Old 03-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #1  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Why am I still struggling? WHY?

I have been struggling with my weight for over ten years. Yes I am 20, but I have been overweight my whole life and started dieting in the 5th grade.

I keep trying and trying but I'm still not where I want to be..
I have ordered books, I have 4 fitness programs (TurboJam, TurboFire, Insanity and just ordered PiYo)

Yet... I'm still here, 60 pounds (ish) overweight.
I know what I need to do, and I do enjoy healthy foods. I just get cravings and usually eat too much. Even when I try to eat treats in moderation, I still fail.
I've told myself countless times that I'm simply going to do it.
Then I wake up and find myself heavier.

Why... Someone please help. It's killing me inside.
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Look, you are really young so ease up on yourself!

The trick is to focus on eating healthy consistently. Don't worry about how much so much but keep it really clean and healthy. The treats are what cause the problems.

And exercise, again consistently. But don't exercise just to lose weight. Find exercise you enjoy. Find exercise that makes you feel nice (if not while doing it then at least afterwards). Find exercise that you can do with other people that is fun.

The secret is to find a diet and exercise combination that works for you and makes you feel nice. Not to just lose weight.

Last edited by IanG; 03-10-2016 at 09:06 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #3  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Look, you are really young so ease up on yourself!

The trick is to focus on eating healthy consistently. Don't worry about how much so much but keep it really clean and healthy. The treats are what cause the problems.

And exercise, again consistently. But don't exercise just to lose weight. Find exercise you enjoy. Find exercise that makes you feel nice (if not while doing it then at least afterwards). Find exercise that you can do with other people that is fun.

The secret is to find a diet and exercise combination that works for you and makes you feel nice. Not to just lose weight.
Thanks Ian. I hope PiYo is that for me. Plus I needed something new.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm a food addict

I wanna take at least a little bit off before I go to the beach!
Think it's possible to lose 20 pounds in two months?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

There is nothing wrong with enjoying food or being a "food addict". I am!

Just get addicted to eating good, healthy stuff. Not sh!t, heavily processed stuff!

If you eat really clean, healthy foods that nourish your body you should be in good shape. And by clean I mean vegetables, some fruit, lean protein, nuts, low fat dairy etc. etc.

Eat foods that are good for you and provide great nutrition in terms of protein, fiber, goods fats, vitamins and minerals. Not crap.

And then you should be good. Think about everything you put in your mouth in terms of "is this good for me?" from a nutrition, not just a weightloss perspective.

And at 5'2", 200lbs, 20 pounds loss in 2 months I would say is perfectly doable if you can find a sweet spot.

Exercise. Eat completely clean. Try to eat less but don't go crazy and you should be good.

Last edited by IanG; 03-10-2016 at 09:42 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #5  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

You know, I think that's my problem. I always tried to cut back too much. Gonna really give this a try..
Old 03-11-2016, 04:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Hi there and welcome! I am in a similar place to you, I am pretty overweight and I have been my whole life. I agree with what has been said above about consistency, and I know how hard it is to stop over eating. I would be still in the same position if I hadn't had a health scare that made it a life or death manner to lose weight and to lose weight now. I joined a 12 week challenge at my local gym and that came with a diet plan and an exercise regimen and it has worked wonders, I have lost almost 20 pounds in 7 weeks. Having really strict guidelines has helped me. I still have heaps to go, but it is a start! How do you exercise? What works best for you?
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #7  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

I love my Beachbody programs, they always kick my butt.
I ordered PiYo which is more calesthenic based, so I'm hopeful for that, because I should be doing something more strength-based.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #8  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

I feel you Emily. I am in my late 20s and have struggled with my weight on and off since I was 10. My relationship with food is one I struggle with daily to gain control of and I can relate to you on that front because I often ask myself why. Recently I have been on a good path and I put effort in everyday to eat foods that will propel me towards my goal of being fit and healthy for the rest of my life. I am interested to know how Piyo works for you because I also love the beach body programs, right now I do T25 but I am not following the program, right now I just do the DVDs 3-4 days a week but even that has helped me begin reaching my goals. I wish you the best, this is a great forum to discuss and ask questions with. We are all just doing the best we can and trying to help each other out along the way!!
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/133/125

Height: 5'5

I'm so sorry you're struggling so much and I can definitely relate to struggling with my weight for 10 years and more. I think in the end, most of us struggle with using food to deal with emotional issues and some of us scientifically just have a stronger reaction to food so don't be too hard on yourself. I think the most important part is to try to find an eating plan and exercise plan that you enjoy and that works for you and you may have to accept that it may take longer than you'd like to find it. But as long as you're trying and don't give up and keep adjusting based on what you learn. When you start getting cravings, try to find non-food replacements to make you forget them: talk with friends, go for a walk, work on a creative project, read, whatever makes you happy without food. It's super hard I know but take it one day at a time Good luck!
Zucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #10  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I can only echo what others have said, but here's my take on weight loss. This is something I'd say to anyone, including myself when I feel like I need a push!

Losing weight isn't about dieting, it isn't about buying a book that will tell you you'll lose x lbs in x days, it's about changing your lifestyle. The way you've been living has gotten you to this point, your habits and your routines have caused you to become overweight. Instead of trying to find a cheat sheet to losing weight, you need to look inside and learn why you live the way you do. Do you find you reach for fast food when you're feeling stressed? Do you find when you're out at a restaurant you have a "screw it, I'll order 3 courses" mentality? Why? Addressing those issues and breaking them down and really facing them will help you deconstruct the motivations behind overeating, and in the future before experiencing these emotions you can tackle them logical and hopefully convince yourself not to repeat past mistakes.

Start educating yourself on healthy eating from a source that isn't trying to sell you a meal plan/fitness routine. Learn what is good for you and learn why junk food really is terrible. Learn how to give your body the BEST fuel you can possibly give it. Once you start eating healthy you'll experience less sugar crashes that cause you to become glum and you'll find you feel energized and revitalized. This doesn't mean going cold turkey and eating a carrot for lunch, don't limit yourself like that right off the bat. Start by making substitutions in your life - instead of sugary cereal go whole grain cereal, instead of white bread, use brown bread, instead of eating chips eat a small handful of unsalted nuts. Slowly add substitutions into your life and build up a routine, don't try and dive in the deep end because you will struggle.

Also, I always recommend to start working out. Even if it means a brisk walk 3 times a week to make sure your heart rate is UP for 20 minutes, that will release the endorphins that will make you feel happy about your efforts. Eventually that brisk walk might turn into a jog, which could then turn into a run and before you know it you're running a 5K. If you hate running, find something that works for you. There's something out there for everyone! Combine this with healthy eating and your weight will start coming off in no time.

It does take a lot of mental effort, you're gonna get frustrated but it's important to reach out to people who understand (like us on 3FC!) to receive advice and actually apply it to your life. The people I've seen on here who actually use the advice they receive are the ones that lose the weight. The people who think they know better and just use the place to rant don't get anywhere.

Finally, it sounds so simple, but drink water. Drink it all day until your bladder can't hold it.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote