South Beach Diet - Stuck -- Why?

View Full Version : Stuck -- Why?

Homeschoolmom
08-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Hi,

I'm new to SBD. I just finished week 2 and lost only 4 lbs. in week 1. I did not lose any in week 2 but have stayed the same.

Why am I hitting a plateau so soon? I have not cheated but am beginning to get frustrated. I keep telling myself that at least I haven't gained and my weight is better than it was 4 lbs. ago. But hey, I want to lose more!!

Anybody got any ideas? :shrug:

I'm about to panic!!

Thanks for listening.

TJ
165/161/145 or less

Ruthxxx
08-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Hi TJ and welcome to The Beach.

Four pounds is not to be sneezed at but I can understand your frustration. Don't panic! Most of us have been there!

How about posting menus with quantities for a day or two? Maybe the smart Beach Beauties can spot something. Are you using www.fitday.com to check out your calories? Sometimes eating too little can stall you.

Relax! Help is at hand.

dentrassi
08-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Also, the more you need to lose the easier it comes off at the beginning. With 20 or 30 pounds to lose, you have lost a pretty big percentage of your weight by losing 4 pounds. I lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks, but PERCENTAGE wise that is less weight than YOU lost!!!

ellis
08-25-2003, 10:55 AM
TJ, don't despair. I started out needing to lose 65 pounds, and only lost 5 the first two weeks on Phase I. I actually lost more on Phase II the following two weeks!

Suzanne 3FC
08-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Most of the weight lost in the first 2 weeks is actually excess water. Dr. A. recommends only 1 to 2 lbs per week weight loss thereafter, which is also the recommendation by major health organizations.

You may not have had a lot of excess water to lose, particularly if you have already been dieting before starting SBD. 4 pounds in 2 weeks is a wonderful loss! Many people will lose some one week and none the next, with any weight loss program. I wouldn't worry, at least not this soon :) It's not really a plateau yet, unless you stall for several weeks. Next week may show another loss!

Good luck :)

LADY WINDSONG
08-25-2003, 03:31 PM
I am losing at a slow rate as well in Phase 2, but I will take any loss and some weeks I have stayed the same. 1/2 pound a week is GREAT for me AND I am eating!
THINK health

Marcie :flame:

Deets
08-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi, everybody! ;) This is my first time to post. I just started South Beach yesterday. I ordered the book from Amazon and will receive it in a day or so. In the meantime I have learned so much from reading what you all are experiencing on the diet. Thanks for all the tips. I am full of questions, and my head is spinning :dizzy: from all the information. I really am not as hungry nor do I miss carbs as much as I thought. I have 10 or 12 pounds that I want to lose. I hope I can manage this!:^:

ReachingZen
08-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi TJ,

I lost 6#s in wk 1 and 0 in wk 2. I stayed on P1 another wk and lost another #. When I started P2, I lost more. It is frustrating but it just takes time.

Increasing your activity and drinking even more water will speed things up. I know ... same thing that we hear over and over ;-)

Good luck
darlene

LADY WINDSONG
08-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Welcome to the newbie. Post often and ask away.

Lady :flame:

Homeschoolmom
08-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks so much for replying to me plea of frustration. Guess what, I finally lost another pound this morning!

I guess I'm so anxious to lose this weight, I can't stand to weight it out. :) After we had our 2nd child, my husband and I started together last Sept. to lose weight. (My husband has been slim all his life until he hit his mid-30s and then gained about 30 lbs.) He went on slim-fast and has lost about 22 lbs. I did like I always did before to lose weight (WW), but this time it didn't work. I guess my metabolism needed something different. Of course, I'm approaching 40 in a couple of years and I know that doesn't help. Anyway, so now I'm doing this.

I was so excited that after a year of struggling between WW and slimfast w/ no results, I was finally making progress. I quess I panicked when it stalled so early in the game.

Thanks again for the encouragement. You all are great!

TJ

165/160/145 or less

ellis
08-26-2003, 10:10 AM
woo hoo, TJ!! :hat: Congratulations!!!