Old 04-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #1  

Default IP and Roller Derby

I started IP on March 28th and I'm having a problem with exercise versus calorie intake. My base metabolism is 2000calories. I have derby practice 3-5 times a week and burn about 900 calories per workout. Even on the IP alternative plan I'm only eating about 1200 calories.. This puts me at a 1700 calorie deficit leaving me hangry, exhausted and with limited or reduced weight loss. I've done a low carb low calorie diet before and lost 2-4lbs a week without exercise. When i did exercise i stalled. I feel like I'm at a stall now but my IP coach wants me to focus on sticking to the alternative plan 100%... where i waiver is sometime i miss or don't eat all my veggies and I don't always have 2tsp of oil a day... I don't cheat but I don't really like salad...

Am I crazy to think that my problem is simple math... calories in minus calories out should be in the -1000 to -1200 range???
drevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

Your IP coach needs to ask Corporate what you need to be consuming.

Your BMR is so high to begin with that your coach should be having you eat many more packets. And then you have derby practice on top of that...not good. You may actually be doing a lot of harm to your body by eating so few calories.

If your coach doesn't do a better job of adjusting the diet to fit your lifestyle you may need to try a different diet because your body needs more calories than you are giving it right now just to function properly.

I hope you get this figured out soon.

Last edited by galpal445; 04-20-2016 at 09:44 AM.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #3  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

I hope some of the really experienced gals come on here and respond. In my opinion, you should be adding a couple of hard boiled eggs throughout the day. I am not a big exerciser, but I notice on Phase 1 or 2, if I even walk a lot during the week, I will stall. If I add a hard boiled egg after a really long walk, I have little problem. My friend who swims and does aerobics on Phase 1 definitely eats her eggs AND an extra packet. Good luck. There are many IP coaches who don't know how to work the diet when people are active.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #4  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Getting your oil in will help. That's 200 calories right there. Add it to a shake or your morning coffee. But you need at least one additional packet, if not two. And you should be consuming BCAAs - has your coach mentioned that?
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #5  

Thanks for the support and reassurance that I'm not crazy. I don't know what BCAAs are. I'm trying to follow the plan exactly but now i have a sinus infection that's not helping the situation. I'm going to try to stay on the diet for the rest of this week but between the hunger and extreme exhaustion I'm not happy with the plan. My coach has spoken with her corporate rep... that's why i was put on the alternative plan... I just dont think this works for the type of activity i'm doing and refuse to give up.
drevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

drevilla: From personal experience I think you DO need the alternative plan - there's extra calories and extra carbs compared to the regular P1, and you should be adding more protein and even a bit more fat - whole eggs or full fat cheese or yogourt for your Alternative dairy choices.
Take all your oil and eat all your veggies - choose the higher carb choices rather than very low carb ones. Salad is not necessary, but veggies ARE.
You are not eating enough food to run your derby body! btw, I love our derby gals here http://www.osrda.org/ I used to run the parks & rec arena where the bouts are held.

Liana

canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/235/160

Height: 5'8"

I just have to say... I'm super glad I saw this thread. The timing/chances are amazing! Ha ha.
I'm going to meet with someone about starting IP tomorrow (And I'm super excited.) annnd I have my first roller derby practice in the evening after that.
I have just assumed that I eat what packets/meals they tell me and I'd have instant success (Naive thinking, I know.).
I didn't even consider that I'd have to make adjustments based on my activity level.
So while I can't answer your question... I'm definitely interested in seeing what everyone who's experienced with IP has to say.
Lakota Shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 176.4/168.4/140

Height: 5'4"

Chiming in very quickly here....Dr. Evilla - I am in P1 and told my coach from the get-go that I was not willing to sacrifice my workout routines, which I have finally made a habit, and that if it meant IP was not for me, I would understand. So, she put me on the Alternative plan on the days I work out which I actually LOVE.

I played derby from 2005-2009 and I'm certain that if I was on the Alternative Plan and 100% compliant (all veggies, oils, supplements and Alternative "treats" on the days I had practice), it would be compatible. Too, all derby practices are different, at least in my league. Sometimes they would be endurance for an hour, then scrimmage for an hour. Or all drills - falling drills, blocking drills, sprint drills. All over the place. The workouts I do now (Orangetheory Fitness), I would say are comparable to derby work outs - (I burn about 600+ calories per my heart rate monitor) I might run about three miles on the tread mill in the first half hour, then a mix of rower, weights, floor work for another half hour, all while doing the P1 Alternative Plan on the days I work out. If I don't work out on a day, then I am on straight P1 that day. I have been satisfied with my progress. Any slow weeks that I've had have been due to my own non-compliant decisions (vacations, company, travel, boozy brunches).

Okay, that was not a "real quick" chime in (story of my life). But all that to say, I feel that Alt P1 should be compatible with derby life!

Last edited by Lynn Margaret; 04-21-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Lynn Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #9  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

BCAAs are branched chain amino acids. IP is selling them to all dieters in the first 2-3 weeks of ketosis, and to people who exercise beyond that. BCAAs help preserve muscle mass, which can be lost due to the low-cal diet. Optimally, you consume your BCAAs within 30 minutes prior to workout, or during the workout. I highly recommend them. If you don't buy from IP, you can get them at any health food store like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. I personally like the MusclePharm brand, but there are many others that will work, so you just have to see what fits your budget.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote