South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #1  

Default Just not losing in PH1 :(

I've been on plan for 10 days now, Phase One. SBD has worked for me in the past but perhaps my age (51) and need to lose 10-15 pounds will make this harder. So far, only 3 lbs and I'm just stuck at 144.4. I've always had a little issue because I'm not a big veggie eater. Here is yesterday's menu:

Breakfast - SBD Flax Muffin and 1t low fat cream cheese, iced tea

Snack - 10 almonds

Lunch - Homemade Chickpea/Lemon Soup (chickpeas, chicken broth, 1/4 can of tomatoes, onion, garlic, 1 lemon, spices)
Side salad (lettuce, a few roasted chickpeas, sliced peppers, oil/vinegar/onion/garlic dressing)

Dinner - Spaghetti Squash Pie - (spaghetti squash, tomato sauce (low sugar), ground turkey, light shredded Mexican cheese, onions, garlic, peppers)

Dessert - 10 almonds, small dish of yogurt/cottage cheese mixed with Jello sugar free mix (1/4t)

Snack - 2 sugar free caramel hard candies (been using these for years when in PH1 and that never caused at issue)

Thanks for your ideas - wondering if maybe as we get older certain diets are better than others?

Lauri
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Repeat Phase 1s don't seem to have the wow effect the first one did. I think you're right, you only have a small amount to lose, so it's going to take longer. Personally, I think 3 lbs in 10 days is incredible, at our age or any age! It looks like you are working at getting those vegetables in. Keep up the good work!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Yes, age stinks, and I'm only 44 .

Reaching back into the cobwebs of my brain - aren't we only supposed to have one serving nuts/day? As well, did you get 2 cups of veggies at lunch - you had a salad, but mostly romaine, and not a lot of other veggies. The only other thought I had was portion size of dinner.

And I also fully agree with Cyndi - the giant weight loss is the first time around, not on the follow ups. Darned it.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

I'm 44 too and every pound seems to talk a lot more effort than in years past. I believe two servings of nuts is ok on P1. A sneaky way to add veggies in, make your salad with spinach instead of lettuce. I despise spinach cooked yet I like it as a salad base. Are you drinking enough water?
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #5  

I'm drinking water/ice tea like a camel (I keep looking for the hump, maybe that's adding weight? ;-)

I've been careful with the nuts and splitting what an actual serving is.

I'm just not great with veggies but I keep trying.

I'm up a pound again today It makes NO sense. Here is yesterdays menu:

Breakfast - Scrambled Egg with Ham, Cloud Bread with 1 t lowfat cream cheese (plain)

Snack - Almonds (5 or so)

Lunch - Salad with romaine, sliced peppers, almonds (5), and oil/vinegar
Soup - Garbanzo Bean (as in previous menu)

Snack - 1/4 cup plain yogurt with SF Jello mixed in

Dinner - Roast Pork, onions, garlic and mustard
Garbanzo Bean Soup (about 1/2 cup, it was the end of it)
Cloud Bread with basil, garlic on top

Lots of water and ice tea (unsweet) all day

The only thing I can wonder is if it's the beans? I know on SBD they are recommended but that is about the only thing that has carbs. I know technically we don't count carbs but what else could be making me hold onto this weight?

Thanks all, I am so frustrated and am wondering if this time maybe I need something else.

Lauri
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 5"

I'll chime in and say if you weren't eating a lot of sugar/refined flour/white rice/etc then your weight loss in the first few weeks won't be as dramatic as the first time around. As I entered my 50's I started regaining and found the weight creeping back up as my metabolism changed. I had to pay attention to portion size as well as food choices.

Don't give up yet (easier said than done, I know). 10 days really isn't a long time, although it may feel like it. It probably took you longer than that to put the weight on, right?

Stick with it a bit longer and remember you are probably eating healthier than before, especially if you are eating more veggies.

Last edited by Beth19; 02-24-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Are you working out? I find my progress stalls if I am working out hard and don't increase my calories. Beth is right if you were eating pretty clean your WL won't be dramatic. However then you know you are losing fat not just water weight. Daily fluctuations are normal yet frustrating I know. I pick one day for the week to count as my "number" but I do weigh myself daily. Hormones do play a role in this too.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I find if I eat anything salty (ham!), the weight will be up the next day. Watch your fluctuations and you'll learn what does it.

What is cloud bread? That's phase I friendly?
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote