100 lb. Club - New Person Here!

View Full Version : New Person Here!

Skinny4baby
08-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Hello Everyone!

Iam a 34 yr. old female who needs to lose lots of weight..and I think I have found the best support board ever!!...I have been a lurker for about 2 weeks:dizzy: ...and I must say I am soooo excited to be here!!..What a great group of people!

A little about me...(Am I suppose to do this in the beginning thread?)..not sure? I have been overweight since I was nine years old..Have been on every diet in the book..losing at one time about 70 lbs..and regaining it plus more. I am at the point in my life where I have said to myself Do you really want to be remembered as the aunt/cousin/sister who always had such "an unhealthly weight problem!" NO I don't!...I also have been trying to conceive for 11 months..with no luck...And I AM SOOO DEPRESSED/SCARED/WORRIED OVER THIS!!! I know if I get some weight off..it would probably happen..not to mention how much healthier my pregnancy would be.

So this MONDAY SEPTEMBER 1st 2003 (why do we always start on the first or monday?;) I WILL START THE MOST FIERCE BATTLE OF THE BULGE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!

I know with the help and encouragement of this board I can do it..Do it #1 for myself.....#2 For my future children..and #3 for my DH who is wonderful and deserves a healthy wife and a child!

Please send me all you infinite wisdom 100 lb members...I NEED YOU LIKE I HAVE NEVER NEEDED ANYONE!..I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS...My #1 problem is lack of motivation...I have the diet/nutirtion part down pat...I just need the courage to stay motivated....THANK-YOU sooo much for being here...I am sooo excited!... tootles...I am off to work!

synger
08-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey, Skinny! Good to have you here! You're right, this is a great group of people. And we're all over the board (no pun intended) -- just starting out, halfway through the journey, and maintaining our new lifestyle. I think this group is the ultimate in "been there, done that, have the advice to help you through it, too".

Post early, post often. It helps us get to know each other, plus it gets you in the habit of talking with your new "support group."

We're really glad you're here with us. /hug

mthrgoos68
08-28-2003, 09:40 AM
WELCOME!! It's great to have you join us!! You've taken a great first step by coming here and getting started. Do you have a plan that you are going to follow for eating and exercise?

I know what you mean, my husband used to say to me, "You can't be on a diet today, it's not Monday!" He was so used to me starting a new diet every Monday and being off of it by Monday night. Until the one time that it was different! I know this will be that way for you too. You will succeed and we will help you.

Post often!

glynne
08-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Hi Skinny4baby!

Just wanted to say hi and welcome (from another NC resident). This is a great group of people ~ encouraging, caring, supportive.
It is such a comfort to be able to share experiences with others who understand.

Jump in and post ~ looking forward to getting to know you!

Take care ~ Gayle

jiffypop
08-28-2003, 10:23 AM
hey there, skinny!!! nice to see you. and you're very brave for picking a HOLIDAY as your D-day! hey.. whatever works!

this is one of the most courageous, wisest bunch of people i've ever seen, and i'm honored that they let me hang out!!!

synger's right: post early, post often, and i'd also add: be honest. there's NOTHING you can say that at least one of us hasn't also experienced

suzie76
08-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Welcome! Please join us. The more you post, the more you'll feel right at home. Everyone here is very supportive.

Take care and join right in!
sherry

Athenaphoenix
08-28-2003, 11:09 AM
((((Skinny))))) Welcome! You can do it!

irishwings
08-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Howdy, Howdy and 100,000 welcomes to the board!

The people here are amazing. . .so open and honest. . .and you can find inspiration here just when you need it most. It's a regular font of wisdom ~ anything you need to know, you can just about always find it here.

Blessings to you on your journey! :D

AngiKL
08-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi!
There are several people here losing weight who also are trying to conceive. . .So, you'll find lots of support here.

I'm a little de-motivated myself right now. Let's get revved up together!

Sandi
08-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Welcome!! I'm so glad that you have decided to come out of lurker status!!!

The 1st think is something I always do as well. Isn't that funny! :D

What is you plan of attack??

As you can tell by my tag line, I too am in baby mode!!

Jillegal
08-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Welcome Skinny!!

You'll find lots of motivation here from great people who truly understand what you've gone through, what you're going through and how to get where you want to be!

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about hanging around here too often - it could lead to pregnancy :o :lol:

SuchAPrettyFace
08-28-2003, 01:47 PM
No kidding, I am afraid to drink the water in this place. :lol:

Welcome, skinny, jump right in!

Sandi
08-28-2003, 02:11 PM
When I pregnant with jacob, 1 girl got pregnant 3 months later and another got pregnant 3 after that!! Talk about afraid to drink the water!! :lol: :lol:

Jen
08-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Welcome Skinny4baby! Losing weight is the best thing we can do for our children or babies in the making!

When I was pg there were about 4 other women at my workplace also pg. We were all within a few months of each other. It was very weird but it is nice to know other mothers who have babies about the same age so you can compare notes.

dowsx4
08-28-2003, 03:35 PM
Welcome! The only advice i have is to try to get past the mentality of a "diet" and into a new way of eating for life. Dont try to do something you cannot maintain for the rest of your life. That was my former downfal was i always tried things i could not do forever. Good luck on the long and windy road to better health.

Skinny4baby
08-28-2003, 05:51 PM
:) Thank-You ALL for your posts...I am sooo happy to be here..cann't really explain it..but I feel a certain "warmth" when I am reading here??..must be the good energy coming thru! I could hardly wait to get home from work to see what ya'll (NC) had posted!!

THIS IS MY PLAN OF ACTION...I have ACTUALLY NEVER tried this approach before...I have always said to myself today I will start exercising, stop eating sweets (sugar), rice, potatoes..etc..etc..and it always has left me feeling overwhelmed so I asked my DH did he feel like I tried to hard..to fast..expected to much from myself..Did he see me that way?..and he quickly said "yes!" soooooo...my plain is to take one thing/action and concentrate on it for a week..then add another..I have come up with the following..please feel free to help me edit or add to my thoughts/plans..this was my first rough draft...but I need to get it in order ...September the 1st is fast approaching!

Week #1~~Practice Contious Eating..I can eat anything..except absolutely no overeating..In my mind this is NORMAL eating!

Week #2~~Begin to Exercise..starting with swimming at my local healthquest...then gradually working my way up to more strenous exercises..such as adding walking in approx. 4 weeks!

Week #3~~Cut out all SUGAR...cookies, cakes, ice cream but not beverage just food!

Week #4~~Drink WATER!WATER!WATER...eliminate all sugar beverages..sodas, juices!

Week #5~~Become CARB contious!...The plan for this week is not to eliminate carbs...but become aware of how many carb I am consuming in one day!

Week #6~~Incorp more Veggies...Is there more green on my plate than starches?

Week #7~~Incorp more fruits..probably staying with two a day..always eaten with a protein!

Week #8~~Change MILK to Soy or Skim!(I Love Milk)

Week #9~~Become SNACK aware!...Eat healthy snacks such as low-fat yogurt with flaxseed or almonds...small apple with no sugar peanut butter..or maybe a protein bar (Dr. Atkins)!

Week #10~~Eliminate the WHITE foods..Rice, pasta, potatoes...and corn, white bread! Eat 100% whole grain bread, brown or wild rice!

Week #11~~Eliminate ALL FRIED FOOD! (This one is really HARD for me...see how I let it be #11):nono: :nono:

Week #12~~Substitute some meals for a liquid shake...I would only use one..I have researched and researched..A good one is The Ultimate Meal..high in vitamins..and it is a TRUE meal replacement! This is not a must on days..but I thought it would give me a healthy option...I can also add my two fruits and soy to this drink.

So what do ya'll think?...I really hope this approach works!..It makes sense when I really think about it..And I really am going to work on this becoming my LIFE WAY of eating...and I know that I will not always ELIMINATE all these things above everyday..but I sure can aspire to do it most days....I am human...and I have a problem with food...but just because I eat something that is not perfectly on plan..does not mean I can not begin immediately with the next meal doing GOOD again!..this has always been one of my main problems in my thinking..you ate something BAD...oh well! guess you just BLEW it! I have to learn there are no BAD foods...Eating is such mind work!...Lord please help me!....Thanks again..I am soooo happy!:)

Amanda Panda
08-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Another welcome to you Skinny:)

It's great that you are joining us, you sound so positive and excited in your post and thats great!

Taking control of your eating is the best thing you can do for yourself and your future children. These forums are great and a wonderful source of support and advice - checking in daily really keeps me motivated.:cb: :cb: :cb:

I've just read your plan and it looks great! Like you say, trying to change the habits of a lifetime all at once can be overwhelming and lead to failure - you've got to work at a pace you can cope with and that suits you. I really think you've got the right idea and your plans will really help you ( rather than just being vague about your intentions).

Take it one day at a time and you'll get there:strong:

Good on you Skinny, your positivity is great and I can feel it rubbing off on me, so you're already helping others too!:grouphug:

Amanda xx:

Sheila53
08-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Welcome! That's great that you're trying to change your habits over time rather than all at once. Too much at once can be so overwhelming!

Post often--I look forward to hearing how you are doing on your journey. I recommend the challenges, too. Even when I don't meet my challenge goal, I find them very motivating.

kfs151
08-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi Skinny and Welcome Aboard!

Just a couple of thoughts....

I'd vote for moving the water drinking higher on the list. It has so many health benefits and it fairly easy to get in to. After a day or two, you miss the water if you don't get it and it gets easier and easier to drink 64 oz ++.

Also, from what I've read and experienced myself you are totally on the right track to make your changes (whatever the order) one at a time and make one change a habit before going on to the next change. A week between major changes may be too quick so give yourself time to adjust to each change so you don't get overwhelmed. I want to say that I read somewhere that the average person could only make 1-3 meaningful changes a year and make them stick. Of course, if one of these changes is "food" that covers a wide range :lol:

I really took that to heart last year and the big change I made was committing to exercise 3-6 times per week, no excuses. After 3-4 months, I felt like it was really part of my routine. I didn't change anything else and didn't lose any weight but I felt better. After 4 months, I changed my eating habits and have finally started losing weight and I'm sticking with both my exercise and my eating plan.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

motorcyclemom
08-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Hi everone, Sheila here... I have also been lurking around for about 2 weeks also. Do you kind folks have room for one more. When i started my weightloss journey I wasat 255 lbs with aprox 115 lbs to lose. I am now at 210 or so. I am starting a new program next week and looking for a nice bunch of ladies to chat with and get to know.

Gardenwife
08-28-2003, 10:01 PM
When I pregnant with jacob, 1 girl got pregnant 3 months later and another got pregnant 3 after that!! Talk about afraid to drink the water!!

But we're supposed to be drinking lots of water! Warn me so I can get my water elsewhere, okay? ;)

jiffypop
08-28-2003, 10:52 PM
great goals, skinny... one suggestion, though. we 'not so light' people need more water when we exercise than others, so i second kim's suggestion of moving the water up higher on the list, no lower than second.

and maybe move the fruit goal up to before the cutting out sugar goal. and that's because eating fruit can actually cut the desire for sugar in some folks [of course, for others, it makes them want sugar, but let's hope that doesn't happen with you!]

you've set some really reasonable steps here. someone at work says that it takes 21 days for somethinbg to become a habit. you're gonna do just fine!!!!!

AND WELCOME to motorcyclemom!!!!!

Dolphingirl
08-28-2003, 11:11 PM
hello,
I am kind of new here. I been lurking a lot. I am too loosing weight to have a baby. Well I am loosing weight to be overall healthy.

I just want to say that everyone on this board is very supportative and I hope this can be my home too :)

Amanda Panda
08-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the 100lb club! :wave:

Jump right in - there are loads of great people here with lots of good advice, support and motivation. It's certainly helped me keep positive and focused since I joined a few weeks ago.

We are all in the same position and all take it one week (or day) at a time. Well done to you both on your weight loss so far..... we can do it!:angel: :angel:

Amanda xx

Dolphingirl
08-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Thanks Amanda!! :D

SuchAPrettyFace
08-29-2003, 12:21 AM
I'd like to welcome everyone new & say for skinny: don't forget to watch the sodium. It sneaks up on you in the things you don't even think have it.

missaprylj
08-29-2003, 01:40 AM
Welcome all of you new, beautiful people! :D You came to the greatest place on earth for weight-loss support. The people here are motivating, wise, honest, loving, and really deeply care how you are doing. Post a lot a lot.... we like talkative people! -Apryl

AngiKL
08-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Hi Sheila and Dolphingirl! Welcome!