Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~Golden Girls~~

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you when you turned 50? 60? 70? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thank you for our new thread Bobbi
Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

Kept pretty busy today...our son and his fam want to go to the coast with us in Oct so spent some time trying to get them into a condo, but none available. They can't go with us on the dock or enjoy the pool unless they stay at our resort. Too many people used to take advantage so they changed the rules. Finally gave up for today but I will continue to check in case someone cancels. It was nice to chat with my son too. I actually talked to him twice today.

Weekly cleaned in little bath, master bedroom and spare bedroom and partially in office and hall. Also washed two loads of dark clothes, still need to fold one load and dry the other. Will do that while watching TV.

A few days ago I discovered a company called Rume...it sells bags, totes etc. I ordered a bag I can use for my carryon. I don't like to use my small suitcase as it's heavier and awkward going down the aisle. This is a light vinyl bag with strap that I can carry over my shoulder but it also has an opening in the back where you can put it over the handles of your rolling suitcase so you don't have to carry it all over the airport etc. It came today and is better made than I expected, so I think I like it. They also gave me a little sac type bag with three zippers which I plan to use for toiletries, makeup and meds. Just enough in case our luggage gets lost. It will fit easily inside the bigger bag. I don't care for flying anymore and don't know when we will next but expect that at some point we will again. I still hope to get to Europe and China and know that if possible we will certainly be going back to PI. I don't want to swim () and I don't like ships so will have to fly.

I also ordered some essential oils that are supposed to be the really good ones (they probably all say that). I got three kinds...for focus, sleep and slender. The slender is to help you not eat so much and is taken orally. I took it today and it did seem to help a little, but it may have just been the mental suggestion, who knows. Didn't taste bad..smelled strongly of mint, at least I think that was it. You just put 1 drop in 4 oz water. But I notice they also sell on Amazon and some people mentioned using 2. I'll stick with one right now to make sure I tolerate it ok. It's a combination of several oils...like cinnamon, cloves and peppermint etc.

We are each on our own tonight as it's leftover night. I'm going to have leftover sloppy Joes as dh doesn't like it and I do. Probably have a salad with it. Dh will probably heat up some Asian entree, he keeps a stock of them for these nights

Dh had our soil tested and they said it was very good so he planted onions today. He loves to garden. Also took the car in for something and also got our free car wash. So we've both been busy in our own ways...he works harder than me though.

Hope you're all enjoying Spring by now and that that old snow is gone!

Last edited by maryea; 04-12-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning everyone,
We had a milder day yesterday with lots of rain so except for snow banks it is almost all melted. My clothes dryer died so I have been busy on the internet looking at new dryers and their ratings. I ended up buying a Whirlpool Brand from Sears which will be delivered sometime on Thursday morning. Apparently I have had a fire hazzard in the house as my old plastic venting system is now out of code so I had a man here yesterday putting in a new steel meshed venting system. He took my old dryer off my hands. I also had a very old full size stove in the basement so he took that too. I used to have my tenants live solely in my basement with a kitchen and rec room but now I share the whole house with Nan and she sleeps in my spare bedroom upstairs and has the run of the house. I had my physio treatment on my ankle yesterday morning....it is improving but I can't walk without my brace and I don't last too long but part of that reason is because I'm so out of shape. After that I took Nan for her dental appointment. She is finding it very difficult now to get in and out of a car and because she can't raise her arms I have to help her get her tops off and on. She is in pretty good spirits considering but gets mad when something new happens to her body that prevents her from doing it herself. I have also been thinking of myself and what I will do when the time comes for Nan. I'm contemplating selling my house and moving up north to be closer to my daughter.

I have read all the personals and just have a few short replies:

Gayle That's great that you have started to play the guitar again. You might be a little rusty but I think you will pick it back up pretty fast. I used to play the piano.

Mary Taking naps is more important at our age than housework that can wait for one more day. At least that's the way I feel.

Carol I have been to our Goodwill looking for plus size clothes. I have found the racks so be so stuffed it is hard to see anything plus there wasn't much selection in the plus sizes. I haven't looked for anything else. I remember when you could buy canned salmon in a can that was as large as a canned vegetable can and my Mom used to make salmon loafs and patties which were my favourite. Salmon sure has become expensive since those days. I would probably need 4 or 5 small cans of salmon to even try to make a salmon loaf today.

Hello to everyone else I haven't mentioned and know I enjoy your posts.
Have a good day,
Karrine
Old 04-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Karrine, they still sell the large cans of salmon in our stores, but I don't buy them. I rarely buy canned, but when I do I like to get the kind with the bones removed, which is more expensive.

My closet looks much like your Goodwill racks right now...stuffed with clothes. I don't need any unless I lose a lot of weight, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. I rarely buy many clothes at Goodwill unless something catches my eye, or they have the 99 cent sale. I got a faux leather jacket there once that looked like it had never been worn. $4. And I got those capris for 99 cents and couldn't pass that up. But it takes a long time to go through the clothes and when we go there we are rarely there longer than 15-20 min. I buy books there but don't always have time to go through all the books.

Mary, my friend used to take something in water that she said helped her lose weight. She said when you use it you can't eat any sugar and you have to take it at bedtime on an empty stomach. I told her if I never ate sugar and went to bed on an empty stomach every night I wouldn't have had a weight problem in the first place. LOL I don't think they even sell that stuff anymore. She got it on QVC. I will have to look into those essential oils you are using.

Gayle, I get my frozen salmon at Walmart. It is sold in bags and they have either skin on or skinless and the serving size pieces are wrapped separately. Very convenient for me. Naturally the skinless is more expensive but that's what DH likes. I don't mind the skin-on because after I cook it the skin peels right off. I like to save money. LOL I just take out the number of pieces I want and reseal the bag. I think the skinless is about $9 for a 2lb bag, but I'm not certain.

I tried to post a link to them but the link won't work. Maybe I'm not allowed to post that link. If you go to Walmart.com and put in "frozen salmon" the first 2 items that come up are the ones I buy. Blue package.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-12-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #6  

We planned to go to the gym this morning but didn't make it. I had all my usual night issues and didn't get enough sleep. I thought dh went on his own but when I finally got up he was still here. After breakfast he laid down in his recliner and fell asleep too! So he's now working in the yard and I just had breakfast.

I have bought tickets for a Ladies Night Out at a cabinetry company. They are supposed to have lots of vendors and my dd is one of them. They serve food, snacks, wine and beer and have things to look at, sample and buy. The first 50 get swag bags so I plan to be there early. Also thought if I get there early I might be able to help my dd in some way. I have asked a family member to go join me but not sure yet if she is so I may just be wandering around on my own. Oh well, I've already bought my ticket and the money goes for a good cause...I'll enjoy what I want and come home if I get bored. I rarely go out on my own so something different. It will be next month.

I have bought more clothes in the last couple months than I've bought in years! And I'm still tempted to buy more, holding off so far though. I do still have one skirt coming though. That makes me three new skirts, I think about 10 new tops and 11 leggings. The leggings just roll up in a drawer but the tops and skirts are filling my closet along with what I already had. I hope I get good use out of all of them. I may give away some of my old clothes but want to do it a little at a time. Usually even on the long chance I do lose a lot of weigh (HA!), I can still wear the same size esp on top, they just fit better. Last time I lost significant weight I lost 20# before anyone even noticed and before I changed clothing size. So not too worried about that. My arms and legs usually get slimmer first...and esp my legs. My upper arms are large and I wonder where all that loose skin is going to go to if I lose.

I said yesterday that the little essential oil drink seemed to help me not eat so much. Well, I still don't know if it was that or not but I did drop down 1# overnight. But then I go up and down though I seem to stay longer at the top number these days. Still trying to get down to my sig again..2# to go. So tired of this. Tempted to drop one of those little green pills but I know I need them for my bs. I will try the drink again today.

I've seen similar bags of frozen fish like you describe, Carol Sue, in Costco. I have a Walmart near me now but have not shopped a lot there. We use it mainly for a quick run to the store for something we need or if we need a non-food item. So glad to have it though I know many people hate Walmart here. I do my weekly shopping at New Seasons Market...and love the organic produce and meat there. The organic dairy is usually cheaper there too. If I'm not buying meat, I'll often just go to Winco...it's across from our gym so is handy and not so far from home as New Seasons. Then in the opposite direction is our new Walmart, so it's our "need fast" shopping place.
Sometimes dh will already be shopping there or on his way home and I can call him to pick up something. So convenient. And then about once a month (sometimes twice) we shop at Costco to get the things that there are coupons for.

I can seldom find that good filtered milk I was buying...disappointed about that, but hopefully it will come back.

Our weather is cloudy and cooler last couple days, but not cold. Looks like the sun might be trying to come out this morning. I kinda like it like this...I like sunny days too but this is more like our natural NW weather and I don't care for really hot days.

Going to do a quick mop of my main bath floor and clean the mirror and shower door. Then moving on to the kitchen and see what I can get done there today. Yesterday I noticed how dirty my laundry area is...it's in the garage, not shut in, so impossible to keep clean. So I hope to get out there and organize and clean. Recently I ordered a free (paid shipping) pack of laundry soap and fabric softener. They are natural products. I like them so continued this month. They are much smaller bottles than I am used to, but I only use a small amount so they last a long time. I haven't even started the second pack. It comes in concentrated packs and you mix it with water in the original bottles they send you. I'll try it for a while longer at least, so far it seems to work well. You can change the subscription as you like. I don't do laundry as often now that I have larger hampers. I only do the laundry when at least one section of the hamper is full or one of us needs clothes. Each big bag of the hamper seems to be two loads (like delicate load and regular load in each) so far. But really my washer tub is much larger than I ever need to use, it's huge compared to my old washer.

Karrine - Glad you found the problem before a fire occurred. Continuing to pray for both Nan and you. You are a great help to her and need healthing and strength to do it.

Ok, off to start my day...very late...but that's ok....I'm retired!

Last edited by maryea; 04-12-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #7  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

A partly sunny day here today.

I've been busy today ~ doing puttery stuff. Sometimes though, that kind of stuff ~ at the end of the day, you know you did stuff, but because it was just little puttery stuff ~ it doesn't feel like I did much.

Maddie had left a partial glass of water on the table last night (had a lid on it with a straw in it). I thought about moving it, but thought ~ it only has just a little bit of water in it ~ so I just left it there. Well, somewhere along the line, it tipped over and the water ran out the straw and went all up under stuff that was on the table. So, it took some time cleaning that all up.

Right now (being here), I am procrastinating. There are some bananas in the fridge ~ they have gotten too ripe to eat ~ I need to look at them and decide if they are too far gone, or if I could still cut them up and freeze the chunks and use them for smoothies. I goofed up and the ones we bought the other day were too ripe to start with as we already had a few left that we needed to use first. Sigh.....I hate messing up and wasting stuff.

I didn't get to talk to mom yesterday ~ the nurse said she was sleeping and told me that mom had fallen a bit ago and she didn't want to disturb her right then. She didn't break anything, but got some skin tears on her hand. The nurse said that she feels that mom's dementia is progressing. And that mom is less alert than she used to be, her speech is getting harder to understand and that she just isn't the same as she used to be. I knew that eventually, she would decline, but even knowing it will happen ~ it is still sad.

I kind of have to chuckle at myself ~ I am surrounded by electronics ~ my lap top in front of me ~ with several tabs open (e-mail, 3 Fat Chicks, Facebook, Pinterest), my cell phone to my right ~ been texting with my daughters. The iPad mini (a couple Words With Friends games in progress) and another tablet (looking up on Amazon ~ for Kindle books ~ specifically cookbooks with recipes for 2 for a small crock pot) on my left. I do get up and about ~ I am not glued to this seat all day ~ LOL.

I wasn't very good with the food this weekend ~ I ate wrong and did it knowingly. Doing better so far the last couple days. Evening sometimes seems to be hard. I will do well all day, then it kind of falls apart in the evening. Today, I tried a recipe I had been wanting to try. A mini pizza ~ the crust part was made with a pita bread, topped with a couple teaspoons of spaghetti sauce, some vegetarian cheese, slices of zucchini and mushrooms. 400* in the toaster oven for 5 minutes. It came out well and was very tasty. You could use regular mozarella cheese and top it with anything you like.

I guess maybe I will get off and do the personals another time. I haven't walked on the treadmill yet today, so maybe can get that done. My knee is bothering still, so maybe I will do that, maybe not , or maybe only one session (15 min) instead of 2. I did good yesterday ~ walked twice and got all my PT exercises done.

Hope you all are having a good day.

Last edited by glynne; 04-12-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:00 AM   #8  

Good morning everyone,
Finally have a day where I can stay home with no appointments or errands to run. I am going to spring clean my laundry room today as I want to wash the floor before my new dryer comes tomorrow and re-arrange things in my cupboards. I sold my laptop that I bought in 2011 which is almost like new as I thought it would be handy to use in other rooms in the house which didn't happen. I have been keeping it updated with Windows updates and have deleted all my personal stuff from it. A man is coming to pick it up at 10 am this morning. I only got $80.00 for it....he sure got a bargain. We are going to get a pizza for dinner tonight as a treat. I went for my mammogram yesterday and all went well.

Carol Very interesting that you can still buy large cans of salmon where you live. Speaking of clothes....I tried on a summer blouse yesterday and it was too snug across the chest so now I am worried that all my summer tops might be too snug. I best start trying things on and buy new ones if need be.

Mary Sounds like you are all set now with your wardrobe and all your recent purchases. You sure do have a variety.

Gayle doing all puttery stuff around the house adds up but I feel good when I have a day like that when any clutter is back in it's own space. I used to make a banana loaf when I have over ripened bananas. So sorry to hear that your mom's dementia is getting worse. I sure wish they would find a cure or medicine that would slow it down.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 04-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Karrine, I'm wondering if the lack of large cans of salmon is only in Canada? Here is what I see here, although I don't always buy the big cans. They show them on the Walmart website and you have to enter your zip code to see if they have them in your area.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-13-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #10  

What happened to my post?!! I posted my usual "book"...started this morning and finished after I got home from the dentist and shopping. And it's GONE!
Maybe I forgot to submit Thought I did. That never happened to me before...not a whole post.

Well anyway that's all I've done to day...had a good checkup, he tightened my partial which had become lose, and the girls told me I was rockin the Lularoe! My dd gave them all leggings in Feb. She still drives over here for the same dentist as she went to school with him.

Yesterday I forgot some grocery items...not sure why but they weren't on my list. I think I can get by tonight without them so will wait and go out tomorrow. Tonight I'm fixing curried steak and rice. There will be asparagus in the steak dish.

Just about finished folding the last load of laundry...it's taken me that long for those two loads! Then I still have to clean a bit in the bathroom and mop the floor then start the kitchen cause I didn't do that yesterday. Also still need to clean and organize my laundry area. May not get it all done today though.

Glynne - I'm the same way with electronics...although mostly with my desktop. Way too easy for me to get on it and time flies. I've really slacked off on going to the gym and even riding the bike here at home altho I do both now and then.

Karrine - Yes I think the man is getting a good deal, but I don't know prices .
And if you weren't using it at least you will get some extra cash. I'm glad you have such a good match in your tenant. Sometimes renting out your home can be a horror story. Pizza sounds good! I think we still have the large cans of salmon but not for sure as haven't looked for it in a long time.

ETA: I took my essential oil drink again last evening and again I didn't eat so much and dropped another pound...still just trying to get down to my sig weight of course, and not sure the drink is the reason. Will take again this evening. I take it late afternoon or right after dinner because that's when my hunger really hits usually.

Last edited by maryea; 04-13-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:46 AM   #11  

Good morning everyone,
Where did everyone go yesterday.....only a couple of posts LOL. My new dryer is coming this morning sometime between 9 - 12. I got the laundry room spring cleaned yesterday which made me feel good because I managed to remove some nasty floor marks. I want to purchase a pair of summer outdoor slip on shoes with no laces and I noticed they are on sale this coming week at a store near me so I'll go check it out. Nan isn't doing so well for the past couple of days due to something wrong with the base of her neck. We don't know if it is the cancer or a muscle spasm. If it isn't any better today I think she should call the doctor.

Carol I think you are right in that they don't sell the large cans of salmon here in Canada. The US has tons of things we can't buy here.

Mary I am way overdue for a dentist appointment for a cleaning. Once I know what Nan's radiation schedule is I'll make my own appointment.

Hello to everyone else and have a good day,
Karrine
Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 2"

Sure wish I had energy and breath to do even 1/4 what I did only 10 years ago. Today's walk was 3/4 mile in sunshine, but I had to stop 2 times to get my breath. DH goes with me because he is afraid I'll fall or can't make it all the way. I'm glad I could to at least this today.

Yesterday's day at the Gym was the best in ages. Also checked out that kind of gym in area near my daughter. WOW! What a wonderful big gym with lots of good equipment, high ceiling, lots of light, and machines I haven't tried in ages. I love the rowing machine and they have two. Next Wednesday I'll go there on my way to get my massage just beyond that place. Hope I have energy as I did yesterday.

Electronics? Gayle, you were really surrounded.

Each piece here is in a different room. I do enjoy having something near the TV so I can play games or such while DH is beside me watching his stuff.

Mary I envy you that when you loose it is in lower part of body. That is my largest, and it is the upper body that first shows weight loss. At this time my upper body is the largest ever. My new fleece jacket that would be so warm is tight in the arms. I"m determined it will fit before I need it next year.

Walking in sunshine today with DH for 3/4 mile. (still so hard) So thankful for living in a pretty and safe neighborhood. Our yard looks great with flowering plants, grass lush and well taken care of by DH, and the promise of more plants showing.

Karrine Your day sounds like mine - get to stay home all day and it feels great. Hope to finally finish some of the jobs I've begun but had to quit to run someplace.

Yesterday was my heaviest day with lots of appointments and extra trips such as to library, mail taxes, and check out new Gym close to DD#3. Home before 6:00 PM and felt fine. Thank goodness.

Today I have to push and push to get myself doing anything. Sandy
Old 04-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #13  

Just got home from the gym. I went back to my recent previous routine as I felt the need to walk a bit. Stopped at the store for the groceries I had forgotten on way home.

Tonight is pizza night with the kids the beginning of our new tradition.

As far as our body built...I have decided that we are what we are, and it's all good....we just need to eat and live healthy to make ourselves the best we can be.

My gd called dh's phone on Facetime...I don't have it on my android of course, and we both have talked to her a long time...watching what she and her bro are doing. She's on a "break" from school ...must be a long break.
First time she's FaceTimed us though...her bro used to a lot...that's one thing I really like about iPhones. I do have it on my iPad but I forget to use it. Should do it more esp since my dd will be moving soon and that's a good way to keep in touch. Children grow up so fast.

I'm feeling very sleepy...think I'll lay down for a few minutes before I get to work. Just want to do just a little cleaning in the main bath still and then mop the kitchen floor. Shouldn't take too long.

Hope you are all having a good day!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 AM   #14  

Good morning everyone,
I should have known better than to order a dryer off the internet without going to the store. It is my mistake that I ordered a dryer that is way too big for my needs and has a steam function that I should have realized needs water and I don't have the right hose connections for that. I'm going to make a trip to the store this morning to see if I can return it and purchase a smaller easy to use one with manual and not electronic controls. I get so mad at myself for this very STUPID mistake. They are calling for a nice day here today....nice enough that I would be able to start raking the yard and but now I have this dryer problem to deal with. Sorry for ranting but I am so angry with myself. I couldn't sleep last night for worrying about all this. Laundry day is tomorrow so don't know what I'll do about that yet.

Sandy and Mary It sounds like you are both really keeping in shape with the walking and gym. Good for both of you.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 04-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #15  

Height: 5' 2"

Karrine Doggone the problems with appliances! Sure hope they let you exchange it.
We did a similar thing several years ago. We have only 4 feet between one side of Kitchen and the other. The refrigerator was floor model and within our price so when they brought it I was floored. It came way out into the room and I hated it. We would have to pay a "restocking fee" and fee to come get it. THEN . . .

My rug was soaked the next day and it was a faulty ice maker. They tried to fix it . . . and finally came to get it and let us choose a smaller one that fit with just a bit of extra money. The rug was one I hated and old. We ended up replacing it because the water had really damaged it.

I remember Dad saying as he repaired things. "MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE." Never thought I'd have to measure a refrigerator. When did they start making appliances such huge sizes?

Mary Be thankful you can't use "facetime" I hate it. I refuse to use it altho I think my phone will show it. Our SIL loves it and I do enjoy him showing off our great grandkids when they visit. We watch in Ted's phone.

Gayle So sorry your Mom is going down hill. I remember how hard it was and confusing, too. Ted's sister is still getting rehab, but her mood swings are driving her daughter to tears. She isn't the same woman she was only a month ago.

CarolSue Thought of you as DH and I went for a walk in the neighborhood. I do love being out, but agree that getting home and in the house felt extra good. I only stopped once on the 3/4 mile walk. Best this year. I'll keep trying, got no choice. I'm at 226 pounds and it scares DH to death. Weeks of cut food has made almost no difference in weight, but I am getting tired less often.

No rain expected, and we may be heading for a drought and extra heat this summer. Thank goodness for Air Conditioning.

Sandy
Closed Thread