Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

Default Getting crap for losing weight

I've lost about 41lbs and have about 10-15 more to go.When friends ask I will say how much more and they always ask from where as in I'm thin enough.Im at the higher end of healthy for my weight but want to be near the low end.Last night at dinner when I mentioned it to a friend a larger person I didn't know across the table just stared at me with their mouth open and a shocked looked on their face.ive never experienced that kind of reaction before and I was kinda ticked off about it.Im allowed to lose more weight.**** I can go down to 100 lbs if I really want.does anyone else get these kinds of reactions?
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/104/102

Height: 5'2"

Yes but I literally just stopped talking about it and got very vague. Somewhere between 115 and 120 people got very outspoken about it being enough weight loss. But I still had a very poochy belly and distinct love handles and I decided I wasn't done until I looked better naked, and no one else besides my husband saw me that way so while their concern was nice, they really weren't seeing the whole picture. And their concern may have have come from a place of their own insecurity. So I am purposely vague and eat lots of healthy foods in front of them. Along with the occasional splurge. Lol.

Last edited by kristip; 05-28-2016 at 08:49 AM.
kristip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

Yep, stop talking about it. Society hates nothing more than a perceived skinny person talking about how much more weight they want to lose. Call it a double standard, but it just doesn't go over well and people automatically start thinking "eating disorder" even if they don't say it.
I had it easier because I have health issues, so a restrictive diet came with the health stuff. Give them a vague "I am getting healthier and making better food choices line" if they ask and keep the rest to yourself.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #4  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Thumbs up

It's so, so hard to lose weight, and goodness knows the majority of people, it seems, are trying. It is connected, unfortunately, to feelings of self-worth, so people can feel threatened if the subject is broached. That's not your fault, of course. You've just been super-successful, Skittles - congratulations! - and it is a credit to your tenacity. Just remember that you're doing what's best for your health, and that's what counts!
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 142/117/112

Height: 5'4" +1/2"

Hi, newbie here. I've been lurking for a while but this thread made me register

I was a UK size 6 most of my adult life and people seemed to think they could freely comment on my weight (that I needed to eat a sandwich basically) but at the time I didn't realise that it was rude and uncalled for. Having spent 6 years bigger I'm now within about half a stone of where I was and lo and behold, the comments have started up again. According to the bmi charts I could lose another 12 lbs and still be considered a healthy weight - I've got quite a belly and love handles on me which I'm trying to lose because their circumference is more than half my height and I don't want to get diabetes.

It really hacks me off that people feel they can comment on something so personal. I don't think it's as bad as having a go at someone for being overweight, but it's definitely rude and you shouldn't comment on someones appearance unless they specifically ask for your opinion. I don't ever bring up my weight loss, other people do.

I think that people don't actually realise what a healthy weight looks like these days and that what they think is too skinny, is probably bang smack in the middle of the healthy bmi section of the chart!
atcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/104/102

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcgirl View Post
I think that people don't actually realise what a healthy weight looks like these days and that what they think is too skinny, is probably bang smack in the middle of the healthy bmi section of the chart!
Agreeing with this totally! And also with the waist circumference issue- at 103 lbs I still am around a 26 inch waist, and 51 1/2 inches tall. I feel like I'm only just now rid of a lot of the extra pooches here and there. And for my height, not at ALL too skinny.
kristip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 142/117/112

Height: 5'4" +1/2"

If you're good at hiding the belly, people don't notice it, so they figure you're thin all over! I've ended up explaining the belly issue to colleagues in an attempt to get them to leave me alone about my dieting but they won't believe me (and I'm definitely not showing it to them)!

Mine's been a pain to budge, it stayed between 35" and 36" while I went from 142 to 123 lbs. Now that I've hit 122 lbs it's finally gone down to 34".
atcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/185.5/168

Height: 5'10.5

I got that when I first slimmed down, went down to a very slim size and have recently put back on a stone I need to lose. I remember when I was still not finished on my slimming journey I had people telling me to 'be careful' and not to go any further. Some people I think were not comfortable with my being newly slim, others I like to think were just being thoughtful. Either way, it is of course important not too go to far but I think for the most part, if you are losing weight healthily and have an understanding of a healthy weight for your height, then you just have to keep that in mind - you know your body best and even though it's difficult to brush those comments off, there will always be people who want to comment on your body as if it's their right to do so. Just remember to stick to what you know, and keep healthy.

Last edited by lisbeth1; 07-25-2016 at 07:44 AM.
lisbeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I'm not a featherweight by any means, and I'm sure I've been guilty of wondering why a "thin" person needs to worry about their body. But that just comes from a place of insecurity and/or jealousy. Don't let it derail you or make you feel bad about your AMAZING progress.

On a different note, if you are at a "healthy" weight, but are not content with your body composition, maybe try weightlifting? It can do wonders.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #10  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

I honestly just don't give people numbers anymore. Numbers scare people past a certain point... Now, I don't lie, but it's really none of their business. I doubt they would be so comfortable tellinge their numbers.

I usually just say "I'm going for toned now". Loosing weight took a bit out of me. Loosing weight always does, even with exercising I still lost some muscle that I miss. So I tell people I just want to maintain and regain some of that muscle. Meanwhile, under my skirt, I'd really just like my thighs to stop chaffing so much... But they don't need all those details.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote