Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #1  

Default Trying this whole low carb thing...

I'm brand new here. Hi! I just started trying this whole low carb thing. I have about 100 lbs to lose, which is totally overwhelming, but I have to do it. I was always really athletic, and now I'm so far from it - 232 lbs at 5'6". I know part of it was from medication that I was on, but it doesn't make it easier. It sucks, though! I'm SO hungry, and I feel like crap.

Further complicating matters, I had my gallbladder removed in September, and I can't tolerate too much fat anymore. My fiancé is a super picky eater and LOVES his carbs. He's a trucker, so fortunately he's gone a lot, but weekends are really hard. Finally, my 9 year old daughter thinks she needs to lose weight, so I don't need her seeing me obsess about food. I've tried really hard to raise her with a healthy attitude toward food, and I thought we were on the right track. We don't have "good" or "bad" food; there's food that does a lot for our bodies, so we eat more of those, and there's food that doesn't do as much good for our bodies, so we eat less of those. How can I balance all of this and still lose the weight I need to lose?! I cut out fat pretty much completely the month before my gallbladder was removed, and I gained ten pounds, so I think this is my only option.
MustangSally308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

Hello and welcome!

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. A husband who is gone from home most of the time, a daughter to look after and overwhelming amount of weight to lose. Here's a good news: You can do it! And it can benefrit both you and your daughter. Now my oldest girls are just 5, but we've also changed our eating habbits recently. I want to lose weight but I didn't tell them that. I just started cooking much more vegetable, we now usually have salads or steamed vegetable for dinner, with some protein (I'm trying to follow Primal diet). I don't talk about losing weight with them, but every day at the dinner table we talk about food we eat and in what way it's good for us. I usually make several choices so they can try and pick what they like. I would make for instance steamed brocoli, beet root salad, carrot and pea mash along with a piece of meat. Then we explain that carrot is good for your eyes, beet rood is full of iron that helps our blood to be healthy and carry oxygen our body needs, etc. I don't force them to eat what they don't like, but they usually chose a thing or two and have it. It has become fun and there's really good atmosphere around our dinner we have together. MAybe something like that would help you and your daughter. Not necessarily pushing the weight loss thing on her, but making healthier choices together, because you both want to be healthy.

Children follow examples. I started turning down candies and chocolate offers and when the girls asked why, I told them I want to eat less sugar and more vegetable to be healthier. That I will have a piece of chocolate every day, but just a piece and that's that. And they told me they too will only eat candy after dinner and not during the day. I was surprised but glad and we've followed our decision.

About low fat, I hope you still have good fat such as olive oil and other sources of omega fatty acids as these are realy good for you. I wish you good luck with everything and hope to see you around!
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

Hi MustangSally - Something in your post struck a chord with me so I thought I'd mention it in case your body works the same way. Carbs make me want more carbs. They make me hungry. Diet Coke affected my blood sugar the same way regular Coke does. In other words, Diet Coke makes me hungry.

Cutting out Diet Coke was VERY HARD for me. I believe it was both a physical and psychological addiction for me. It really took me a couple of months not to miss it. Cutting it out didn't cause me to lose any weight directly, because I substituted DC cravings with actual sugar products (typically little bags of Famous Amos choco chip cookies). Amazingly, I didn't gain weight. And once I cut out the sugar (but not the bread or potato chips) I began losing weight very, very quickly.

Of course, that slowed down, and then I needed to cut back on the bread. That was much harder for me. I realize now that if I do very low or zero carb, after a couple of days I have no hunger at all. I don't know anything about gallbladders and if that way of eating would even be allowed for you, but I just wanted to let you know my experience with physical hunger.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote