Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat June 13 - June 19

Major step forward with my new Nissan Leaf. I figured out how to make it stop beeping the horn when I opened the door. It's such an improvement.

Got a little more walking done yesterday; the weather and schedule has kept me more housebound than I like. And worse, I so like driving my electric car that I look for excuses to drive when I normally look for excuses to walk.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Major step forward with my new Nissan Leaf. I figured out how to make it stop beeping the horn when I opened the door. It's such an improvement.

Got a little more walking done yesterday; the weather and schedule has kept me more housebound than I like. And worse, I so like driving my electric car that I look for excuses to drive when I normally look for excuses to walk.
Take the time to enjoy the new Leaf Bill. It sounds like a really "fun" car.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #4  
in development

JayEll:
Quote:
What an awful day this is.
Dreadful, dreadful. How are you doing, JayEll?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I keep thinking we need to always remember to take time to tell our loved ones we love them. I know we all say that, but really to do it. You just never know.

Last week here, there was a high school senior graduating and going to play football at Cal Poly. The night before graduation, he was at a pool party, dove into the pool and is now paralyzed from the neck down. I can only imagine the heartache he and his family are experiencing.

And then, to wake up to the Orlando news. I couldn't stop watching. I would turn it off and go to do something, just to turn it back on and watch more. So tragic. By evening, I was worthless. I bumped my head on my car door and just started crying.

My weight is up 2 pounds today. Who cares though? Does it really matter? No.

My hubby comes home tomorrow. My dd comes home Wednesday. I can't wait to give them big hugs. Then I go to Houston on Friday to help older dd in her new home. Lots of hugs planned.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #6  
Workin' It

Michele - I'm so sorry to hear about that boy's accident. And I was the same way yesterday. I kept reading the news and was teary all day, then cried a little during the Tony awards. This morning I went for a run and didn't realize I was crying until a man stopped with his dog to ask if I was okay. Glad your people are coming home soon.

Bill - the beeping opening the door is annoying, glad you figured out how to turn it off! I had a car that did that a few years ago, one of the Hondas I think. Yick.

JayEll -

Birchie, Dagmar -
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I am sick about the shootings. But what's really bad is knowing it will only get worse. The overseas terrorists love our gun laws. I rarely express my opinion about them because I live in a place where gun control is about as popular as atheism. My DH is a proud gun owner. One of those things we don't discuss. But you know the definition of insanity - doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I feel blah but no major complaints, other than my weight keeps dropping. WTH, I'm eating huge amounts of calories and forcing down fluid that I don't want, and it still keeps dropping. I was at 121.5 last Wed (day of chemo), and now I'm 118.5. I haven't weighed this little since I was about 10! Friday I ate 2300, Saturday I ate 3300 (no joke - milkshake, peanut butter, bread, big subway sandwich, cookies, etc), and yesterday 2750. Saturday I did an easy 5 mile hike, but no way I burned that many calories. All I can figure is it must be water weight going away. I wish it would come back. My only consolation is that most women on chemo report that they gain weight overall. Maybe by the 2nd and 3rd weeks my body will get back to normal, so that the tuna melts, homemade ice cream and waffles will start doing some good. Then on Day 22 I get to do it all again. But at least it's in progress and will be done in August.

I will be online car shopping this week. Not my favorite thing to do but my Corolla is developing some problems I don't want to pay to fix at 236,000 miles. I'll get a hiking car - probably a Subaru Outback.

I hope everyone is finding a little joy in their day.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #8  
Workin' It

Alice - I don't talk about mine often either. DH and I are anti gun and atheist, neither of which are popular in the red South. It makes gatherings with either of our families a lot of fun. I'm glad you are holding your own, thinking about you.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #9  
in development

Good to see you, Alice.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #10  

You too, Birchie! I love reading about your gardening. Mine is limited right now - I am supposed to stay out of the sun as much as possible and it's too hot to cover up. Plus, our feral chicken overpopulation will destroy anything we plant. However we are making headway in catching them. So far 36 caught, probably 75 to go unless new ones hatch. The hens are not supposed to lay when it is this hot out, but evidently we have provided them a chicken paradise.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #11  

Um.... Alice.... what do you do with the feral chickens once you catch them? Are they food?
Good luck with maintaining your weight.... Crazy that you keep dropping but that's just irony, right?! I'm sure it will come back on-- it always does (for me at least!).

My dd's best friend just "came out" on FB today. It's a huge deal for him as he is Mormon and he was very nervous to see how his friends/loved ones would react. So far he's received nothing but positive comments thank goodness.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #12  

I hike with a gay Mormon, Michele! Nicest guy. Chicken story: A couple of years ago we had two old hens. A young man, who was our neighbor at the time, talked my DH into "temporarily" taking a rooster so that the guy could get one brood from our hens. He promised to remove them all. Of course, if you can't catch them you can't take them away. Two years later we have over 100 chickens running around, roosting very high up in the eucalyptus trees and remaining uncaught. We have found a few nests and collected eggs, but many more remain hidden. My DH likes them and will not shoot them. I have been gradually been constructing a catch pen and teaching the chickens that many good food items are found within. It is working pretty well, and we can usually catch a few per day, or more if we work at it. We also turned one of the dog kennels into a holding pen to confine them once we catch them. When we have a few, we text the former neighbor, who doesn't live far away, and he takes them away every few days. What he does with them, I neither know nor care.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm back!

I waved to you (or in your general direction), Birchie!

I'll catch up later. Until then, my heart goes out to Orlando and the horrible news there.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #14  

Welcome back, Allison!
Looks like you had a fun trip from what I've seen on FB.