Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/240/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Hi, I'm new here :)

Hi! I posted a bit of a backstory in the introductions forum, but wanted to say hello in here, too, since I'm doing Medifast. If this winter storminess doesn't slow down the mail, my box should get here today, and I can start tomorrow!

Does anyone have tips on measuring out the "leans" without a scale?

And, what are everyone's thoughts on the 5+1 plan versus this 4+2 thing? 5+1 sounds more attractive to me, since it's hard for me to manage the meal planning and prep and still feed my family. (Yeah, I'm actually here because of the prepackaged food, lol!)
A_the_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 345/240

Height: 6'2

I'm new to medifast as well, starting as soon as my package arrives!! Good luck to you!!
mjoemomma80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #3  

Hi! Good luck to you, too! I'm finding this diet to be easier than I expected... I've only gone off plan once... It was a doozy, but only once in two weeks is encouraging to me!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #4  

This is my second time on Medifast. Last time, Life got in the way and I couldn't meet goal. But, when I did it before the 5&1 plan was the main one and they said to NOT exercise until you were close to goal weight, or if you were already exercising to not increase it. The 4&2 was one of the alternate plans for those that were very active.

Medifast has had three common complaints about it from the reviewers

1) It is too expensive
2) It told people to not exercise
3) You lost weight too fast and that couldn't be healthy.

My personal view is that the change to 4&2 isn't based on any medical reason but to answer the critics. After all, if you only buy 4 meals a day from them instead of 5, the cost of Medifast food just dropped 20%. Of course, your grocery bill goes up.
I don't think that people truly exercise enough to make up for the extra calories they get on the 4&2, so the weight loss is slower. Yet because Medifast tells people to exercise, Medifast isn't blamed when they don't lose much. So, Medifast now gets a pass on #2 and #3.
susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #5  

Huh, interesting! I'm doing the 4+2, but honestly... If "you lose weight too fast" was a complaint, maybe 5+1 is where it's at?

The price actually helps me stay on plan... Like, I spent all this money, I don't want it to be for nothing!
Old 03-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #6  

Yeah, there are some people out there that think anymore than 1 - 1.5 pounds a week is too much. (raspberry noise)

The only advice I have on leans is to buy a kitchen scale and eventually you will be able to eyeball it. Buy one that also plugs into the wall. it really stinks to be hungry and forced to change out the battery on the scale.

I found that 1 L&G was too much food at once after eating medifast meals all day. So, I split it into two 1/2 L&G meals. So, lunch at work is usually a plate of lettuce (1.5 cups) with a small packet of Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon (2.5 oz) and either Walden Farms Sugar-Free ranch (4g fat, 0g carbs) or Trader Joes Parmesan Ranch (2g fat, 2g carbs). By using the packets I don't have to measure at work. I also discovered that dividing the 1 L&G into one L meal and one G meal stopped my weight loss.

Also, I know a long time ago when people were very overweight they sometimes recommended that they start on a 6&0 plan. They didn't recommend that for very long. In fact, I bought an older Medifast book thinking I was buying the Dr A book. The info was pretty much what is online, but less. But, I enjoyed the Success Stories. One of the guys talked about going on the 6&0 with his doctor's permission and watchful eye. I love the success stories. I wish the medifast site had more of them.

Last edited by susan4; 03-10-2016 at 09:54 AM.
susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #7  
cheeky monkey

S/C/G: 367/See ticker/180

Height: 6'0"

I had to get a scale. I measure the lean in ounces and the greens in grams. My scale is battery operated and was super inexpensive (under $15 at Walmart). I found by trying to eyeball it or do the whole "eat chicken the size of a computer mouse" to not be accurate enough for me.

I too love Medifast because it is all pre-packaged. I am horrible at planning meals long-term. Which is obviously something I will have to master long before I get to maintenance so I can be successful in the long-term.
ChallengeMe is offline   Reply With Quote