Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 120kg/100/80/69

Default Motivation to start?

Hi I'm new to this forum. Well I became a member yrs ago but never an active one. I'm a mother to 5 gorgeous children and have just weaned my youngest off breastfeeding. He turns 2 in May .
I'm 130kgs. Just typing it has made me cry. I know how to lose weight but why can't I start? How do I get the motivation? I want to live life with my kids to the fullest. I want to travel and wear nice clothes and most importantly I want to be a great healthy role model to my kids. Just starting is the problem for me :,(
DoItWithAsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/174/155

Height: 5'6"

HI there I love your DOITWITHASMILE name. Wow 5 kids what a blessing so think of what your body has gone through to bring those kiddos here. Take one day at a time and small changes everyday will add up to big changes over time.
Walk more eat a little less everyday .Welcome back on here and be kind to yourself,if you trip up just get right back on plan.
Good luck
merowi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

Welcome Doitwithasmile! Getting started is the hardest part! We have four kids ourselves and a nephew who lives with us part of the time so I know how hard it is to lose when you're around food all day. I started losing weight a little over a year ago. I was at 213 pounds. Right now I'm in the 160's and I still have a ways to go. During this past year my commitment level has ebbed and flowed. Each time it gets too low I've started to get back into a more serious mode by changing one habit first.

In fact, that's how I started this whole weight loss thing - I gave up Diet Coke (and all artificial sweeteners) in August of 2014. Didn't lose any weight from it but it was a bad habit that needed to be broken before I could begin weight loss. So that's how I suggest you start things. Start by changing one habit. It doesn't have to be food necessarily. Maybe you could start by walking two miles every day. Or, and maybe I'm projecting my own miserable sleepers on you here - you're not getting enough sleep! If you're not, I'd make sleep priority number one in any weight loss journey. In any case, once you're well entrenched in habit number one (whatever it is), try incorporating another habit. I know it doesn't get you the fast dramatic weight loss that going on a crash diet does, but you may find that these changes are ones that you can incorporate for life.

For instance, I'm off artificial sweeteners for life. And even when I'm in low motivation/maintenance mode, my bread intake is much lower than it was when I was really heavy. Another change I made (but only after I was down almost 40 pounds) was to try to get 10k steps in each day. More recently I began doing couch to 5k. And I did it! I did take last week off from running, but I really feel it and now I'm ready to jump back in and start up training again. The change in your body will come if you hang in there.

Right now I'm coming off some heavier than normal carb Easter eating. So today, all sweets are gone. I'm going to continue eating bread for at least a few more days because I really don't want to get the low carb flu. I want to ease back into low carbs. Once I'm a few days into low carb mode I find my willpower to resist the junk the kids are eating to be very high. Turns out carbs beget carb cravings for me.

Good luck and enjoy your babies!

Last edited by Treasa; 04-04-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW 233/SW 230/207/165

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoItWithAsmile View Post
I want to live life with my kids to the fullest. I want to travel and wear nice clothes and most importantly I want to be a great healthy role model to my kids.
Those seem to me to be 4 great things to be motivated for!

When you start putting food in your mouth or go for another portion, ask yourself, "Does this piece of _______ help me 1) live life to the fullest with my kids? 2) Help me have the energy to travel 3) Help me to be able to wear the clothes I want to 4) Help me be a good role model for my kids?"

Maybe next time, you will opt out of that bigger portion or substitute something lower calorie to help with those goals. They seem mighty important to me!

Last edited by katiam247; 04-04-2016 at 12:59 PM.
katiam247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #5  

I don't know watch some motivation videos like Rocky training montage or something like that xD"
SadWyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoItWithAsmile View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum. Well I became a member yrs ago but never an active one. I'm a mother to 5 gorgeous children and have just weaned my youngest off breastfeeding. He turns 2 in May .
I'm 130kgs. Just typing it has made me cry. I know how to lose weight but why can't I start? How do I get the motivation? I want to live life with my kids to the fullest. I want to travel and wear nice clothes and most importantly I want to be a great healthy role model to my kids. Just starting is the problem for me :,(

Hi DoItWithAsmile, I agree that getting started can sometimes be the hardest part. I find it really helpful to set up myself for success by throwing things away that I KNOW I have trouble saying no to. I keep lots of fresh fruits washed and ready to go, for example a bowl of grapes in the fridge and apples and bananas out on the counter. I know it is hard with kids because their food is always around - sometimes I buy snacks, etc. for them that are not as appealing to me but the kids like just the same. I also look at exercising in small, managable chunks - like a 10-minute walk or walking from a farther parking spot. These small bouts add up! I hope this helps
healthylivingalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

It's a journey, not a sprint.

Don't get overwhelmed. Pick just one thing, conquer that, move on to the next!

So, let's say, start steering you and the family towards a healthier breakfast. With lots of children, and depending on what they are used to, this may take a bit of time, but that is ok.

Conquer that!

Commit to 15 minutes of activity of any kind, by yourself, and or with the family.

One thing so important, YOU are worth taking care of yourself. You can't be any good to anyone else, if you are not happy.

In the long run, small changes, do ADD UP! It might seem like a mountain, but you won't get to the top, if you don't start.

Break it down into small things.

I know, YOU CAN DO THIS!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote