Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat March 21 - March 27

Spent the weekend getting predictions of the snow from Storm Regis - ranging from zero to 8 inches. I look out my window now at a scant inch on the ground with a light fall. We can survive, LOL.

My weekend was spent with friends and tons of food. I'm in the just-glad-I-survived mentality. Back on track starting today.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We're expecting a cool-down here. Perhaps down 10 degrees which should put us back to normal. It's too early for these 90's temperatures.

DS is home for spring break from school. Nice having him here. DD and her husband came for dinner Saturday and we had a nice little party. We golfed yesterday (and I did a lot better than normal) and we're golfing with our financial advisors Thursday. That should be interesting.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #3  
Workin' It

It is cold here today too, Allison. I went for a run after dropping the boy at school and my hands are still cold and stiff. It was 37 when I went out, didn't really warm up when the sun came up as the wind started picking up about then.

The boy ate half a pork chop Saturday night without fuss, the second time we've done this meal. Said it only tasted 75% bad this time. Baby steps. LOL
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Nothing new here. But it was a great mostly sunny day.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #5  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

One of my good friends was diagnosed with metastatic ovarian cancer this weekend. We met when my oldest DS (17) and her DD went to pre-school together, and are still close. I'm completely devastated. We're still waiting for the pathology to come back on her biopsy, but the CT scan of her abdomen shows tumor all over her peritoneum, and they drained 3 liters of fluid from there today because the tumor cells are excreting so much of it. I can only hope that, because they're apparently dividing so vigorously, they'll be very sensitive to a chemo regimen (the more active the cell division, the easier it usually is to kill them).
It is especially heartbreaking that she was so happy to have lost 18 pounds since August. Mind you, she was trying- the weight loss was intentional, and done "sensibly." Now, she has very little muscle mass going in to what will doubtless be a grueling regimen of chemotherapy, where she will not have the energy to walk up stairs, let alone do muscle-building workouts. I'm trying to convince her that putting on a few pounds of fat right now is in her best interest, but it's a tough sell.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #6  

Andrea . I hope for the best outcome for your friend.

Dagmar
Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #7  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Andrea, I'm so sorry. One of my mentors was diagnosed with stage IV invasive EOC twenty years ago, when I first met her. She is still alive and in remission today. I wish your friend the very best possible outcome.

Last edited by JayZeeJay; 03-22-2016 at 11:28 AM.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #8  
Workin' It

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Andrea.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I thought I posted this morning but I got busy at work and it didn't seem to happen.

Was just saying that I'm praying for your friend, Andrea.

My book fair and Read-a-thon are over and I'm working hard to finalize everything and put it behind me!

My dh comes home from China tomorrow and I can't wait to see him after this morning's terrible news in Brussels (where he travels as well).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Andrea, what terrible news about your friend I have found a wonderful supportive online community at breastcancer.org, and I wonder if there is a similar ovarian cancer community. Conversing with women in a similar situation has really helped my state of mind and very much reduced my fears about treatment. I'm still having radiation, but I'm doing moderate workouts a few times a week. Today I resumed my weekly workouts with my trainer. I've definitely lost upper body muscle since my surgery in January. Right now I'm trying to recoup as much as I can in the four or five weeks before I start chemo. Lately my calories have been 200-300 per day higher than normal but I haven't seen a weight gain yet. Maybe the radiation is cooking them away I hope your friend will take your advice, and also I hope she will do what she can for exercise right now.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #11  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Andrea, I wish you and your friend well going forward with this diagnosis.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #12  

Took the day off today. Freezing rain's making it impossible to drive or walk. Two of my clients emailed and suggested it so I thought "why not"? I have taken 4 days off for horrible weather conditions in 22 years so I thought today was OK to do so.

The pets are kinda confused but hanging around with me. I'm going to try to do a couple of errands on foot so that I can go and see "American Photography and Film, 1950s to 1980s" at the Art Gallery of Ontario Saturday afternoon.

Dagmar