Old 09-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

Default Help Needed - Do I stay on IP?

Need some help here. Since January I had been doing Atkins and lost 50 pounds. I got off track in July - was eating whatever I wanted, which apparently wasn’t all that bad as I still lost 1 pound for the month.

At the start of August I decided I needed to get back on track. I tried for 3 weeks, but couldn’t get back into Atkins. So I decided to go back to IP (which I had done before) as I know it works and works well and for me the weighing in to someone every week helps as well as in my head I know I am spending that much money I am not going to just toss it down the drain. I was planning on using it to lose 40 pounds of the remaining 90, and the reevaluating at that time.

My first day back on program was Aug. 22nd. Weighed in that Saturday (8/27) and lost 5 pounds (which was the weight I put on the first 3 weeks of August). In the 3 weigh ins since I have only lost another 1.6 pounds. Now, being honest, 2 of those weeks, the day I weighed in, I over indulged greatly and ate all my restricted in one day. My fault – I get it. I couldn’t keep the carb cravings under control. I decided that I will give IP another 3 – 4 weeks of staying on 100% percent and then make a decision.

So I weighed in this past Saturday and have been on 100% OP down to every detail. I’ve stayed off the scale all week as well. Official weigh in is tomorrow. This morning I wanted to get a sneak preview – thinking I will see at least a pound loss – maybe more. I weigh exactly the same as last Saturday. Exactly the same. So why am I spending $90 a week on food when I am not even losing weight?

If this was your experience what would you do? Would you go back to Atkins, knowing you had success with it, never felt hungry and didn’t have any cravings; or stay on IP where you have to not get any restricted items (as I can’t stay away from them) and am always a little hungry and am struggling to lose weight.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #2  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

You say you tried in August and just couldn't get back into the Atkins program. Will it be different now? It is disappointing to stay on IP and not see a loss this week, but because of your detour with food, that could still be the culprit.

I would stay on IP as you stated for another 3-4 week without going off that plan and see what happens.

I am a binge eater, now on WonderSlim, and am satisfied. But I know if I deviate from my eating program, I am going to have to pay the consequences. I like the fact that I have no desire to eat sugared items (guess in a mild ketosis) and I don't want to screw that up!

Keep us in the loop. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at next week's weigh in!

Joyce

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 09-16-2016 at 03:52 PM.
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176.4/168.4/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat117 View Post
Official weigh in is tomorrow. This morning I wanted to get a sneak preview – thinking I will see at least a pound loss – maybe more.
I think you can be surprised the difference one day can make on the scale. Water water water for the rest of the day/evening! If you are indeed exactly the same tomorrow, I would bet that another week of 100% OP, this week will catch up with you - in a good way!

I vote for sticking with IP! You've already identified a weakness - restricteds - and are acting upon it. Again, my vote is for sticking with IP as planned! GOOD LUCK and check back in tomorrow!
Lynn Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Post a sample daily menu.

Are you drinking at LEAST 64 oz water (hopefully kore)? Adding in 2 tsp oil daily?

Are you measuring for inches lost?
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Let me make sure I am following this...
- 26(ish) weeks on Atkins and you lost 50 pounds? So approx 2 pounds per week
- you currently still have about 100 pounds to lose?
- In 28 days on IP, you've lost a total of 6.6
- BUT, for the last 2 weeks, the days you've weighed in, you've ate 6 or 7 restricted products the night before...?

Atkins was too unstructured for me - I needed a plan like IP to be successful, so mentally I was able to tell myself 'no' when I wanted to eat something off-plan. Yes, 100% adherence is best, but on those super-hangry days, I would have an extra packet or 2...generally started with an unrestricted and if that didn't work, figured an extra restricted was better than going face-first into the peanut butter jar....but 6 or 7 restricted products really adds up - thats an extra 1,000 - 1,300 calories & yes, I believe is the major issue

Some thoughts...
- IP WORKS when adhered to & if there are no underlying medical reasons hindering your weight loss (un-medicated hypothyroidism, adrenal fatigue). Have you had blood work recently to rule out these issues?
- the plan is designed to work, and removing ALL restricted products is asking for trouble, especially as you get closer to your goal weight. Plus, you limit yourself as far as choices and boredom can lead to off-plan eating. Maybe try restricted products you don't enjoy as much and would be less temptation.
- binge eating will continue to be an issue on ANY eating plan if you don't address the root cause(s)

End of the day, only you can decide what is right for you in the long run, but I feel like there are other issues that need to be addressed for continuing success on any plan...
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

I have decided that Ideal Protein is just way too expensive for me to do, considering I am only losing a pound or so a week and can only use a few of their products (due to gluten issues). I feel that I have kicked the sugar habit and am going to either do IP with alternative products or go back to Atkins. With the ideal protein, I am hungry constantly, having issues with the restroom, am not losing weight unless I end up taking a laxative at the end of the week and am eating all chemicals. With Atkins I am eating real fresh foods, am never hungry, drop weight consistently and do not have any bathroom issues at all, and is so much more affordable. So, I will go weigh in this weekend, pick up a few of my favorite products and tell them I will be out of town for a couple of weeks and then not go back. I would probably feel different if they were supportive but this particular office doesn't give a hoot and the woman who is doing it knows nothing about the program - keeps trying to sell me stuff with gluten even though there is a huge orange sticker on my folder that says gluten free. Just to many issues with them that I cannot move past and to spend $85 a week to lose 1 pound (if I take a laxative the day before weigh in) is just so not worth it. I can use the Proti-Thin products and Pure Protein products for 1/3 of the cost - and lose more weight.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Best wishes - not sure if you are a member or not, but there is a fairly active forum for low carb / Atkins - google "active low carb forum"
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #8  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Sorry things have not gone as you would like them to with IP -- whether you follow the program with alternatives or go back to Atkins, pick a plan and do the work.
I am on a serious reboot myself and it took me 4 months to get my head together to be real, pick a plan, and follow it.
You can find some excellent motivation with some online podcasts I found by Elizabeth Benton - she has a website - primalpotential.com - and she has a FB page. I highly recommend her approach to winning the mind game when it comes to fat loss.

Last edited by oneuh2; 09-27-2016 at 07:08 PM.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote