Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #1  
Thin Girl in fat Girl bod

S/C/G: 267/215/200

Height: 5'6

Default Am i just too fat

Hi everyone,

I have been doing okay with my eating, I'm down to 221.2 lbs, having lost 44.4 lbs in a little over 4 months. That is with very little exercise except an occassional walk.

I still have some flabby belly fat, and a roll of hard lower abdominal fat that refuse to go away. So, I thought I'd try to burn it off with some cardio, and bought myself an elliptical.

I hopped on that, and can only do 30 seconds, before my left leg gives out. It just gets super sore, and just gives out from underneath me. Its disappointing because I see people bigger than me jump right on and do their full 30 + minutes of cardio with no problems, and ellipticals are supposed to be the best machines for not hurting your bones or joints.

I have been doing some light weights to strengthen my arms, but I am just so upset that I can't do the elliptical, because I wasted so much money on a machine to do cardio, that I can't seem to use. And I keep thinking I wil NEVER burn off this belly fat.
CarolNEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

There could be a couple things going on. It isnt just a weight issue. As you said, people bigger can do lots of exercise, but they had to build up to it.

Try walking more for awhile. Walking is functionally your best bet for exercise. Make sure when you try the elliptical you have it on a low setting, at least to get it started. You may also want to try some strength training for your legs. Simple squats are one of the best.

The elliptical isn't for everyone, but before you give up entirely try a few other things. "Giving out" is often a nerve problem so it might need a little physical therapy or just more time to build up muscle.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello. I agree that it is not necessarily that you are "just too fat." Different forms of exercise can work best for different people.'

A few years ago I began having leg problems and it turned out I have degenerative arthritis in one hip. For me, swimming is the best exercise, and I have a lot of pool workout equipment (weights, balance boards, etc.). Physical therapy has also worked wonders for me, and this past year I have been able to grab some trekking poles and do some hiking.

on your weight loss!

Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217 / 205 / 175

Height: 6 ft 1

I agree, swimming is great! you can do lunges under water with weights, or maybe just stay on the bike until you have lost enough weight/strengthened your joints and then you can hop back on the elliptical! Keep going!!! 44.4 is great!!!
sammisfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

You have to build up to it. I was nearly 200 lbs when I first started using an elliptical, and could only stay on it about 7 minutes. After a couple months, I had worked up to 30-40 minutes at a greater resistance setting than I had started out with. Give it time.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote