sign me up for an Oprah chef time-shar What a blissful idea!

I'm waiting for a ppal to pick me up and whisk me off to the uber-discount market/discount club. I skipped my yoga class this a.m. - I was just too sleepy - three hours isn't quite enough!

We've got grey and humid skies here today - hope you have better weather and have a wonderful Labor Day weekednd - the official end of summer/start of the new season.

Last edited by operadog; 08-29-2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:31 AM   #10  

I have days when I feel like that too.

Sometimes when I feel like a change I have a look through some of my old recipe books. It's surprising how many recipies I find that are okay to use on SBD. I've also got Linda Gassenheimers book and like it too.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:52 AM   #11  

Thanks for the suggestion on the low carb cookbook!!! I too, am getting BORED, especially with breakfast. Sometimes, just the thought of an egg nauseates me. Yesterday morning, I ate a hamburger patty for breakfast. People at the office think I am strange, but I have to mix it up or I will get tired and quit. Also, since I am on Phase 2, I eat some of the Atkins products which are low in carbs, but taste like what Ruth refers to as "Frankenfoods". I am sure they are highly processed, but I only use them on occasion.

Ruth- Good for you throwing out the coffee cake!!! I would suggest putting it outside in the garbage bag. Sometimes if I crave something bad enough, I will even have thoughts of digging it out the trash. That is SO GROSS, but I have yet to do it.!!! It is amazing how powerful the sugar addiction really is.

OperaDog- Girl, you need to get some sleep. I am glad you skipped the yoga class..3 hours is not enough!!

2dog- enjoy your long weekend and do something good for yourself, NOT CLEANING the entire weekend. But yes, it does count for exercise!

Franny, sflake, nikkiloo, and anyone else I may have missed- Have a great weekend (especially if ypou are off on monday!)
Old 08-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #12  
Member Florida Chick

Thanks for the low Carb book. My DD also recommended it. She said it had a great minestrone recipe in it. I'm still working on some of the recipes in the SBbook. Especially sauces. Did the sauce to pour over fish. It called for white wine worsteshire sauce. Didn't have any and couldn't fine any, so just used white cooking wine in place. Turned out very well. Even DH liked it.

As long as I can have romaine lettuce to do something with I don't have too much trouble being bored with food. Actually, maybe that is my trouble I never get bored with food of any kind. I guess there are probably very few types of food that I don't like. Squid being one of them. And clams. Just like so much rubber to me. I wake up hungry and blessing on the mid morning and afternoon snacks from SBD, as they keep me from munching the day away.

Guess I am lucky, as I really enjoy cooking and take the cooking as a challenge.

Have a great weekend everyone. Ann

Last edited by Lizziepie; 08-29-2003 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:08 PM   #13  

When I get bored and start to prowl the cuboards and fridge I know that it's time to get as far from the kitchen as possible. I might grab the dog and walk or just go upstairs. That's my major danger signal and I'm finally starting to pay attention to it. Fortunatly my DH is a terrific cook and since he is on this journey with me it makes it much easier. JUlie
Old 08-30-2003, 02:10 AM   #14  

I am the queen of food ruts..lol
I get something I like and I can eat it all month.
I'm a goof...lol
Old 08-30-2003, 01:52 PM   #15  
Work in Progress

Ok, I have found some food ideas here, if the expert SBD would take a look at these and see if they are legal they are all very good dishes..

Here are two that involve eggplants:

Phase 1

1 small eggplant
1 onion
2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Rub the eggplant and onion with the olive oil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake until the eggplant and onion have both softened, turning once, about 25 to 30 minutes. Add the garlic to the baking sheet with the eggplant and onions at the halfway point, after about 15 minutes. Cool until warm enough to handle.

Peel the eggplant and the garlic and place in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the onion into quarters or large chunks, and add to food processor. Add vinegar, lemon juice, Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Pulse until combined. Pulse longer if making a dip. Add cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to eat. You can substiture basil if you don't like cilantro.

Grilled Eggplant slices

Sliced Eggplant brushed with Olive oil or OO spray
Grill them on a BBQ Grill or on a George Foreman's grill (can also be broiled but not as tasty)
Layer eggplant with lots of diced garlic, chopped basil and drizzle balsamic vinegar. You can layer it or lay flat and sprinkle all on top. You can serve over salad as a side dish. or in Phase II you can toast pita bread as chips. You can make this ahead of time,the longer it sits the tastier it becomes...Great as a potluck dish. It will be the first thing to go!

I have more an oatmeal frittata that is a Phase II dish. A summer squash Ragout that would be phase I or II.

I also got a great idea the other day watching 30 minute meals on Food TV she did a low carb day and she used the European Cucumbers and sliced them and then used them like crackers. She placed goat cheese and slices of smoked salmon on them. I tried that adding some capers on top and it was VERY tasty.

My friend is a personal chef (she cooks for the Hollywood crowd) so I have lots of ideas, if anyone wants more you can send me a PM.

Happy cooking

-rb
Closed Thread