Old 08-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #1  
Jill

S/C/G: 292/250.4/175

Height: 5'6

Default Determining Goal... what's your answer?

I'm 41 and have been overweight my entire adult life! This leaves me scratching my head a bit. What should my goal be? Ultimately, I want to be healthy but ask 15 different people what's a healthy weight and you'll get a good 12....if not 15.....different answers!

So, how do you do it. BMI? Ask your doctor? What feels good? What looks good? Oh, that's a good one! I don't know about you, but my 41 year old, I've had 3 babies, and I'm well over 100 pounds from my heaviest weight 165 lbs (that's my goal, as of now) ain't gonna look even close to my 17 year old, day of high school graduation, 160 lbs!

I'm really struggling with what needs to be my "finish line". I would LOVE to be in a 8-10 jeans (in a 14 now....or 12 if I don't need to take any deep breaths, sneeze of bend over) but even that is hard to determine....thanks to this LOVELY extra skin that I have!

Just curious what everyone else is doing to decide on a goal!
Jb1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #2  
lovemylife001

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7

Jb1975

Just wanted to stop by and say hello! Here is the link for a BMI calculator www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html . My doctor actually told me how much weight she wanted me to lose last year. That's when I signed up for this site and started my journey.

When I had a annual physical this February my doctor was really pleased. She told me all the health risk of being over weight and I knew I had to listen and change my life. This is a life long journey as maintenance is very challenging and you really have to stay on top of exercise and eating habits, at least that's how it is for me. I would say consult with your physician. Good luck to you! And you're doing great

Last edited by lovemylife001; 08-31-2016 at 11:13 AM.
lovemylife001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Well, originally, I just was trying to get to "normal" BMI. Just to have a number to strive for, not because I put any stock in BMI. So that's the number I use. But it really isn't hard and fast to me. I really only use the scale as a easy judge of progress. I don't really care about the number itself. I mean I could weight 2000lbs and if I was the size and shape I like I wouldn't care (the furniture might, and they might want to harvest the adamantium from me, but aside from that, lol).

I think your goal of getting to 165 is a great one. And look at how much you've lost already! You are clearly doing a great job.

I would like to point out, and I hope this isn't discouraging, because I don't mean it that way. But there really isn't a finish line. Even if you hit your magic number, you won't be able to just stop and maintain without effort. So try not to worry about that part of it now, just work on the process.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #4  
Jill

S/C/G: 292/250.4/175

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post

I would like to point out, and I hope this isn't discouraging, because I don't mean it that way. But there really isn't a finish line. Even if you hit your magic number, you won't be able to just stop and maintain without effort. So try not to worry about that part of it now, just work on the process.
Oh, I know it will be a lifelong thing, maintaining my weight.

As far as BMI, I've had a few doctors that have told me what they feel would be a healthy weight and it's ALWAYS been over a "normal" BMI. In fact, I haven't been in a "normal" range since about 10th grade.....and barely then. But, I was thin. That's what's kinda got me scratching my head on where I need to stop, as far as losing. I'm not sure I'm going to look or feel good at, say, 135 (middle of the normal range) when I was 145-150 in the 9th grade. And I wasn't chunky then.
Jb1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/135/125

Height: 5.5 feet

Hi there, I would go ahead with what your Dr suggests and then maybe see how you feel from there.
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 317/*tracker*/165

Height: 5'9

I struggle with this answer as well. I just want to be healthy, active, and look good in my clothes. I want to be able to dress freely without worrying if I put my hands in the air, will my belly show? I want to be able to buy cute lingerie and surprise my husband. I want to be able to do things and hike and enjoy life. I don't want to be a slug.
But what number goes with that? I don't know. I could change it in the future. I could not push all the way to my goal of 165 if I am toned and active at 180. wHO KNOWS?
I just want to be health and feel good!!
nikkinicole is offline   Reply With Quote