South Beach Diet - Margarine? What to watch for?

View Full Version : Margarine? What to watch for?

mschent
08-24-2003, 09:01 PM
I know we aren't counting but I also seem to remember reading that we weren't supposed to eat butter. So what do we look for in margarines? No trans fats, I assume? Anything else? 3 grams of sugar?

Ruthxxx
08-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Use Becel or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter per the list in the Book.

mschent
08-24-2003, 10:01 PM
I'll check for the Becel here. It doesn't sound familiar. I thought only the I can't Believe It's Not Butter spray was approved. not the tub. I'm starting my 2nd week of Phase I but I'm already planning my shopping for Phase II and I'm looking forward to having a flax pancake. I wanted something to spread on it.
I read and reread parts of the book every day. I think I need to sit down and read it from cover to cover and put in some markers. The ol' memory is not what it used to be. (What is?)

twodogmom
08-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Look for ones that have no trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils). Most margarines are full of these.....it used to be thought that the trans fats were a healthy alternative to saturated fats, but recent studies have proven that trans fats are even worse for you than the saturated fats. There are a couple of brands that have no trans fats, but I can't think of their names right now (and I don't have any in my house).

mschent
08-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks you guys.

ellis
08-25-2003, 07:06 AM
That I Can't Believe it's not Butter? I CAN believe it's not butter! Blah! It might not be too bad if I wasn't expecting to taste BUTTER!!
We use Becel. There's a light version.

Nikkiloo
08-25-2003, 08:11 AM
I use Smart Balance ... no trans fats, but don't use much ...

With you on the I Can't Believe it's not Butter Ell .... YUCK!!!

mschent
08-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Ah. I think I have seen Smart Balance in the stores. There are about a jillion different ones, you know. All claiming to be the best.