Old 04-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #1  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Default 2015 Starters - Summer lovin'

Our little chatty bunch hit the 500+ plus mark in our other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destony View Post

I'm glad to see that is the course you and the other admins are going to take. It's gotten to the point that I am seriously considering getting off of all of the FB pages. I had quite the little "reprimand" in a pm about a comment I made. If the girl had read the original post- perhaps she wouldn't have lambasted me as she did. Whatevs...move up and move on...and oh- god forbid that I couldn't remember exactly why the Quests weren't P1 fits anymore...-that was another PM from someone that never even commented on the thread- and thank you HIS for clarifying why they weren't P1- I hope that you have settled in to P1 and the worst of it's over for you I wish you a huge amount of good vibes for the party tonight- you got this- you've done harder things, and it's only for a short stint this time!!

you mentioned a long time ago (can't remember exactly where- pm I think) about how many similarities we share. Ok, after the dr yesterday I went to the hospital thrift shop (where the heck was this all my life...) I tried a pair of 6 Banana Republic slacks on-and while they fit the waist with a hair to spare, the hips....nice panty lines there LBJ...lol- not so pretty- so back on the rack they went. It all depends on the maker and the cut- and my hips are always going to be the bane of my existence...them and now all the loose skin...lol. Again, same here, most of my life has been the yoyo and not the 20 lb yoyo- more like the 80 lb yo yo. So, yes, that extra skin-(which dr discussed with me yesterday) is something I plan to live with. I will do my best with exercise, nutrition and the collagen powder, but no, I am not planning to do the surgery. When I joked about the twins leaving the building -he launched in to the breast augmentation surgery- again, no- I can buy my wonder bras and falsely advertise and I'm good- the only one who needs to know how big they are in reality is sleeping right next to them
Interesting thoughts - I need to thank you for the thinking you trigger in me-it makes SO much sense. I agree also with the specific instruction- that's what made IP SO workable/doable for me.
So, I went to the Y after the dr and the thrift adventure-omg- a black skirt (I needed something to wear to wakes so I don't have to borrow pants from my mom) a pair of LLBean pants- the ones that the legs unzip so they turn in to shorts- I thought those would be great for the boat- and a bunch of tops and sweaters-mostly Talbotts- I put a couple of things back because I didn't want to spend too much. My jaw nearly hit the floor and I should have grabbed the stuff I put back- when the lady told me 32.00 please...WHAAAA??? It's been a long time since I went thrifting and you gals have been singing its praises all along- well, my new office assistant gave me a pamphlet with all the Cape thrift shops listed- oh boy....look out....here comes mama- but I REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get rid of the stuff that doesn't fit- like an entire sized 14 summer wardrobe of skorts, shorts, tees tanks, polos, -those things are virtually brand new- they were last summers purchases. Then there are the 12s- those are from the "old days" but still in really good shape. below 12- well, I never wore anything lower than a 12...so yay me I don't have anything- other than the small, 6s and so on that I have recently bought and put away. Oh, shiny butterfly-......sorry I got off track there....Okay, weigh in day- 1st time in maintenance that I went a 2 week span....I think I'm okay- Have a great day everyone!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know who sent you the PMs, but if it was one of the admins, I'm sure they didn't intend for the tone to be ugly. They really are kind women. I'm probably the least tolerant of off-protocol posts of any of them, lol.

Linda, you need to get those old clothes into consignment and make you some $$$! And, YES, thrifting is the way to go! This week I found some cute polka dot Ralph Lauren shorts for $4, and a pair of pretty Talbot's sandals for $11. Oh, and a Victoria's Secret top for $3.

Still hanging in there with P1. Not weighing is helping; I can't justify a cheat if I don't know if I've lost any weight. Yesterday I didn't exercise at all and that really made a difference in my hunger. But I can't stand just sitting around, so today I'm going to the gym again (more rain in the forecast). Might try a recumbent bike if I find one that can give me a good workout. I'm going to eat super-cautiously today, and probably have a BITE of cake tonight, but take the rest home and put it in the freezer for later.

Oh, and I have MORE motivation to stay the course: the hospital's marketing department wants to do a promotional story on me and my orthopedic doctor and the sports medicine department. Including photos of me in my running gear, wearing my medals. Lord have mercy. I told my daughter (who's our graphic artist) that she needs to photo shop me to look like Catherine Zeta Jones.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Hi all,
Welcome to the new thread.

First day of p1 today, I will likely cut it short by 1 or 2 days and start p3 on my days off to move.

Did some packing this morning and then my husband wanted to look at a lawn tracker a good hour away. I didn't work out so we are now on way home.

I split my protein and 1 packet uo today between breakfast and lunch. Felt hunger this am, but I really think this is just stress and not wanting to pack.too much to do.

More later

Sue
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Blue - my assessment about P1 days is they really should be saved for after indulgences (you have to decide what this entails...) otherwise I really think we risk overusing it - and for me, with the exercise, want to test and see if I've been overdoing it / cutting calories too hard and leading to these binges. I wasn't a binger before IP and I'm not crazy about how my body responds - and generally it's when I've cut back to a P1 day.
I figure now is a good time to test with 6 weeks to go to reboot. I'll keep an eye on my weight to make sure it doesn't go ape sh1t - I'd rather have 5/6 pounds to clean up than 10 or 15
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
Our little chatty bunch hit the 500+ plus mark in our other thread.

I don't know who sent you the PMs, but if it was one of the admins, I'm sure they didn't intend for the tone to be ugly. They really are kind women. I'm probably the least tolerant of off-protocol posts of any of them, lol.

Linda, you need to get those old clothes into consignment and make you some $$$! And, YES, thrifting is the way to go! This week I found some cute polka dot Ralph Lauren shorts for $4, and a pair of pretty Talbot's sandals for $11. Oh, and a Victoria's Secret top for $3.

Still hanging in there with P1. Not weighing is helping; I can't justify a cheat if I don't know if I've lost any weight. Yesterday I didn't exercise at all and that really made a difference in my hunger. But I can't stand just sitting around, so today I'm going to the gym again (more rain in the forecast). Might try a recumbent bike if I find one that can give me a good workout. I'm going to eat super-cautiously today, and probably have a BITE of cake tonight, but take the rest home and put it in the freezer for later.

Oh, and I have MORE motivation to stay the course: the hospital's marketing department wants to do a promotional story on me and my orthopedic doctor and the sports medicine department. Including photos of me in my running gear, wearing my medals. Lord have mercy. I told my daughter (who's our graphic artist) that she needs to photo shop me to look like Catherine Zeta Jones.
Thank you for starting the new thread. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an admin either time. I do hope tonight went well. That sounds so exciting,
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdawheel View Post
Hi all,
Welcome to the new thread.

First day of p1 today, I will likely cut it short by 1 or 2 days and start p3 on my days off to move.

Did some packing this morning and then my husband wanted to look at a lawn tracker a good hour away. I didn't work out so we are now on way home.

I split my protein and 1 packet uo today between breakfast and lunch. Felt hunger this am, but I really think this is just stress and not wanting to pack.too much to do.

More later

Sue
I'm sorry that the trip for the mower was a waste of time I know how stressed you are- I think you are right- the stressors have to be playing with you. I hope that tomorrow is better for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Blue - my assessment about P1 days is they really should be saved for after indulgences (you have to decide what this entails...) otherwise I really think we risk overusing it - and for me, with the exercise, want to test and see if I've been overdoing it / cutting calories too hard and leading to these binges. I wasn't a binger before IP and I'm not crazy about how my body responds - and generally it's when I've cut back to a P1 day.
I figure now is a good time to test with 6 weeks to go to reboot. I'll keep an eye on my weight to make sure it doesn't go ape sh1t - I'd rather have 5/6 pounds to clean up than 10 or 15
I agree that there is the risk of overusing P1. I'm interested to hear how things go with your experiment.
DOn't know about you guys, but it's still flipping freezing here....need some spring man- I can't deal!!lol-
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #5  

Linda, spring may be heading your way...it arrived by us today
Old 04-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

So, I’ve settled down after my “candy monster” incident. The P1 day got me back on track.
But it did get me doing a lot of thinking.
I’ve been coasting along on P4, it’s actually been going very smoothly, even through vacation, without tracking, and back at home, with tracking, it’s been holding steady, 132-133-ish. Been feeling pretty cocky, actually. Well, even if not exactly cocky, them maybe complacent.
So I’ve been thinking, I’ve got this! Until the candy.
I have to keep remembering, I am still the same person who got into this with bad behaviours, they are still lurking there in me, and I can’t be thinking that just because I’ve lost all this weight that I’m somehow immune. Funny that during the diet phase, I didn’t really have those sugar cravings, but back to normal eating…and yes, there they are, still there. So…a learning experience for me.

Who mentioned awhile ago about their fat macros being high? That’s what I’ve been finding, I was looking over the last month on MFP, and carbs are usually under, no problem there, but fats are almost always over. It doesn’t seem to be having an effect, though.

HIS – how exciting for you, and a great affirmation of your progress!!! that hospital story should be great fun to do, and you’ll look GREAT!! Hope you’ll send us a link (if you're not comfortable doing that in the open forum, then maybe by PM ??)

Sue – that moving day is getting so close, you must be getting so excited. You sound super-organized, I’m sure it’ll all go smoothly! Glad to hear you’re getting through P2 with no problems. You’re going to love P3!!

Beth – it’s a temptation to throw in those P1 days, I have to admit to wondering if it would be good to have them on a more regular basis. And keeping calories low, maybe even lower than we’ve allowed ourselves, I’m guilty of that, I confess. But I think it’s not a good thing. Can’t remember where I read it, but I think our bodies get used to getting less, and maybe it’s better to fluctuate the calorie level more.
Only think I can equate it to, is back on P1, adding in some fattier beef (like prime rib, a good steak) seemed to shake things up. I have to admit, I haven’t been having many splurge days (still a bit nervous to do that) but I think I have to consciously have maybe one splurge meal each week. ..with a following P1 day, of course. Just to prove to myself that I can.

It'll be interesting to see what changes you make, and the effects, over the next six weeks

DH decided to sleep in this morning, but it sounds like he's moving around now, so I think I'll take him out for a coffee this morning, need to go to the grocery store, I'm thinking we might grill a chicken for dinner. Any day now, it's going to be warm enough to have dinner on the patio (not quite there yet, but maybe a cup of tea out there this afternoon!!)
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #7  

HIS - thanks for starting the new thread the photo shoot sounds fun - and what a great reason to stay on the straight and narrow

Sue - ugh, how frustrating! You've been doing really well with all the stress you've been under - keep rocking it lady!

Linda - wow, our weather is generally kind-of close...guess not this weekend - we had gorgeous spring weather (72 Sat and 76 today) hope this gets your way very soon

Blue - I thought about tossing it out there on the P2-3-4 FB page...but I really don't think its advised unless you truly indulge - but again, what that means isn't defined and I know now that is because we are just all too different for IP to say "if you do x-y-z in P4, then you absolutely must do P1 the next day" What you've been doing is working. "If its not broke, don't fix it" If it makes you feel good to rein it in once in awhile, go for it - there is a train of thought that doing semi-regular reboots help folks maintain...but every week - that I would be careful about. Sounds like a pleasant Sunday

Had a fantastic weekend (other than the taxes Friday night)
Saturday was rest day - and I took a 2.5 hour nap! OMG, felt so amazingly good! I was still able to go to bed at a decent hour too.
We were up at 6am for the 5 / 10K airport run. It was a beautiful morning. I ran my middle-ish pace but! finished in 59:02 - I've run plenty of 6+ training runs for the 13.1 & 10 miler but never broke less-than 1:00 New PR - and I went out feeling pretty blah this morning - honestly thought I was going to have to turn around the first mile b/c of how upset my stomach was (nauseous...not the "other" for once). Not sure why - had fish and a bland baked potato for dinner - but I pushed through It was really cool running the runways too!

We will see how the scale looks Wednesday. Not planning on doing anything special other than clean up my evenings a bit (had B&J fro yo 2 nights in a row) - but no severe calorie restrictions unless something unexpected happens.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #8  

Hi all pretty productive day today. Since our Saturday got messed up, we decided to go to church last evening so that we could relax a bit this morning. Slept a little longer this morning. Ate a nice breakfast, IP CC pancakes plus an egg. Grabbed 1/2 can of kirkland chicken for lunch with raw veggies and made pork and chayote in crockpot for supper. My folks were here today helping and I really feel that we made some progress . Dad replaced some counter on the book shelves in our family room and the lighter color makes the room look so much bigger. Mom and I powered through some packing.

Beth - glad you had a fantastic weekend. You deserve it.
Congrats on the new PR. I read this article and thought it might be something that you would be interested in- especially seeing your are winding down your racing season. http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well...acebook.com%2F

Blue - No sugar cravings is one of the thingsI love about IP. You are doing great. I hope that 3FC is helping you reflect and grow. I know that it is for me. Nice to have a morning out for coffee. (even though I don't drink coffee).

Linda - another nice day in Wisconsin. I hope the weather is heading your way.

HIS - I hope your Sunday was good. The marketing gig sounds fun. You will do great and having an in with the graphic artist doesn't hurt either.

Sue
Old 04-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesahead View Post
So, I’ve settled down after my “candy monster” incident. The P1 day got me back on track.
But it did get me doing a lot of thinking.
I’ve been coasting along on P4, it’s actually been going very smoothly, even through vacation, without tracking, and back at home, with tracking, it’s been holding steady, 132-133-ish. Been feeling pretty cocky, actually. Well, even if not exactly cocky, them maybe complacent.
So I’ve been thinking, I’ve got this! Until the candy.
I have to keep remembering, I am still the same person who got into this with bad behaviours, they are still lurking there in me, and I can’t be thinking that just because I’ve lost all this weight that I’m somehow immune. Funny that during the diet phase, I didn’t really have those sugar cravings, but back to normal eating…and yes, there they are, still there. So…a learning experience for me.
Who mentioned awhile ago about their fat macros being high? That’s what I’ve been finding, I was looking over the last month on MFP, and carbs are usually under, no problem there, but fats are almost always over. It doesn’t seem to be having an effect, though.
I remember my coach mentioning to be careful as I was introducing some new foods back in to P4 (though I have to look back in my journal to see exactly what they were- but she said be cautious re-awakening the sugar cravings....It's been hard here too- I won't lie, at times- especially when DBF has a "brick" it's a marbled cake covered in a chocolate and white frosting that is more like a hard shelled coating - I have a bite or 2 and I could totally see myself eating the whole piece-I think the food she mentioned was the combat bars and nut butter-about the sugar cravings- I can see that----Like you, as I have been so very lucky to stay in my 125 range-there are fleeting moments when I get a bit cocky, but then reign myself in and remember that in the past, that is the same behavior that got me in to trouble before..I can vividly remember sitting at the dinner table with DBF, his family and mine shortly after we began dating (the end of my divorce period and I was about 145, which at that point I was in my 12's-so equate to good shape) and I was having a piece of montillios (a phenomanal bakery) double chocolate cake-(which he and I indulged in frequently) and thinking- it hasn't hurt me so far....and in the blink of an eye that thinking got me up to 240 lbs....I have resigned myself to "I am going to have to be forever diligent in what goes in to my mouth" It could have been me about the fat- I know that I have mentioned it before, not sure if I have seen it froom others...but so far, that has been ok, I'm just keeping an eye on it.

----awww crapadoodle-5:20 late starting my morning...be back later to finish this up....
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Linda – you’re right, it’s easy to get complacent at this stage, when weight is holding steady. But yes, sugar is a problem. I do want to have sweet things, usually a protein bar or some fruit does the trick. But I have to learn to have ice cream/cake/cookies ---in small amounts. I don’t want to deny myself those things. I have to start telling myself it’s OK to have them. And when there are people around, or even just DH, I can do that. But when I’m by myself…well, you all know what can happen.
But I am going to start allowing myself some of those things, not enough to call it a splurge, but just so that it doesn’t stay in the “forbidden” realm – those things that, if you aren’t allowed to have them, it just makes you want them, you know.

Sue – countdown to moving day – this week? Hope it all goes smoothly!

Beth - fantastic race! Congrats on the new PR! Especially if you weren’t feeling great. Saw the FB pic, such a great smile. You SHOULD be proud and happy!
Hope the next few days go well, you seem to be getting a handle on after-race eating, I’m sure Wed weight will be right where you expect it.

Thanks for the thoughts on P1 – as you can tell it’s been on my mind a bit. I agree, I don’t think having a weekly P1 day for no reason is the right thing to do. Actually, I’ve only had a couple of P1 days in the last 2 months, after what I thought was a splurge, but truth be told, I haven’t really been having many splurges. IP encourages having splurges, I’ve heard even one a week, and I need to get comfortable having them and knowing it won’t derail me. That’s why I was thinking a planned splurge day each week, with a following P1 day. But like you said, what exactly is a splurge? And is once a week too often?
Maybe that’s the real question. Ok, ladies – tell me, what were your last few splurges where you followed with a P1 day?
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #11  

Sue - thank you! This article popped up on Runner's World this weekend - great read!
I started running again on a lark and at first was like 'oh, idc about my times, or getting faster, etc...' - the only thing I really was concerned about was injury. Now my train of thought has shifted a bit and while avoiding injury is still #1, the more I read, the more I realize how much everything in running (training, speed work, strength training) is entwined and critical to remaining pain-free.

Linda - oh your posts make me smile - love that 'crapadoodle' makes it through the cuss blockers
Fwiw in regards to fat - I don't believe it is the 'enemy' so-to-speak. Look at what has happened to obesity rates since they turned the food pyramid upside-down in the 70's
Ketogenic based diets, such as Atkins, work for a lot of people - and at the end of the day, the basic formula is: High (healthy) fat, moderate protein, low carb. Fat is what keeps us satiated. I think even IP is starting to realize a little additional fat in the plan doesn't offset weight loss (ie, the trail mix)
Personally, I am still moderating my breakfasts during the weekday (keeping it at 350 k/cal), & have learned I control hunger MUCH better when I have foods that are higher in fat at breakfast (eggs, nut butters) mixed with some carbs / protein, than just carb / protein alone. I think this is why I did better with 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast in P1 (yah yah...not protocol ) than just a shake, or god-forbid, the oatmeal - I would usually get the low blood sugar shakes by 10:30 am!
I'm not a nutritionist though...& obviously if we had all been making the best food choices, we wouldn't have ended up needing IP...but imvho, what gets the majority of us in trouble is the mixing of fat / carbs (especially SUGAR) continuously. We can all find 100's of articles on why sugar is the
For me (and others I'm sure) there was also beer & other alcoholic beverages that got me up to 230#'s.
My long winded way of saying it's probably a lot more important to be uber-vigilent of the amount of sugar we are in-taking, vs fats (unless you are drinking vegetable oil or something...)

Blue - nut butters, Nuetella, dark chocolate, & ice cream (last weeks binge) - and I went into the *red* on both MFP and Fitbit...and I certainly wasn't measuring how much nut butter I was spooning

Happy Monday!
Another happy / sad piece of news - DD19 got her drivers license Friday!
Happy that she is taking the steps necessary to gain independence...sad because she's still my baby and I'm scared to death of her driving in the crazy-@$$ DMV area! She's a very good kid though and I know will do her best.
I took last Thursday off to get her car inspected - that was my one "had-to-do" that fell through, so now I am hoping the service station we have our inspections done at is open this afternoon - if so, I am leaving early to get that done for her. Then it just needs brakes and she can roll

Did really well yesterday - "clean" P4 day & no problem sticking to a combat bar for evening snack. Had a good dinner too - grilled chicken with red pepper-cauliflower soup and a small serving of quinoa. I spooned a little of the soup over the quinoa & it was amazing!!! I was also within my calorie range macro.

I just need to retrain my brain to forget the cans of nuts are around

Last edited by hysteria_625; 04-18-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #12  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

beth, congrats again on the run and PR! You look so tiny in your photo. How's Roy's foot?

Sue, sounds like thing are moving along swiftly with the move. I don't envy you. I hate moving. I plan to die in this house. hahaha

Linda, gosh, I can so relate on the sugar thing. I'm finding more and more than I just have to avoid places where I'm tempted - the break room at work, the kitchen at church, etc.

blue, I'm probably not a good person to answer your P1 question since here I am doing a reboot. :/ But I've tried various things, with and without exercise in the mix, and basically I'm finding that a splurge for me is a big dessert - wedge of cake, handful of cookies, etc. I don't consider a serving of mac and cheese, or two pieces of pizza a splurge, you know? I can usually eat a carb/fat combo meal food, like pizza, without going overboard or triggering bad behavior. But sugars definitely set me off, so I HAVE to limit them to occasional choices.

Saturday birthday dinner.... I failed. I had forgotten to tell them I was back on my diet, and didn't take food. So I didn't have good options; they served grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, and potato chips, and pasta salad - and I was HUNGRY. I ended up eating a hot dog (no bun), a few forkfuls of pasta salad, and then you can guess what happened with the cake. For the day, calorie wise, I was fine, but way too many carbs. BUT - I went right back to protocol yesterday, and I'm determined to see this through. I'm not weighing until the end of April, but I measured today and I've lost an inch in my waist and hips, so I'm happy about that. I think I'm going to try that Pilates class this week, maybe today if I can get myself in gear.

We've had a week of rain. My grass looks like a jungle. But we'll be thankful for the rise in the water table come July when it's hot and dry.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #13  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

Oh my gosh! I missed so much!!!

HIS It's hard to be in a tough situation when you're hungry and there is a bunch of yummy food staring at you. You did well considering the challenges and you are back OP today. That's not a failure...just a minor blip in the road. You rock!!!
Beth Wow! Rock on with your running self!!! You are amazing. Awesome. Congrats to your daughter for getting her license. I understand why you are worried. The DMV is nuts! But I learned to drive here and she'll do great! I agree about your comments regarding fat. Fat is filling. I think IP will become more flexible about fats with time. Also many coaches recommend hard boiled eggs on Phase 1. There seems to be some flexibility with protocol...for good and for bad.
Linda I'm in Phase 3 again now and I am starting to get worried about introducing stuff into my diet. I already feel like I crave things after three days. Oh well. That's why we are trying to phase off into maintenance for a couple of weeks before vacation so we are in the habit of eating healthy carbs. I need to be thoughtful about what goes into my mouth just like you. You are such an inspiration to me.
Sue Moving is stressful. Ugh. Stress leads to hunger. That's a fact. Hope you make it through smoothly.
blue You are doing so well!!! And the fact that you noticed the candy day and did something about it is a sign of health. AND you told us all about it so it wasn't like you were hiding it. Like the other ladies on this board, I hope I can be like you in maintenance.

Oh no! My hair started falling out in clumps this weekend. What? Not sure why that is. Phase 3? Going out of ketosis? It never fell out like that before. Kinda' has me worried. My little guy turned 2 yesterday. We went to the National Zoo on Saturday and they had a lot of good lunch choices. We had a grilled chicken salad. I was impressed. The new nanny started today. She seems to be doing well. She came over last night for dinner and had some steak and salad with us. I can't believe that in less than 2 weeks I'll be in maintenance. I don't know if I'm ready.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

About the 'high' fat macros in maintenance.... not a problem at all. In fact, one of the P4 videos way back in 2013, from the Doc (can't remember his name now, lol, the blond one), when I was just getting to maintenance talked about a study that added 7000 calories a day (mainly fat) to participants diets while low carb and they still kept weight off or even lost if they needed to. I did have the link bookmarked to this PubMed study (it is legit, but now on Chrome browser I can't find anything). Anyhow, the point is keeping the carbs low. That may mean under 150 net g a day, or could be as low as 20 net g. You have to experiment with your sweet spot. Of course keeping the carbs complex and natural as opposed to processed sugars would be best.
I'm pretty certain someone eating 150 g of table sugar or HFCS carbs wouldn't have the same results as someone eating 150 g of beans, sweet potato, berries, whole grains, apple, etc carbs.

I've been maintaining at quite a high fat ratio.... full fat cheeses and lots of them, avocados, tablespoons of Udo's Oil for menopausal hot flashes (which works like a charm, btw), 11% plain yogourt, tuna canned in olive oil, etc. To lose a little bit of pudge, I need to cut back on the alcohol and carbs (mainly tortilla chips in my case which is a bad combo food). I belong to a Low Carber Ladies over 50 MFP Group for a bit of support in that direction.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #15  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

I found that I maintained pretty well with a 30/30/30 carb/fat/protein macro balance. It surprised me that I could consume that much fat and not gain. (I think my eventual gain was due to calories overall, not excessive carbs or fat, coupled with activity restriction.)

I'm beginning to think we'll never see the sun again. :/ So I'm going to the gym today, and then the grocery store afterward to get the cheesecake makings. For some reason, I think I can avoid the cheesecake a lot easier than regular cake. But son also wants homemade pepperoni rolls for dinner, and I have no idea what I can have that's a reasonable P1 substitute for that. Might have to just eat a hamburger. By the time I make a bunch of pepperoni rolls and then some gluten-free ones for my daughter, I won't be in the mood to make yet a 3rd version. LOL.

My new P1 treat: I found Belgian Cookie flavored sugar-free syrup and have been adding it to my coffee with my WF vanilla creamer. SO GOOD. Wish I could indulge in more than one cup. I've always been a coffee fiend and have said more than once that if I could live on coffee, I would.

Candi, I don't know what to think about hair loss in P3! Usually it's a problem in P1. Thyroid??